AVS Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 4485 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,842
I just tried multiple times to do the new update with zero luck. I tried the USB, and Network updates, and both error out. The Network one errors out after a while with a not found error. I can't remember what the USB error was, but both of them ran for a while before erroring out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just tried multiple times to do the new update with zero luck. I tried the USB, and Network updates, and both error out. The Network one errors out after a while with a not found error. I can't remember what the USB error was, but both of them ran for a while before erroring out.
I network updated this morning with no problems (hard wired). Thank goodness. In the past with Denon AVR's I'd have problems doing firmware updates via wifi. Always had to plug it in. Also with Denon at times I'd have to factory reset then update. I'd always do that as a last resort. Just some thoughts as I read your post. Hope you can get a successful update.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,845
I network updated this morning with no problems (hard wired). Thank goodness. In the past with Denon AVR's I'd have problems doing firmware updates via wifi. Always had to plug it in. Also with Denon at times I'd have to factory reset then update. I'd always do that as a last resort. Just some thoughts as I read your post. Hope you can get a successful update.
My Network updates were via wired too. I will give it a rest, and try later today or tomorrow. If I continue to have no success I will call Yamaha to see what they think. I will post up what happens.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a 5.2.4 setup. As best I can tell in my home theater, Dolby Surround (vs. DSP modes like Adventure) makes the best use of the presence speakers (excepting ATMOS and DTS:X). I'm unsophisticated, so "best" means more sound from the presence speakers, more of a 3D effect. Appreciate your thoughts and observations - which DSP modes do you like? Sorry if this is a flogged horse.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I have a 5.2.4 setup. As best I can tell in my home theater, Dolby Surround (vs. DSP modes like Adventure) makes the best use of the presence speakers (excepting ATMOS and DTS:X). I'm unsophisticated, so "best" means more sound from the presence speakers, more of a 3D effect. Appreciate your thoughts and observations - which DSP modes do you like? Sorry if this is a flogged horse.
As a long time Yamaha DSP fan (started in mid-late '90s with DSP-100) I've been using various Yamaha DSP modes for about 20 years now. Prior to the introduction of Dolby Surround (DSU) I usually used Sci-Fi, Adventure, or one of the jazz club modes. However, I've become quite fond of Dolby Surround since getting it and mostly use it now. BTW, my system is a 7.2.4 setup.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I downloaded the update to my PC and then used the web interface to process the update. Worked fine the first time. Much prefer this method to the others.
My Network updates were via wired too. I will give it a rest, and try later today or tomorrow. If I continue to have no success I will call Yamaha to see what they think. I will post up what happens.
It's up on the Australian Yamaha site as well. I downloaded to a USB stick and updated without issue. Nice to have sub 30Hz manual EQ adjustment now. It is starting to make my 8 year old Velodyne SMS-1 redundant!

Regards,
Stephen

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Update took about 20 minutes. Noticed that it knocked out all my manual speaker settings. Had to reset my configuration.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep all refurbished that's why I'm fixing this one not exchanging took a pic of serial number lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's up on the Australian Yamaha site as well. I downloaded to a USB stick and updated without issue. Nice to have sub 30Hz manual EQ adjustment now. It is starting to make my 8 year old Velodyne SMS-1 redundant!

Regards,
Stephen
Thanks Stephen for that news. Will give it a try. Worried about using the US site.:)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,855
I ran the update several times again before i got it to work. I did find out that it didn't like the USB 3 stick I had nor did it like one of my other USB sticks. So if it doesn't work for you via USB...try different USB sticks.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Happy New Year Ron! ...And to your wife.

I'll catch up later with the latest on the Yamaha side ... and much much more ...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Curious if anyone who upgraded from the a5000 to the a5100 noticed much difference besides atmos -- particularly whether or not the new volume control affected sound quality at all.

And this may be a dumb question, but for those who went to the trouble of an 11.1 system with the a5000, how much more 'immersive' is it with 7.1.4?

I do have my heights currently set in each upper corner so I get a nice phantom center above the seating position which I really enjoy with a fairly involved sound bubble, but things can always be better! :D

I currently have the a5000 and just did the 11.1 upgrade from 5.1 over the holidays and now hear what I had been missing haha!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Curious if anyone who upgraded from the a5000 to the a5100 noticed much difference besides atmos -- particularly whether or not the new volume control affected sound quality at all.

And this may be a dumb question, but for those who went to the trouble of an 11.1 system with the a5000, how much more 'immersive' is it with 7.1.4?

I do have my heights currently set in each upper corner so I get a nice phantom center above the seating position which I really enjoy with a fairly involved sound bubble, but things can always be better! :D

I currently have the a5000 and just did the 11.1 upgrade from 5.1 over the holidays and now hear what I had been missing haha!

Quoting myself here......

I recently upgraded from the CX-A5000 to the CX-A5100 to check out Atmos/DTS:X in my less than ideal speaker locations. I have no bed layer other than my LCR, and use the Yamaha presences locations for my over heads. The 5000 was a huge upgrade to the Integra processor I had before, and quickly began to love the Yamaha DSP modes. Being able to use the Yamaha app to adjust the the DSP modes on the fly for each movie if need be is ideal in my room. I always adjust lower than the Yamaha presets.
Now with the 5100, Neural:X has become my only DSP mode, other than Atmos/DTS:X movies, no adjustment needed, It just sounds right. And with Atmos/DTS:X movies I can defiantly hear over head sounds coming from over head. The front works well, I have my side surrounds at the biggest angle down, and my rear presences firing straight out at ceiling level, not the best, but it seems to work. The ability to add DSP modes to the Atmos/DTS:X track in a very small amount helps too. My room is very large and lacks walls, you can see it in my signature below for an idea of what I'm dealing with.
After selling the 5000 the money spent on the 5100 is well spent and a good upgrade. Not as huge of an upgrade as the 5000 was over the Interga(that I couldn't sell) But a good upgrade!
Just thought I should share my thoughts on the CX-A5100 for those with less than ideal rooms

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts

I upgraded from a 11.2 5000 setup to a 7.2.4 5100 setup. I didn't notice a big difference between the two units, but I didn't move my presence speakers (still situated as heights). What I have noticed is a great fondness for the DSU (Dolby Surround) DSP mode. I pretty much use it for everything excepting Atmos and DTS:X tracks now. Also, since I have 6 other systems in the house with Yamaha AVRs (xx50 series), I find that I quite often use MusicCast to route the audio from one of my systems to a number of the others. :)

Reactions: zizikos

·
Registered
439 Posts
I upgraded from a 11.2 5000 setup to a 7.2.4 5100 setup. I didn't notice a big difference between the two units, but I didn't move my presence speakers (still situated as heights). What I have noticed is a great fondness for the DSU (Dolby Surround) DSP mode. I pretty much use it for everything excepting Atmos and DTS:X tracks now. Also, since I have 6 other systems in the house with Yamaha AVRs (xx50 series), I find that I quite often use MusicCast to route the audio from one of my systems to a number of the others. :)
I would probably end up keeping my presence speakers as heights too since my ceilings are kind of weird and hanging anything off them might be impossible, but yeah that DSU sounds really cool as well as the brand new DSP mode I have been reading about.

Thank you!

2841 - 2860 of 4485 Posts