AVS Forum banner

2881 - 2900 of 4485 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just updated my CXA5100 to version 2.04.
It took 16 minutes (hard wired to my router) - no dramas there.
I've tried adding surround left / surround right and it shows up on the receivers display as well as under the 'Manual setup' screen.
However, it's not showing it on the 'output' section of the 'information' menu.

A very small bug, something I'm rather happy to see considering:
1: I don't have surround rears.
2: I would much prefer the 15.6 PEQ capability.

·
Registered
824 Posts
...But in the Output section which is below the input section information, the graphic presentation, does it show your full complement of output channels?

My "output" shows the correct number ie: 7.2.0 in my case but the graphic only shows SW1, SW2, L, C, R, SL, and SR but no SBL nor SBR.

Thanks.

You're right. Except on my 5100 the graphics doesn't show rear presence.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have been an owner for a few months but would appreciate adding me to owners list on this thread. Also, own 5000 amp.

I saw that someone posted on the firmware upgrade that they lost their user settings. Can someone verify that and short of reentering everything is there a fix? Thx!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have been an owner for a few months but would appreciate adding me to owners list on this thread. Also, own 5000 amp.

I saw that someone posted on the firmware upgrade that they lost their user settings. Can someone verify that and short of reentering everything is there a fix? Thx!
Use the web interface to backup your settings prior to the firmware upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am feeling the need for a music server right away as I'd like to stream Tidal. I have found some complicated methods to get it to work, but I may have to just get a Mac Mini since I've found that that is the easiest way to stream audio/video. Any other suggestions welcome, and happy listening!

Dan
Welcome!

IMO there are plenty of other small computers that should work without having to pay the Apple premium (unless you want to). :)

What about getting a NAS? e.g. Synology will give you streaming and of course you get all the backup apps and more secure storage etc. too.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thank you. Something is going with this latest 2.04... earlier I sent an email to Yamaha via their support web site to inquire about this. We'll see what they come back with though I am not sure how responsive they are.
Please let us know what they say about this.

I have a 5.2.4 setup - numbers are correct in the Information screen, but my rear presence speakers aren't shown in the diagram (5.2.2). The rear presence speakers are, however, included on the front panel LED.
You're right. Except on my 5100 the graphics doesn't show rear presence.
I have a 7.1.4 setup and also notice that the Information page doesn't correctly display the rear presence or even the rear surrounds but the front panel display does display those pairs as active on the output side and I do hear sound from them. Input signal was 5.1 from cable box. I see the output Information screen error with both the new Enhanced movie mode and my regular SciFi and Adventure modes. Sorry I didn't have time to check other dsp programs or test with a 7.1 or atmos input signal.

·
Bass Enabler
21,535 Posts
Also noticed it uses the neo:6 decoder vs the other movie modes which use dolby PL2X.
Eww.

I have no idea if the change in decoder is responsible for the increased activity up there but it is always nice to have another choice.
Possibly as I believe Neo:6 has multi-specrtum steering (can steer independently highs, lows, etc) instead of PL2x which isn't (steers full bandwidth) and this could have been a feature of the new Enhanced DSP. Hard to say without talking to the software engineers who made the DSP program.

That being said, we have always had the choices between either PL2x and Neo:6 for use with the CinemaDSP programs. So it's not new to have "the choice".

·
Registered
406 Posts
Having a choice would be new for me. Every time I have ever clicked on the decoder line as listed under the dsp program detail screen I always get a not applicable message and the decoder name is grayed out. I just assumed the grayed out decoder was the base Yamaha chose for that particular dsp program and didn't want end users changing that parameter. If there is a way to change this I'd sure like to know.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I noticed that it's possible to switch from Neo:6 to Dolby PL2X in the DSP settings for Enhanced. Haven't tested the difference, though.
That being said, we have always had the choices between either PL2x and Neo:6 for use with the CinemaDSP programs. So it's not new to have "the choice".

Just to be clear I understand there are choices of which decoder to use when using the Surround Decoder button located behind the flip door of the remote. But the choice made with that button doesn't change what shows up when viewing the settings under the various Yamaha proprietary CinemaDSP programs such as Adventure or SciFi. At least not for me. Aside from the new Enhanced program which shows Neo:6 cinema all the other movie ones list PL2X and have this line grayed out. FWIW my surround decoder is set to Dolby Surround.

Are you guys saying you can change the decoder for these CinemaDSP programs? If so please share this information.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Are you guys saying you can change the decoder for these CinemaDSP programs? If so please share this information.
Yes, on my system, I can change the decoder for Movie Standard, Spectacle, Sci Fi, Adventure, Drama, and Enhanced. On the web Setup page (e.g., http://192.168.1.166/setup), click the Surround button and then expand Sound_Program_Param. There's also a Sound_Program_Param_for_HP section - any idea what "HP" is?

By the way, I could have sworn I was able to make these changes using the on-screen menu, but I can't reproduce that.

Please share your preferences, if any, among the available decoders for Enhanced.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have never used the web interface and didn't think about that. Thank you for the pic and explanation. I wonder why Yamaha prohibits this adjustment through the standard video overlay.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
looking for a little help/advice....

i want to play music through the speakers and at the same time play audio for movies through wireless headphones... in the past, with my last receiver, i accomplished this by connecting the wireless headphone transmitter to the receiver's zone 2 audio outputs, worked like a charm, i'm assuming i can do the same with the cx-a5100? what about bluetooth, which my past receiver didn't have, can i set up the same sort of configuration (zone 2 wireless headphones) using the cx-a5100's bluetooth features, i.e. using bluetooth headphones? thank you very much.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the page pics Scott but I have never been able to change the decoder thru the GUI for the movie CinemaDSP's. Not on my 3060 or 5000 or this 5100. That is why I asked.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just connected through the web interface and am glad to report I am able to change things there. However going back to the GUI I still cannot change the decoder type for any of the movie programs. Anybody have an idea why? Has everybody always been able to change decoder choice via the remote control/ standard video overlay Gui for these movie programs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old version of firmware

Since I can't seem to get the 2.04 firmware installed or my 5100 working again, I was wondering if anyone here had an older version of the firmware that I could try flashing to. I would be super greatful!

2881 - 2900 of 4485 Posts