AVS Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2719 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The A3080 can do this with no problem. I have an A3080 with a 7.2.4 setup plus a Zone 2 pair for my back porch. It works fine, and I can run them all simultaneously with no need to sacrifice a presence pair or anything. (In fact, I just tested it with an Atmos Blu-Ray in the main room and internet radio playing in Zone 2. All speakers were operating normally.) I use a Power Amp Assign of "7.2.4 [ext. Front]", with my Front LR and Center speakers and Zone 2 speakers all on an external amp. The surrounds and overheads are all driven by the A3080. (I could connect the surrounds to an external amp as well, but don't see the need.)
How do you have everything hooked up? with 7.4 that eats up all 11 channels, 2 of which have to be powered externally. So you have the zone 2 (rear or front presence speakers) preout going to your external amp. Then you have the 4 ceiling presence speakers hardwired to the 3080, so you are doing double duty on the zone2, using both preout and wired? If that is the case, i can choose 5.1.4 and it should work (no luck as of yet though).

Any pics or additional info would be much appreciated

·
Registered
94 Posts
The A3080 can do this with no problem. I have an A3080 with a 7.2.4 setup plus a Zone 2 pair for my back porch. It works fine, and I can run them all simultaneously with no need to sacrifice a presence pair or anything. (In fact, I just tested it with an Atmos Blu-Ray in the main room and internet radio playing in Zone 2. All speakers were operating normally.) I use a Power Amp Assign of "7.2.4 [ext. Front]", with my Front LR and Center speakers and Zone 2 speakers all on an external amp. The surrounds and overheads are all driven by the A3080. (I could connect the surrounds to an external amp as well, but don't see the need.)
How do you have everything hooked up? with 7.4 that eats up all 11 channels, 2 of which have to be powered externally. So you have the zone 2 (rear or front presence speakers) preout going to your external amp. Then you have the 4 ceiling presence speakers hardwired to the 3080, so you are doing double duty on the zone2, using both preout and wired? If that is the case, i can choose 5.1.4 and it should work (no luck as of yet though).

Any pics or additional info would be much appreciated

This shows how all of my speakers are connected. There are 8 channels driven by the receiver (the surrounds and tops), and three on the external amp (Front Left, Center, Right). The Zone 2 is also on the external amp. I know that seems like 13 channels, but the receiver doesn't see it that way.

Whether the Extra Sp1&2 terminals and Zone pre-outs control the presence speakers or zone speakers is determined by the Power Amp Assign setting. I use the "7.2.4 [ext. Front]" setting, which defines the Extra Sp1 and Extra Sp2 terminals as presence speakers, and the Zone pre-outs as Zone speakers. You only need to use a Power Amp Assign setting with "Zone" in the name if you want to drive that zone from the Extra Sp terminals.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
What’s the general consensus on A1? I have had the 3080 for awhile now and really haven’t messed with it much.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
What’s the general consensus on A1? I have had the 3080 for awhile now and really haven’t messed with it much.
I use if for video sources where I find that it improves my ability to understand the dialog, esp when there are alot of other sounds involved (music, FX, etc.).

Reactions: rlb

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Can anyone confirm the A1080 has separate control for dual subs (separate distance and level settings)? I am assuming Yamaha only does PEQ for the subs combined and not separately, correct?

Are there any other lower models with separate dual sub control capability?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,266
Can anyone confirm the A1080 has separate control for dual subs (separate distance and level settings)? I am assuming Yamaha only does PEQ for the subs combined and not separately, correct?

Are there any other lower models with separate dual sub control capability?
Only the Two Top Tier 2080/3080 models have 2 individual sub outs.
The 1080 has an internal Y-Splitter...so same EQ/Distance/Level for both.

Same way its been for the past 8 years.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Only the Two Top Tier 2080/3080 models have 2 individual sub outs.
The 1080 has an internal Y-Splitter...so same EQ/Distance/Level for both.

Same way its been for the past 8 years.

thanks.

How does yamaha indicate this on their website?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,268 (Edited)
thanks.

How does yamaha indicate this on their website?
They Don't, it's up to consumers to do their own research, preferably before making a purchase (caveat emptor)

When considering a new purchase I typically download PDF user manuals to start my research,
Then head to user based forums (like AVS) for further inquiries and real world experience.

My RX-A3070 Has individual dual sub outputs, each have separate PEQ (4 Bands per channel)
Unlike Denon/Marantz Audyssey xt32, YPAO does not combine the Two together in the final stages of Room EQ.

...Not an issue for 1080 users though :D:p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I use if for video sources where I find that it improves my ability to understand the dialog, esp when there are alot of other sounds involved (music, FX, etc.).
Thanks for the reply. When I switch between A1 and direct I can’t tell much difference but I have read others say that it improves dialogue. Some movies are just plain hard to hear through the center channel so I will need to try this out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
They Don't, it's up to consumers to do their own research, preferably before making a purchase (caveat emptor)

When considering a new purchase I typically download PDF user manuals to start my research,
Then head to user based forums (like AVS) for further inquiries and real world experience.

My RX-A3070 Has individual dual sub outputs, each have separate PEQ (4 Bands per channel)
Unlike Denon/Marantz Audyssey xt32, YPAO does not combine the Two together in the final stages of Room EQ.

...Not an issue for 1080 users though :D:p

Thank you so much for that. I had gone through the manuals trying to find the answers and was unsuccessful. I was looking for section where the described the abilities more generally. I didn't think the only reference to it would be that instead of subwoofer it says Sub1 and Sub2.

