AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'll get this thread startedfirst off thanks to all who post replies that help us newbie's out in our purchases! I really appreciate it and have learned a ton about making the best decision based on MY NEEDS. From all the data provided on this board the last 3 months, I checked out Panny's, Pioneers, LG's and Sammy's and they're all fantastic looking panels. Yup I could afford all the above, but couldn't justify the added cost, I really consider TV a luxury and certainly don't spend all that much time in front of it. I came from a 27 Phillips CRT, so anything out there will look amazing to meso all this could be taken with a grain of salt to the hard core enthusiasts out there.


Interest in this model started back with the launch of the XVT LCD series. Like others I became frustrated with the continuous delayed launch of this product. I chose to look at it from two points of vieweither something happened in there JIT (just in time MFG) or they (Vizio) determined they had some sort of quality issue that would tarnish the reputation they're building as a viable option to the big hitters out thereso they made the executive decision to hold back and put a good product outguess only time will tell, and I'm willing to take the chance. Especially with the Costco return policy.


My TV time consists of NFL Football, AMA Supercross/MX, Superbikes, NHRA Drag racing, F1 and Animated movies...my viewing distance is 12-15'.


So I picked mine up last Friday, with the Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM HDTV Tuner I was able to get all my local channels programmed so I could watch both college and NFL HD games. I got it set up in time to watch the 2nd half of the Utah vs. Alabama game in HDwow! Then on Saturday the Cardinal game was simply amazing on NBCs' feedI've been to that stadium twice this year and it was so realistic! All the games were fantastic to see in HD, then the Supercross race in Anaheim was broadcast live on Speed...unwatchable with the 480 feed IMO, luckily CBS will have a couple of broadcasts soon, so that will be a good test to justify DirecTV.


I really haven't had the need to mess with the picture other than the (Standard, Movie, Game and Sports settings). Standard at this point is acceptable for the stuff I've watched so faroh we did watch Iron Man on Blu-Ray last night (dark room). Started in Movie modechanged back to standard to get the blacks betterFWIW.


In the end of it all, I got a complete system (Panel, Blu-Ray and stand) for $1800 OTD, which left funds available to get the Girlfriend a new MacBook Pro as well!


Cheers all, looking forward to sharing data in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts
I have a few questions about this set. I know that it uses a Panasonic panel, but does it share the same flaws as Panasonics? Specifically, will it do 1080p over VGA? Does it have terrible noise in any of the pictures modes (like Panasonics do in non-cinema/THX modes)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15464680


I have a few questions about this set. I know that it uses a Panasonic panel, but does it share the same flaws as Panasonics? Specifically, will it do 1080p over VGA? Does it have terrible noise in any of the pictures modes (like Panasonics do in non-cinema/THX modes)?

Does 1080p via VGA. It corrects the biggest flaw with Panny's as it does not flicker with the 24p setting. Not sure about noise yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
I just bought one. Got a couple of questions.


The stand is pre-installed right?


Do I break it in or just stay away from static images for the first month or so?


TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim /forum/post/15464834


Does 1080p via VGA. It corrects the biggest flaw with Panny's as it does not flicker with the 24p setting. Not sure about noise yet.

Yeah, but it doesn't actually display judder-free 24p, does it? It just converts to 60hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
supposedly senses 24p and does 5:5 for judder free 24p (yet unconfirmed) thanks to it's REON chip.


Edit: just read the UltimateAvmag review, apparently it judders with DVDs. (2:3?)


Supposedly the REON chip also does affective noise reduction, even with HD (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts
What about IR and screen reflections? This has been a problem with past Vizios. Does it have the same anti reflective screen as the Panasonics? If it really is using Panasonic technology the IR should be greatly improved and probably the same as their 2008 models. It's supposed to have the same black levels at .015. I know there are people that own this set already so please post pics! All I have seen so far of this set is marketing photos. Is the Vizio logo that is lit up on the front distracting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Panny's have tested from .007 -.015....so if it matches the Panny's it could be as low as .007(which is the level I believe this gen. Panny's are from owning and comparing to my .004 8g kuro)

The glare would then also be the same most likely.

Same with IR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/15465415


What about IR and screen reflections? This has been a problem with past Vizios. Does it have the same anti reflective screen as the Panasonics? If it really is using Panasonic technology the IR should be greatly improved and probably the same as their 2008 models. It's supposed to have the same black levels at .015. I know there are people that own this set already so please post pics! All I have seen so far of this set is marketing photos. Is the Vizio logo that is lit up on the front distracting?

