AVS Forum banner

7341 - 7360 of 7471 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looking at buying a used rx-a2060, the 2070-2080's are too expensive and also dropped some connectivity I still wish to retain. My decision was made, but now I am reading a surprising number of negative reliability complaints on this. People seem to have problems with blutooth, DOA units, channels blowing due to overheating and melting solder. What does reality say all you 2060 owners?

·
Registered
96 Posts
marcosphoto--

I picked up a second hand 3060 a little over a year ago and have had zero issues with it. I've found it very stable in my 7.1 home theater. It's used almost daily. I do not drive it hard as I don't need to. I came from an Onkyo TX-NR818 that failed and required a new HDMI board in the first two years of ownership.

In the end, it's all a crap shoot I guess. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looking at buying a used rx-a2060, the 2070-2080's are too expensive and also dropped some connectivity I still wish to retain. My decision was made, but now I am reading a surprising number of negative reliability complaints on this. People seem to have problems with blutooth, DOA units, channels blowing due to overheating and melting solder. What does reality say all you 2060 owners?

I've had a 3060 since they were the current model (3 years?) and have had zero problems. I had a few issues with the wifi connection on my 860, but I think that may have been a firmware issue, as it resolved on its own.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I've had a 3060 since they were the current model (3 years?) and have had zero problems. I had a few issues with the wifi connection on my 860, but I think that may have been a firmware issue, as it resolved on its own.
Hahaha, I have WIFI issues with all of my stuff. I have lots of devices (computers and other sorts of devices) and I suspect that my WIFI problems are complicated by all the electromagnetic noise in my environment. So much so, anything that I depend on actually working (like streaming) I make certain to physically wire.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought an RX-A2060 in Oct 2017 and it has been flawless. As my HT is also our living room, the 2060 is on quite a bit as the TV is on (my wife likes the background noise) most of the time if we are not streaming or playing a bluray movie or listening to music. So, it has been used very heavily. It drives a 5.2.2 system with a little help from a pair of Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblock amps which drive the fronts. (It did fine before I added the 2200's, btw.) I don't use bluetooth, as all my components are ethernet wired into my network. The DAC is, to my ears, very good. I listen to quite a wide variety of music (stereo and multi-channel), sometimes at fairly high volumes. Never an issue with overheating, etc. Bottom line: I could not be happier with my RX-A2060 and have zero regrets.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I bought a refurbished Yamaha 3060 for about a grand around January 2019. So far no issues with it. While on that subject; the two times I plugged a USB stick into it, the 3060 would not recognize anything on it. That makes me wonder two things...either my USB is not formatted in a way that helps the 3060 recognize it, or it may be the only thing that does not work on my refurbished 3060. As far as using a USB stick, I have two 4K disc players (and a Xbox One X) that all USB; so of course it has not really bothered me all that much that the 3060 does not recognize my USB.

Has anyone else tried using a USB stick in a Yamaha 3060?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I bought a refurbished Yamaha 3060 for about a grand around January 2019. So far no issues with it. While on that subject; the two times I plugged a USB stick into it, the 3060 would not recognize anything on it. That makes me wonder two things...either my USB is not formatted in a way that helps the 3060 recognize it, or it may be the only thing that does not work on my refurbished 3060. As far as using a USB stick, I have two 4K disc players (and a Xbox One X) that all USB; so of course it has not really bothered me all that much that the 3060 does not recognize my USB.

Yes, I have used them with no issues, except that the menus shown on the AVR front panel are not all that easy to go through, easier if you have TV on. Just tried mine and it works as usual. You did not specify if you were trying to play video with the USB stick, do not think it works, manual just lists audio formats. Stick cannot be password protected either. Just tried 2 video files I had on the same stick. One file had sound only, no video, other had neither

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes, I have used them with no issues, except that the menus shown on the AVR front panel are not all that easy to go through, easier if you have TV on. Just tried mine and it works as usual. You did not specify if you were trying to play video with the USB stick, do not think it works, manual just lists audio formats. Stick cannot be password protected either. Just tried 2 video files I had on the same stick. One file had sound only, no video, other had neither

Thanks for that info. My USB has both audio only and video files on it. It just won't recognize the USB. It's possible the Yamaha needs the USB to be formatted a certain way?

What format is your USB formatted to?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Thanks all for your input, has been a pleasure and reassuring to read all your comments.

With regards to wifi issues and USB stick concerns, as I have been investigating my upgrade I have heard many comments on these 2 topics. From what I have read, these units do have some glitches or bottlenecks with them. In fact, USB sticks appear to be wonky in several AV items - the Epson 50xx projector line appears to have issues with certain sticks as well. I'd investigate further if no one answers here.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for that info. My USB has both audio only and video files on it. It just won't recognize the USB. It's possible the Yamaha needs the USB to be formatted a certain way?

What format is your USB formatted to?
I have never formatted a stick, use them as they come out of the box. Last one I used is a Lexar 32 GB formatted FAT32. Files were loaded from a laptop running Windows 10. There might be a size limitation on sticks, cannot recall; the manual does not mention a limitation. A 32 BG stick holds enough to drive USA coast-to-coast and return without repeating.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
What I'm saying is that the best approach is to start with YPAO and then manually tweak.

