AVS Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2708 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
You also have the new Yamaha's coming out. Along with Denon and Maratz.....
Yes, but I just want to know if dolby has put a restriction, then even the future AVR will be tied down. Remember how the Netflix button now haunts the shield remotes?

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I always used Straight for Atmos/DTS:X tracks. I was told to use Sur.Decodes - D.Surround for Atmos & Neutral:X for DTS:X tracks. What kind of tracks we normally use AI?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I always used Straight for Atmos/DTS:X tracks. I was told to use Sur.Decodes - D.Surround for Atmos & Neutral:X for DTS:X tracks. What kind of tracks we normally use AI?
"Straight" mode? I'd have assumed pure direct but this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Generally my avr stays in Surr Auto and it decipher and decides what and how to decode. Though at times in an action movie with a lot of high level action I've replayed the atmos tracks with dts decoder. Not always, but sounds like a different movie.
Easier way still to realize how different the 2 modes are, I'd suggest finding atmos and dts version of Trinnov demo video of both the formats. They couldn't sound more apart.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd suggest finding atmos and dts version of Trinnov demo video of both the formats. They couldn't sound more apart.
Can you please share a place/location from where to get/download the mentioned videos with the respective sound formats?

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
"Straight" mode? I'd have assumed pure direct but this is the first time I'm hearing of this. Generally my avr stays in Surr Auto and it decipher and decides what and how to decode. Though at times in an action movie with a lot of high level action I've replayed the atmos tracks with dts decoder. Not always, but sounds like a different movie.
Easier way still to realize how different the 2 modes are, I'd suggest finding atmos and dts version of Trinnov demo video of both the formats. They couldn't sound more apart.

Pure direct & Straight got different buttons on remote. I assume pure direct is for music? I set the Surr. auto for receiver to chose based on Dolby/DTS tracks. I am under impression Atmos/DTSX tracks doesn't need extra processing and setting in Straight is best. I am interested to see members opinion on best setting for Atmos?DTS:X.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Pure direct & Straight got different buttons on remote. I assume pure direct is for music? I set the Surr. auto for receiver to chose based on Dolby/DTS tracks. I am under impression Atmos/DTSX tracks doesn't need extra processing and setting in Straight is best. I am interested to see members opinion on best setting for Atmos?DTS:X.
I know the difference between the 2 modes and buttons. Just never thought or read about it this way. I'll probably give it a shot next time I pop in a UHD

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I just setup an external 3 channel amplifier to power my fronts and center channel in yamaha 2080. Im running a 5.1.4 setup with front presence and rear presence speakers along with surrounds, front left and right ,center and a subwoofer. Im using the basic speaker configuration in one zone. I ran YAPO and everything works and sounds fine but when I look at the power amp configuration setup page it says Im not using any external amps but I am for fronts and center connected to amp with preouts from receiver.The front left and right and center speakers are now connected to my power amp. Is there something I need to do to tell the receiver that Im using an external amp? Ive never run an external amp before and I thought the receiver would automatically detect it but it isn't telling me that on the amp configuration page. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just setup an external 3 channel amplifier to power my fronts and center channel in yamaha 2080. Im running a 5.1.4 setup with front presence and rear presence speakers along with surrounds, front left and right ,center and a subwoofer. Im using the basic speaker configuration in one zone. I ran YAPO and everything works and sounds fine but when I look at the power amp configuration setup page it says Im not using any external amps but I am for fronts and center connected to amp with preouts from receiver.The front left and right and center speakers are now connected to my power amp. Is there something I need to do to tell the receiver that Im using an external amp? Ive never run an external amp before and I thought the receiver would automatically detect it but it isn't telling me that on the amp configuration page. thanks for your help.
Okay, I don't know much about this, but when I first bought my Outlaw 5000 amp that powers all five of my speakers in a 5.1 setup, I looked under Power Amp Assign in the Settings Menu and under External Amp, it also says NONE, despite the fact that I'm using one (and it's clearly working).

When I had Jeff Meier out to calibrate my old Yamaha 1050 (which also showed this), he explained to me what it meant, but I don't remember. The menu of my 1080 also shows that I'm not using an external amp, even though I am. I think it had something to do with if you're running a second zone? I dunno.