Past Vizio plasmas have used LG panels, which have pretty bad IR. I'm sure this will be much, much better in that respect.


How is the color of this TV? I used to own a Panasonic 700u and the colors were so ugly that I had to get rid of it. I can't tell just from looking at a chart of the color points, which appear to be about the same as every other TV (accurate blue, oversaturated red, waaay oversaturated green).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15465458


Panny's have tested from .007 -.015....so if it matches the Panny's it could be as low as .007(which is the level I believe this gen. Panny's are from owning and comparing to my .004 8g kuro)

The glare would then also be the same most likely.

Same with IR.

You have/had an 1150, right? Do you think this will be a giant step down from that, as far as black levels? i think the 1150's black levels are fantastic but the picture is so horribly noisy that I'm seriously thinking about replacing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey /forum/post/15465159


supposedly senses 24p and does 5:5 for judder free 24p (yet unconfirmed) thanks to it's REON chip.


Edit: just read the UltimateAvmag review, apparently it judders with DVDs. (2:3?)


Supposedly the REON chip also does affective noise reduction, even with HD (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts
If this is just basically a rebadged 2008 Panasonic with HQV processor for less than the 800u, why even pay more for the Panasonic if you can get a 2 year warranty from Costco?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/15465690


If this is just basically a rebadged 2008 Panasonic with HQV processor for less than the 800u, why even pay more for the Panasonic if you can get a 2 year warranty from Costco?

Yup that's why I bought it. Was all set to buy the PZ800U then I heard about the Vizio and figured with the Costco return and warranty policy it was a much better buy than the Panny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by septim /forum/post/15465772


Yup that's why I bought it. Was all set to buy the PZ800U then I heard about the Vizio and figured with the Costco return and warranty policy it was a much better buy than the Panny.

Post some pictures man!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I don't find the Vizio logo distracting at all. I love this TV. I have not messed with my settings and find the picture quality to be sharp. is thereanything i can do to make it better? (if possible lol)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Panasonic has a much better household name. Most people will buy a brand they know and trust regardless of the price.


Also Panasonic is a global CE R&D and manufacturer.


To say that this Vizio is better then Panasonic's 800u is probably accurate in terms of noise reduction, SD performance and adjustability - and perhaps also in reliability due to the active fans.


But next year Panasonic is coming out with extremely low energy panels that rival LCDs, for their own Viera and Pioneer's Kuro line. Vizio will have to wait another year for that technology to become accessible to them. Then when they do get it, Panasonic and Pioneer will have something even more amazing in the wings which Vizio will have to wait for.


Panasonic is just a much bigger and far better company then Vizio. Vizio can easily go the same route as Olevia particular in this economy if they're not careful.


With all that said, I like values more than brand names and am too considering a 505 vxt purchase over a comparable Panasonic -- which doesn't give me as much value for my money (flickering, noisy picture, red push, green tint, lack of adjustability, bad power board, more expensive, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg /forum/post/15465690


If this is just basically a rebadged 2008 Panasonic with HQV processor for less than the 800u, why even pay more for the Panasonic if you can get a 2 year warranty from Costco?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey /forum/post/15466280


To say that this Vizio is better then Panasonic's 800u is probably accurate in terms of noise reduction, SD performance and adjustability - and perhaps also in reliability due to the active fans.

I thought the Panasonic also had 3 or 4 fans?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey /forum/post/15466280


Panasonic has a much better household name. Most people will buy a brand they know and trust regardless of the price.


Also Panasonic is a global CE R&D and manufacturer.


To say that this Vizio is better then Panasonic's 800u is probably accurate in terms of noise reduction, SD performance and adjustability - and perhaps also in reliability due to the active fans.


But next year Panasonic is coming out with extremely low energy panels that rival LCDs, for their own Viera and Pioneer's Kuro line. Vizio will have to wait another year for that technology to become accessible to them. Then when they do get it, Panasonic and Pioneer will have something even more amazing in the wings which Vizio will have to wait for.


Panasonic is just a much bigger and far better company then Vizio. Vizio can easily go the same route as Olevia particular in this economy if they're not careful.


With all that said, I like values more than brand names and am too considering a 505 vxt purchase over a comparable Panasonic -- which doesn't give me as much value for my money (flickering, noisy picture, red push, green tint, lack of adjustability, bad power board, more expensive, etc)

Uhmmmm, thanks for sharing?


I'm not really concerned what improvements Panasonic will roll out in late summer for more than twice the price of this set.


You either want top-of-the-line bleeding edge tech or you want a great value. IMO this is a great balance between the two.
 
1 - 20 of 363 Posts
Top