AVS Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2885 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have in fact been putting it on the couch at ear level, didn't even think about the couch absorbing some of the energy. Guess I'll have to get a camera tripod and redo it.

As far as the center goes, the 880 also tested 2db hot, so it must be either my setup, or Yamaha is purposely running it hot. The only reason I say that last part, reading through the 880 thread, there were a lot of people complaining about a soft center channel. Not sure how much more or less sensitive the center is, they are SVS speakers, towers and the matching center speaker. I actually prefer to place the center speaker under the tv on an angled stand, and it sits about a foot closer to me than the mains. I find this setup, at least to me, the center tends to blend in better and is less easily localized.
Prime or Ultra center? The Prime center is less sensitive than their other Prime brothers (towers and bookshelfs). I know this because I once too had the Prime center used with the A850, which is basically the same receiver as the A880 sans DTSX support. In this case, the Prime center always does run hotter than the L/R mains.

As for the Ultra center, SVS rates them the same sensitivity but IME - they're not either. The reason for this is because SVS seems to have underrated the sensitivity of their Towers and Bookshelfs as well, the 88db/1m is really more like 90db actually. And one last thing of note, the Ultra speakers are really 4ohm speakers, NOT 8ohms as advertised by SVS. Yamaha receivers do not do well with 4ohm loads, especially not the 880.

Here are super in depth scientific measurements of the Ultras if you want to learn more - SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

·
Registered
18 Posts
Prime or Ultra center? The Prime center is less sensitive than their other Prime brothers (towers and bookshelfs). I know this because I once too had the Prime center used with the A850, which is basically the same receiver as the A880 sans DTSX support. In this case, the Prime center always does run hotter than the L/R mains.

As for the Ultra center, SVS rates them the same sensitivity but IME - they're not either. The reason for this is because SVS seems to have underrated the sensitivity of their Towers and Bookshelfs as well, the 88db/1m is really more like 90db actually. And one last thing of note, the Ultra speakers are really 4ohm speakers, NOT 8ohms as advertised by SVS. Yamaha receivers do not do well with 4ohm loads, especially not the 880.

Here are super in depth scientific measurements of the Ultras if you want to learn more - SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review
Not sure they're either, as these were some of the first offerings from SVS, purchased and picked in 2009. I could be wrong, but I don't remember them being called either of that. 11 years later and still going strong though.

Couple of questions about YPAO. Picked up a camera stand over the weekend, and when measure multiple spots, are they taken at where people may sit? The manual kind of shows something different, like 5 spots, but all of them close together. Also, for the height/angle measurement, where is that taken at? 1st initial spot of testing? Also, what does YPAO volume even do? I notice a slight difference when turning it on, but nothing substantial.

I wish you could tell it to set the speakers to small when running YPAO, as well as set the crossovers. I know you can go back and change them, but would think it would have more accurate results if you could set them before hand.

·
Registered
15,934 Posts
. . . when measure multiple spots, are they taken at where people may sit? The manual kind of shows something different, like 5 spots, but all of them close together.
If your goal is the best possible sound for a single listener then put the mic in a tight area around the single listener but with slight variations of at least a few inches but no more than a foot.

If your goal is the best possible sound for a group of listeners then put the mic at each listening position.

Reactions: huey645

·
Registered
15,934 Posts
Also, for the height/angle measurement, where is that taken at? 1st initial spot of testing?
Yes. At least that's my understanding.

YPAO volume varies the sound's tonal balance based on the level. The generic term is "variable loudness compensation". Based on Fletcher-Munon curves, the bass is boosted (and to a smaller degree the treble) the quieter the music/movie gets.

In theory this will make the sound pleasingly fuller and richer when listened to at quieter levels.
. . . But should have little effect at louder levels.

Reactions: huey645

·
Registered
15,934 Posts
deleted duplicate post

·
Vendor
27,443 Posts
Keep in mind, a pro calibrator will set it up as he/she sees fit. Tweaking is always required to fit "personal" taste.
True but a good calibrator will ask what you think, you could also call or email and he could probably tell you what to adjust if you see something down the road.....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not sure they're either, as these were some of the first offerings from SVS, purchased and picked in 2009. I could be wrong, but I don't remember them being called either of that. 11 years later and still going strong though.

Couple of questions about YPAO. Picked up a camera stand over the weekend, and when measure multiple spots, are they taken at where people may sit? The manual kind of shows something different, like 5 spots, but all of them close together. Also, for the height/angle measurement, where is that taken at? 1st initial spot of testing? Also, what does YPAO volume even do? I notice a slight difference when turning it on, but nothing substantial.

I wish you could tell it to set the speakers to small when running YPAO, as well as set the crossovers. I know you can go back and change them, but would think it would have more accurate results if you could set them before hand.
Ah okay, those were the first set of SVS speakers from long ago. Not too sure on their specs for those and SVS seems to have all but denied they ever made those speakers for some odd reason.

Anyways to answer your questions;

- YPAO measurements should be taken in a tight spot around your couch, NOT exactly where people sit.

This means that the FIRST location to measure should be the very middle of your couch, mic at ear height pointed straight towards the ceiling (this is important, make sure it's not tilted forward or backwards, STRAIGHT up is the only position the mic should be in). The next 2 locations should be directly the left and right from the first location, within 2 feet of distance max. Make sure to keep the distance of the mic from the back rest exactly the same for these 3 spots.

