AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are a number of differences which provide reasonable justification for the price difference - especially the DAC chipset and perhaps the amplifier circuit design. Whether you notice or prefer the differences is ultimately the answer to your question.

I actually picked up the RX-A730 last year, which is very close to the RX-A830. Had I known about the ESS Sabre DACs, I probably might have sprung for the RX-A1030. The networking, DLNA streaming, 24/192 digital, and good mobile apps are included with all Aventage models and sonic performance make these wonderful A/V receivers.

Sorry, I tried to post links to the Aventage model comparisons, but my post count must be higher for that capability (really?!?).

RXA1030
10W/channel more power
Symmetrical Amplifier Layout (Symmetrical amp design potentially lowers distortion, better handling of even harmonics)
24bit/192KHz DAC: ESS Technology ES9006 SABRE™ Premier Audio DAC (I really love ESS Sabre DACs, have ESS Sabre³² Reference 32-bit 8-channel audio DAC in my Benchmark DAC2, it is very detailed, resolved but smooth)
Phono Input (If you spin vinyl, MM phono support is nice to have)
Has HD-Radio

RXA830
Discrete Amplifier section
Virtual Cinema DSP: AIR SURROUND XTREME (not something I need)
24bit/192KHz DAC: Burr Brown (specific chip unspecified, but BB 24/192 are good DACs, and some may like the way this sounds better)
Thanks for the response. I'm no audiophile by any means, you know . . . "the lows wanted to be crisp and punchy but instead ended up laying on the floor in a tired heap while the highs gasped desperately for air from being strangled by the otherwise mild mannered midrange" type of thing. However, I do like quality components and the Aventage series seems to fit that standard. . .

So, a couple of questions. Can you really hear the difference in the BB and the ESS DAC's to the point of a "Wow" factor? If you use your 730 for movies, are you satisfied with its' performance or would more power be beneficial?

The reason I ask is due to the feedback I've gotten at local stores from knowledgeable individuals with the understanding that they are not going to sell me either model. Their conclusion is that I wouldn't be satisfied with the 830 but that opinion seems to be based on my owning the rxv1300. . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 730 and am having problems streaming flac files above 24 48.  Anything above this resolution plays intermittently and the higher the resolution, the more intermittently the music plays.  I can play 24 192 off of the USB with no problems, but when the exact same files are streamed by the NAS through the 100Mbs LAN, playback becomes intermittent.  If I stream the same files to my PC through the same network, there are no problems what so ever.   The NAS is a synolgy 207+.  Any thoughts?

Same here. I think it might have something to do with the amount of memory in the Yamaha, and how quickly those memory buffers fill up when accessed through a wired network connection to the NAS. It seems to go away after 5 minutes or so, leading me to think it possibly has something to do with loading the catalog into memory. My Synology DS-Audio app that I use on my iPhone and iPad are the best interfaces for browsing DLNA sources and playing my music anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm no audiophile by any means, you know . . . "the lows wanted to be crisp and punchy but instead ended up laying on the floor in a tired heap while the highs gasped desperately for air from being strangled by the otherwise mild mannered midrange" type of thing. However, I do like quality components and the Aventage series seems to fit that standard. . .

So, a couple of questions. Can you really hear the difference in the BB and the ESS DAC's to the point of a "Wow" factor? If you use your 730 for movies, are you satisfied with its' performance or would more power be beneficial?

The reason I ask is due to the feedback I've gotten at local stores from knowledgeable individuals with the understanding that they are not going to sell me either model. Their conclusion is that I wouldn't be satisfied with the 830 but that opinion seems to be based on my owning the rxv1300. . .
Well, I haven't heard the 1030 with the ESS SABRE DAC's, so I really couldn't say you would be wowed by it, or if the noise floor is really low enough to hear a difference at all. I had Burr Brown 24/192 DAC's in a Denon 3910 universal player, and the Olive 4HD music server I have now. I can switch between the Olive Burr Brown DAC, and Benchmark w/ ESS SABRE DACs with gain matched. Subjectively speaking, it doesn't hit me immediately when I switch sources, but I notice a better sound with the Benchmark/ESS after extended listening to different kinds of music. More of the music sounds good, better balanced and natural than before, if that makes sense. Another way of putting it is the sound is more smooth without losing detail. Since I listen a lot, it is worth it in that 2 channel system.

I would recommend that you listen to both Yamaha units first, in the best environment you can find. The Burr Brown DACs are very good already. Sometimes people prefer their slightly brighter sound better, or they think the Burr Brown is more neutral, and the ESS SABRE a little dull.

