AVS Forum banner

10701 - 10720 of 10791 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Request help - need previous firmware

Hi,

I recently updated the firmware on my 1050 and at the same time updated a couple of components, and now I am getting some intermittent glitchy results with both audio and video depending on the source. For troubleshooting, I'd love to go all the way back to firmware 1.77 which is what I had before upgrading, but I cannot find this anywhere on the Yamaha site, or via a google search. Does anyone here happen to have a copy that they might have saved of the file?

Also, when I am done with the troubleshooting, I'd like to get back to 2.60 (not 2.65 as I prefer vtuner and the way it handles favorites vs airable), so I'd need the 2.60 firmware file as well.

If anyone has the files or links, I would be very, very grateful. Thanks!

-db

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I recently updated the firmware on my 1050 and at the same time updated a couple of components, and now I am getting some intermittent glitchy results with both audio and video depending on the source. For troubleshooting, I'd love to go all the way back to firmware 1.77 which is what I had before upgrading, but I cannot find this anywhere on the Yamaha site, or via a google search. Does anyone here happen to have a copy that they might have saved of the file?

Why do you think the AVR is the source of the problem? What are the other components you upgraded? It could be an HDMI problem: do your versions match (not saying they have to, but I have had problems with different HDMI versions). You might check this thread for "old" firmware versions, but I'm not so sure you can even revert with this AVR (and it may not even help).

Reactions: bwillcox

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why do you think the AVR is the source of the problem? What are the other components you upgraded? It could be an HDMI problem: do your versions match (not saying they have to, but I have had problems with different HDMI versions). You might check this thread for "old" firmware versions, but I'm not so sure you can even revert with this AVR (and it may not even help).
Appreciate your ideas and desire to help, but long story short I know it is the AVR... components connected directly and bypassing the AVR = no glitches. Hooking up original components via the AVR is now also yielding the glitches... yes, it could be a cabling issue or something, but all my years of experience say to troubleshoot the AVR next... I just need the old firmware please, and am hoping someone here might have saved the files and will be kind enough to assist by sharing.

-db

·
Registered
112 Posts
Request help - need previous firmware

Hi,

Also, when I am done with the troubleshooting, I'd like to get back to 2.60 (not 2.65 as I prefer vtuner and the way it handles favorites vs airable), so I'd need the 2.60 firmware file as well.

If anyone has the files or links, I would be very, very grateful. Thanks!

-db
I think v1.77 was the initial, pre-installed version. The earliest I have as backup is v1.81. I can offer also the v2.60.
But I am not sure whether can downgrade to an earlier version so easily or even possible.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2016 A-3050 running 2.65 firmware. The receiver will not pass a 4K HDR signal from my apple tv box or my PC ( RTX-280Ti at 4K). I switched to Mode 1 for HDMI and now it will, however now it won't display my PC signal ( 4K non HDR ). Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't been in this thread for a while now and just out of interest I popped my head in...I have a BenQ 3550 and I run FireStick 4k. I didn't know that the 3050 couldn't pass DV. However, my PJ doesn't support it. Consequently, I have been having issues with the HDR content and I am now wondering if this is somehow related.

FireStick 4K is plugged into 3050. All HDR content plays in HDR10. Is there a conversion from DV to HDR10. What happens when the source is DV?

Thanks in advance.
How did you get the 3050 to pass HDR content? I tried switching to MODE 1 but now it won't display the 4K signal from my PC.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
How did you get the 3050 to pass HDR content? I tried switching to MODE 1 but now it won't display the 4K signal from my PC.
I can’t get 4K HDR to play from my PC. I’ve read up on it a little here. Seems some type of codec issue. It either glitches out or plays with the colors all washed out. However, on the Firestick 4K, HDR plays as HDR10 on my BenQ 3550 and it also plays on my Insignia Fire TV.

I’m still not sure if it’s actually HDR...

Can someone confirm that the 3050 passes HDR when on Mode 1?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I can’t get 4K HDR to play from my PC. I’ve read up on it a little here. Seems some type of codec issue. It either glitches out or plays with the colors all washed out. However, on the Firestick 4K, HDR plays as HDR10 on my BenQ 3550 and it also plays on my Insignia Fire TV.

I’m still not sure if it’s actually HDR...

Can someone confirm that the 3050 passes HDR when on Mode 1?
Yes, but not Dolby Vision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, but not Dolby Vision.

Agreed it passes HDR in Mode 1 confirmed with Apple TV 4K, so when I am in Mode 1 why will it not pass my 4K signal from my PC RTX-2080Ti when it would pass it in Mode 2?

Really frustrating because I need it in Mode 1 for Apple TV 4K to get my Netflix, Disney Plus and Prime Video in HDR and ATMOS sound but I also play UHD 4K HDR ATMOS titles from my PC, and have to switch back and forth from Mode 1 to Mode 2.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats odd,

I have a 3050 and an Appletv and a pc and all works with 4k and hdr for both sourcesin mode 1. The pc has a gtx1070 not a 2080 but both nvidia.

Maybe it’s more about the hdmi sink, what display do you have? I have a jvc 7500.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thats odd,

I have a 3050 and an Appletv and a pc and all works with 4k and hdr for both sourcesin mode 1. The pc has a gtx1070 not a 2080 but both nvidia.

