AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Actually this year's sharps also have the tvguide thing, just not on the best buy model. Next year's however (ie starting aug-sept) this feature has been removed in this size range. I guess it was to save cost? I would also like to see these toshibas, since I think they make some of the better TV's on the market and usually have nice features for the money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am new to the HDTV game and I also am interested in the Toshiba 32HL95. That, or the new Samsung LN-R329D. My initial interest was a 30" tube-based CRT 30" 16:9. I have always been a Panasonic guy and have been very pleased. However, the new 30", unlike last years model, no longer has the PIP function that is a must for me. So I decided to go the extra $ and look at LCD. With my criteria of 32", PIP, "brand name" and a 2K$ limit, the Toshiba 32HL95 and Samsung LN-R329D are in the finals. Both seem like excellent choices and it is 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. The Toshiba has a better PIP flexibilty vs the faster 8ms response for the Samsung (versus the 12 for the Toshiba). Any thoughts as to quality and reliabilty of Toshiba vs Samsung? Is the 8ms vs 12ms that much of a big deal that it should tip me in the Samsung direction? Funny, or maybe not, the 32HL95 isn't listed on the Toshiba site and the CS Rep that sent me the spec sheet doesn't know if it has PIP. The spec sheet doesn't mention it but I have seen reports saying it does(?). The old "84" had the multi-screen PIP. I see from a reputable on-line retailer that they have the 32HL95 for $1999.99 and free shipping and the LN-R329D for $2199.99 and free shipping.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I couldn't make a direct comparison between these two sets at my local Best Buy, because they don't have the Samsung on display, but the Toshiba does put out a very colorful, smooth and fairly detailed picture. Black levels, when directly compared to the 37" Panny plasma next to it, paled, but the set definitely looks like it'll be smoother and brighter if you're a heavy gamer.

Also, with all this talk about Sharp LCDs, I thought the Toshiba blew the 32" Sharp - positioned right next to it - out of the water.

Sure, it doesn't offer the extensive video adjustment features that the Sharp does (maybe it's an out-of-the-box thing), but I'm just not impressed by the Sharps that I've seen. The Sammys and now, the Toshibas look quite a bit better.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan /forum/post/0

Another unique feature is the cable HD tuner. Does it mean that I can now watch cable TV shows digitally without hooking up a cable HD antenna?

It means you'll be able to connect the cable directly to the TV without having to use a cable box provided by the cable company. You'll need a CableCard from the cable company to receive scrambled digital channels. The CableCard is one way only so you won't be able to get PPV, on-screen guide, and other interactive services the cableco provides.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
S-IPS is becoming pretty common as a panel type. In fact, a lot of the budget LCD panels have it now because the major Korean and Chinese factories like Chi Mei Opto produce S-IPS panels. I believe the Samsung panels are PVA/MVA though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking further into the new Toshiba 32HL95, it nows appears that it may NOT have picture-in-picture feature. Toshiba can't tell me! The CS Rep is reading the same spec sheet I have and PIP isn't listed as a feature. However, I have seen sites and heard talk that it does have PIP as did the old 32HL84. Does anyone know for sure? No local stores near me have it on display as yet. Seems like PIP is being offered less and less.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info concerning PIP on the 32HL95.

Those spec sheets and website specs are often incorrect I have found. The Sony website says that their new 32" has PIP...and it doesn't! Just came from Best Buy and their information spec card below the display says that the 32HL95 does have PIP. I am going to assume it does not at this point. Looks like I'll be leaning towards the new Samsung LN-R329D which does have PIP...unless their website is wrong too!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Definitely gonna keep my eye on the 37HLX95.

Only thing that sucks is, this set probably won't be on display anywhere around here. Maybe Boscovs. Who knows. We shall have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I checked out the 32HL95 at Best Buy yesterday. First, the Toshiba does not appear to use the VESA mounting bracket standard for spacing of the mounting holes. I thought I overheard this from a BB guy and checked it on Crutchfield this morning. The Crutchfield detailed review says the 32HL95 has 23-3/4" horizontal spacing and 12-7/8" vertical spacing for the mounting holes. This would appear to limit the choices you'd have for getting wall mounts. Maybe you'd have to get an adapter to connect to a VESA-compliant mount? Feel free to chime in if you know more about this than I do.

Initially I thought the image on the 32HL95 looked very good. On Best Buy's demo the colors looked good and the image really seemed to pop on some scenes such as the dragster clip. But in a few other scenes I started noticing something that bothered me and would keep me from getting the set. Occasionally an area of the screen would start having some mosquito noise and kind of have a pulsing effect. This happened in the upper right quadrant of the screen in an area of blue sky in the skydiving segment of the BB demo loop. I also noticed it in the lower left quadrant of the desert segment where someone comes walking through some brush to the camera. In both cases it looked like the video processing was having troubles figuring out what colors it wanted to use. I've seen similar things where different DVD players would handle a noisy blue sky image differently. The other LCDs in the store didn't seem to have as much problem (or none at all) with the same scenes. Certainly this could be a case where the store setup is causing something, but the rest of the time the Toshiba looked so good it didn't seem to be the case to me. I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed something similar on the Toshiba 32HL95?

[Edit: I have seen the 32HL95 at a different BB and did not see any of the problems mentioned in my comments above. The problems I saw appear to be due to the particular store I first viewed it at. I would now say the 32HL95 looks as good or better than any of the 32" LCDs at Best Buy.]

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Walter i too am very interested in the toshiba since they seem to have better response times than sharp and better features.

I'd also imagine that for an 8' viewing distance 37" would probably be best.

I'm not too sure my self, right now i'm in your position as well either 32" or a 37"?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was able to view the 32HL95 at a different Best Buy today and found it to have as good or better picture quality than any of the other 32" sets at BB (Sony, Sharp, Samsung, JVC, and Westinghouse), at least with the HD demo loop they were playing. I have edited my comments earlier in the thread about an issue I had seen at another BB. This set is now back in the running for me. I just have to make sure the non-VESA mounting holes will not present a problem in trying to find a mount for my situation.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Does anyone know if you have to split the cable input to the 32HL95 to the built-in analog cable tuner and digital cable tuner like you have to do on the Sharps?

Buydig has a great price on the 32HL95.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Quote:

Went to Best Buy again and look at the Toshiba 32HL95. To my eyes, the Toshiba 32HL95 has the best picture quality than any of the other LCD TVs at Best Buy right now. It's even better than Sharp and Sony. And there are a lot of Toshiba-made parts inside the TV, after looking through the ventilation holes.

Absolutely agreed. In fact, I don't even think it's any question that the Toshiba beats the pants off those other sets. Seriously, I'm not a Toshiba shill, and LCDs in general don't excite me, but the Toshiba 32" is absolutely beautiful.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Quote:

Crutchfield will have the HLX95.

I forgot to mention that according to the Toshiba website, the 32HLX95 and the 37HLX95 come with a built-in upconverting DVD player located somewhere at the side of the TV.

Do you have a link for this information? 'Cause I thought it came with a progressive player not upconversion. I don't see that listed on the specs for this TV anywhere.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
So i take it it's an up-conversion player built in.

Since i already have a nice dvd player, i'm only interested in the display only models such as the 32hl95 & 37hl95.

Walter since you have seen the 32" in person before me, did you get a chance to check out the 37" version?

and if so how was the PQ compared to the smaller version?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Quote:

Well, it says clearly in the Toshiba's press release that the 32HLX95 and 37HLX95 will play DVDs in 720p resolution.

Can you please show me where it says that in the press release, 'cause I don't see it. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 459 Posts