AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, thought I would drop my two cents here after my experience with 65" LG CX OLED. I also reviewed Sony and Samsung models in-person at Best Buy. I currently own PX75-H1 and loving it.

Let's start by saying OLED picture quality cannot be beat by QLED TVs. Everyone was right about the low brightness so much, that it was the #1 reason for me returning the CX OLED. #2 reason was worrying about burn-in while trying to gaming with my 2080Ti PC. The best thing about CX was it was smooth as butter playing Zero Horizon Dawn on my PC @ 1440p120Hz + VRR + HDR10. The bright highlights of HDR on OLED cannot be compared with at all unless you get a Sony Z8H. Every tiny speck of light is lit and noticed in scary movie scenes. Yes, scary movies are more scary with OLED guys.

Now, my Vizio PX75-H1 has come very close to and exceeded some areas of picture quality / brightness compared with OLED. Real scene brightness of HDR movies and that color "pop" effect of this TV is unreal. My jaw dropped from Spears Munsil HDR Benchmark BluRay on this Vizio. I am on the latest firmware 5.10.13.1-2. Of course I could talk about the picture settings / modes all day but I will just summarize my findings here.

• The color banding/saturation accuracies issues are a lot better than 2019 PQX that I owned.
  • Motion interpolation/judder removal is more powerful with less artifacts from 2019 model.
  • TV grey uniformatiy is 10x better also from last year.
  • Dolby Vision just works perfect from built-in app and XBOX 1X
  • eARC works with DTS passthrough (unlike LG, which it did not)
  • 1080p120Hz + VRR + HDR works with Zero Horizon Dawn but 1440p120Hz is not supported / working
  • SDR Sports upscaling is clean with no blooming or artifacts.
Lastly, I will save you all the trouble of buying and testing Sony X950H and Samsung 90T models. If you directly compare a TV with many dimming zones like this PQX side-by-side (which I did at Best Buy), you will notice that in many scenes, the colors are washed out and cloudy. I saw this on all Sony and Samsung flagship models, albeit Samsung exhibited this the least. I don't want to talk about LG IPS panels because that is already a given regarding its grey blacks and washed out image. Also, Samsung had the worst motion/judder control when watching the Jurassic Park trailer. I concur Sony has the best motion processing algorithms but they have constantly been pushing less and less dimming zones for the past few years. We get that Sony algorithem / processor is the best but it can't pull miracles out of thin air. The mass public is stuck with choosing the lesser poison between Sony and Samsung.

In 2020, I would only recommend the Vizio PQX H1, LG CX and Sony Z8H for true home theater enthusiasts. Also, any size above 75" requires 8k resolution for the best pixel density/clarity. Do consider the wide-viewing angles required for 85" TV viewing experience.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, thought I would drop my two cents here after my experience with 65" LG CX OLED. I also reviewed Sony and Samsung models in-person at Best Buy. I currently own PX75-H1 and loving it.

Let's start by saying OLED picture quality cannot be beat by QLED TVs. Everyone was right about the low brightness so much, that it was the #1 reason for me returning the CX OLED. #2 reason was worrying about burn-in while trying to gaming with my 2080Ti PC. The best thing about CX was it was smooth as butter playing Zero Horizon Dawn on my PC @ 1440p120Hz + VRR + HDR10. The bright highlights of HDR on OLED cannot be compared with at all unless you get a Sony Z8H. Every tiny speck of light is lit and noticed in scary movie scenes. Yes, scary movies are more scary with OLED guys.

Now, my Vizio PX75-H1 has come very close to and exceeded some areas of picture quality / brightness compared with OLED. Real scene brightness of HDR movies and that color "pop" effect of this TV is unreal. My jaw dropped from Spears Munsil HDR Benchmark BluRay on this Vizio. I am on the latest firmware 5.10.13.1-2. Of course I could talk about the picture settings / modes all day but I will just summarize my findings here.

• The color banding/saturation accuracies issues are a lot better than 2019 PQX that I owned.
  • Motion interpolation/judder removal is more powerful with less artifacts from 2019 model.
  • TV grey uniformatiy is 10x better also from last year.
  • Dolby Vision just works perfect from built-in app and XBOX 1X
  • eARC works with DTS passthrough (unlike LG, which it did not)
  • 1080p120Hz + VRR + HDR works with Zero Horizon Dawn but 1440p120Hz is not supported / working
  • SDR Sports upscaling is clean with no blooming or artifacts.
Lastly, I will save you all the trouble of buying and testing Sony X950H and Samsung 90T models. If you directly compare a TV with many dimming zones like this PQX side-by-side (which I did at Best Buy), you will notice that in many scenes, the colors are washed out and cloudy. I saw this on all Sony and Samsung flagship models, albeit Samsung exhibited this the least. I don't want to talk about LG IPS panels because that is already a given regarding its grey blacks and washed out image. Also, Samsung had the worst motion/judder control when watching the Jurassic Park trailer. I concur Sony has the best motion processing algorithms but they have constantly been pushing less and less dimming zones for the past few years. We get that Sony algorithem / processor is the best but it can't pull miracles out of thin air. The mass public is stuck with choosing the lesser poison between Sony and Samsung.

In 2020, I would only recommend the Vizio PQX H1, LG CX and Sony Z8H for true home theater enthusiasts. Also, any size above 75" requires 8k resolution for the best pixel density/clarity. Do consider the wide-viewing angles required for 85" TV viewing experience.

