AVS Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 4485 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey just wanted to introduce myself as a new CX-A5100 owner. I have long dreamed of the luxury of having a preamp and separate amp so am excited to be here. I'm building my system slowly and am just running 2 channel at the moment. I had time this week to get everything hooked up, stream something off my Mac, and hit 'pure direct.' Was awesome! Today I took the time to update the firmware and start learning the intimidating feature set.

I am feeling the need for a music server right away as I'd like to stream Tidal. I have found some complicated methods to get it to work, but I may have to just get a Mac Mini since I've found that that is the easiest way to stream audio/video. Any other suggestions welcome, and happy listening!

Dan

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,862
Hey just wanted to introduce myself as a new CX-A5100 owner. I have long dreamed of the luxury of having a preamp and separate amp so am excited to be here. I'm building my system slowly and am just running 2 channel at the moment. I had time this week to get everything hooked up, stream something off my Mac, and hit 'pure direct.' Was awesome! Today I took the time to update the firmware and start learning the intimidating feature set.

I am feeling the need for a music server right away as I'd like to stream Tidal. I have found some complicated methods to get it to work, but I may have to just get a Mac Mini since I've found that that is the easiest way to stream audio/video. Any other suggestions welcome, and happy listening!

Dan
Welcome to the Owners club Dan... I have added you to the list of owners. I wish I could help you on a Media player, but I use mainly Plex, and do not stream from Tidal. I only stream from Amazon, and Youtube, or my UnRaid NAS currently.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
You can get a Chromecast to cast tidal to your 5100. I use an ultra but the regular one works just fine. Can't go wrong with the price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to the Owners club Dan... I have added you to the list of owners. I wish I could help you on a Media player, but I use mainly Plex, and do not stream from Tidal. I only stream from Amazon, and Youtube, or my UnRaid NAS currently.
Thanks! And Dwaleke I'll check out the Chromecast. Looks like Tidal just started offering MQA tracks via their service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Introduce myself

Hi
I found this thread by google for info about the features of latest firmware 2.04 . Excellent that you provide such information, thank a lot.

I like to introduce myself as a new CX-A5100 owner. I run my sound with active speakers and the support for XLR was my by the main point when I was looking for an AV. Now I'm very happy with the CX-A5100.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have noticed one thing but I am not sure if it hs to do With the updated firmware. Previously when I switched on my TV the 5100 instantly switched on as well. This sometimes caused HDCP-issues when tha TV was set to a Source other than TV where I use a CAM. The TV would say MODE NOT SUPPORTED. Since the update the AVP doesn't turn on until the TV is done booting.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Might be one of those "other operational improvements" in the new firmware :) Since I use a projector with my 5100 I can't confirm any changes in the startup relationship between display and avr. I can confirm that there seems to be more activity in the Presence speakers from the new Enhanced dsp program. Also noticed it uses the neo:6 decoder vs the other movie modes which use dolby PL2X. I have no idea if the change in decoder is responsible for the increased activity up there but it is always nice to have another choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys.

I just upgraded my CX-A5100 with the latest firmware 2.04. I noticed a deficiency which was introduced with this firmware version and just wanted to confirm with other owners that indeed this is so. I have a 7.2.0 setup (ie: the standard 7 channels (L, C, R, SL, SR, SBL, SBR) plus two sub-woofers).

With this firmware when I select from the menu the "information" tab and then "Audio Signal", the information shown as input is correct. The output indeed shows 7.2.0 but the graphic layout presentation of the output channels now shows only a 5.2 setup missing the surround back channels. See attached photo. In actual fact, the audio signals are properly emanating from my surround back speakers and so it appears to be just a display problem. I tried this with 5.1 as well as 7.1 source material with the same results.

Can I have your opinions please. Thank you
Barry

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firmware update/Error: 02000

I tried to update the firmware for my CX-A5100 two days ago and I can't get it to finish. I've tried with USB install, Network install from the receiver, and using the website management option. The first time I tried the update it was on wifi, but it's hardwired now and still won't work. If I hold the "Straight" button while plugging in the power, it seems I can get it to turn on with limited functionality, but it says "Version Error" and won't output any video. Sound works though.

