AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

At or before February 17, 2009, at 11:59:59 local time, all full-power analog TV stations will be required to sign off.

What will YOUR station do when that moment comes, on air and off-air?

For some, obviously, it will come before that date so that the switchover to a digital transmitter can occur. A few small stations have already done this, without fanfare.

On-air:

Engineers and station officials gather around a button and the owner pushes it?

A national anthem, and the engineer flips the switch and goes home as he mutters/grumbles something about spending the next few months gutting the tranny for a digital backup?

All on-air staff say goodbye to analog in live/recorded messages?

A special about where the station has been in its history up until that point?

What about off-air:

A champagne toast/party in the studio?

Everyone just goes home?

"I survived analog" T-shirts passed to employees?

Sledgehammer to the 40 year old plus power-sucking, vacuum-tube transmitters that were limped along until the big day?

Let's hear 'em! What you did, what you plan to do, what are you doing?

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/14315685

Hello all,

At or before February 17, 2009, at 11:59:59 local time, all full-power analog TV stations will be required to sign off.

For some, obviously, it will come before that date so that the switchover to a digital transmitter can occur. A few small stations have already done this, without fanfare.

On-air:

A national anthem, and the engineer flips the switch and goes home as he mutters/grumbles something about spending the next few months gutting the tranny for a digital backup?

All on-air staff say goodbye to analog in live/recorded messages?

A special about where the station has been in its history up until that point?

What about off-air:

A champagne toast/party in the studio?

Everyone just goes home?

"I survived analog" T-shirts passed to employees?

Sledgehammer to the 40 year old plus power-sucking, vacuum-tube transmitters that were limped along until the big day?

Let's hear 'em! What you did, what you plan to do, what are you doing?

A lot of prayer and getting ready for a very long night.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I want to wish all the TV pros who come here a "I hope it comes out as you want it to, with no - to minimal hassles (at least unexpected ones)". Good luck guys and gals. I'm cheering for you.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4yqt /forum/post/14322247

They will still be using vacuum tube amplifiers for transmitting. In fact, it may be the same old transmitter but configured for the new digital modulation type.

If it is a UHF transmitter and it is only a few years old, then yes, you will see quite a few transmitters converted. Older UHF transmitters will either hit the used international market or the landfill. VHF tubes in the digital world, you will not see that. If has been almost 20 years since you could buy a tube VHF transmitter. Any tube VHF transmitter still out there would not be a candidate for conversion due to age and economics and plus you don't need that kind of power for VHF digital.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Everything should be good on the drop dead date, only exceptioni being

the stations that flash cut their digital signal to their current analog

channel... Not too many of them .. be interestingn to watch but a lot of testing

will be had before the cut over so im not seeing a lot of problems.

One of my locals here in Binghamton WVIA is analog ch 36 and digital 4,

they are importing a transmitter from a sister station in the west after

the drop date and put it right back on channel 36 in ATSC.

John

Oh yeah check out rabbit ears its a good site on current stations and such. http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnied /forum/post/14326712

Everything should be good on the drop dead date, only exceptioni being the stations that flash cut their digital signal to their current analog channel... Not too many of them ..

Not too many of them? Using Falcon_77's spreadsheet, my count is 502 stations currently set to flash cut their digital channel to their analog channel. That number is likely to go up a bit as some of the stations that have petitioned for changes to their post-transition channels have asked to use their current analog channel instead. But most of the stations doing flash cuts to their analog channel should be able to control when they do so and their testing. Not so for stations with their post-trans digital channel currently occupied by a analog signal in their coverage area.

As what the station should do at the cutoff? Play the national anthem, go to a test pattern with a scrolling text message saying this is absolutely the final warning on getting a converter box. Then cut to a live shot from inside the engineering control or transmitter room where the station engineer makes some final remarks (NTSC, you have served us well, but alas, we have to let you go), then can be seen throwing a switch as the analog signal goes dark. Better yet, the switch should be a giant knife switch that arcs as it is pulled.

Wonder if Leno & Letterman will be on the air that night or will the major broadcast networks pre-empt them for live coverage of the analog shutdown starting on the east coast? I think they should, they owe their existence to NTSC. And it would be a good opportunity for last minute education of both the analog and digital viewers on what they need to do.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:

Engineer turns transmitter(s) off from laptop in bed. Pokes wifey to see if she is in the mood. (Nope) Goes to sleep mumbling about all the phone calls he will get the next day from the clueless who despite endless crawls and PSA's

know nothing about the transition..and Beatching about it being a conspiracy to make them buy a new tv, or pay for cable/satellite.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:

Is that AM or PM?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
11:59:59 PM on 17 Feb 2009, or 1 second before midnight of 18 Feb 2009.

·
Registered
419 Posts
As a network and database administrator on call for the Y2K switchover, I have a feeling they will be doing exactly what I was doing: standing by waiting to fight "fires" if need be. Hopefully their "big day" will be as uneventful as mine was.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe /forum/post/14331260

Engineer turns transmitter(s) off from laptop in bed. Pokes wifey to see if she is in the mood. (Nope) Goes to sleep mumbling about all the phone calls he will get the next day from the clueless who despite endless crawls and PSA's

know nothing about the transition..and Beatching about it being a conspiracy to make them buy a new tv, or pay for cable/satellite.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a man who is IN THE KNOW!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I do wonder how many will be ticked on the day of as they flip thew all the static then sit there messing with the ant for a few hours before calling all the local stations all worried

·
Registered
14,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/14347338

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a man who is IN THE KNOW!

For those who are staying on their digital channels and just turning off the analog, that is all that is required or needed. For those changing channels, it is a little more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts