AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 13806 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/19960881

Just curious. Has it been confirmed that outboard DACs will have access to raw PCM from HDMI sources feeding the CB-IIIHD? Is the sample rate conversion the key to this?

Yes it has been confirmed by Theta. I was told there was plenty of bandwidth.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 /forum/post/19961039

Yes it has been confirmed by Theta. I was told there was plenty of bandwidth.

Thanks, but bandwidth is not the issue. It's HDCP. Would hate to see all these expensive Gen VIII V2 DACs fall silent when playing HDMI sources.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/19961142

Thanks, but bandwidth is not the issue. It's HDCP. Would hate to see all these expensive Gen VIII V2 DACs fall silent when playing HDMI sources.

Roger,

All I can tell you is I asked this exact question and was told that Theta was using a CB3 HD with a Gen VIII v2 (via digiout card) and everything worked. Everything meaning SACD, DVD-A ect..

I certainly do not want to spend the money to get this thing upgraded and not be able to perform those functions. Issue is we are still waiting for a report from someone that got the upgrade and is using a GEN VIII to report in.

·
Registered
21,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 /forum/post/19961312

Roger,

All I can tell you is I asked this exact question and was told that Theta was using a CB3 HD with a Gen VIII v2 (via digiout card) and everything worked. Everything meaning SACD, DVD-A ect..

I certainly do not want to spend the money to get this thing upgraded and not be able to perform those functions. Issue is we are still waiting for a report from someone that got the upgrade and is using a GEN VIII to report in.

Yes, once I get my CB3 HD back I will hopefully be able to quickly verify [email protected]@@

·
Registered
21,661 Posts
Decided to try a Blu Ray disc via 2 channel analog XLR from Marantz to Gen 8. Went in Marantz menu and set to downmix, and to output PCM instead of bitstream, so that the Marantz does the high rez codec decoded to PCM and output over digital coaxial cable. Guess what? Output
PCM stereo audio fine. Actually, with all blu ray players that I’ve had, you can go in the menu and set the player to output bitstream, or to convert to PCM and output PCM. So if you were to set the player to bitstream, the CB3 HD will them simply decode the bitstream to PCM and output that PCM over digital cable, from the digital out card, to the Gen 8. Clearly there has been a lot of misunderstanding, in that the HDMI authorities have permitted the output of hi rez PCM all along, its just video that will be downsampled out of analog outputs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky
Decided to try a Blu Ray disc via 2 channel analog XLR from Marantz to Gen 8. Went in Marantz menu and set to downmix, and to output PCM instead of bitstream, so that the Marantz does the high rez codec decoded to PCM and output over digital coaxial cable. Guess what? Output
PCM stereo audio fine. Actually, with all blu ray players that I've had, you can go in the menu and set the player to output bitstream, or to convert to PCM and output PCM. So if you were to set the player to bitstream, the CB3 HD will them simply decode the bitstream to PCM and output that PCM over digital cable, from the digital out card, to the Gen 8. Clearly there has been a lot of misunderstanding, in that the HDMI authorities have permitted the output of hi rez PCM all along, its just video that will be downsampled out of analog outputs.
But I don't think that the Gen VIII displays the bit rate of the signal that it's processing. How do you know whether it's being transferred at 96khz as opposed to 48 khz?

·
Registered
21,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccaff
But I don't think that the Gen VIII displays the bit rate of the signal that it's processing. How do you know whether it's being transferred at 96khz as opposed to 48 khz?
The Gen 8 doesn't tell you the bit rate. Either does the Marantz. Neither did the Oppo 83 I no longer own. But my understanding is that when a blu ray player converts bitstream to PCM, that the PCM is output at 96-24.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Quote:
The Gen 8 doesn't tell you the bit rate. Either does the Marantz. Neither did the Oppo 83 I no longer own. But my understanding is that when a blu ray player converts bitstream to PCM, that the PCM is output at 96-24.
Steve, what about the many BDs recorded at 48/24?

·
Registered
21,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91
Steve, what about the many BDs recorded at 48/24?
I just looked at the Marantz manual. In the menu, you can set the player to downsample PCM to 48k, or otherwise I assume the player outputs full rate PCM - whatever the rate is on the blu ray. If 96k is on the blu ray disc, then it outputs 96k. If the blu ray has only 48k, then it outputs 48k,

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Quote:
BD players should be outputting HDCP 96/24 sources over S/PDIF as 48/16.

The Marantz user selector for output sample rate is just to achieve compatibility with external devices that cannot handle 96/192 kHz. It will not override HDCP requirements.

ETA: Tried some 96 kHz DVD-A discs in the Oppo, and even with the PCM sample rate limit set for 96 kHz, it outputs 48 kHz from the S/PDIF while outputting 96 kHz from HDMI, at the same time. So I guess the issue is not silence from outboard DACs, but sample rate (and maybe bit depth). Even with 48 kHz source material, the CB-IIIHD upsamples to 96 kHz and runs all post-processing and the DACs at that rate. Taking that back to 48 kHz to feed the external DACs will indeed still present audio. I guess it will all become clear(er) very soon.

·
Registered
633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/19961449

Yes, once I get my CB3 HD back I will hopefully be able to quickly verify [email protected]@@

I am curious how would it be possible to confirm that output from CB3HD dig out L/R --input to your Gen8 is 24/96 (for Bluray) if Gen8 does not display input type?