It seems one other person has had issues with this firmware, but I was wondering if anyone has found a solution.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have no such issues with this firmware. My 5100 shows the number of channels inpu on all source variations from 2.0 to 7.1.4 except atoms witch shows ---. I guess that's because Dolby dont use the term channels with atmos.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,871
Hi guys.

I just upgraded my CX-A5100 with the latest firmware 2.04. I noticed a deficiency which was introduced with this firmware version and just wanted to confirm with other owners that indeed this is so. I have a 7.2.0 setup (ie: the standard 7 channels (L, C, R, SL, SR, SBL, SBR) plus two sub-woofers).

With this firmware when I select from the menu the "information" tab and then "Audio Signal", the information shown as input is correct. The output indeed shows 7.2.0 but the graphic layout presentation of the output channels now shows only a 5.2 setup missing the surround back channels. See attached photo. In actual fact, the audio signals are properly emanating from my surround back speakers and so it appears to be just a display problem. I tried this with 5.1 as well as 7.1 source material with the same results.

Barry
I am listening to a stereo music video right now with Enhanced selected, and mine shows 7.1.4 just like it should be in my setup(this is with the latest firmware).

·
Registered
544 Posts
... Also noticed it uses the neo:6 decoder vs the other movie modes which use dolby PL2X. I have no idea if the change in decoder is responsible for the increased activity up there but it is always nice to have another choice.
I noticed that it's possible to switch from Neo:6 to Dolby PL2X in the DSP settings for Enhanced. Haven't tested the difference, though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I tried to update the firmware for my CX-A5100 two days ago and I can't get it to finish. I've tried with USB install, Network install from the receiver, and using the website management option. The first time I tried the update it was on wifi, but it's hardwired now and still won't work. If I hold the "Straight" button while plugging in the power, it seems I can get it to turn on with limited functionality, but it says "Version Error" and won't output any video. Sound works though.

It seems one other person has had issues with this firmware, but I was wondering if anyone has found a solution.
For me it took about 15 mins from a USB. You need to use the programme button on the unit to start the upgrade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am listening to a stereo music video right now with Enhanced selected, and mine shows 7.1.4 just like it should be in my setup(this is with the latest firmware).
My "output" shows the correct number ie: 7.2.0 in my case (7.1.4 in your case) but just below that, the graphic presentation, does it show your full complement of channels?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have no such issues with this firmware. My 5100 shows the number of channels inpu on all source variations from 2.0 to 7.1.4 except atoms witch shows ---. I guess that's because Dolby dont use the term channels with atmos.
...But in the Output section which is below the input section information, the graphic presentation, does it show your full complement of output channels?

My "output" shows the correct number ie: 7.2.0 in my case but the graphic only shows SW1, SW2, L, C, R, SL, and SR but no SBL nor SBR.

Thanks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi guys.

Barry
Having a similar problem as I have a 7.1.4 system and under the information audio output page, I only have a 7.1 configuration. The ceiling atmos channels are not indicated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having a similar problem as I have a 7.1.4 system and under the information audio output page, I only have a 7.1 configuration. The ceiling atmos channels are not indicated.
Thank you. Something is going with this latest 2.04... earlier I sent an email to Yamaha via their support web site to inquire about this. We'll see what they come back with though I am not sure how responsive they are.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,878
My "output" shows the correct number ie: 7.2.0 in my case (7.1.4 in your case) but just below that, the graphic presentation, does it show your full complement of channels?
It shows 7 plus 1 sub...no Atmos channels are showing even though it shows ".4".

·
Registered
544 Posts
It shows 7 plus 1 sub...no Atmos channels are showing even though it shows ".4".
I have a 5.2.4 setup - numbers are correct in the Information screen, but my rear presence speakers aren't shown in the diagram (5.2.2). The rear presence speakers are, however, included on the front panel LED.

2861 - 2880 of 4485 Posts