AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
It looks like Rtings mentioned their test pattern for local dimming was processed differently for whatever reason. This is from the text:
"Using a full white and full black screen to measure the contrast with local dimming enabled, we obtained a contrast ratio of 21660:1. Note that the contrast ratio can vary between individual units."

Seems like it has plenty of potential. Sounds like they just need to update the firmware. Excited to hear from you guys when that happens.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Welcome to October.
Any 85’s in the wild out there yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supposedly Walmart says the 85 will be available Oct 28th.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Real scene/Pattern peak brightness tested, Contrast ratio, and Input Lag.

I'm a noob learning how to run all this equipment and software... thought I would share my findings. :)

Using my X-rite display pro plus, Calman Home software.and HCFR.

TV = P65QX-H1 - BROKEN ! firmware - 5.10.8.1-1

Settings - Local dimming on High - Gamma 2.1 - Color Temp warm - HDR10

UHD HDR Spears and munsil

Calibrated Picture mode.
2 % window - 2077 Cd/m
10 % - 2317
25 % - 1421
50 % - 892
100% - 692

Vivid picture mode. ( with color temp changed to warm )
2 % window - 2125 Cd/m
10 % - 2412
25 % - 1467
50 % - 916
100 % - 705

" Real Scene " testing using the same scene Rtings.com uses.

Temp warm - LD high - Gamma 2.1.

Bigger rectangle - Local contrast off

985 - 1050 Cd/m

Local contrast on

1100 - 1156 Cd/m

Smaller Rectangle - 1200 - 1270 Cd/m

Gears of war 5 - Xbox one X

Brothers in Arms intro scene ( The torch ) - 1059 Cd/m

Act 1: The tide turns - Yellow reflection on the floor from the fire on the stove - 1,150 Cd/m

Fun facts:
Ever wonder how effective the HDR slider options are? yeah, me too. Using the Yellow reflection mentioned above.
HDR Brightness slider - Minimum 600 = 450 Cd/m
2000 = 1,000 Cd/m
Max 4000 = 1,150 Cd/m
Contrast slider going from 0 to max adds 100 Nits of peak brightness.

Ghost of Tsushima - PS4 Pro

Photo Mode - Time of Day 9 AM - Weather clear
Measuring The sun
Temp warm - 1,750 Cd/m
Temp cool - 2050 Cd/m ( over 2 K nits in-game !!!!!? )

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Dolby Vision Via Disney + Internal App

Light Saber at 34:20 - 830 Cd/M

Black Bars range from 0.050 - 0.099 from what I tested. ( Looks inky )

This thing is super bright... IMPRESSIVE STUFF !!

Notes :
- Peak brightness remains the same with Game low latency toggled on/off.

- Changing to " Medium " Local dimming sees about a 75-125 reduction in nits across the board.

- Peak luminance using Vivid with a cool color temp hit 2,600 Cd/m on a 10 % window

- Interestingly my Display pro-Plus is rated for 2,000 Cd/m, so I'm not sure if anything above is accurate.

Contrast Ratio using Rtings.com Modified Ansi Checkerboard pattern and Methodology.

Native contrast ratio = 4347: 1 ( 0.023 Black level )
Contrast with local dimming = 5263 : 1 ( 0.019 )

Now... let's hope this is wrong as its significantly less than expected. Keep in mind I'm on the broken firmware - 5.10.8.1-1 which was said to destroy black levels. I have no way to revert to out of the box firmware unfortunately, also Rtings uses thousands of dollars worth of equipment so I do expect some discrepancies.

Input Lag test.

My findings using a Time sleuth sending a 1080P 60hz signal ( should be the same with 4 K signal )

Picture mode = Calibrated

Default settings - BackLight 50

Game low latency Off = 64.59 Ms

Game low latency On
LD medium = 16.84 Ms - 18.50 Ms ( measuring Top and middle bar )

Picture mode = Game

Game low latency off = 63.99 Ms

Game low latency on
LD off = 12.07 Ms - 15.39 Ms

LD low = 16.96 Ms - 20.00 Ms

LD Medium and high = 16.78 Ms - 18.26 Ms

Notes:
- increasing the backlight to 100 sees a reduction of 3-5 MS across the board. not sure if that's accurate or not, with the backlight at 100, LD high, I get 11.69 - 15.11 Ms.

- Game " Picture mode has no effect on Input Lag. All picture modes with the same settings have the same input lag.

- Local dimming off has the lowest input lag, Changing Local dimming from low/medium/high are all within 1 MS of each other.

- as expected, Both HDMI port 1 and 4 show no difference.