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Premium Member
7,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler
Just curious. Has it been confirmed that outboard DACs will have access to raw PCM from HDMI sources feeding the CB-IIIHD? Is the sample rate conversion the key to this?
Roger, what sample rate would Dolby Digital Plus be output, assuming no rate conversion?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not sure i understand what you guys are trying to do : how many Gen 8 are you going to use?

I thought also that both hi-rez audio and video were protected by hdcp. Beside your earing habilities, It will be difficult to be sure at 100% that hi-rez will play played thru the gen 8

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi all,

My CB3HD shipped today - woohoo!

Is there any word on the new DAC card that is supposed to be in the works and released close to the HDMI upgrade time?

Am I reading correctly - the Gen 8 V2 cannot play 192Khz audio? I thought the specs on the Theta site claims that it does?

Cheers,

Ken

·
Registered
21,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlong69 /forum/post/19968641

Hi all,

My CB3HD shipped today - woohoo!

Is there any word on the new DAC card that is supposed to be in the works and released close to the HDMI upgrade time?

Am I reading correctly - the Gen 8 V2 cannot play 192Khz audio? I thought the specs on the Theta site claims that it does?

Cheers,

Ken

There is no new DAC card for the CB3 HD in the works as far as anyone from Theta has ever stated publicly. You are ocnfused.

The Gen VIII V2 DACs are 192-24, but its receiver chip can only handle

96=24. Hopefully someday Theta will have an upgrade of this receiver chip, so that the Gen VIII can do 176-24 and 192-24.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Steve!

As for the new, high rez DAC card, I read that on the Theta website, under the FAQ section. Got to A2 for the Casablanca 3.

"A2: The team is also working on an all-balanced higher resolution Digital Output card for the Casablanca III that will likely be released once the HDMI option is available. Final pricing of that new Digital Output card has not even been estimated yet, since it's still in the midst of development. "

This is referring to the Digi Out card I assume. Not a DAC?

Ken

·
Registered
12,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger /forum/post/19966725

Roger, what sample rate would Dolby Digital Plus be output, assuming no rate conversion?

48 kHz.

·
Registered
909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/19969045

48 kHz.

Roger, you knew best. I just tested the Aix HD Sampler Disc and using the Two Channel 96/24 selection on the disc played on my Marantz UD-9004, and routing it to my PSA Perfect Wave DAC the SPDIF PCM Stream is down sampled to 48 kHz, and I wouldn't doubt that it's at a bit depth of 16, although I have no way to verify that. I also have no way to test the HDMI Output until my CB HD is returned.

Perhaps other players will pass the 96/24 PCM over SPDIF. I will try to get ahold of an Oppo this week to see. I have one coming in for a customer on Wed. The plot thickens. Norm

·
Registered
21,661 Posts
Ken, Theta simply has not updated that Q & A part of their website. There is no NEW digital out card for the CB3 HD. there is no new DAC card for the CB3 HD either. FINISH!

·
Registered
21,661 Posts
More on my Theta Generation VIII Series 2 DAC and comparison to analog XLR out of my Marantz UD9004:

2-7-2011

I connected the Marantz via digital coaxial to the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC (PWD), as the latter set to Native tells you the incoming audio resolution rate. What I found that is the if the resolution is higher than 48-24 (96-24 & 192-24) for DVD-Audio or Blu Ray music discs, or if I play a Blu Ray movie with the Marantz set to downmix to two channel PCM, that the audio resolution shown by the PWD is 48-24.

So when I've told you that the sonics of a DVD-Audio disc, or a Blu Ray music disc, are the same via coaxial digital (downsampled we know now by Marantz to 48-24 despite the higher resolution on the disc) vs stereo analog XLR out from the Marantz, I am in effect telling you that the Gen VIII Series 2 DAC sounds as good on 48-24 as the Marantz sounds full resolution (96-24 or 192-24 in some cases) XLR stereo analog out.

But lets go another step, too. The Gen VIII Series 2 manual warns you to burn in 100 hours so the Gen VIII sounds like it should. But I have a used unit well burnt in you would think.
I had watched some HDTV shows, with my DirecTV HD DVR set to downsample Dolby Digital 5.1 to PCM 2.0. I found DirecTV, connected to the Gen 8 via toslink, generally weak sounding, but better than nothing until I get my CB3 HD upgraded unit back. I wrote this off to the downsampling to PCM 2.0. Funny thing though is last night, once Super Bowl over, I watched a show and started thinking how much better it sounded for DirecTV, that it was sounding quite nice. And tonight, I watched a few HDTV shows, and it sounded awful good in two channel, with the front end sounding better than I remember, though I could tell that I was missing my subs and surrounds. Turns out that by Sunday night I had the Gen 8 on for - - - about 100 hours, either in use or on standby. I guess that everytime the Gen 8 is off for a good period of time, it requires that burn-in to sound like it should!

So I am playing that Emmylou Harris DVD-Audio disc, switching between coaxial digital
(48-24) and XLR stereo analog (96-24), and yea the coaxial digital (Gen 8 DACs) is sounding already a bit better than the analog. WOW!

So the Gen VIII Series 2 is starting to sound like a real keeper.

Also, I will keep the PSD for awhile. So when I get the CB3 HD, I will be able to hook up from the digital out card into the PWD so I can measure the audio resolution. HA!

21 - 40 of 13806 Posts