AVS Forum banner

2081 - 2100 of 2711 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK. But doesn't that make YPAO ineffective due to changes? I mean if it want's to make my fronts 40Hz large (like it does) and I put them small and 80Hz afterward, isn't especially subwoofer then still optimized only under 40Hz? Or does it work more clever than it seems?

Anyway, I guess it is the only way in current Aventage that you can only change then after YPAO?

Also I'm a bit confused about right speaker configuration for 2 x fronts, 1 x center, 2 x surround, 2 x overhead (Atmos speakers) and 1 x sub.
I selected basic 7.1 and then just in layout defined those Front Presence Speakers as overhead and surrounds as surround. I guess it was right as there was actually 5.1.2 selection too but it included Zone 2 which I don't use…
Why I'm puzzled is that those overhead speakers are producing sounds even with non Atmos material.
1. You can copy/save YPAO rezult to Manual and use it like base - make personal correction for system.
2. Front Presence Speakers use for Dialog Lift options, for example. And in Atmos System good choise use 7.2 configuration. Front & Rear presence speakers.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Having similar issues with My CX-A5200 and YPAO. YPAO on my previous RX-Z11 worked really well. I'm getting some odd results with the CX-A5200. Says my back surrounds and the right front and rear Atmos speakers are out of phase. Checked everything and they are not. It thinks my Atmos speakers are large, but my surround channels that have subs are small. I'm not sure I could ever trust this thing. I set everything manually and it sounds fine.
Thats a common problem with YPAO.My Yamaha 683 said my center was out of phase and when I bought a new center it said that was fine. My 2080 says my front Polk LSIM 707 and 706C are out of phase. All my speakers connected with banana plugs and are connected right. Just ignore it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No, it simply changes the crossover frequencies for the speakers. As for the sound coming from your overhead speakers, what DSP setting(s) are you using. If using Straight or Pure Direct I wouldn't expect sounds from them but for most all other settings I would.
I was using default DSP settings (not straight or pure direct) so I guess that could be it.
Anyway, I'm not quite sure I set up speakers correctly as manual is a little vague regarding this (or I'm stupid, which is also possible:)).
So my plan is to have Atmos 5.1.2 system, so that I can get real Atmos height channel information from those 2 speakers (x.x.2).
But in the power amps setting there was 5.1.2 choice only with Zone 1 but I don't use that. Then there is just Basic that refers to 7.1 system but I selected that and then in the speaker setting where you can select speaker none/small/large and crossover, I selected front presence speakers as "overhead", then normal 2xfront, 1xcenter, 2xsurround and 1xsubwoofer and finally surround back as NONE. Isn't that right for 5.1.2 too when not using Zone?

My receiver is RX-A1080, so it should be capable of real Atmos height too, and not just front presence, right? I'm a bit confused with that front presence speaker term Yamaha uses. Or should I have got 2080 model even I will not use more than 2 x overhead speakers?

My overhead speakers are installed on the side wall just below ceiling and slightly forward from my ears (maybe around my knees) so that they are as high as possible and the speakers are those Atmos enabled kinds (front is kind of 45 degree angle shaped) that you can place either on top of front speakers or put them put them on the wall and they have switch UP/DOWN mode. From my limited testing with them so far, I can say that Atmos height effect sounded pretty good with one film I tested briefly and I ended up setting switch to DOWN position that sounded a little bit more pronounced and clear with height effects. I cannot install speakers to ceiling, so that is my only alternative for positioning them.

I was also confused about subwoofer with "test tone". YPAO set my subwoofer to -10db and when I try test tone it is nearly silent with that and even when I adjust to +10db I barely hear it compared to my other speakers where test tone play loud. In movies subwoofer is definitely working even at default -10db and during YPAO run it sounded much louder when it played those test tones during it.
Is it supposed to be like that? In my previous Yamaha receiver I remember test tone for subwoofer sounded much louder.

1. You can copy/save YPAO rezult to Manual and use it like base - make personal correction for system.
I know but I'm not that sure I can do much better manually myself. I'm especially a bit worried about subwoofer EQ when I set crossover manually to 80Hz from default Large/40Hz YPAO claims for fronts. Obviously YPAO seemed to tweak only below 40Hz region for the sub, so I guess it did not account the possibility of higher crossover, or did it but just did not think it needed adjustments above 40Hz? It only tweaked 2 out of 4 possible Hz band adjustments for sub.