The other factor that might make that 1030 sound better is the Symmetric amplifier circuit design. Supposedly a design that lowers even harmonic distortion, and improves channel separation. Nelson Pass of Pass Labs is famous for his "Super Symmetric" designs that has a great audiophile following. Did Yamaha really implement a Symmetrical design well, or is it marketing? You'd have to listen.

For movies, I'm pretty happy with the sound calibrated to flat. I like the way it sounds better than the Marantz (9055?) and my older Onkyo TX DS-777 receiver. I used to have Outlaw Audio separates that had better dynamics and slam. I miss those units, but they were ugly and took up too much space. I'd like to upgrade my subwoofer, but the Yamaha 730 will be around until some worthwhile new features, or better designed models become available.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the input. The 830's and 1030's are long gone in local stores but I'll find one that has the 840 and the 1040 and I imagine those units will suffice for a listening comparison. . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.

About zone B, I plain to have a TV and a pair of speakers on Zone B, and got a little confused about what I can do with it.

can I play ON zone 2 video sourcers like blue ray players, ps3, media Tanks? Can I play a diferent video source on zones A and B at the saem time?

I understand ir is not possible to play audio via hdmi on zone B? So I would have to use my pair of speakers while watching video on zone B tv?

Ty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firmware Version 1.60

Can anyone provide feedback on Firmware Version 1.60? I don't want to brick my baby.

This firmware includes
1. Improves connectivity of network music streaming services

Registered Date : 11/18/2014
Language : English
Size : 20.42 MB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone provide feedback on Firmware Version 1.60? I don't want to brick my baby.

This firmware includes
1. Improves connectivity of network music streaming services

Registered Date : 11/18/2014
Language : English
Size : 20.42 MB
Hi

For me on the A830 it was a good update - before it wouldn't allow me to sign into my Napster account, after the update it was all working fine. Spotify works very well too (although didn't try that before the update). Everything else working fine!

(Sorry it is my first post, was browsing and saw this and thought I could comment on it :) )

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just received my new RX-A830 yesterday (used the sweet $499 deal on Amazon + Amazon points). I'm coming from an Onkyo TX-NR709 which suffered the dreaded HDMI board failure (failed during the summer before Onkyo was offering to fix them and I had it repaired by a third party - which worked for about four months before it failed again).

Anyhow, I like the RX-A830 so far. I got it quickly set up last night and got firmware updated and working well with Spotify Connect. I was disappointed though to see no album art. I was under the impression that the Yamaha supported album art. Even my three year old Onkyo did that.

I'm also disappointed with the terrible remote control. Too many tiny buttons and poorly laid out. I'm sure I'll get used to it - but, geez, this is a poor remote control.

I like the sound, though I was perplexed trying to figure out how to get the two main speakers and the subwoofer to be on together. From a search on this forum, it appears I have to select that my front speakers are "small" for the subwoofer to work in stereo mode. Really?

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
^ Yes, for the Small speakers to get the sub working (it's a better choice than enabling Extra Bass with Large speakers).

As for the remote, the Yamaha App works well, as does the web browser interface for setup (add /setup after the IP address in your browser). Then you'll rarely need the original remote.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just received my new RX-A830 yesterday (used the sweet $499 deal on Amazon + Amazon points). I'm coming from an Onkyo TX-NR709 which suffered the dreaded HDMI board failure (failed during the summer before Onkyo was offering to fix them and I had it repaired by a third party - which worked for about four months before it failed again).

Anyhow, I like the RX-A830 so far. I got it quickly set up last night and got firmware updated and working well with Spotify Connect. I was disappointed though to see no album art. I was under the impression that the Yamaha supported album art. Even my three year old Onkyo did that.

I'm also disappointed with the terrible remote control. Too many tiny buttons and poorly laid out. I'm sure I'll get used to it - but, geez, this is a poor remote control.

I like the sound, though I was perplexed trying to figure out how to get the two main speakers and the subwoofer to be on together. From a search on this forum, it appears I have to select that my front speakers are "small" for the subwoofer to work in stereo mode. Really?
I agree with all of the shortcomings you pointed out. It seems as if I don't get album art with FLAC files, but I think I usually get it with MP3's. I haven't really sat down to go through a test to confirm that yet.

The remote buttons suck, because they're small and it's not backlit. I do have everything programmed into it, and it operates all of the sources, and the music controls even when playing on the music server. The mobile app is pretty good - better than the one that controlled the Marantz I replaced. When it comes to playing on the music server, I find that streaming FLAC from a mobile app is required, I believe since there are so many titles and songs to load into the receiver if navigating the catalog with the receiver and OnScreen interface. The mobile app loads and caches very quickly, and is able to serve up a flawless music data stream immediately. The receiver takes forever to load, and may possibly exceed the memory capacity. Consequently, when navigating music with the receiver there are frequent annoying interruptions while it attempts to load the catalog.