I'd be curious to know this as well.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Okay, I don't know much about this, but when I first bought my Outlaw 5000 amp that powers all five of my speakers in a 5.1 setup, I looked under Power Amp Assign in the Settings Menu and under External Amp, it also says NONE, despite the fact that I'm using one (and it's clearly working).

When I had Jeff Meier out to calibrate my old Yamaha 1050 (which also showed this), he explained to me what it meant, but I don't remember. The menu of my 1080 also shows that I'm not using an external amp, even though I am. I think it had something to do with if you're running a second zone? I dunno.

I'd be curious to know this as well.
Thanks for the reply.Knowing you see this odd no amp recognition puts my mind at ease.I guess its just some Yamaha quirk. At least everything works the way it should.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yamaha sent me a new A2080 receiver under warranty as my original popped badly. Had this one 3 weeks, not a single pop so far... fingers crossed. But I have a different question.

I'm running 7.2.2, with sony SS-CSE speakers sitting on top of my mains for the ATMOS height. When I run the 2018 ATMOS demo disc, they play fine in the demos, at least I think they do, but when I go to the test tones, they don't play. I get tones from my main L & R when it says it's playing the height speakers? I believe I have everything hooked up correctly, and am not using the rear height jacks for anything. When I run the test tones on the receiver, they work fine. Not sure what's happening.

·
Registered
583 Posts
@chiefp & @Felix_ro

by the way no one answered me : since you read extensively about the pop "issue" do the 1080 also suffer from this or is it the 2080 and 3080 only ???

from what i gather this yamaha pop issue is on all continents and no mater the manufacturing year....is is a shame! these yamaha are top of the line and have the aventage LOGO that should proof RELIABILTY and high quality components ! yamaha says so....

REALLY hope this does not happen to me when i get the unit....
but of couse when i read DENON forums; lots of people complaining about reliability/heat etc...including on the recent 500 and 600 series !:eek:

last question to ALL

denon x3600 vs yamaha a1080/2080 ? has anyone tested both ? these are the 2 champs (price quality too)....and 99% of users/reviews says DENON wins hands down....
i opted for yamaha because of the reliability; but this POP issue could be a HUGE PROBLEM

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
@chiefp & @Felix_ro

by the way no one answered me : since you read extensively about the pop "issue" do the 1080 also suffer from this or is it the 2080 and 3080 only ???

from what i gather this yamaha pop issue is on all continents and no mater the manufacturing year....is is a shame! these yamaha are top of the line and have the aventage LOGO that should proof RELIABILTY and high quality components ! yamaha says so....

but of couse when i read DENON forums; lots of people complaining about reliability/heat etc...including on the recent 500 and 600 series !:eek:

last question to ALL

denon x3600 vs yamaha a1080/2080 ? has anyone tested both ? these are the 2 champs (price quality too)....and 99% of users/reviews says DENON wins hands down....
i opted for yamaha because of the reliability; but this POP issue could be a HUGE PROBLEM
Good luck with your Yamaha. I have three 2018 model year Yamahas, a 2080, 3080, and 5200 and none of them have ever had the popping issue. Hopefully your's won't either.

Reactions: nenito2k

·
Registered
118 Posts
@chiefp & @Felix_ro

last question to ALL

I think you miss-read and misunderstood our post here regarding the POPING

Here's a short resume:
- JUST SOME units of the Avantage series produce this POPPING and ONLY in specific situations (using "Auto" and/or "AI")
- ONLY the units that were produced after October 2019 (or better yet, purchased after November 2019) are showing this
- happened for units from Europe and USA
- nobody with an 1080 unit come here to say it is happening or not, therefore we can't tell you this
- someone with an CX-A5100 also had such issues after a firmware update, despite the unit being older and worked flawlessly before
- mine and others done POP's even when nothing was playing at that specific moment (for example, while swapping disks)

Overall, I think is quite safe to say that ALL OF US that got Avantage models from Yamaha are quite happy with them, and this models are VERY GOOD BUILDS and RELIABLE (I am at the second one, after having several years the 2040 model).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yamaha sent me a new A2080 receiver under warranty as my original popped badly. Had this one 3 weeks, not a single pop so far... fingers crossed. But I have a different question.

I'm running 7.2.2, with sony SS-CSE speakers sitting on top of my mains for the ATMOS height. When I run the 2018 ATMOS demo disc, they play fine in the demos, at least I think they do, but when I go to the test tones, they don't play. I get tones from my main L & R when it says it's playing the height speakers? I believe I have everything hooked up correctly, and am not using the rear height jacks for anything. When I run the test tones on the receiver, they work fine. Not sure what's happening.
For Atmos to be properly decoded you need to use the "Surround Decoder" function (the button „SUR. DECODE” on remote) or "Auto" or "AI".

I found most useful for properly connecting the speakers (and devices too) the Yamaha's AV Setup Guide app.

For specifically testing about the POP's I recommend using either "Auto" or "AI" options, for at least few (several) hours of continuous watching, preferably Atmos content, and if no POP's are "presenting" in this time, can be a good sign; yet, those POP's can appear also after some more time, after watching several weeks, or even months. I think if I recall correctly, none of us got POP's before we had the units for at least 2-3 months, and made at least one firmware update.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For Atmos to be properly decoded you need to use the "Surround Decoder" function (the button „SUR. DECODE” on remote) or "Auto" or "AI".

I found most useful for properly connecting the speakers (and devices too) the Yamaha's AV Setup Guide app.

For specifically testing about the POP's I recommend using either "Auto" or "AI" options, for at least few (several) hours of continuous watching, preferably Atmos content, and if no POP's are "presenting" in this time, can be a good sign; yet, those POP's can appear also after some more time, after watching several weeks, or even months. I think if I recall correctly, none of us got POP's before we had the units for at least 2-3 months, and made at least one firmware update.
I have it set for auto decode and will be leaving AI off. I'd really like to know why I'm not getting test tones from my atmos speakers.

For the pop, yes, mine was similar to others. I had no problems for about a month, with limited usage. When the popping started, it never stopped (happened about every 1.5 hours or so). I sent it in for warranty repair, it came back with "can't reproduce issue" and it was exactly the same. Called Yamaha back and they replaced it. Before sending it in, I took advice I got here and changed to NTS decoding and it didn't pop. The new one I received did download a firmware update when I set it up, but no pops...yet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey guys, so I have decided to get a Yamaha A2080 after my long debate between Marantz, Denon or Yamaha of same caliber.

But before I purchase, I wanted to clarify some things. Whats the deal with something called "Presence Speakers" on the back and not "Height" Chanels ? Same thing ? Or ? I'm looking to do 5.1.4 Atmos and don't want any restrictions.

Next - about the Pops. Seems very frustrating. Now to know I need to hurry up and do just the right thing for hours/weeks/months to see if my unit is faulty is definitely discouraging. I don't have much time to do stuff like that, and from what I know I don't even have any Atmos material to test with immediately. Unit will mainly be used with PC for gaming in a gaming room.

Please advise, maybe the Marantz SR6014 is a better choice for me ? Funny, my final deciding factor was looks, as everything else seemed so even between the two. lol So my decision was not based on anything other than that.

For me, Marantz used to definitely be known for better tone, higher quality components, etc.. but I believe that ship sailed in the late 90's once manufacturing went to Japan. BUT Japan is still better than China, like, light years better - soooooo ??? What to do ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
@chiefp @Felix_ro

tnaks for the input....will take the plunge in the next few weeks and keep you posted....god willing

@JoelxD

from many many lectures i have had....in every single PRO. review the MARANZ 6014 and DENON X3600 always bested the yamahas 1080/2080 in music, voices, and subwoofer...plus prices are much lower.

i have not encountered a single person on any forum that told me othewise (aside from a couple thta said they are as good as each other).

the only advantage yamaha HAS it seems...is still RELIABILITY and runs much cooler than the other models...
hope this helps

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have it set for auto decode and will be leaving AI off. I'd really like to know why I'm not getting test tones from my atmos speakers.

For the pop, yes, mine was similar to others. I had no problems for about a month, with limited usage. When the popping started, it never stopped (happened about every 1.5 hours or so). I sent it in for warranty repair, it came back with "can't reproduce issue" and it was exactly the same. Called Yamaha back and they replaced it. Before sending it in, I took advice I got here and changed to NTS decoding and it didn't pop. The new one I received did download a firmware update when I set it up, but no pops...yet.
I'm a little puzzled about what exactly "test tones" are you referring to.
If you'll going to describe a little more precise what you're doing and what you're hopping to hear/reproduce, we might be a better help if will better understand you.

2401 - 2420 of 2708 Posts