2. Front Presence Speakers use for Dialog Lift options, for example. And in Atmos System good choise use 7.2 configuration. Front & Rear presence speakers.[/QUOTE]
But my receiver is 1080 model with only 5.1.2 support and I cannot install more than two height speakers for my room.
Do you mean 1080 is not real Atmos receiver and you need 4 overhead speakers to use it?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thats a common problem with YPAO.My Yamaha 683 said my center was out of phase and when I bought a new center it said that was fine. My 2080 says my front Polk LSIM 707 and 706C are out of phase. All my speakers connected with banana plugs and are connected right. Just ignore it.
My HT is a separate room and is treated and shaped pretty well , so I get good results just manually entering the speaker distances and levels. I just can't see putting my trust into a program that if I wire some of my speakers incorrectly. it will say they are now correct. What the heck did they do to YPAO anyway? It worked so well when it first came out. Usually tech gets better, but in this case I think the "improvements" are seriously flawed.

Reactions: mattg3

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
My HT is a separate room and is treated and shaped pretty well , so I get good results just manually entering the speaker distances and levels. I just can't see putting my trust into a program that if I wire some of my speakers incorrectly. it will say they are now correct. What the heck did they do to YPAO anyway? It worked so well when it first came out. Usually tech gets better, but in this case I think the "improvements" are seriously flawed.
The problem I find with entering distances manually is that what the Yamaha is looking for is how much to delay each channel so that the sound arrives at the mic position at the same time. This may or may not be reflected in the the physical distance from the speaker to the mic. I've had speakers that obviously had a delaying effect on the signal passing through them on their way to my ears. Any electronics or perhaps crossover devices in the path could have an effect on delay. Also, there is the question of level. Unless you manually set the levels with a SPL meter there can be significant differences in the level as it arrives at your ears. Finally, not all of my speakers in any of my systems have identical sensitivities.

As for out of phase issues, I haven't had any false out of phase errors in at least 15 years with my systems. That's not to say it can't happen, maybe I've just been lucky...but regardless, I have come to trust the output.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The problem I find with entering distances manually is that what the Yamaha is looking for is how much to delay each channel so that the sound arrives at the mic position at the same time. This may or may not be reflected in the the physical distance from the speaker to the mic. I've had speakers that obviously had a delaying effect on the signal passing through them on their way to my ears. Any electronics or perhaps crossover devices in the path could have an effect on delay. Also, there is the question of level. Unless you manually set the levels with a SPL meter there can be significant differences in the level as it arrives at your ears. Finally, not all of my speakers in any of my systems have identical sensitivities.

As for out of phase issues, I haven't had any false out of phase errors in at least 15 years with my systems. That's not to say it can't happen, maybe I've just been lucky...but regardless, I have come to trust the output.
So many variables and differences in each of our systems. All I know is that my Z11 showed all speakers phased correctly. The CX-A5200 with the same speakers shows several of my speakers are out of phase. And yes, I'm using an SPL meter to set the levels.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
So many variables and differences in each of our systems. All I know is that my Z11 showed all speakers phased correctly. The CX-A5200 with the same speakers shows several of my speakers are out of phase.
Very true. I can't recall if I had any problems of this sort with my Z11 when I was using it (replaced it with a CX-A5000), but I've replaced all of my speakers and the amps for my presence channels since those days as well. My only point was that there are several measurements that YPAO performs (including R.S.C., which I didn't mention previously) that I find valuable so I have always run it on all my systems since it was first introduced (that might have been on my RX-Z9 back in the day since I don't recall if the RX-Z1 had it).

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Very true. I can't recall if I had any problems of this sort with my Z11 when I was using it (replaced it with a CX-A5000), but I've replaced all of my speakers and the amps for my presence channels since those days as well. My only point was that there are several measurements that YPAO performs (including R.S.C., which I didn't mention previously) that I find valuable so I have always run it on all my systems since it was first introduced (that might have been on my RX-Z9 back in the day since I don't recall if the RX-Z1 had it).
Haha! Another Yamaha guy from way back. The DSP-A1000 was my first. Just retired my Z11 (It's in storage now) although recently I was only using it for the amps and have now replaced it with 2 MX-A5000's. Still using my Z9 in my office system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know but I'm not that sure I can do much better manually myself. I'm especially a bit worried about subwoofer EQ when I set crossover manually to 80Hz from default Large/40Hz YPAO claims for fronts. Obviously YPAO seemed to tweak only below 40Hz region for the sub, so I guess it did not account the possibility of higher crossover, or did it but just did not think it needed adjustments above 40Hz? It only tweaked 2 out of 4 possible Hz band adjustments for sub.

