AVS Forum banner

Do you feel a trade in program is reasonable course of action for Harmony to offer?

• Yes, I have problems with my 1000 and feel a trade in program is reasonable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have problems but a trade in program is to much to offer

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets face it. The Harmony 1000 (especially when used with the RF extender) is as big of a disappointment as Harmony's response to provide fixes. Unless I am mistaken the 1100 looks like a "fixed" 1000, and sure not offering enough new features and value to be released as a whole new product.

I am sort of insulted that in order to get fixes for a remote I have owned since its release it may be that my only option is to buy a new remote. I would like to start a thread and poll which combines the people who own 1000s, have problems like myself and feel a trade in program would be a reasonable offering from Harmony.

In the past I have always bought Logitec's products, but have stopped entirely since the way they have treated me through lack of support and solutions for a clearly bug riddled product like the 1000.

Perhaps if we get enough people together here we can bring attention to Harmony and they will do the right thing: Since they are not/have not released firmware updates to address the issues it would be fair for them to offer some type of a trade in program.

My faith in Logitec and Harmony would be restored if they took this course of action.

·
Banned
1,439 Posts
I agree, while I love my 1000 it has a bunch of bugs. I've gotten to the point where I won't update it because the process either doesn't work or takes forever due to loss of connection with the computer.

I agree that the 1100 looks like a pretty crummy way to correct the 1000 bugs since it's not that much different.

I also agree that a trade in program would be welcomed and restore some of my faith in their copany.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15486185

I seriously doubt they offer a trade in for a $500 remote. Though many would benefit I just don't see what they have to gain.

Gain a future customer and the integrity of their brand with the AV enthusiast community. They can't deny the issues this remote has caused a loyal customer base. You are right..its $500, and thats $500 i spent so giving me a $500 remote that works is not unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I fear updating my 1000 more than I fear my wife! :p

I also love it but some sort of trade up would be nice....

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
keep the responses going. If we can get enough I will make sure Logitech sees this thread, and I will post their official response they give me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Dumb question from non-owner

IF the Harmony 1100 is a "fixed" 1000, has anyone tried flashing a 1000 with 1100 firmware?

For the life of me, I can't see any difference, except color.

Just a thought ...

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arklab /forum/post/15496766

Dumb question from non-owner

IF the Harmony 1100 is a "fixed" 1000, has anyone tried flashing a 1000 with 1100 firmware?

For the life of me, I can't see any difference, except color.

Just a thought ...

While that would be a great option and nice gesture to the owners of the 1000 who have been screwed. I will be my heart and soul Harmony will not offer that. My heart and soul.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can people who vote yes or no please post a response as to why?

I specifically want to hear from the people who voted no.

·
Registered
786 Posts
1. runaway buttons - most importantly....volume.

Live in an apartment, and watching stuff at 12 - 2 am and having volume run up with neighbors and people sleeping is not so good for community perception. If i get fined or warned or booted for excessive noise, Logitech is gonna be paying my moving fees.

2. 1988 Luxman M-117 200x2 $1,000 vintage amp, runaway volume could blow it, the amp also has sentimental value.

3. Klipsch RF-7s. If runaway volume blows these, there will be hell to pay.

4. I finally implemented my denon 4308's volume limiter as a safe-guard, but it still gets very loud when it happens.

5. sometimes, i shake the screen like jail bound nannies shake infants, and i still can't get the OSD to come on. the motion sensor is just whacked out.

6. why when I hit rewind or play in the left or middle of the screen, does the favorites or stop or TIVO on the far right corner of the screen get selected? i have fat fingers....not that fat.

7. where's the clock from all the pictures?

8. why is there a high pitched squeel when i charge it and it goes to the slideshow?

9. why when i delete random commands from sub menus to clean it up is my submenu still 9 pages long full of random commands?

10. why does this thing freeze all the time forcing me to do battery pulls like a crappy cell phone? $500? really?

trade in program, or straight up exchange, this is absurd.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwock5 /forum/post/15562493

Live in an apartment, and watching stuff at 12 - 2 am and having volume run up with neighbors and people sleeping is not so good for community perception. If i get fined or warned or booted for excessive noise, Logitech is gonna be paying my moving fees.

2. 1988 Luxman M-117 200x2 $1,000 vintage amp, runaway volume could blow it, the amp also has sentimental value.

4. I finally implemented my denon 4308's volume limiter as a safe-guard, but it still gets very loud when it happens.

5. sometimes, i shake the screen like jail bound nannies shake infants, and i still can't get the OSD to come on. the motion sensor is just whacked out.

6. why when I hit rewind or play in the left or middle of the screen, does the favorites or stop or TIVO on the far right corner of the screen get selected? i have fat fingers....not that fat.

8. why is there a high pitched squeel when i charge it and it goes to the slideshow?

