AVS Forum banner

4441 - 4460 of 4485 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
I’m experiencing an issue with Dolby Atmos from my Apple TV’s. Intermittently, it sounds like the audio changes from straight Dolby Atmos to multi-channel stereo. Like if someone is speaking, it comes from all channels instead of just the center channel, when the dialogue should very obviously only come from the center (and sometimes switches back and forth in the same scene/sentence).

This happens with both of my ATV4k’s. One of them is connected to a CX-A5100 and the other is connected to a RX-A1080.

At first I thought this might be a signal processing issue with the Yamaha’s, but now my best theory is that this is a network bandwidth issue. However, I have a very good WiFi signal and 300Mb internet service.

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I have not had this issue with my Yamaha MX-A5000 amplifier and Oppo 203 source connected to my CX-A5100.

Which amplifier are you using and which interconnects? It’s just a casual hypothesis, but maybe there is some kind of ground issue?

When there is a pause (with HDMI source), I’m pretty sure there’s an internal mute of the audio signal in the CX-A5100 (this is an HDMI decode function). Perhaps when this is engaged/disengaged there is a discharge when the audio circuits are “reconnected”. Of course it could just be failing hardware too...although I don’t really know what kind of failure mode would cause that.
I am using a Outlaw Audio 7700 and 7140(for Atmos). It is not the Amp or interconnects. But thanks for the idea. It's definitely the 5100. Switched out the 5100 with a Anthem AVM60 and no more popping.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I’m experiencing an issue with Dolby Atmos from my Apple TV’s. Intermittently, it sounds like the audio changes from straight Dolby Atmos to multi-channel stereo. Like if someone is speaking, it comes from all channels instead of just the center channel, when the dialogue should very obviously only come from the center (and sometimes switches back and forth in the same scene/sentence).

This happens with both of my ATV4k’s. One of them is connected to a CX-A5100 and the other is connected to a RX-A1080.

At first I thought this might be a signal processing issue with the Yamaha’s, but now my best theory is that this is a network bandwidth issue. However, I have a very good WiFi signal and 300Mb internet service.

Anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, I get this occasionally with Netflix and Apple TV+ Dolby Atmos on the Apple TV 4K. I think the metadata within the Dolby MAT 2.0 container gets muddled and the Yamaha's Atmos decoder doesn't know where to steer the signals. To me it sounds like a bad logic steering error from the old ProLogic days. Then the sound snaps back to where it should be.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am using a Outlaw Audio 7700 and 7140(for Atmos). It is not the Amp or interconnects. But thanks for the idea. It's definitely the 5100. Switched out the 5100 with a Anthem AVM60 and no more popping.
I’m not saying it’s your amp or interconnects, but possibly the way the 5100 and them interact. If you’re using XLR interconnects, there could be an implementation difference.

What did you do with the 5100?

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I still have it right here.

You could be right. Others are having the same issue. So it would be interesting to see if we have similar gear.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I’m not saying it’s your amp or interconnects, but possibly the way the 5100 and them interact. If you’re using XLR interconnects, there could be an implementation difference.

What did you do with the 5100?
Just as some additional information regarding my experiences. I have a Outlaw Audio 7900 and 7700 (powers presence channels) and have over the years had a CX-A5000, CX-A5100, and now a CX-A5200 and never had any popping with any of these. So it sounds like you may have a problem either with your 5100 or something in your environment.

Reactions: wilfredent

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I've noticed before we have common systems. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the last firmware update. I re-flashed it, but that did not fix it.

I put a Anthem AVM60 and a Marantz 7703 in its place and did not get the popping noises. It's definitely the 5100. I might try resetting it and seeing if that helps.