2. Front Presence Speakers use for Dialog Lift options, for example. And in Atmos System good choise use 7.2 configuration. Front & Rear presence speakers.
But my receiver is 1080 model with only 5.1.2 support and I cannot install more than two height speakers for my room.
Do you mean 1080 is not real Atmos receiver and you need 4 overhead speakers to use it?[/QUOTE]

I Have same 1080. RTFM carefully, it means information about speakers connection. And find 7.2 options. AVR automatically switch between Front and Rear presence. For example - it use Rear in Straight then you least SA-CD 5.1, cose recommend position rear speakers in Classic 5.1 and Atmos system - slightly different. Upon your back in classic, and on shoulder - in Atmos. You can find prove - it easy. Sorry my English.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi Guys.

Long time member, 1st time poster in a Yamaha thread. After failed Onkyo and Pioneer units, both high end, I've decided to take a look at what Yamaha has to offer. In this case, the RX-A2080.

I'm adding two height channels to my current 7.1 system. I have an external amp powering TWO fronts (LR) and all else driven by the internal amps. And therein lies my question in so far as amp assignment goes. I don't see a configuration that would drive my front LR externally while powering the center with the Yamaha's internal amp. I need pre-out L+R assigned as external, and if I do that I'm wondering if the center channel amp will be shut down. If this is the case, nogo with the A2080.

Perhaps someone could assign fronts to external and leave a center speaker hooked up to the center speaker terminals and get back to me with whether or not it outputs sound. Otherwise, your suggestions are most welcomed in helping me join my fellow Yamaha brethren.

All hail the great AVS infinitely deep fountain of all knowledge Audio/Video :D!!

Thanks guys !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question about utilization of SW1/2

All,

3080 owner here with a question about the speaker status indicators vs. the chosen surround decode and program. When watching content on my Amazon Fire TV Cube and other devices where the receiver is in any surround mode/program and it indicates "DD+" in decoder information, sometimes "SW1" is shown as active on the receiver's speaker status indicators, and other times it is not. When SW1 is not active, the only way to make it active is to switch it into "9 channel stereo" mode. I would like to have the surround decoder active and have the low frequency content sent to SW1 all the time. How can I make this happen?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Guys.

I'm adding two height channels to my current 7.1 system. I have an external amp powering TWO fronts (LR) and all else driven by the internal amps. And therein lies my question in so far as amp assignment goes. I don't see a configuration that would drive my front LR externally while powering the center with the Yamaha's internal amp. I need pre-out L+R assigned as external, and if I do that I'm wondering if the center channel amp will be shut down. If this is the case, nogo with the A2080.

Perhaps someone could assign fronts to external and leave a center speaker hooked up to the center speaker terminals and get back to me with whether or not it outputs sound. Otherwise, your suggestions are most welcomed in helping me join my fellow Yamaha brethren.

All hail the great AVS infinitely deep fountain of all knowledge Audio/Video :D!!

Thanks guys !!
No matter, hou you get Front - directly from AVR or like me - use preaut AVR connected to main-in Yamaha A-S1100. All, wath you need - repit YPAO after connect Front from amplifier.

·
Registered
863 Posts
No matter, hou you get Front - directly from AVR or like me - use preaut AVR connected to main-in Yamaha A-S1100. All, wath you need - repit YPAO after connect Front from amplifier.
I appreciate your response T60, however my question is more granular than the solution you are suggesting. I know how to hook up preouts to an external amps. At this point, I only wish to connect my LR preouts to an external amp and am inquiring as to the impact on the center channel, internal amplifier. WIll it still power the center channel in this configuration ?

If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks again T60.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I appreciate your response T60, however my question is more granular than the solution you are suggesting. I know how to hook up preouts to an external amps. At this point, I only wish to connect my LR preouts to an external amp and am inquiring as to the impact on the center channel, internal amplifier. WIll it still power the center channel in this configuration ?

