AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 2103 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If the receiver detects that a firmware update is available then the first time afterwards you press the On Screen button on the remote it will show a message indicating that a new update is available and offering to do the update now. If you choose to do the update later then you'll an exclamation mark over the Information icon on the On Screen menu to remind you that there is a newer version of the firmware available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi just a few questions about my next receiver upgrade from a RXV1700B which still does a fantastic job however looking at expanding channels and a few more HDMI's to reduce cabling.

I run Australian VAF research DC-X fronts, DC-Xcc center, DC-7 rear and 2 powered VAF Subs

Trying to decide between RX-A3020 vs RX-V3073, but can only see minor differences between the 2 like HD radio and a one off mention that there were some better internal components used. What are your thought on the differences between the 2? I'm leaning towards the 3073 as i can get it for AUD$2350 with 6 years warranty total, otherwise i would have to freight one from interstate.

I had planned on using the 7ch bi amp + PF+ PR Configuration (ie biamping the front speakers (4 channels) and also running center + surrounds + surround backs using the RXV3073 and using my RXV1700 for the presence front and presence rear). I will still be able to use the Zone 4 HDMI out but cant use any zone pre outs on the main amp with that setup but will still have zones 2 and 3 to play with on the 1700. Do you think there will be a massive difference in SQ and sound stage with the extra 6 speakers and bi amping (not true biamping)?

Also what quality surround speakers would would you suggest, very good quality or would my 15 year old legacy Yamaha surround sound speakers do the job ok?

Cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1lj  /t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/120#post_22544036

see minor differences between the 2 like HD radio

FYI... I don't know if the HD Radio implementation is the same as my RX-A2020 but would imagine it is throughout the family. If you live where HD reception is sketchy and that's common, very common, you will not be able to utilize your FM Stereo when an HD station doesn't work. The tuner automatically switches to HD if present and if it's non-functional, leaves you there. You cannot disable the HD and listen to the otherwise perfectly good FM Stereo. The system will not allow you to select the FM once HD has been detected. Most HD Radio's permit you to disable the HD when the signal is too poor to receive properly. The 2020 does not.

In my area this prevents me from utilizing any station which has poor HD. That's a majority of my prime FM stations. So basically the tuner is limited to the second tier stations. I've spoke with Yamaha TS a number of times regarding this and they simply don't know about it, this includes their second level support as well.

I was told that you can set up the FM as mono only and it will go ahead and receive a FM mono signal. That doesn't interest me so I haven't tried it. I have hopes of a future FW update fixing this since one tech told me that the "mode" switch was supposed to provide for the disable and it does not at present.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Only the American version of the RX-A3020 has HD Radio support, as HD Radio stations don't exist outside of the US.

Assuming it's the same as previous years models then the only differences between the Austrailian versions of RX-A3073 and RX-A3020 are the fifth foot and waranty length. The internal components will be identical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We only got SD digital Radio where I live a few years ago, by the time we get HD this receiver will be well and truly legacy equipment so not concerned with that feature.

Thanks for the info, WTF would they bother making two separate models then? So they could charge an extra 200 bucks for an Aventage sticker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i couldn't see how to make it do it from the on screen so i went into the advanced set up via the front buttons

updating right now

do i need to redo the the yapo ?

i must say im really pleased with this receiver(3020) much better than my old dsp-az1 which id had for quite some time

now not so please the update failed with an error code 2000 now the amp says rom error

not best pleased

any help would be appreciated

ok sorted found out there is a get out jail option to force the amp to update from the usb which worked

·
Registered
221 Posts
I experienced the very same situation last night. Update via the internet failed with code 2000 and upon re-power exhibited ROM Error. Totally dead, no reboot, nada.... Yamaha Tech Support had me go through the "USB Recovery" as outlined on their website. It saved the day. Very relieved. I really wasn't looking forward to sending this receiver out for service.

Note to self.... Don't do firmware updates on Halloween eve. Going through this with the door bell ringing off the wall and our dog going nuts was interesting to say the least....