I was trying to avoid replacing anything till the next round of updates. Other than that occasional pop it works perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Greetings to all, a few days ago I have this preamplifier that I use in a normal 5.1 system combined with a Rotel RMB-95 power amplifier, I wanted to ask you if it is normal for Dolby Digital tracks to feel stronger than DTS-HD MA tracks , if in fact I put on the screen the information of what I am playing on the dolby digital tracks the dialogue level is almost always at +2, +3 or +4, in rare cases it is zero, is it normal or I have activated something in the Yamaha that do you raise the level of dialogue in Dolby Digital? Obviously I state that the dialogue level settings are zero, I have not raised anything.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Greetings to all, a few days ago I have this preamplifier that I use in a normal 5.1 system combined with a Rotel RMB-95 power amplifier, I wanted to ask you if it is normal for Dolby Digital tracks to feel stronger than DTS-HD MA tracks , if in fact I put on the screen the information of what I am playing on the dolby digital tracks the dialogue level is almost always at +2, +3 or +4, in rare cases it is zero, is it normal or I have activated something in the Yamaha that do you raise the level of dialogue in Dolby Digital? Obviously I state that the dialogue level settings are zero, I have not raised anything.
Thank you
I find that levels vary with the codec involved as well as source. You can adjust your levels based on input source but not based on codec. I often wind up adjusting the volume setting of my systems with different sources/material.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I apologize for two other questions, I have set the pre so that it does the passtrought in stand-by and it works, if I want to change the input always keeping the pre in stand-by is it possible?
Yesterday I made a YPAO configuration with two positions and the measurements of the heights, he put all the speakers on large, if I go in the manual settings to change the parameters, such as putting the surround in small and cutting them at 80hz then I lose all the detections that Did YPAO do or continue to work the same?
Thank you

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi All,
I've just replaced the two Rotel amps I was using ( 120w x 5 channel and 130w x 2 channel powering left, centre, right, surrounds and surround backs) on my CX-A5100 with the Yamaha MX-A5200 amp. So far I've been very happy with the improvements. I have the MX-A5200 connected to the CX-A5100 with XLR balanced cables.

Placing you ear near a speaker when no sound is playing is dead silent. The level of detail and highs sound improved over the Rotels. For two channel music, it sounds more "musical" (probably due to a bit of extra warmth compared to the Rotel's which are quite clinical sounding) Also imaging seems more anchored between the two speakers. Don't get me wrong, you can't compare it to a dedicated two channel stereo amp like the Yamaha AS1100, but still not bad.

Driving my Martin Logan Motion 60 & 50 speakers is quite effortless (though they are quite efficient speakers at 94db). Movie tracks has that weight and gravity you would expect from a setup like this. If I had to list some negatives, it would be the size and weight of the amp. At over 46cm deep and 26kg's its not small! But it is built like a tank. There is also a tonne of switches on the back of the amp due to the multiple configurations you can set the amp up in. This does add to the level of complexity configuring it.

Regards,
Stephen

·
Semi-Advanced Member
562 Posts
Thank you
I'm probably the last guy who should be answering technical questions, but I'm not aware of any settings that would make dialogue levels different between Dolby Digital and DTS-HD MA tracks. The differences would seem most likely to be from the source media.

I apologize for two other questions, I have set the pre so that it does the passtrought in stand-by and it works, if I want to change the input always keeping the pre in stand-by is it possible?
If the pre is in standby it is essentially off, so it would seem unlikely that you could change the passive input while it is in standby.

Yesterday I made a YPAO configuration with two positions and the measurements of the heights, he put all the speakers on large, if I go in the manual settings to change the parameters, such as putting the surround in small and cutting them at 80hz then I lose all the detections that Did YPAO do or continue to work the same?
Thank you
That's how we all do it. It's the only way to do it as far as I know - and sounds great!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guys, my 2nd post, which is a question of course…

Given a 5.1 source and "Pure Direct" mode, can I direct the CX-A5200 to upmix from 5.1 to to 5.1.4 or 7.1.4?

(Apologies if it has been answered: this thread is too long to thoroughly read).

Background:
* My sound source is Netflix (5.1), generated off a Sony G8000X TV, which is fitted with ARC, not supporting Atmos (I’m in Thailand, where there's no 43” with eARC).

* The TV signal will be transmitted over HDMI to the 5200 (ARC ARC).

