AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found no reference to this TV anywhere on the forums, so I'll try to start one, or the very least, pose my questions...

QUESTIONS:

23HLV87 combo tv. When I play widescreen (1.85:1) dvd's (ANY), if I use the Natural pic size, it displays the image inside a 4:3 pillared box, with letterbox inside that (so image is very small, but at least I see the subtitles).

If I use Full it stretches the image sidways while still displaying the letterbox.

The only way I can get the image to fill the screen widthwise while not stretching or compressing the image is to use one of the Zoom, I think it's 2. BUT, then the subtitles drop off the bottom.

This same DVD film in my Oppo 981 player with Samsumg 4661 TV shows the movie in full width, without any image resizing, and the subtitles show fully (covering partial bottom image and some of the minor black space at the bottom).

1) The latter is how it should play... how do I get it to do that on my 23HLV87?

2) Also, is there a reason the Guide from my Time Waner HD cable box (Pioneer 5210HD) would be so slow and ugly on HD channels?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD from TWC - NY connected to the 23HLV87.

I also find the guide "ugly". However, it does not seem any slower than, and just as ugly as the SA 8300HD connected to a different set in another room.

I am having a hard time finding (eye-balling) optimum settings for the various picture controls, color temperature, and back lighting control. Each "mode" looks good on some channels or programs. and lousy on others. Has anyone found "universal" settings. If so, I would greatly appreciate your posting the settings you have found true happiness with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.