9. why when i delete random commands from sub menus to clean it up is my submenu still 9 pages long full of random commands?

10. why does this thing freeze all the time forcing me to do battery pulls like a crappy cell phone? $500? really?

LOL

sorry I dont mean to laugh because I know your frustration as I have experience all of your problems. I also live in a building with shared walls and the run away volume issue has got a few knocks on my door. Its so annoying especially when I call Harmony support and their response is "oh thats a new one...havent heard that issue before"

Honestly though...we need more then 10 people responding to get anywhere. I also call on the people who voted no to comment.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i agree, we need more people, but after browsing thorugh the official harmony 1000 thread, with all the negative feedback, most people probably streared away from buying the 1000 in the first place and it's just down to us suckers.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwock5 /forum/post/15562493

To answer points 1-4, contact Harmony 2nd level support, they were sending out Harmony 890 remotes as replacements for the 1000 for no charge (and letting you keep the 1000 too), due to this repeating volume up problem. At this point, they may send you a Harmony 1100. Make sure to give them an earful, they know about this problem. Call them ASAP.

5 - could be a bad motion sensor

6 - your remote could need the screen re-calibrated. Take out the battery, hold the OFF button while putting the battery in. The remote should safe "Safe Mode" on the LCD. Take the battery out, let go any buttons and put the battery back in. Then you should get the screen calibration utility with a little target moving around the screen. If this doesn't resolve the problem, call Harmony, your screen has a problem.

7 - they could never get it programmed properly, maybe just not enough resources to work on it so they cut corners (that's not the only thing they cut for the 1000). That's what the 1100 is for.

8 - make sure the screen brightness is set to 100%, squealing should go away

9 - programming bugs

10 - the remote was released to the market before it was fully completed and tested. they've been playing catch up ever since; every time they release an update to fix one thing, something else breaks. However, the remote should be relatively stable. If it's freezing all the time then you should have contacted Harmony support a long time ago to exchange your remote.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/15562718

LOL

sorry I dont mean to laugh because I know your frustration as I have experience all of your problems. I also live in a building with shared walls and the run away volume issue has got a few knocks on my door. Its so annoying especially when I call Harmony support and their response is "oh thats a new one...havent heard that issue before"

Honestly though...we need more then 10 people responding to get anywhere. I also call on the people who voted no to comment.

read the reply I wrote to schwock5 regarding the volume up problem, Harmony has known about this issue for at least a year. They were replacing the 1000's with 890's for no charge, and should now be sending out 1100's instead

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called harmony and I am in the process of getting another remote, but they havent offered one yet. You have to go through a process and I am sure if you push them and raised your concerns then ask to speak to the warranty department you can geta new one...maybe even an 100 which is what I am after. They dont just hand it out and I was the first to ask for a 1100. You need to go through the warranty department and they will decide on a case by case. Currently they are going through their own ways of trying to "fix" the volume run off, but i already know they cant.

Its funny, but I was reminded by harmony support of what they have given me. I have been given one 890 (to compensate for no zwave), and I am currently on my 3rd 1000. The guy on the phone actually made it seem like I should be happy with that. We both laughed when I asked..."would you rather have 1 remote that works or 3 that dont?"

·
Registered
154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/15577885

I called harmony and I am in the process of getting another remote, but they havent offered one yet. You have to go through a process and I am sure if you push them and raised your concerns then ask to speak to the warranty department you can geta new one...maybe even an 100 which is what I am after. They dont just hand it out and I was the first to ask for a 1100. You need to go through the warranty department and they will decide on a case by case. Currently they are going through their own ways of trying to "fix" the volume run off, but i already know they cant.

Its funny, but I was reminded by harmony support of what they have given me. I have been given one 890 (to compensate for no zwave), and I am currently on my 3rd 1000. The guy on the phone actually made it seem like I should be happy with that. We both laughed when I asked..."would you rather have 1 remote that works or 3 that dont?"

Yeah I'm sure they have to go through all that BS. I'm sure you'll get your remote if you stick at it. They've been "working" on resolving the "stuck Volume Up" button for the last year and the solution last I heard (seriously, I'm not kidding) was the 1100. However if they already sent you an 890, why aren't you using it? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpat /forum/post/15578734

Yeah I'm sure they have to go through all that BS. I'm sure you'll get your remote if you stick at it. They've been "working" on resolving the "stuck Volume Up" button for the last year and the solution last I heard (seriously, I'm not kidding) was the 1100. However if they already sent you an 890, why aren't you using it? Just curious.

I sold the 890...I decided to live without Z wave. I never wanted a remote that looked like the 890. To me it was not a replacement, but a was to recoup some money as Zwave ( a feature i paid for) wasnt coming. At the time I thought firmware updates were coming to fx the volume and freezing issues. etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts