AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Paradigmshift0 I have an Onkyo TX-NR636 and am scheduled to have the new tv delivered on Saturday. On the last setup, the Apple TV4k, Amazon Firestick 4K, and the 4k Blu-ray player all worked flawlessly through the Onkio. The only connections on the TV were the ethernet and HDMI 1/Arc connection to the Onkio. I'll get it all setup this weekend and test it out.
Please keep me posted! I can only get Apple TV 4K 30hz though the receiver. I can’t get anything else to work. Arc doesn’t work for TV apps, can’t get a picture with my 4K Blu-ray player. Only static. Frustrating! Hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2016 p series as well. Apart from these issues, do you feel this 2020 is better picture quality then your 2016? I'm hoping this kinda stuff gets worked out with firmware updates. Curious if you feel the picture quality is significantly better than the 2016 or just marginally?
I was totally happy with my P65- picture is still fantastic- just upgraded for a bigger screen and the gaming nonsense. I think it’s too early to tell if it’s significantly better. It’s certainly much brighter!- so there’s definitely a difference. I’m sure in 6 months it will be a fantastic tv after they work out the software.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fellas I'm looking at the Rtings early review of the Quantam X. Looks like they have discovered the Flicker and motions issues associated with this TV and rated it accordingly. Gray uniformity, black uniformity, reflections and color accuracy is phenomenal like most have already reported here. But a good regular Quantam panel that has good uniformity is the better buy as everything is pretty similar across the board.

This is quite interesting. It's almost like the only difference between the between the 2 sets is that the Quantam X gets brighter and has better uniformity...which equates to better overall black levels...that's the conclusion. Sort of like a intel 10900k vs a 10850k comparison for you guys that build PCs.

So.....I posted Peak brightness, Input Lag, and contrast ratio measurements from my 65 PQX, earlier in this thread. Rtings findings are very similar to mine, I think the discrepancies look close enough that I would assume they are within panel variance and their use of more accurate equipment.

They tested with the same broken firmware as I, which is 5.10.8.1-1

Native Contrast
Rtings - 5078 : 1

Mine - 4347: 1 ( 0.023 Black level )

Pretty big difference here probably due to equipment. ( I used a
I1 Display Pro Plus )

Xrite Display Pro Plus
Contrast with local dimming
Rtings - 5547 : 1

Mine - 5263 : 1 ( 0.019 )

As you can see here, only + 500-700 to the contrast ratio from a TV with 384 dimming zones???? I find that very unlikely to be working as intended.... That's a whopping 10,000 less than the 2019 model, also people were complaining this new firmware demolished black levels and these measurements would support that. it seems Local dimming is broken

It would be nice if someone could test the contrast ratio with out of the box firmware. unfortunately, I updated my TV before I had my display pro plus :(

I will be retesting this once Vizio drops a firmware update.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 2016 p series as well. Apart from these issues, do you feel this 2020 is better picture quality then your 2016? I'm hoping this kinda stuff gets worked out with firmware updates. Curious if you feel the picture quality is significantly better than the 2016 or just marginally?
I had a 2016 P75 that I loved, but it developed an issue in the panel a couple months ago.
I was anticipating the new model, so wasn’t too upset.
I was blown away with the color as compared to my 2016.
Uniformity was great, and the black levels really good.
I was very happy with the upgrade.
Then there was a firmware update, and you know the rest...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a 2016 P75 that I loved, but it developed an issue in the panel a couple months ago.
I was anticipating the new model, so wasn’t too upset.
I was blown away with the color as compared to my 2016.
Uniformity was great, and the black levels really good.
I was very happy with the upgrade.
Then there was a firmware update, and you know the rest...
At least the biggest issues do seem to be firmware related. They are likely to fix it eventually, but who knows how long it will take and what else they will break in the process. And if theyd just communicate even a little it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please keep me posted! I can only get Apple TV 4K 30hz though the receiver. I can’t get anything else to work. Arc doesn’t work for TV apps, can’t get a picture with my 4K Blu-ray player. Only static. Frustrating! Hope you have better luck!
@Paradigmshift0. TV was delivered Saturday afternoon and I got it hooked up. I set the TV up with just the HDMI 1/ARC connection to the Onkio TX-NR636. Both Audio & Video worked on the 4K Apple TV connected to the Onkio with the Apple TV set to 4K SDR @ 60Hz. I tried the 4K HDR @ 60Hz setting on the 4K Apple TV and the Apple TV said it couldn't use that setting and defaulted back to 4K SDR @ 60Hz. When I get some free time, I'll connect the Apple TV directly to the Vizio and retest the 4K HDR @ 60Hz setting. I'll also check the Onkio to see if there is a setting or a new update that might also be the cause.

My 4K Firestick connected to the Onkio would display video, but I didn't have any audio. Connected directly to the Vizio on the HDMI 2 port, the 4K firestick audio & video work correctly passing the audio signal through the ARC to the Onkio and out to all the speakers. Again, when I get some time, I'll reconnect the 4K Firestick back to the Onkio and try a few settings.