That is really great it has separate PEQ for each sub. I wish they would bring this down to the A780 level to have a leg up on the competition.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,271 (Edited)
Thank you so much for that. I had gone through the manuals trying to find the answers and was unsuccessful. I was looking for section where the described the abilities more generally. I didn't think the only reference to it would be that instead of subwoofer it says Sub1 and Sub2.

That is really great it has separate PEQ for each sub. I wish they would bring this down to the A780 level to have a leg up on the competition.
YPAO Sub EQ has been a shortfall on all Yamaha's as far back as I can remember.

The YPAO software (and cheap plastic mic) are limited to frequencies above 31.3Hz (and 4 Bands of EQ) :rolleyes:

If you have REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/)
and a $75 Umik-1 mic from https://www.minidsp.com/products
You can measure your room response and manually PEQ down to 15.9Hz on the latest Yamaha models.

IMHO, if you prefer Yamaha over Denon/Marantz units overall, and have Multiple subs
Spend another $205 and grab a miniDSP 2x4HD that can run up to 4 sub channels
each with individual Delay/Phase/Level with up to 10 PEQ slots per channel all the way down to 10Hz.

You can actually import the settings from REW to your miniDSP

...and then you can access a Custom BEQ (BassEQ) library with 1200+ movies
that have been fixed where studios have failed to deliver sufficient ULF/LFE (link in my Sig)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi!

New owner of 2080.
Three questions.

1. I've run the ypao two times. First time with 5 points measure and then with 8 all points. Both times the sub's level is set to -0,5db. With my previous reciever I always ended upp at around -6db and therefore had more space to trim up the sub. Should I change anything or not?
I've to say that the sub-level when listening to music and watching movies is pretty strong as it is.

2. I run a 7.1-system (Dali oberon 7 fronts, Oberon Vokal center, Dynavoice Lcr4-v3 surr+back surr, SVS SB12-nsd sub). I use an external amp for my front speakers. I don't bi-amp or use any other zone. Under "settings/power amp settings" I've chosen the "basic". Is it right when I use an external amp for the fronts?

3. My front speakers has specs. nominal impedance 6ohm, center 4ohm, surr+back surr 4-8ohm. I read an article here at avs forum about to set the reciever to 8ohm all times. Do you think I can runs it at 8ohm?

I've to say that this reciever sounds awesome I thought my previous one delivered good sound but this one is a big level up

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6003 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
YPAO Sub EQ has been a shortfall on all Yamaha's as far back as I can remember.

The YPAO software (and cheap plastic mic) are limited to frequencies above 31.3Hz (and 4 Bands of EQ) :rolleyes:

If you have REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/)
and a $75 Umik-1 mic from https://www.minidsp.com/products
You can measure your room response and manually PEQ down to 15.9Hz on the latest Yamaha models.

IMHO, if you prefer Yamaha over Denon/Marantz units overall, and have Multiple subs
Spend another $205 and grab a miniDSP 2x4HD that can run up to 4 sub channels
each with individual Delay/Phase/Level with up to 10 PEQ slots per channel all the way down to 10Hz.

You can actually import the settings from REW to your miniDSP

...and then you can access a Custom BEQ (BassEQ) library with 1200+ movies
that have been fixed where studios have failed to deliver sufficient ULF/LFE (link in my Sig)

I don't care about the

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Thanks for the reply. When I switch between A1 and direct I can’t tell much difference but I have read others say that it improves dialogue. Some movies are just plain hard to hear through the center channel so I will need to try this out.
I'm 76 with hearing aids. So, I've tried everything to improve audio. My Yamaha 5200 is definitely superior to my prior Dennon. Regarding "AI", I've found that it helps "a lot" on some movies and "is too boomy" on others. Bottom line is that I normally try AI vs Straight and pick the one I like the best. If all else fails, I implement sub titles. As they say, "getting old sucks; however it beats the alternative"!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm 76 with hearing aids. So, I've tried everything to improve audio. My Yamaha 5200 is definitely superior to my prior Dennon. Regarding "AI", I've found that it helps "a lot" on some movies and "is too boomy" on others. Bottom line is that I normally try AI vs Straight and pick the one I like the best. If all else fails, I implement sub titles. As they say, "getting old sucks; however it beats the alternative"!
I prefer the saying "getting old ain't for sissies"! (63, and a hearing aid wearer since I was 50)

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Guys, what's a decent, but reasonably priced stereo AVR/amp to pair w/Yamaha A3080 (I actually have a 3050, but asking here to see newer, in-stock recommendations)? Want to go from 5.2.4 to 7.2.4.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Thanks, may consider Schiit.This is for powering front (or more likely) my rear ceiling presence speakers... how would these be?

- Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver (just $105 refurb), or

- Technical Pro Torque Audio 2U Professional 2CH Power Amplifier ($70 at walmart.com)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks, may consider Schiit.This is for powering front (or more likely) my rear ceiling presence speakers... how would these be?

- Yamaha R-S202BL Stereo Receiver (just $105 refurb), or

- Technical Pro Torque Audio 2U Professional 2CH Power Amplifier ($70 at walmart.com)
To get more accurate recommendations you would need to say what speakers you want to power. What impedance they are and the recommended power they take.
I personally would get better, more powerful, and possibly cleaner power for your front speakers and use the in-AVR amps for the presence speakers.

2261 - 2280 of 2719 Posts