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1lj  /t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/120#post_22545853

We only got SD digital Radio where I live a few years ago, by the time we get HD this receiver will be well and truly legacy equipment so not concerned with that feature.

HD Radio isn't "high-definition", it's just the trademark of the particular digital broadcasting format used in the United States. Arguably the DAB+ format used in Australia is superior HD Radio, but a lot depends on the compression level radio choosen by broadcasters. In Europe low bitrates have made digital radio much worse than tradational analogue FM broadcasts in many cases.

Note that HD Radio is the only digital radio format Yamaha receivers support, and only by high-end American models. Receivers sold elsewhere only support analogue AM/FM reception.
Quote:
Thanks for the info, WTF would they bother making two separate models then? So they could charge an extra 200 bucks for an Aventage sticker.

Yup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

Checking the AH review found this:
Quote:
First off, they need to fix the quirk where the Main Zone is automatically switched to Airplay when Zones 2 or 3 start Airplay. This one issue could prevent me from recommending this receiver to be the heart of a multi-room system for a family. I can just imagine is the frustration of watching TV and having the receiver suddenly switch to AirPlay because of someone using it in Zone 2
Source

Is this true for the production model? or has a FW update fixed the issue?

Any idea if this is only for Airplay, or the same happens with any network (or non-network) source?

·
Banned
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpattern  /t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/120#post_22546550

I experienced the very same situation last night. Update via the internet failed with code 2000 and upon re-power exhibited ROM Error. Totally dead, no reboot, nada.... Yamaha Tech Support had me go through the "USB Recovery" as outlined on their website. It saved the day. Very relieved. I really wasn't looking forward to sending this receiver out for service.

Note to self.... Don't do firmware updates on Halloween eve. Going through this with the door bell ringing off the wall and our dog going nuts was interesting to say the least....

My 3020 showed up yesterday and the update via network also failed with "ERROR! 2000". Fortunately, the USB recovery/update worked fine, if rather slow.

Also of note, I had actually tried the USB update first and got a "device error". The thumb drive was formatted NTFS and there were a few other files on it not related to the .bin firmware file. I reformatted the drive to FAT32 and loaded only the firmware file. Worked fine after that.

As for the receiver itself, I replaced a A3000 for the extra amps, improved amp assignment function, and I was able to get a very good price for the A3000. I use a 5-channel Sunfire with the A3020 and have a second zone. I am extremely pleased with the refinements of the 3020 so far and am looking forward to wringing it out a bit more this weekend.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Anyone have any info on the recent FW update with respect to whatever it did with YPAO? I'm curious to understand what was done with YPAO so I may know what to expect when I go back through my setup.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven  /t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/120#post_22530120

I recently purchased the RX-A1010. When I was able to sell my Lumagen Radiance, I went to my local Yamaha seller (where I bought the a1010) to see about exchanging & upgrading to the RX-2020 and we made the swap today.

While the RX-A1010 was very good, I am hearing a pretty big difference with the A2020 post YPAO adjustments. I noticed the 2020 uses a different YPAO mic and wondered if there are some differences between the 1010 and 2020 regarding acoustic calibrations.

My production studio is a 16' x 25' space with the RX-A2020 feeding a 7.1 surround built with JBL Control 5 Monitors and a BIC PL-200 sub. I am using the MOTU HD Express to get video and 8 channels of sound over HDMI to the RX-A2020.

What kind of difference are you noticing? Could it be because the 20xx models have YPAO with reflected sound control and the 10xx don't? I am asking because I have right now a $960 RX-A2010 (last year's) and would be served as well by a $400 RX-A1010 zones-wise, but one of the main differences is the YPAO features. It seems like the YPAO with RSC is the one that maps reasonably well to the Audyssey MultiEQ XT in terms of features. That one can be had in a $400 Denon, but the Denon's amp assignment compared to Yamaha sucks, so make that a $550 solution compared to the $400 Yamaha...

