AVS Forum banner

1241 - 1260 of 3502 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have the 2040 running to the new LG 65UB9500 and it would seem that the Yamaha doesn't pass through 4k? Now on the other hand if I select it to do processing I can confirm that my panel is seeing the 4k. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
22,234 Posts
I have the 2040 running to the new LG 65UB9500 and it would seem that the Yamaha doesn't pass through 4k? Now on the other hand if I select it to do processing I can confirm that my panel is seeing the 4k. Has anyone else noticed this?
Have you updated the firmware on the 2040? I think that's needed in order to pass some color space types at 4K.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I did..... I have the 1.66 that released on 12/25. My LG has a 2.2 port however I am connected to its port 3 that supports all this and yet until I put it to processing and and select Auto or specifically 4K I don't see it. Port 3 on the LG supports all this (see below)and yet I still get the miss match warning. I also don't see the pass through from my Oppo 103D to the panel.

[email protected] 60Hz Support Format
Resolution
Frame
rate
(Hz)
Color Depth / Chroma Sampling
8 bit 10 bit 12 bit

Supported at HDMI3 Port only

·
Registered
6 Posts
Best Buy discounted the RX-A2040 to $1299. I was waffling over getting a lesser model and saw the in store price and jumped on it. On their web site it shows the $1599 MSRP.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone managed to successfully hook up a 2560x1440 Single DVI monitor to the receiver's HDMI out port? I want to use the A1040 for my PC HT and want to be able to access the receiver's OSD without the need for a separate 1080p HDMI TV or HDMI monitor.

Help and clarification would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
^
I believe you need to pass a standard tv resolution through the 1040 otherwise it will not be able to display it on the monitor. I use a Dell 1920x1200 monitor in my study with a Yamaha 2040 connected to it. If I try and pass a 1920x1200 signal through the Yamaha from the PC to the monitor it will not display an image. However 1920x1080 (1080p) will work fine and the Yamaha OSD will work.

I'm my case I run a display port cable from the PC to the monitor. I also run hdmi from the PC to the Yamaha for audio, then hdmi from the Yamaha to the monitor. If I want to view the Yamaha OSD I switch the monitor to its hdmi input.

Regards,
Stephen

Reactions: ericc191

·
Registered
22,234 Posts
I did..... I have the 1.66 that released on 12/25. My LG has a 2.2 port however I am connected to its port 3 that supports all this and yet until I put it to processing and and select Auto or specifically 4K I don't see it. Port 3 on the LG supports all this (see below)and yet I still get the miss match warning. I also don't see the pass through from my Oppo 103D to the panel.

[email protected] 60Hz Support Format
Resolution
Frame
rate
(Hz)
Color Depth / Chroma Sampling
8 bit 10 bit 12 bit

Supported at HDMI3 Port only
I'll guess that this might be a color space issue, and you'll need to leave processing on in the AVR to send the TV what it can receive. Check with Oppo support to see what its putting out at 4K.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Is it worth upgrading my RX-A820 to a 3040 / 2040 / 1040 ??

I currently have an 820 running my system. My main front speakers are the classic B&W 802 Matrix speakers. I use four channels on the 820 to drive the bass and treble parts of those main speakers. And then I have smaller B&W centre and rear speakers that use another three channels. So I am using 7.1 channels to power my 5.1 system.

I like the current system. And I am wondering if upgrading to a 3040 / 2040 / 1040 would bring noticeable improvements. What do you think?

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
^ If you like what you have now and don't need new features like Atmos immediately, I would wait. As people are finding out, just about all current devices (players, receivers and TVs) that claim to support 4K video actually have some kind of limitation. Give it another year and maybe the new models will play nicer with each other.

·
Registered
180 Posts
[rx-v2040]
Does anyone knows if there is a sound decoder (surround) that will output from ALL connected speakers:
FL
FR
Center
SR
SL
SBR
SBL
Presence Front Left
Presence Front Right
Presence Back Left
Presence Back Right
Sub L
Sub R

if putting "straight" it (obviously) disable the Presence speakers.
If putting "Surround" Decoder it enabled all 4 Presence speakers but cancel out SBL+SBR

is there a specific SDP or program to enable out of ALL 13 speakers?

·
Registered
14,849 Posts
[rx-v2040]
Does anyone knows if there is a sound decoder (surround) that will output from ALL connected speakers:
FL
FR
Center
SR
SL
SBR
SBL
Presence Front Left
Presence Front Right
Presence Back Left
Presence Back Right
Sub L
Sub R

If putting "Surround" Decoder it enabled all 4 Presence speakers but cancel out SBL+SBR

Unfortunately, no: only 11 speakers can be active at the same time.

Currently available AVRs are limited to a maximum of 11 simultaneously active speaker channels + 2 subwoofers. (Pioneer's AVRs are limited to 9, FWTW.) Next year's models are expected to be more capable.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Unfortunately, no: only 11 speakers can be active at the same time.