Maybe it’s more about the hdmi sink, what display do you have? I have a jvc 7500.
How do you switch this series from mode 1 and mode 2. Was that introduced in a later firmware?

From my reading it supports HDR but not Dolby Vision on the RX-A1050,2050,3050. I am specifically asking about the RX-A3050. Thank you and happy holidays!

Is mode 1 in the menus under advanced or is it accessed from the AVR being off and doing a key sequence on the panel. I've read both situations are possible on Yamaha Aventage AVRS .

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
How do you switch this series from mode 1 and mode 2. Was that introduced in a later firmware?

From my reading it supports HDR but not Dolby Vision on the RX-A1050,2050,3050. I am specifically asking about the RX-A3050. Thank you and happy holidays!

Is mode 1 in the menus under advanced or is it accessed from the AVR being off and doing a key sequence on the panel. I've read both situations are possible on Yamaha Aventage AVRS .

The Mode 1/2 switch is only available via the Advanced Menu (manual page 158).
The xx50 series can pass HDR but not DV.

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The Mode 1/2 switch is only available via the Advanced Menu (manual page 158).
The xx50 series can pass HDR but not DV.
Thank you I saw your post, I made a condensed .pdf of 156-159 for the person having trouble and sent it to them. I appreciate your response. I knew it was either key combo while off or perhaps in the gui on later models. Either way, it was the info I seeked. I attached the pdf highlighting the process perhaps for someone else.

Thank you.

RXA1050/2050/3050 Advanced Menu Mode1:Mode2

·
Registered
195 Posts
Still Worth It?

A friend of mine is selling a RX-A1050.

I am replacing a Pioneer SC-37 which doesn’t support 4K at all and I’m now with a 4K tv.

I am using a PlayStation 4 Pro for my BD player as my Oppo isn’t 4K and won’t talk to my 4K tv for video at all.

Friend is asking $500 for the unit.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Still Worth It?

A friend of mine is selling a RX-A1050.

I am replacing a Pioneer SC-37 which doesn’t support 4K at all and I’m now with a 4K tv.

I am using a PlayStation 4 Pro for my BD player as my Oppo isn’t 4K and won’t talk to my 4K tv for video at all.

Friend is asking $500 for the unit.
Go online and check the specs. The older AVRs didn't support 4K UHD at the high frame rate of 60fps, and also may not support Dolby Vision or HDR. At that price point you could be looking at an RX-a*070 or even an RX-a*080.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a Yamaha RX-A3050 that has stopped working. It doesn’t turn on at all. The standby light doesn’t blink as mentioned in the manual and there are no error messages at all. I have just recently moved into a new house and was working on setting up the theater system. I had developed a hum in my subwoofer prior to moving out of the old house. I still had the hum in the new house and resolved it by running a ground wire from the amp to the receiver. That was just a couple of days ago and I was able to turn the receiver on then. This afternoon I was finishing running speaker wires when something tripped the circuit breaker. The receiver was turned off at this time along with nearly everything else in the room, so it shouldn’t have overloaded. It was right after that when I tried to turn on the receiver and couldn’t. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a Yamaha RX-A3050 that has stopped working. It doesn’t turn on at all. The standby light doesn’t blink as mentioned in the manual and there are no error messages at all. I have just recently moved into a new house and was working on setting up the theater system. I had developed a hum in my subwoofer prior to moving out of the old house. I still had the hum in the new house and resolved it by running a ground wire from the amp to the receiver. That was just a couple of days ago and I was able to turn the receiver on then. This afternoon I was finishing running speaker wires when something tripped the circuit breaker. The receiver was turned off at this time along with nearly everything else in the room, so it shouldn’t have overloaded. It was right after that when I tried to turn on the receiver and couldn’t. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like a classic blown fuse (inside the AVR)...or possibly something shorted/burned out in the main power supply. Either way, it may be very "fixable" with some minimal electrical experience if you aren't afraid to "open up the hood".
Obviously you want to do this with the unit unplugged.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Playing with power supplies can be tricky if any capacitors still hold a charge. iFixit.com should have some good advice for beginners venturing into this territory.

If it seems daunting, I'd leave it to professionals personally. Might also want an electrician to examine the circuits in the "new house" if it's an older home, just new to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I kind of figured it was something like a failed capacitor in the receiver. I’m working on getting it fixed. I’m just not sure if that, the hum, and the breaker tripping are connected since the receiver was off at the time. An electrician is coming today to check the wiring. It is an older home. Comcast is coming tomorrow because I discovered yesterday that my cable box in that room had gone out, so definitely something weird going on.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I kind of figured it was something like a failed capacitor in the receiver. I’m working on getting it fixed. I’m just not sure if that, the hum, and the breaker tripping are connected since the receiver was off at the time. An electrician is coming today to check the wiring. It is an older home. Comcast is coming tomorrow because I discovered yesterday that my cable box in that room had gone out, so definitely something weird going on.
If your receiver was actually in standby vs. powered off (i.e., unplugged), then your power supply would still be connected to your house power line.

10701 - 10720 of 10791 Posts