The subwoofer activation via "small" main speakers configuration is less of an issue for me, because I actually prefer my music that way, and my main speakers go down to the low 30K frequencies within 3 dB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a chance to try to get things better configured last night. The only real problem I'm having is that I can't get the remote to completely control my Directv receiver. I have the right code and all the other buttons work except the "Top Menu" button - which should bring up the Directv guide. That button is dead (won't light up the button-pressed light at the top of the remote when pressed) when I select that source and so I can't even program that function manually for that button.

The "Top Menu" button works fine on other sources, so I know there is nothing wrong with it.

I really hate to go back to an arsenal of remotes. The Onkyo remote wasn't the greatest - but now, after a couple days working with the Yamaha remote, I miss it badly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A830 makes a popping noise

I have had the A830 for about a year, bought it used last year. I have been noticing a popping noise. I thought it was coming from the ExpressVu satellite source, but it seems to occur from any source. It does seem to happen once and soon after powering on, or soon after un-muting. I am guessing that the unit warms up and that whatever component is activated makes the noise, but not sure.

Anyone else have that issue?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Is Yamaha not as popular as Onkyo and D&M? I am surprised this thread only has 8 pages. Official threads for Onkyo and D&M models have hundreds of pages.

Anyway, today I ordered the A830 from accessories4less. I got tired of the network issues with my Marantz 6008 and Denon E300, and it seems like Yamaha has less problems than D&M.
I hope I made the right decision. It should get here by Friday.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Hello all,

Just picked up an "open box" A830 from Best Buy for $399. After some gift cards and rewards I was out the door for $264. :D My Pioneer VSX-53 quit passing video and I need to get it to the service center before 4/15. In the meantime I was using my spare Onkyo 707 and was not happy with the sound it produced, kind of lifeless and no networking. How did we get by before wifi? ;) The A830 sounds fantastic for movies and music, as good or better than the Pioneer, and the control app is miles ahead of the Pio counterpart. This is a nice full sounding AVR.

PS - I guess I need to change my avatar. Done

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hi All!

I got my A830 in October, and it's working fine (mainly I use the music and the straight button on the remote :) ) with my Intel core i7 laptop (and a + nvidia 650m gpu is in it).
I have 1 problem: how can I wake up automatically the A830 from standby from the laptop??

So far, I have to manually switch on the receiver on the remote. (It's set to go to standby after 4 hours inactivity.) I used to use Winamp (with the help of clockamp) to "alarm" me in the morning. :)

Cheers

bguzman: it was a pretty good deal! I bought mine for 400 pounds (it was also an open box) ! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 1 problem: how can I wake up automatically the A830 from standby from the laptop??
You have to disable the ECO mode; that'll keep the network interface up while the unit is in standby. This should enable to you to wake it from the web interface, Spotify Connect or AirPlay.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You have to disable the ECO mode; that'll keep the network interface up while the unit is in standby. This should enable to you to wake it from the web interface, Spotify Connect or AirPlay.
Thanks, but these aren't an option for me, I want to "wake up" the device without any manual interaction.

But You and kriktsemaj99 (post about the web interface) gave me an idea, and it's working!!! :)
I have debugged the web interface in Chrome, and you can wake up the device with this command:
Code:
wget "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="On"
And you can put it to standby with this (I won't use this, it's here just for reference :) ) :
Code:
wget "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="Standby"
I have a TP-Link Archer C5 router with openwrt on it, I have assigned a fix IP to the A830, then I have put this 1 liner in the system cron script to wake up the A830 every weekday at 6:30 in the morning :) :
Code:
30 6 * * 1-5 wget "192.168.1.71/YamahaRemoteControl/ctrl" --quiet  --header="Content-Type:text/xml" --post-data="On"
Sidenote: it would be better if I can fire up this command, when my Windows laptop is powered on from standby (sleep) OR from shutdown (this is the easiest). If I can figure this bit out I'll post it.

Edit: You should put "http : //" before every IP address , the system didn't allow me to post it since I'm under 5 posts :(

PS: and thank You all in this great community!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sidenote: it would be better if I can fire up this command, when my Windows laptop is powered on from standby (sleep) OR from shutdown (this is the easiest). If I can figure this bit out I'll post it.
Have a look at EventGhost; I've used that to automate my media center in the past. One of the things I did was send IR commands to my Z-5500 to toggle on and off when the computer resumed or went to standby, so this is definitely possible. There may even be a plugin available for Yamaha receivers so you don't even have to roll your own http calls.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pandora Streaming Issues

anybody experiencing Pandora streaming issues on aventage? cant seem to get it to work via receiver. starts for a few seconds then discontinues and never resumes. running on latest firmware and 50 mbps download internet.

221 - 240 of 374 Posts