- Clear action/BFI adds 1-2 MS of lag.

Hopefully, this will be good enough to hold us off until RTINGS test this bad boy :)

UPDATE !!

Model: P65QX-H1 - Got the new Firmware 5.10.13.1-2

Contrast Ratio using Rtings.com Modified Ansi Checkerboard pattern and Methodology.

Local dimming off (Native)
Backlight 15 - ( 97 cd/m ) = 4347: 1 ( 0.023 Black level )

Local Dimming Medium.
Backlight 11- ( 98 cd/m) = 10,000 : 1 ( 0.010 )

Local Dimming High
Backlight 14 ( 102 cd/m) = 6666: 1 ( 0.015 )

As you can see here, a massive improvement, more in line with what you would expect from a TV with 384 dimming zones. Curiously, Local Dimming " medium " provides the best contrast ratio, so it had me wondering if there is any reason to bother with High?

Using Rtings.com Real scene HDR video.
Peak Brightness On the smaller rectangle

Local Dimming Medium = 1037 cd/m
High = 1,287 cd/m

In this particular scene, it peaked 257 Cd/m higher.

Very nice update !! Blacks look a lot better.
also as of now, I have not run into any flickering like I was getting before.

More Testing incoming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had the Vivio P75Qx-H1 for 2 months. I get bad judder on pans from hulu and netflix at times. Have tried to tweak the anti judder/smooth to the soap opera effect but not satisfied. They really sholud be better at fixing this issue. Also the audio to the blu ray players keeps going off if picture settings are changed and I hit the dreaded back button. Have to go to home and then select input and sound is back. Called the comapny few weeks ago. Unplug TV power. Hold the on button x 10sec and then plug back. It fixes the issue for a few times and goes back.
Any help for setting would be appreciated.
I kee the film mode on and use no clear motion.
The black levels are still excellent. Have to give them credit for that.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm curious about these tvs vut have a few questions. How's the picture quality in one of these tvs compared to a 2018 Samsung qled like the q8fn? Is the vrr fixed on these tvs? Does it ha e earc support? How well does the earc work? Any sou d delays etc. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Could someone post a simple list of the pro and cons of this tv? Also, has anyone done a side by side comparison with the Sony 900h?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wanted to let everyone know about some product Improvements to the P75QX and P65QX, and for the P85QX, which is coming soon.

We've made a few gaming improvements, including: AMD FreeSync Premium certification (Including 1080p/120hz with FreeSync), 4K/120hz resolution improvements for next-generation game consoles and the Nvidia graphics card RTX30 series, Improved VRR playback on HDMI and VRR verification on HDMI devices.

We've also made some picture quality improvements to local dimming by reducing halo effects in dark scenes, improved timing for halo trails behind moving objects, enriched black level performance, increased SDR & HDR brightness in non-peak bright scenes and set Judder Reduction performance default from 0 to 2 in Bright Mode.

Your TV will update automatically. To see if you have the new firmware, you can go to the Menu and select Admin & Reset, then select System Information to see the firmware you’re currently on. You can manually check to see if the update is available from the Admin & Reset menu and select the “Check for Updates”.

We will provide additional updates and answers on a regular basis going forward. You can always reach out to our customer service team at 1 (855) 833-3221.

Sincerely, Mike Wood
Director, Product Management, VIZIO

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wanted to let everyone know about some product Improvements to the P75QX and P65QX, and for the P85QX, which is coming soon...
Thanks for dropping in, the feedback on the latest FW seems like it has made many people happy. Some users report that triggering VRR via Xbox One X causes the tv to change picture mode to “game” which then must be manually changed to the user’s desired picture mode such as “calibrated dark”.
Soon is welcome news to me concerning the 85”, can’t wait to welcome it home from Costco! (Hopefully from Costco)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wanted to let everyone know about some product Improvements to the P75QX and P65QX, and for the P85QX, which is coming soon.

We've made a few gaming improvements, including: AMD FreeSync Premium certification (Including 1080p/120hz with FreeSync), 4K/120hz resolution improvements for next-generation game consoles and the Nvidia graphics card RTX30 series, Improved VRR playback on HDMI and VRR verification on HDMI devices.

We've also made some picture quality improvements to local dimming by reducing halo effects in dark scenes, improved timing for halo trails behind moving objects, enriched black level performance, increased SDR & HDR brightness in non-peak bright scenes and set Judder Reduction performance default from 0 to 2 in Bright Mode.

Your TV will update automatically. To see if you have the new firmware, you can go to the Menu and select Admin & Reset, then select System Information to see the firmware you’re currently on. You can manually check to see if the update is available from the Admin & Reset menu and select the “Check for Updates”.