Skipping YPAO altogether means you don't get the RSC filters which can be quite helpful for the bass frequencies particularly vs. just the manual PEQ which 1/3 octave resolution only. You also get the exact delays for each speaker and a good starting point for each of the 2 subs.

Add 3D angle/height for more precise object tracking with your new 4 height channels.

I would think most would agree with this approach, but maybe you should ask your original calibrator why he skipped YPAO altogether. Maybe he had a good reason why.
I don't have the exact reason, but i can tell you he trusts his multi thousand dollars worth of measuring equipment (along with his high quality microphone calibrated to his own equipment) than the built in stuff that comes in a receiver costing only a tiny fraction of what his equipment costs.) That along with years of experience working on thousands of systems. He's seen it all and knows the limitations of the electronics in people's homes.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I agree. The original calibrator probably did do that and barnman just doesn't know it.
It's interesting you would suggest that. The cheap mic and plastic stand never moved from my closet the whole time he was here.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Thanks all for your input, has been a pleasure and reassuring to read all your comments.

With regards to wifi issues and USB stick concerns, as I have been investigating my upgrade I have heard many comments on these 2 topics. From what I have read, these units do have some glitches or bottlenecks with them. In fact, USB sticks appear to be wonky in several AV items - the Epson 50xx projector line appears to have issues with certain sticks as well. I'd investigate further if no one answers here.

I just reformatted my USB to FAT32 (instead of FAT that it was formatted to earlier.) FAT32 with my USB as it turns out works just fine in my Yamaha 3060. However with this receiver and using USB, the audio is limited to only two channels.

·
Registered
18,017 Posts
I don't have the exact reason, but i can tell you he trusts his multi thousand dollars worth of measuring equipment (along with his high quality microphone calibrated to his own equipment) than the built in stuff that comes in a receiver costing only a tiny fraction of what his equipment costs.) That along with years of experience working on thousands of systems. He's seen it all and knows the limitations of the electronics in people's homes.
My pro cal does audio and video. He also has very expensive equipment and is well respected. The very first thing he did was run YPAO.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
My pro cal does audio and video. He also has very expensive equipment and is well respected. The very first thing he did was run YPAO.
Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has a reason for doing things their way. There's many ways to achieve anything, and anyone can use the tools they're comfortable with to create what ever desired result. The same could be said for cooking, composing, programming, practicing, acting, playing, exorcising etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a question regarding Yamaha RX-A3060 whenever I try to navigate through set up its displays view on screen but I am unable to view set up Menus on screen in avr Is there any way I can View in AVR screen?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you and i have one more question MY Yamaha R-A3060 avr connected via HTPC with Nvidia graphics card I have a Samsung monitor and Benq projector connected to it whenever the projector off Nvidia control panel displays samsung monitor as One display and Yamaha R-A3060 as the other but when I switch on the projector Nvidia control panel displays Samsung monitor as one display And benq as other now It doesn’t show Yamaha Rx-A3060 But sound plays just fine I want it to display Yamaha Instead of BenQ

·
Registered
766 Posts
HELP! I just spent over 15 hours in my theater trying to make a used upgrade to RX-A2070 work for me from my prior RX-V1075. After 3 days of messing around and adjusting almost anything I could adjust, both my wife and I unanimously agree that the old one sounded better! Problem is I had a buyer and was almost ready to ship out my old one (actually got payment for it) then I realized I was having real trouble with the 2070 so I refunded the money to pause and make a decision.
Reasons for upgrade: could not pass through video because of HDCP2.0 on the RXV - and I thought AtmosDTS-X would be nice.
Reasons for disappointment: found that sound was tinny and high, somewhat hollow compared to the RX-V. RX-V sounded noticeably fuller with more bass (but not exaggerated)

It got to a point while watching a DD5.1 bond film last night that even though the voices were at a reasonable level, there was ear shattering high pitch response with a severe lack of low-end to balance it. We both had headaches after the movie even though it wasn't actually loud as far as overall sound pressure. Whenever there was gunfire or shattering glass we would cringe in our seats! When there was an explosion, it had almost no sonic impact at all - like someone had taken an equalizer and lowered all frequencies between 20-500Hz. I went back to the RX-V this morning and brought my wife down, she confirmed animatedly that it sounded better than last night.

I messed with DSPs, eliminated the new front presence speakers I had spent a day installing because of the extra 2 channels available, messed with the auto and manual speaker set up, adjusted other sound settings in the options panel such as extra bass and also cranked the sub on my DefTech speakers to near the max - 15+ hours! It's really strange because when going through all the channels with a SPL meter, all were balanced between 26Hz to 18000Hz, so I figure it's just the mapping of the sound in the unit. I cannot believe that this makes any sense, why would a 6 year old flagship RX-V sound better than a 2 year old high end RX-A? I read one single thread somewhere that someone claimed the RX-A2060 sounded better than the replacement RX-A2070 but found no other single mention of this being the case after scouring the internet. I really need help rectifying this problem as I'm well over $1000 in the hole now and I may loose money on the 2070 if I try to sell it right now. Plus I really want to make the 2070 work due to the fact it's got all the features I want and need for HDCP 2.2 and my other equipment.

You forgot to provide details on the source device, the connection chain, the display, whether you’ve set the Yamaha to HDMI mode 1, ...

7341 - 7360 of 7471 Posts