AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2706 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Choice is RX-A1080 + A-S1100. Both - Yamaha, have same sound, make good balance for speaker system. Dynavoice Definition DF-6 very pretty for cinema as a front speakers, and so for stereo 2.0. And one more - Yamaha A-S1100 have good phonocorrector MM/MC type for vinil onboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have RX 3080 I have it set up that I can watch video while listening to music through the scene option however every time I switch scenes I either have a delay for 10 to 20 seconds or I have to turn the receiver off and back on for it to work does anybody have this issue and what is the fix

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have RX 3080 I have it set up that I can watch video while listening to music through the scene option however every time I switch scenes I either have a delay for 10 to 20 seconds or I have to turn the receiver off and back on for it to work does anybody have this issue and what is the fix
Unfortunately it’s always been that way for me. Switching quickly is not this receivers strong suit. Changing HDMI cables helped a bit but it’s still slow.

·
Vendor
26,603 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
How long is your delay?
Depends on what I’m switching between. Never less than 8 seconds can be double that. Used to be worse until I switched the main HDMI output cable. I have a Denon X7200WA and switching is much quicker. I’ve moved most of my regularly used sources to the TV as a last resort.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 4 device connected to AVR as source- PS-4Pro, OPPO-203, Sat Receiver and TV ARC mode. 4 scene selected, no any problem whit switching. May by you have some problem with HDMI option setup on your device?

·
Registered
13 Posts
3080 display

Taking delivery of the 3080 today:) Does this unit display the current audios bitrate on the display? Older units had the ability to open settings and see it. Hoping Yamaha will eventually make it so we can see the music files bitrate on the units display.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can you recommend a good three channel amp that works well with the 2080?
Look at Emotiva. Some like them, some don`t. I have 2 in my set up. A 2 ch DR2 and a XPA5 for surround power. Can`t complain whatsoever, great clean power and the DR2 drives my Polk LSiM 707s with authority

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm using all 11 speaker outputs on the 2080 - Front, Center, Front and Rear Presence, Rear Surround and Rear Back plus a sub. I read somewhere in the manual but now I can't find it that depending on what is playing the rear presence or rear surround speakers will play but not both and you need to change a setting so this happens?

Thanks

Gary
I just acquired a Peachtree Nova which is a home theater bypass switch so I was thinking of using this to power my front speakers so the 2080 would then power the center, front and rear ceiling, rear surrounds and rear backs plus the sub. I got everything hooked up using the the front pre amp out to the Nova but when I go to settings it doesn't see the the rear backs? Any suggestions please or does this not work on the 2080? I saw in the manual that the external amp only works on the 3080?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,150 (Edited)
I just acquired a Peachtree Nova which is a home theater bypass switch so I was thinking of using this to power my front speakers so the 2080 would then power the center, front and rear ceiling, rear surrounds and rear backs plus the sub. I got everything hooked up using the the front pre amp out to the Nova but when I go to settings it doesn't see the the rear backs? Any suggestions please or does this not work on the 2080? I saw in the manual that the external amp only works on the 3080?

Thanks

Gary
If you read the very first post in this thread you will see that the 3080 is the only Yamaha AVR capable of 11 channel processing,
...but only has 9 internal amps, thus an external amp is required for the extra 2 channels (for 7.1.4) 7+4=11
Those two channels can be Front Mains, Rear Presence or all 4 Front + Rear Presence channels if you have a 4 channel amp.

The 2080 has 9 channel processing and 9 internal amps.
Adding additional external amps will not expand the number of channels your 2080 can process.
it is still limited to 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 (7+2=9, or 5+4=9) 9

The 1080 has 7 channel processing and 7 internal amps
it is capable of only 7.1 or 5.1.2 max. and adding external amps will not change the number of channels it can process.

Think about it, If the 2080 was capable of 11 channel processing, and could expand to 7.1.4 with an extra amp
there would be no reason to have the 3080 Flagship model in the lineup :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do any of you run a NAS to stream your music/content to the receiver? I am interested in setting one up but I don't really know what I need. I'm looking at a WD EX2 Ultra NAS, which I think is compatible with my Yamaha RX-A1080.
Also, how does MusicCast fit in with streaming over a network? Doesn't the NAS come with its own software?
Appreciate any advice.
@aaronarchy

RX-A3080
Yamaha AV Controller App
Synology DS918+ 16GB/16TB/SHR2

I have a collection of 200GB of Exact Audio Copy/LAME MP3 files where I've accurately updated the metadata for each MP3 file using the MusicBrainz Picard MP3 tagger (https://musicbrainz.org/). All of these MP3 files are stored in my "Media" volume and where I have Minim Server (https://minimserver.com/), Synology Media Server and PLEX.