We will provide additional updates and answers on a regular basis going forward. You can always reach out to our customer service team at 1 (855) 833-3221.

Sincerely, Mike Wood
So awesome that you drop by and give the owners thread an update, Mike!! This is my first Vizio and impressed so far.

Received that update a couple days ago and it resolved my biggest issues. Two bugs I noticed:

1) Active Full Array medium and high setting seem to be reversed? In all my testing with the setting, medium always ends up brighter then high.

2) In “Calibrated” picture mode I have to drop “brightness” to 49 when in Dolby Vision otherwise the letterbox black bars on top/bottom are slightly grey instead of solid black. Going from brightness 50 to 49 is a big jump visually so probably some step in between that will go full black without black crush. Calibrated Dark is fine in that regard, but adds even more black crush (try some of the dark scenes in movie Arrival, can’t see any detail in Calibrated Dark).

One other misc request — Add some options for volume overlay (smaller size, no visual, less intrusive indicator, etc). Currently it covers like the bottom 20% of screen and persists for what feels like a long time when you are trying to scrub back after turning up volume.

This is all with an Apple TV 4K as the source, FYI in case you do actually look into this.

Have a great one!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would say the 75 I have is a very good set. The Samsung Tv's this year are fine to, however no Dolby Vision is just foolish. The Sony's are nice too but no HDMI 2.1 is just very shortsighted.
My Tv has been great and yes I saw some of the issues everyone saw but remember get a warranty from where you buy your Tv set from that way your covered. I'm awaiting the update and look forward to the improvements. I'm sure as you can see the Vizio team will be here to help us along to get the set as good as it can be thats awesome to me that they are willing to do that.
I plan on getting rid of my Sony 950 85 and replace it with the P85x I'm sure its going to be an upgrade in every way !!!!

Anthony.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
So awesome that you drop by and give the owners thread an update, Mike!! This is my first Vizio and impressed so far.

Received that update a couple days ago and it resolved my biggest issues. Two bugs I noticed:

1) Active Full Array medium and high setting seem to be reversed? In all my testing with the setting, medium always ends up brighter then high.

2) In “Calibrated” picture mode I have to drop “brightness” to 49 when in Dolby Vision otherwise the letterbox black bars on top/bottom are slightly grey instead of solid black. Going from brightness 50 to 49 is a big jump visually so probably some step in between that will go full black without black crush. Calibrated Dark is fine in that regard, but adds even more black crush (try some of the dark scenes in movie Arrival, can’t see any detail in Calibrated Dark).

One other misc request — Add some options for volume overlay (smaller size, no visual, less intrusive indicator, etc). Currently it covers like the bottom 20% of screen and persists for what feels like a long time when you are trying to scrub back after turning up volume.

This is all with an Apple TV 4K as the source, FYI in case you do actually look into this.

Have a great one!
AFA High is just more aggressive local dimming. Medium is a balance between black level and peak brightness.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts

Sincerely, Mike Wood

Great to see you post something here. I remember Matt... can't remember his last name... but he used to post a lot during the 2016 P series era. It was fantastic to hear about updates to the TV as well as acknowledgment of issues so people know you're working on it. As this is an enthusiast group, I hope feedback and issues discussed here can make it directly to your development teams. I feel like that contributed to how awesome the P series was in 2016.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Great to see you post something here. I remember Matt... can't remember his last name... but he used to post a lot during the 2016 P series era. It was fantastic to hear about updates to the TV as well as acknowledgment of issues so people know you're working on it. As this is an enthusiast group, I hope feedback and issues discussed here can make it directly to your development teams. I feel like that contributed to how awesome the P series was in 2016.
Matt McRae...
That dude was awesome. He had the serial numbers for several of us who owned 2016 Ps slated to get firmware updates first so we could report back early.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

Sincerely, Mike Wood
So these brightness improvements to SDR and HDR are APL or full screen brightness?

Could provide information the LED profile for calibration? Is it BG-R(red phosphorus coated LED) or are all of them blue light?

Another is eARC support on the full bandwidth 2.1 ports, once more AVRs are released with 2.1 ports? I fully expect every port the AVRs to be full bandwidth 2.1 ports. This will cause connectivity issues, if those ports do not support eARC/ARC.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wanted to add that I replaced the Onkyo 686 with the new Yamaha rx-6a and everything works flawlessly! Not sure why the Onkyo wasn’t compatible, it was a dolby vision 4K 60 receiver. like other stated, the new update is a big step forward and no more annoying flickering!!

121 - 140 of 191 Posts