Hope this helps!
Thank you SO much for your write up. I'm currently trying to choose between these two TVs. I will be gaming a lot so burn in worries me so I'm glad to hear that the PQX can at least hold its own against the CX even if it can't beat it. So you have VRR working through your PC? Have you tried it at 4k 120hz? Game mode doesn't kill the picture quality too much? Sorry for all the questions it's just really hard to find people with much experience with this TV.

Edit: Oh and what gpu do you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you SO much for your write up. I'm currently trying to choose between these two TVs. I will be gaming a lot so burn in worries me so I'm glad to hear that the PQX can at least hold its own against the CX even if it can't beat it. So you have VRR working through your PC? Have you tried it at 4k 120hz? Game mode doesn't kill the picture quality too much? Sorry for all the questions it's just really hard to find people with much experience with this TV.

Edit: Oh and what gpu do you have?
Glad to help. First, 4k 120hz will require HDMI 2.1 due to bandwidth limitations of HDMI 2.0. I could only get 1080p120 working with my NVIDIA 2080ti PC. Someone previously here posted their calibration test results and stated the input lag is within 1ms outside game mode so calibrated mode would work best for color accuracy for games. They are still fixing other bugs so I am waiting for 1440p120. I also owned Sony x900h and returned that due to super grey and washed out blacks in dark scenes.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
What are you guys setting the active array setting to? I’ve been bouncing between medium and high.
I would recommend using LD on high, as while medium seems brighter it almost acts like a contrast booster and overly brightens the image and washing out colors a bit. However play with it and see what you like.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Hope this helps!
The 85" is the one I was considering upgrading to from 2019 PX75. What is the wide viewing angles required?

There's hardly any content in 8k. Are you saying we shouldn't go bigger than 75?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 85" is the one I was considering upgrading to from 2019 PX75. What is the wide viewing angles required?

There's hardly any content in 8k. Are you saying we shouldn't go bigger than 75?
Yes, I meant to say at 85" you will need wide angle view screen coating which the Sony and Samsung are offering. And also keep the pixel density in mind for this 85". The picture was blurry for me at only 82 inch with a Samsung 4K TV.

Update: After really gaming with Vizio PQX over the weekends, its backlight uniformity issues are showing up. I am going back to the closest to perfect TV I ever owned, the 77" LG CX OLED. LG has added so many burn-in prevention technologies and then the generous one-time panel replacement.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, I meant to say at 85" you will need wide angle view screen coating which the Sony and Samsung are offering. And also keep the pixel density in mind for this 85". The picture was blurry for me at only 82 inch with a Samsung 4K TV.
Interesting. I've never heard anyone make this complaint before.

I sit right in the center of the TV so I'm not too concerned about wide angle viewing

·
Registered
187 Posts

Update: After really gaming with Vizio PQX over the weekends, its backlight uniformity issues are showing up. I am going back to the closest to perfect TV I ever owned, the 77" LG CX OLED. LG has added so many burn-in prevention technologies and then the generous one-time panel replacement.
Or you can grab 85 inch 900h. I almost bit the bullet and purchased the 77 inch CX but I watch too many sports channels along with games with huds. Best Buys price last week plus tax and 5 year extended warranty meant I could buy 2 75 inch 900hs for the price of one 77 inch CX. I said to myself grab the this 900h now and then see what 2021 has to offer from everyone...specially as they work out the various HDMI 2.1 kinks. I seriously feel like these 2020 models are stop gaps due to so many things happening this year

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Or you can grab 85 inch 900h. I almost bit the bullet and purchased the 77 inch CX but I watch too many sports channels along with games with huds. Best Buys price last week plus tax and 5 year extended warranty meant I could buy 2 75 inch 900hs for the price of one 77 inch CX. I said to myself grab the this 900h now and then see what 2021 has to offer from everyone...specially as they work out the various HDMI 2.1 kinks. I seriously feel like these 2020 models are stop gaps due to so many things happening this year
Is this not a Vizio owners thread, not a Sony, LG, or Samsung thread?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is this not a Vizio owners thread, not a Sony, LG, or Samsung thread?

Get out your feelings dude. There’s nothing wrong with discussing alternatives especially when none of these are perfect. Real world usage info is important but folks gotta choose what’s best for them. Obviously you didn’t like my comment but man I could care less...and I won’t reply to you afterwards either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Get out your feelings dude. There’s nothing wrong with discussing alternatives especially when none of these are perfect. Real world usage info is important but folks gotta choose what’s best for them. Obviously you didn’t like my comment but man I could care less...and I won’t reply to you afterwards either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in my feelings, but you are pretty worked up off a question. I think, if you are participating in any display thread on AVSForum you're more than likely aware of other brands.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why does some content seem to have really bad halo effects from the backlight while others dont? I started to notice some youtube videos and twitch streams look really bad at times.

an interesting one is this. Some of the flowers look great, but then there are a couple images that look like garbage. like the entire screen has this weird green tint with a very obvious halo around the flower, particularly the one at 1:41

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Why does some content seem to have really bad halo effects from the backlight while others dont? I started to notice some youtube videos and twitch streams look really bad at times.

an interesting one is this. Some of the flowers look great, but then there are a couple images that look like garbage. like the entire screen has this weird green tint with a very obvious halo around the flower, particularly the one at 1:41

Is this a HDR test?

181 - 200 of 326 Posts