I have not tried the 4K Blu-ray player yet. It is still connected to the Onkio and I'll see if it works through the ARC connection.

EDIT: The TV has not been connected to the network or updated, so I have not tried the built in apps and the ARC connection to the Onkio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Paradigmshift0. TV was delivered Saturday afternoon and I got it hooked up. I set the TV up with just the HDMI 1/ARC connection to the Onkio TX-NR636. Both Audio & Video worked on the 4K Apple TV connected to the Onkio with the Apple TV set to 4K SDR @ 60Hz. I tried the 4K HDR @ 60Hz setting on the 4K Apple TV and the Apple TV said it couldn't use that setting and defaulted back to 4K SDR @ 60Hz. When I get some free time, I'll connect the Apple TV directly to the Vizio and retest the 4K HDR @ 60Hz setting. I'll also check the Onkio to see if there is a setting or a new update that might also be the cause.

My 4K Firestick connected to the Onkio would display video, but I didn't have any audio. Connected directly to the Vizio on the HDMI 2 port, the 4K firestick audio & video work correctly passing the audio signal through the ARC to the Onkio and out to all the speakers. Again, when I get some time, I'll reconnect the 4K Firestick back to the Onkio and try a few settings.

I have not tried the 4K Blu-ray player yet. It is still connected to the Onkio and I'll see if it works through the ARC connection.

EDIT: The TV has not been connected to the network or updated, so I have not tried the built in apps and the ARC connection to the Onkio.
[/QUOTE

Seems like I’m not the only one. I can also get 4K sdr 60 on my Apple TV, but settled for DV 4K 30 for now. When you go to “input settings” change HDMI mode between 1.4, auto, and 2.1. I just get snow on everything except 1.4. I called Vizio support and went through the usual- turn off 30 seconds, reset tv, etc- which didn’t do a thing. They said it was a “compatibility issue” Lol No ****!!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thinking of going for a 21 pqx 75”. I currently have a 65” 17 p series which has been great & a 49” sony x900e which i barely use anymore mostly my kids. Does anyone have the measurements for the tv on its legs in length, width & bottom of tv height? I don’t think i can hang this tv like my current p65-e1. Tia

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all. New owner of the px75. Love the TV so far except for the flashing backlight/brightness in dark scenes firmware bug.
However, my one issue is the grey uniformity. White is pretty good, colors are perfectly uniform. Grey is just pretty bad tho. If I run one of the lcd grey uniformity test vids I see a lot grey variance - about 6 verticals bands of grey columns. Especially at 1% to 10% grey in the test. Any of you run a grey uniformity test? Have similar results?
Appreciate feedback as I may try and swap it before return period ends.

View attachment 3039626
Any other owners care to provide a pic of the dark grey screen (5%) for comparison?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thinking of going for a 21 pqx 75”. I currently have a 65” 17 p series which has been great & a 49” sony x900e which i barely use anymore mostly my kids. Does anyone have the measurements for the tv on its legs in length, width & bottom of tv height? I don’t think i can hang this tv like my current p65-e1. Tia
I asked this same question. You should find a response with measurements earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Paradigmshift0 From some research I have done, it looks like my Onkio TX-NR636 DOES NOT support HDR passthrough. It was not built with the hardware required. https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/7gw35q
Your Onkio TX-NR686 DOES support HDR passthrough. It has 2 modes and I believe the default mode is 4K SDR. You will need to switch it to the 4K Enhanced to get the HDR to passthrough.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Onkyo/comments/bxv242
Not your specific receiver, but some more info on the subject.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/eg98t6
Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
@Paradigmshift0 From some research I have done, it looks like my Onkio TX-NR636 DOES NOT support HDR passthrough. It was not built with the hardware required. https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/7gw35q
Your Onkio TX-NR686 DOES support HDR passthrough. It has 2 modes and I believe the default mode is 4K SDR. You will need to switch it to the 4K Enhanced to get the HDR to passthrough.
Hope this helps you out.
Yes a lot of devices in general if they support any sort of hdr you have to enable the feature with a enhanced/full uhd pass through etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It makes sense to me. As the manufacturer you want it to put sound and video out the first time it’s plugged in. Let the power users who care about the features they paid for change things later. I’m reminded of the days of people connecting their HDTVs with RCA cables and watching everything in zoom/stretch modes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hope this helps you out.
Unfortunately, the 686 is set to 4K enhanced and I’ve switched it back and forth with out any change. Looks like I’ll be shopping for a new HDMI 2.1 receiver when they finally come out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Reactions: lucacow and GCM707

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not that I've seen. I was looking around yesterday for any sign that they might be on the way. Is there any official (or unofficial) date?
Nope, they confirmed via Twitter that 85s are coming but had no ETA to provide. Users speculate before Black Friday, and I hope that’s the case. My biggest fear is that like the 75 only showing up at BB and 65 at Costco that this will only be at Walmart (which has the only active product listing).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Reports of a new firmware, 5.10.13.1-2, anyone get it yet?

Apparently they update in batches by serial number, nothing on mine yet.

101 - 120 of 191 Posts