Currently available AVRs are limited to a maximum of 11 simultaneously active speaker channels + 2 subwoofers. (Pioneer's AVRs are limited to 9, FWTW.) Next year's models are expected to be more capable.
But he is talking about 11 speakers + 2 subs only. (or may be I missed something). It will just need a outboard amp for 3040 and some other models.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
[rx-v2040]
FL
FR
Center
SR
SL
SBR
SBL
Presence Front Left
Presence Front Right
Presence Back Left
Presence Back Right
Sub L
Sub R

RX-V2040 can not do 11 channels, even with external amps. Only 9.1. Or in Atmos terms: 5.1.4 or 7.1.2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Help

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Onkyo TX-NR807 as it has been fried. I'm currently running 5.0 sound (Speakers: Canton Vento 890DC, Vento 856 Center and GLE410 rear) and will add one sub shortly. I'm interested in trying Yamaha this time around as I've heard nothing but good about Yamaha (and they supposedly run cooler than Onkyo which would be a bonus since the Onkyo got fried).

I'm located in Sweden and currently (during the holiday sales) the prices are as follows:
RX-A1040: $1235 (down from $1500)
RX-A2040: $1500 (down from $1900)
RX-A3040: $2000 (down from $2800)

The RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 receivers feel like the biggest contenders for me. I'd like the receiver to last for a few years and by then I might want to be able to power speakers in a couple of other zones as well, or be able to run a bigger home cinema setup such as 7.2.4 or similar. Would the 2040 (or even the 1040) be sufficient for this? I too often go for the most expensive option when I don't really need to... Would really appreciate some input on this :)

·
Registered
22,234 Posts
The RX-A2040 and RX-A3040 receivers feel like the biggest contenders for me. I'd like the receiver to last for a few years and by then I might want to be able to power speakers in a couple of other zones as well, or be able to run a bigger home cinema setup such as 7.2.4 or similar. Would the 2040 (or even the 1040) be sufficient for this? I too often go for the most expensive option when I don't really need to... Would really appreciate some input on this :)
If you intend to amplify a multitude of speakers/zones with an AVR and no external amps, get the most power you can afford. Thats the A3040 in this case. Or, get the A1040 and a 5-ch amp to go with it. (my choice)

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Is it worth upgrading my RX-A820 to a 3040 / 2040 / 1040 ??

I currently have an 820 running my system. My main front speakers are the classic B&W 802 Matrix speakers. I use four channels on the 820 to drive the bass and treble parts of those main speakers. And then I have smaller B&W centre and rear speakers that use another three channels. So I am using 7.1 channels to power my 5.1 system.

I like the current system. And I am wondering if upgrading to a 3040 / 2040 / 1040 would bring noticeable improvements. What do you think?
I'd say yeah, fo shur, try it, Andrew. ...Atmos seems to be the real deal in 2014-15. * Well, Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU) in 2014.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sound differences between 2040 and 3040?

Hi Guys,
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the 2040 and 3040, specifically does the 9016 DAC in the 3040 vs the 9006 in the 2040 sound better? I will be using out board amplification, so feature wise both units are very similar. They can both EQ the sub (the 1040 can't I believe), so the only major difference would be if the 3040 has better sound quality (clearer. more dynamic?) that the 2040 to sway me in that direction. Anyone got any thoughts?

I've struggled with a similar issue when comparing the CX-A5000 vs the 3040. With the exception of onboard amplification, here in Australia the CX-A5000 is $1200 more expensive than the 3040.

Regards,
Stephen

·
Registered
147 Posts
RX-A2040 Firmware Update Version 1.66

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV receiver.
This firmware includes
1. Improves connectivity with JUKE music streaming service in Europe
2. Enables “Bookmark Off” function of vTuner station
3. Improves Dolby Atmos Playback Stability
4. Includes other functional improvement

Anyone know what 4. is, more specific?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
[rx-v2040]
FL
FR
Center
SR
SL
SBR
SBL
Presence Front Left
Presence Front Right
Presence Back Left
Presence Back Right
Sub L
Sub R

My RX-Z11 does. Unfortunately it doesn't do 3D, 4K, or Atmos. I would sure like to see Yamaha come out with a flagship receiver again!

·
Registered
22,234 Posts
Hi Guys,
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the 2040 and 3040, specifically does the 9016 DAC in the 3040 vs the 9006 in the 2040 sound better? I will be using out board amplification, so feature wise both units are very similar. They can both EQ the sub (the 1040 can't I believe), so the only major difference would be if the 3040 has better sound quality (clearer. more dynamic?) that the 2040 to sway me in that direction. Anyone got any thoughts?
You can compare them on the Yamaha site. There's more to it than the DAC. As to the DAC, it'll take an very high end system to be able to resolve the difference in sound. They both have dual DAC, BTW, the 2040 has 2x 9006 and the 3040 has 9016+9006. They both sound fantastic, and depending on what you're used to, either could be a substantial upgrade from your current unit.

1241 - 1260 of 3502 Posts