Would you rate the sound difference worth doubling the price of the receiver (I know... 3 zones vs 2; 2 more amps; but I am asking about just the sound). And if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the 2020?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I am having an issue with AirPlay on my rx-a1020 receiver and having difficulty finding any support information on the web. I have the receiver on the network and connecting fine using dhcp (Internet ration or playing audio with server input both work fine). All devices including iphone4s on ios6, new iPad on ios6, and windows notebook with iTunes are on same network in same subnet.

I find that I cannot consistently get airplay working. If I turn the receiver to AirPlay input the airplay icon will often appear briefly on any of my devices but then simply disappears. Occasionally I have gotten audio to play through AirPlay but if I let an album stop playing for any reason, AirPlay icon disappears on all devices and I cannot get it to re- appear reliably. One trick I have found that works most of the time is to change the receiver network settings to static IP, let receiver connect this way (and AirPlay icon appears, I can connect device but no audio will play at all). I then change receiver back to dhcp and sometimes, AirPlay will then work but again once album finishes, icon disappears and I can't get it back. I do not have firewall turned on either on router or notebook.

Has anyone heard of this and does anyone have any advice? I have tried adding router and device mac addresses to the receiver and this made no difference.

I would appreciate any advice. I bought this model specifically as it had airplay and other than this have loved it's quality and usability so really hoping i can get this sorted out.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have a legacy component connected to my 1020 - get audio but no video.

Laser Disc connected to A/V 2 as coax for audio and s-VHS for video.

Thought the s-VHS video would be upconverted and then sent back to the TV via my HDMI out.

Must I also have an s-VHS out back to the TV, if so what is the benefit?

I would try this but am out of s-VHS cables.

Looked in the PDF but don't see any other settings that affect this.

TIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,

Can somebody please help me ...

I have a Yamaha AVENTAGE 2010 receiver and I'm wondering if this is possible ?

I want to be able to use different **speaker levels** for different inputs

e.g. when I choose AV-input1 ... I want the center speaker to have the volume as -2.5 ( which is the av-input for my XBMC )

but for my Av-input2 I want the center speaker volume to be +3 ( which is the av-input for my DreamBox, used for football ... e.g. Sky Sports )

Is this possible ?

If this is possible ... please describe how I can set the different level of the center-speaker for the different inputs ...

I don't want to go to the manual-setup each time and tune the center-speaker manually !?

Kind regards,

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass2  /t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/150#post_22553934

Laser Disc connected to A/V 2 as coax for audio and s-VHS for video.

Thought the s-VHS video would be upconverted and then sent back to the TV via my HDMI out.

It should work. Make sure you don't have anything connected to the other AV2 video inputs, HDMI, component or composite. You can try turning on video video processing ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Video -> Processing). You can also check the video signal information screen while you've got the LaserDisc player on and AV2 selected ([On Screen] -> Information -> Video Signal).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, just got my 3020 today and am having trouble figuring out if something I am looking to do is possible. I would like to use the optical audio output to send signal to my wireless headphone setup. I have 3 hdmi and one component/rca audio input. I've been going through the manual and can't figure out if I can get the audio out over this output simultaneously.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxJuggernaut  /t/1415108/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread/150#post_22557428

Hey, just got my 3020 today and am having trouble figuring out if something I am looking to do is possible. I would like to use the optical audio output to send signal to my wireless headphone setup. I have 3 hdmi and one component/rca audio input. I've been going through the manual and can't figure out if I can get the audio out over this output simultaneously.

I'll be able to validate for you in a couple days, but I'm fairly confident the answer is no. Page 46 on my manual says that "The AV OUT jacks cannot output video/audio signals input through the HDMI or COMPONENT VIDEO jacks" in the notes, so I'm confident you'll have to run optical from the HDMI devices to inputs as well to get an optical out. I've had to do this from my DVD players in order to record to Minidisc recently, optical signal is not created by the AVR from HDMI.

Yamaha receivers don't translate between digital and analog audio internally for any reason, if we've wanted analog outputs we'd always have to run them in. So your Component/analog RCA pair is mostly likely only going to come out of your analog outputs.

141 - 160 of 2103 Posts