AVS Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 2711 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
GREAT to hear you also have no more POP's after switching off the "Auto"!
This indeed proves that something is wrong with SOME of the units, maybe those purchased later 2019, cause I for one got mine in November 2019.

You? When you got yours? Also where are you located, Europe or US? I'm in Romania, Europe.

Also, not so great that the Yamaha tech did not called as promised, but, as you said, it really sounds like they know about this issue, and clearly is not fix-able via firmware update, since I do not have (yet) the latest one (1.8). Think I should also ask Yamaha Europe about this.

Please keep us updated here, with your development!

Have a good one... ;)
I'm in US (Vegas) and bought mine end of Dec 2019. It's on 1.8 firmware.

·
Vendor
26,619 Posts
Update. I switched to Neutral X decoding and with everything hooked up, not a single pop in almost 2 days. While that's certainly good news, it also proves there's a a gremlin in there!

Yamaha did not call me as promised; I received a return label a few minutes ago. I got onto chat and was told level II tech support "has decided to exchange the unit." I'm to ship it to CA and once received, they're to send a replacement. I don't know what to think of this other that it sounds like they know there's an issue? I really wanted to talk to them...as I'm now armed with the information from you all that this isn't an isolated incident.
Well hopefully the new one is A OK ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Been looking at these Yamaha’s mostly for a friend who has an older Yamaha 1800. What a great unit that has been. Not good there’s popping going on. Will watch this thread and see how that goes.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
Been looking at these Yamaha’s mostly for a friend who has an older Yamaha 1800. What a great unit that has been. Not good there’s popping going on. Will watch this thread and see how that goes.....
Very few are having that issue. I have NEVER had any popping on mine and use MANY different options with this unit (3080). Mine has been rock solid as was my 2050.

Reactions: bwillcox

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Very few are having that issue. I have NEVER had any popping on mine and use MANY different options with this unit (3080). Mine has been rock solid as was my 2050.
I too, have had no popping from any of my 2018 Yamaha units (2080, 3080 & 5200). Mine have all been rock-solid. I seriously doubt that this is a wide spread issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I too, have had no popping from any of my 2018 Yamaha units (2080, 3080 & 5200). Mine have all been rock-solid. I seriously doubt that this is a wide spread issue.

I believe this POPPING is specific only to the newer produced ones, since it seems that both me and some others that got it (purchase it) ON or AFTER November 2019, no matter the continent, had a good chance to get the popping, which, BTW, is easily to "workaround" (FOR SOME, most of us) by NOT using "Auto" or "AI" (neither one should be active).

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Connect button is also the 'Straight' button under the flap on the front panel..
Anyone else not able to complete the Google Assistant integration within the MusicCast app? I'll click on "Allow" and it'll get all the way to the last step and then fail. Curious if anyone has been successful at this. Thanks

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
THIS IS the thread you suggested, so he is already here, right where you suggested him to go!
:D:eek:
Sometimes people will respond, link to the "owners'" thread, and then LATER a Mod will merge the post into the target thread. Happens more often than you think. Let's stick to talking Yamaha.

Hey All,
I'm wondering, when speakers are set to small and you set the crossover point for the sub, does this also affect LFE content? LFE (low frequency effects) is a discrete channel that goes up to 120hz. If the crossover point is set to say, 80hz, wouldn't this roll off the LFE content?
If you mean the ".1" in multichannel audio, aka the LFE channel, then => LFE goes to the LFE channel, which the sub is connected to. Bass Management does not effect it.

I believe this POPPING is specific only to the newer produced ones, since it seems that both me and some others that got it (purchase it) ON or AFTER November 2019, no matter the continent, had a good chance to get the popping, which, BTW, is easily to "workaround" (FOR SOME, most of us) by NOT using "Auto" or "AI" (neither one should be active).
Just because you read something on a forum, it doesn't establish that it's a widespread issue. Even just the population of enthusiasts talking on an A/V forum are a minority of the total consumer market buying these boxes It's easy to think that several people having a similar problem means a whole model line has the issue, when in fact it could still be rare.

Doesn't make it less annoying to those having the issue, but take care in telling anyone "oh that line of Yamaha AVRs seem to have this common problem" based on a few people talking on a forum. :cool:

@Johnson-from-Arizona Your friend will probably be fine buying one of these, just get it from a reputable source that you can return to if there's any kind of issue.