* I plan on expanding 2.2 active Genelc monitors and subs to 5.2.4. The 5200 will feed the relevant channels into one sub, which will bass-manage the signals and then pass the processed signal to the other monitors and sub (high/low filters). The heights won’t be bass-managed for lack of I/O on the sub (it supports up 7.1 and daisy chaining with other subs).

* The 5200 will be set to Pure Direct mode, and the system calibrated with the Genelec software/adapter (GLM 3.0).

Is upmixing 5.1 to 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 possible?
If so, will it offer a pleasant experience? Or should I stay with 5.1 until I can source a TV with eARC?

Thanks for any input or insight.
The answer is no. In Pure Direct, only the incoming 5.1 will pass through as 5.1.

But what you can do is leave all the Yamaha YPAO Off and EQ in the FLAT positions, and engage Dolby Surround or Neural:X to UpMix to 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.

Seeing as you're using the Genelec to do the bass management, leave all speakers on the Yamaha in LARGE mode. Then the Genelec will direct bass as necessary to the sub.
All of the other surround modes will take a 5.1 signal and produce a 7.1.4 surround mode as well. I used to use the Neural:X and Dolby Surround when listening to a DD 5.1 mix, but prefer the use of the other surround modes. Neural X and Dolby Surround sound flat as hell to me

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just as some additional information regarding my experiences. I have a Outlaw Audio 7900 and 7700 (powers presence channels) and have over the years had a CX-A5000, CX-A5100, and now a CX-A5200 and never had any popping with any of these. So it sounds like you may have a problem either with your 5100 or something in your environment.
What are the sound differences between the amps, could you do a comparison review?

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
What are the sound differences between the amps, could you do a comparison review?
It's been going on two years now since I replaced my 5100 with a 5200. I can't recall noticing any basic sound difference, but that was quite awhile ago. I moved to the 5200 due mainly to the addition of Surround:AI which I enjoy when watching video as it, if nothing else, helps me understand the dialog (I use DSU for music) and because I prefer the new UI with the newer models. I find it easier to navigate and certainly faster to get to where I need to be. Also the text description of the items/selections it pretty helpful.

Reactions: NBPk402

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quick sub question

In stereo mode, my subs are at a very low level (like 1 out of 10, barely moving), but sound fine in surround mode. Is there a separate level adjustment for sub in stereo and/or pure direct modes, and if so where is it? Thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's been going on two years now since I replaced my 5100 with a 5200. I can't recall noticing any basic sound difference, but that was quite awhile ago. I moved to the 5200 due mainly to the addition of Surround:AI which I enjoy when watching video as it, if nothing else, helps me understand the dialog (I use DSU for music) and because I prefer the new UI with the newer models. I find it easier to navigate and certainly faster to get to where I need to be. Also the text description of the items/selections it pretty helpful.
Sorry, I meant the Audio Outlaw 7900

·
Registered
277 Posts
In stereo mode, my subs are at a very low level (like 1 out of 10, barely moving), but sound fine in surround mode. Is there a separate level adjustment for sub in stereo and/or pure direct modes, and if so where is it? Thanks.
A lot will depend on what you are listening to. Wild guess here, but you might be spoiled by the LFE from movies.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Sorry, I meant the Audio Outlaw 7900
Wow! That's been even longer. I believe that I got my 7900 about 15 years or so ago. Originally paired it with a RX-Z11, then a CX-A5000, then a CX-5100 and now with CX-A5200. All I remember for sure was that going from the Z11 to the 5000 was a significant improvement.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ultra Low Jitter PLL Mode and DAC-mode
I know this has been mentioned before, but wanted to see if there are new experiences here.

Have you tried the various levels for jitter reduction? How do you perceive the differences? Any material where you find it more noticable than others?

The same question for the DAC mode (slow, fast, short). This is where (i believe) I can hear a difference. Slow is more "soft" compared to the two others.

I am planning to see if I can measure a difference in impulse response and frequency response but I have not done it yet.

4441 - 4460 of 4485 Posts