Using the Yamaha AV Controller App and selecting Input: SERVER I'm able to select either the Minim Server or Synology Media Server to navigate an play my music. Works really well.

This particular NAS has two 1GBe interfaces and I have both of them connected to my network switch using Link Aggregation (LACP). I also use the NAS as a network video recorder (NVR) and use Synology Surveillance Station to record four POE 3MP cameras 24x7. I'm able to stream music to the Yamaha with no hiccups while all the cameras are recording. I can also stream 1080p and 4K content (DVD/Bluray rips) using the PLEX media server on the NAS to my TVs with the Roku PLEX app.

I would say the NAS works great as a media/music server with the Yamaha and Roku.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am running a Synology DS718+ with my 1080 and it works great.

On another note, since the most recent firmware update, AI or at least the display read out, has been inconsistent. Most of the time when AI is activated in reads straight. And sometimes it will switch back and forth from reading as AI and Straight then ends up on Straight. As for the sound, it still sounds like AI is in.

Anyone else run into this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am running a Synology DS718+ with my 1080 and it works great.

On another note, since the most recent firmware update, AI or at least the display read out, has been inconsistent. Most of the time when AI is activated in reads straight. And sometimes it will switch back and forth from reading as AI and Straight then ends up on Straight. As for the sound, it still sounds like AI is in.

Anyone else run into this issue?
I don't have a 1080, but my 2080, 3080, and 5200 have all had the firmware updated and they don't do that. Is it possible that the source signal format is changing whey you observe these changes?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've been having some issues with HDMI in this combination:
Apple TV 4K > RX-A1080 > LG 77C9 (I also have projector connected on HDMI out 2 but I selected HDMI output to out 1 only and I only switch 2. on when I need)
I had 3 meter cable between each but for some reason running ATV @ SDR 4K 50Hz 4:4:4 caused occasionally flashes on the screen and sudden short black screens (once maybe every 5 minutes) but that happened only when playing SDR content at mention rate. When playing DV from Netflix @ 24p 4K it worked. Interesting thing was when I ran check HDMI connection in ATV when it was turned on within say 15 minutes it said "connections looks better" but once drop outs happened or it was on for longer it would report some problems maintaining stable connection in that test. Sounds odd how warming up would make any difference in case it was a cable issue?? (or does it somehow "overheat" or strain some error correction circuits causing that).

Since I haven't noticed issues with my UHD BD player in the same setup I decided to try new cable between ATV and RX-A1080 so I replaced that 3 meter cable with 2 meter cable (I happened to have one in unopened retail box at home so I gave it a try). Now it seems I did not notice drop outs or screen going black occasionally when playing 4K SDR 50Hz 4:4:4 material and also check HDMI connection test in ATV gave me "connection looks better" even I had ATV on for like 3 hours.

Anyway, I'm wondering about that test results, that isn't it supposed to say "connection looks good" or something like that instead of "connection looks better", or is that best it can say??
Or is there some limitation with that combination or does it imply I don't have selected Dolby Vision as default format?
I have match dynamic range and frame rate, so I can display 24p, Dolby Vision and HDR when selected title supports it. I rather not keep HDR or DV as default for ATV as it is "burning" my screen for no reason.

All the HDMI cables are only High Speed with Ethernet but they should be decent ones.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for your response....I guess I’ll wait for the RX-8 to come out which apparently is an 11 channel
I will be looking to upgrade soon, Currently have a A-2030
Been a LONG time since i have researched what is new/ forthcoming.

Is the RX-8 the Aventage replacement?
Has Yammie announced anything. Dr. Google hasnt been helpful in my research

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah, those things are so ugly and stupid looking I do believe that they have saved me alot of update expense!
I have to agree. Not loving the new look at all on these. Very glad I picked up a 3080 this year.

2141 - 2160 of 2706 Posts