Can the 1080 be controlled through the Multicast app? I'm using the Yamaha AV Controller app but I'd like Google Home integration. I was under the assumption that it could connect to the Multicast app but I do not see a "connect" button anywhere on the receiver. Thanks
Anyone else not able to complete the Google Assistant integration within the MusicCast app? I'll click on "Allow" and it'll get all the way to the last step and then fail. Curious if anyone has been successful at this. Thanks
OOPS, my bad. ... And: more on Yamaha voice control support.

Unsure if MusicCast will even respond to the Google Assistant on, say, a Google Home, Home Hub, etc. Perhaps on the same device that Google and MusicCAst are installed on, with Tasker or other scripting apps. I don't use MusicCast, only Assistant, Homes, Chromecasts, etc.

If you're unsuccessful, see if IFTTT will work with MusicCast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the Yamaha a3080 when adding a power amp to control the main L & R speakers do you need to change any settings on the AVR on just plug and play?
I was having a look at the manual but could not get anything from it... my speaker system is set the basic.

Love movies, love cinema, love sound and THX accredited.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3080 and Sony BDPS790

We recently upgraded to the 3080 from a 3900. We added a new Panasonic 4K Blu-ray but wanted to keep using the Sony to play SACDs. I've tried every configuration / menu option I can think of on both the 3080 and the Sony, but while I can get video there is no audio. Tried switching HDMI inputs, cables etc. with no success. Even tried an older Sony Blu-ray but can't get it to work, either. (They both worked on the 3900.) Any ideas on what I'm missing?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a quick one... why run YPAO again? Just for my knowledge.
Every time you make a substantive change to any of your system's components, you should re-run YPAO. Changing speakers, changing the position of speakers, changing a pre-amp or receiver, changing or adding an external amp, changes to the environment in your listening room (carpeting, new sofa, etc) are all reasons you should re-run YPAO. Because you are modifying the properties of the sound by changing the equipment or you're changing the acoustics of your listening room, you should run YPAO.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Nice bit of hyperbole.

There's like 5 guys on this entire thread that reported the issue. FIVE. Lol. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the Yamaha a3080 when adding a power amp to control the main L & R speakers do you need to change any settings on the AVR on just plug and play?
I was having a look at the manual but could not get anything from it... my speaker system is set the basic.

Love movies, love cinema, love sound and THX accredited.
That's exactly what I have been wondering since I bought my 2080 a couple of weeks ago. I use an external amp for my front speakers. Thanks for asking ...
You should re-run YPAO, that's all.
...and thanks for the answer :)

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A6003 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also have a friend who bought a 2080 earlier this year. It had the loud pops and after checking this forum, I told him to use Straight instead of AI or Auto and there has been no popping since. Told him to contact Yamaha but I don't think he has yet. Country: Australia

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to add another data point: I bought a 3080 in early May. I was also getting an occasional popping noise. Mine seemed to only happen when turning off the unit while audio was still playing via internal TV app (via CEC or whatever), not during programs. Tried disconnecting all speakers but center and could still reproduce it (though not 100% ... maybe 40%).

I was also getting .5 second audio drop outs sometimes that I couldn't figure out. I was using ARC. I finally tried switching out the HDMI cable connected to the ARC input. It was an older one that still said "High Speed" for an Ultra High Speed one. This allowed me to switch to eARC which had been disabled in TV settings earlier (I did not realize there was a different setting).

Also after browsing this thread, I also stopped using AI surround and surround auto. I have yet to hear any popping. I'm not sure if it was the cable or the mode settings. Will update if I end up trying AI surround again and hear it. Have not had it checked out by Yamaha either.

·
Super Moderator
17,795 Posts
Bickering removed. Discuss the topic and not each other.

Questions or comments should be PM'd to me. Don't post those here.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm also getting popping with my 3080, but it's different than the popping reported by others. I get a loud pop upon first turning on the amp - not right when turning it on, but about 3 secs layer, when you can normally hear the small click when the amp turns on internally. This is accompanied by a loud pop through my speakers. If I turn it off, then back on immediately, there is no pop. If it's off for a few hours or more, then it will pop when turned on again. So I just leave it on all the time. Interestingly, it did NOT do this for the first few months I had it.

2341 - 2360 of 2711 Posts