AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun counting drivers not Speakers.

I have 28 drivers in the bedroom system total including the subs. Driven by 1750Watts of power

And 14 in the Family room. Driven by 650Watts of power.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I count to 32 (of which no less than 24 are used for the surround channels
).

H

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Hmm, well... my bedroom system is stereo, so only four (big) drivers and 250W.

The main floor 5.1 system has 24 drivers and 4475W (probably optimistic on the part of the amp manufacturer as the following system is much more robust).

The lower level 7.1 HT has 38 drivers and 3600W (very conservative amp specs).

However, all my systems sound like crap, so driver and amp stats still don't trump good sound.

(Okay, I'm partially kidding there... my systems sound pretty good.)

·
Registered
417 Posts
...but then again, a while ago I visited a guy who has 62 in his 2-channel system (Transmission Audio Megatrend mkII).

H

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
In my basement livingroom I have a 7.1 system with two subs. It has 23 drivers and 1,230 Watts.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
32 in the current builds, but I probably have 80+ raw drivers in the household, not including another 40 or so in manufactured speakers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
5, including sub, 300W LOL

2-way B&W's, and an old Velodyne. nothing more than i want, nothing less than i need (that's become my guideline, at least until i have a higher hobby budget)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Man, all i have is a measly 15 drivers in my HT setup
I feel inferior now

·
Registered
60 Posts
An even 20. kahchow!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Remember the 'old' Infinity IRS 5...?

The PER CHANNEL driver count was:
  • Woofers: Six 12” cones
  • Midrange: 12 Polypropylene/Graphite Electro-Magnetic Induction Midrange (EMIM) drivers
  • Tweeters: 36 Polypropylene/Graphite Electro-Magnetic Induction Tweeter (EMIT) drivers (24 front facing + 12 rear facing)

·
Registered
4,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex /forum/post/18316563

• Woofers: Six 12 cones
  • Midrange: 12 Polypropylene/Graphite Electro-Magnetic Induction Midrange (EMIM) drivers
  • Tweeters: 36 Polypropylene/Graphite Electro-Magnetic Induction Tweeter (EMIT) drivers (24 front facing + 12 rear facing)

Wow! As if that room isn't bright enough with those bare walls, ceiling, and floor, let's add several dozen plastic emitters and see what it sounds like.

The EMIM/EMIT speakers are phenomenal, but not in that room. Still, that's a lot of drivers, so kudos for the reference and picture. (I've seen it before.)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

• Woofers: Six 12 cones

WOW I would love a set of those the woman would throw me out

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/18318115

I remember the IRS 5. Glad I grew up and worried about quality over quantity a long time ago.

They did not sound good?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I would not say bad. They were an honest effort at high performance. I sure would not say great or even fair for the price. It was a very long time ago, so I don't recall the rest of the system. Consider that all speakers are so bad with respect to electronics, they are still largely subjective. I am sure others considered them the best ever and my favorites trash. I would take a pair of 2Ce's over them. ( and still hear complaints about ugly
)

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan /forum/post/18315866

Man, all i have is a measly 15 drivers in my HT setup
I feel inferior now

Cheer up, I only have 9 in my 3.1 system (for now). Probably will be a mere 13 when i get back to 5.1. So you have me beat, at least.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek /forum/post/18323252

I would not say bad. They were an honest effort at high performance. I sure would not say great or even fair for the price. It was a very long time ago, so I don't recall the rest of the system. Consider that all speakers are so bad with respect to electronics, they are still largely subjective. I am sure others considered them the best ever and my favorites trash. I would take a pair of 2Ce's over them. ( and still hear complaints about ugly
)

I would think those 12 12"s would put out some serious bass with the right components.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic1 /forum/post/18325393

I would think those 12 12"s would put out some serious bass with the right components.

Not really. IIRC the Xmax was only a few mm, very small compared to modern drivers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why would the number of drivers matter? Someone could have 30 old cube speakers (30 tiny drivers) that don't sound as good as 12 new quality drivers that consist of 6 larger and 6 tweeter drivers. Am I mistaken in my thinking? It's like bragging about how many cylinders in the car while getting passed by a newer, more powerful car with fewer cylinders.

I have 16 in one room driven by 770 watts and 7 in another room driven by 500 watts & they all sound great

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-deaf /forum/post/18325856

Why would the number of drivers matter? Someone could have 30 old cube speakers (30 tiny drivers) that don't sound as good as 12 new quality drivers that consist of 6 larger and 6 tweeter drivers. Am I mistaken in my thinking? It's like bragging about how many cylinders in the car while getting passed by a newer, more powerful car with fewer cylinders.

I have 16 in one room driven by 770 watts and 7 in another room driven by 500 watts & they all sound great

Its a thread for fun no contest here.

I had just finished off the bedroom system for now I hope and I turned it up to 0db on the AMP. Anyway I have been around this stuff all my life one way or another but when I turned up the bedroom system it was loud kind crystal clear to my ears but very Loud. Maybe I am getting older but anyways I started counting drivers and there was alot of them made sense.

My bedroom is a decent size 30'x20' so I was kind of in awe that everything turned out so loud and clear.

In a nutshell when I counted 28 drivers it made some sense to me beacuse even though I have lots of drivers they do not seem to take up much space.

Hope this makes sense as I am still drinking my first cup of coffee

1 - 20 of 29 Posts