If anyone can help with this, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks again T60.
My den system with a 3080 has the L&R channels being powered by two Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblock amps and the center channel (as well as all 8 surround channels) is working just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble with it. I can't tell you the exact setting that you need to use in the receiver to enable this (not near the system), but it's pretty straight forward/obvious (was to me anyway).

·
Registered
863 Posts
My den system with a 3080 has the L&R channels being powered by two Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblock amps and the center channel (as well as all 8 surround channels) is working just fine. You shouldn't have any trouble with it. I can't tell you the exact setting that you need to use in the receiver to enable this (not near the system), but it's pretty straight forward/obvious (was to me anyway).
Thanks a bunch bwillcox. This is precisely the info I was looking for. When I get it, I'll fool with the settings until I get what I'm looking for. At least I know now that it's indeed doable (so if it won't work I'll know that it's a "cockpit" issue;))thanks to you my friend.

Have a great day. Stay safe. Be Well

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks a bunch bwillcox. This is precisely the info I was looking for. When I get it, I'll fool with the settings until I get what I'm looking for. At least I know now that it's indeed doable (so if it won't work I'll know that it's a "cockpit" issue;))thanks to you my friend.

Have a great day. Stay safe. Be Well
And remember - you must make YPAO measurement with amplifier. And so, you can use AVR with two differential configuration, use for it to scene preset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yamaha RX-A3080 - Question about utilization of SW1/2

All,

Yamaha RX-A3080 owner here with a question about the speaker status indicators vs. the chosen surround decode and program. When watching content from my Amazon Fire TV Cube and other devices where the receiver is in any surround mode/program and it indicates "DD+" on the decoder information display, sometimes "SW1" is shown as active on the receiver's speaker status indicators (along with the rest of the speakers), and other times it is not. When SW1 is not active, the only way to make it active is to switch it into "9 channel stereo" mode. I would like to have the surround decoder active and have the low frequency content sent to SW1 all the time. How can I make this happen? Note that I have run YPAO and configured my speaker setup.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I Have same 1080. RTFM carefully, it means information about speakers connection. And find 7.2 options. AVR automatically switch between Front and Rear presence. For example - it use Rear in Straight then you least SA-CD 5.1, cose recommend position rear speakers in Classic 5.1 and Atmos system - slightly different. Upon your back in classic, and on shoulder - in Atmos. You can find prove - it easy. Sorry my English.
I'm not sure I got you right but from what I understood you cannot have 9 speakers at the same time in use, it will switch between them.
Also I have HT in my living room, so I have to make compromises in speaker placement and I have no rear surrounds at all, only 2 x front, 1 x center, 2 x surround (that I have placed just behind but wide apart the wall behind sofa (listening position), 1 x subwoofer and then 2 x Atmos height speakers placed on the side walls as high as possible just below ceiling (speakers are ones that have front 45 degree angle so the are pointing down towards listening position).

If I understood correctly setting those Atmos speakers as "overhead" they should act like real Atmos height speakers. Did I got that right and I should get real atmos height sounds with just those 2 speakers (or do you absolutely need 4 height speakers for that)?
With my limited testing, I think there is definitely height effect noticeable but I really have tested it very briefly so far and I have really nothing else against what to compare that here.

·
Vendor
26,619 Posts
Speaking just about the trusting of a program, You could always get your surround sound system calibrated by a pro. Chad does this however I am not sure about the guys below Chad B : [email protected] The outcome would be amazing to say the least.

D-Nice : [email protected]
Gregg Loewen : [email protected]
Kris Deering [email protected]

If all else fails master list :

>

>

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Speaking just about the trusting of a program, You could always get your surround sound system calibrated by a pro. Chad does this however I am not sure about the guys below Chad B : [email protected] The outcome would be amazing to say the least.

D-Nice : [email protected]
Gregg Loewen : [email protected]
Kris Deering [email protected]

If all else fails master list :

>

>
Maybe someday if I have Chad do a calibration on my X750R, but at the moment finances are pretty tight. Although I'm happy with my system after manual calibration and tweaking, I'm sure there's room for improvement.

2081 - 2100 of 2711 Posts