Next 3 spots is simple enough, mimic the same locations you measured for the first 3 but instead now the mic going much closer to the back rest of the couch, to perhaps like 2 inches off it. The last 2 positions don't really matter in my experience, you could skip it if you want. Usually I just put them within the center seating position, left and right of it about half foot infront off the center.

YPAO volume is basically a variable loudness compensation that happens automatically when the volume is below -20db. Beyond that, there is next to no effect as YPAO volume practically disengages itself. You can turn it on if you want, doesn't really harm anything. It's subtle and barely noticeable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys for the answers. Helps a lot with setting things up, and I'll redo the calibration when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the 3080. When I go into Sound menu: DSP parameters, Surround decoder and 9Ch stereo are grayed out and are unavailable. AI is also unavailable. Why is that?

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I have the 3080. When I go into Sound menu: DSP parameters, Surround decoder and 9Ch stereo are grayed out and are unavailable. AI is also unavailable. Why is that?
What is your input source? What is the signal format?

·
Registered
15,934 Posts
Are you in Pure Direct mode? That locks out a bunch of stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Recalibrated using the suggested method here, and it was pretty close to perfect when done. I only had to tweak levels only slightly, and only on a couple of speakers. Even the mains were only .4 of a foot in difference, which I just averaged to get the best stereo image.

Weird thing though, was listening to some Pink Floyd later that night in 2 channel, and hitting the pure direct button, and the soundstage collapsed somewhat. Not sure what could be different or even where to check. It's not a big problem, just surprised at it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Recalibrated using the suggested method here, and it was pretty close to perfect when done. I only had to tweak levels only slightly, and only on a couple of speakers. Even the mains were only .4 of a foot in difference, which I just averaged to get the best stereo image.

Weird thing though, was listening to some Pink Floyd later that night in 2 channel, and hitting the pure direct button, and the soundstage collapsed somewhat. Not sure what could be different or even where to check. It's not a big problem, just surprised at it.
For whatever reason, everytime I disable YPAO by going into pure direct, everything in the soundstage collapses and everything sounds dull, muffled and lifeless. This only every happens with Yamaha receivers.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
For whatever reason, everytime I disable YPAO by going into pure direct, everything in the soundstage collapses and everything sounds dull, muffled and lifeless. This only every happens with Yamaha receivers.
YPAO behind the scenes does time domain correction..
This will give a better focased image and soundstage...

When you bypass YPAO this hidden correction is now deactivated.. Hence the narrow soundstage and not as clean sound...

People think YPAO does only eq, but there a lot more going on in background we can't touch or see.

It even before eq, cuts peaks in room with filters... Again we can't see this magic happen..

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
With my old 1900, I actually found a problem by enabling pure direct, as in I had changed the distance of one of the fronts by a foot. Not sure what is different about the 2080, but after running YPAO the last time, something about pure direct seems off. And I have all of the bells and whistles turned off, including YPAO sounds.

·
Registered
15,934 Posts
"Pure Direct" deactivates so many things at once that it's hard for anyone evaluating it by ear to properly assess exactly why they've heard a change. Sure you'll find lots of people who insist otherwise and make claims like "Boy their digital DAC and ADC chips sure have rotten sound because I can hear an improvement when they are bypassed.", but what they fail to understand is that even with every single circuit turned "off" there is often still a small level change when invoking "Pure Direct" and we know from research that humans often accidentaly misconstrue small level changes as qualitative differences when in truth they aren't.

This is a classic ploy used by unscrupulous audio gear retailers: they ever so slightly increase the volume of the device they want to push (say by a tiny fraction of a dB) when in truth it doesn't sound different at all. They then sit the customer down in the listening chair and hand them an A/B comparator button to listen to the two devices and the consumer, being a human being, will inevitably claim they hear a difference in the sound even though in truth it is just a change in level. It is an uncanny illusion and knowledge this illusion exists does not make one immune to it as many will claim.

Another trick they can use is to take advantage that consumers (and even many if not most professional audio magazine reviewers) don't realize that not all DACs, optical disc players, etc. spit out the exact same level, even when the rudimentary spec sheet claims the exact same, say, 2.0 V RMS output level. When you actually measure it you often find it strays from that value sometimes considerably.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change the front speakers on a 1080 from large to small? I tried searching but haven't had any success.
I'm using Def Tech BP2006 fronts that have woofers in them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have had several Yamahas and Pure Direct sounded dull always. But now I have a Marantz and it is the same. Soundstage constrains. But I have added a decent power amp (NAD C275) and pure direct is much better. Nevertheless I prefer to engage EQ (YPAO and now Audyssey) for music

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had several Yamahas and Pure Direct sounded dull always. But now I have a Marantz and it is the same. Soundstage constrains. But I have added a decent power amp (NAD C275) and pure direct is much better. Nevertheless I prefer to engage EQ (YPAO and now Audyssey) for music
Strange, I find pure direct sound great on my Focal Aria 936. I even skipped YPAO / PEQ and entered distance and level manually.

Ok sometimes I switch between 0 and +2 treble. But just because I like some extra hights. But even without it sounds great.

My only problem is lack of kicking bass in 2.0. I really need a sub to fill that in. Not sure what the issue is or maybe I'm expecting more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to change the front speakers on a 1080 from large to small? I tried searching but haven't had any success.
I'm using Def Tech BP2006 fronts that have woofers in them.

Thanks.
Choose speakers at the main menu, then choose configuration, and then choose fronts. First choice gives you the option of large, small or none I believe. At least that's how it is on my 2080, and it was the same way on the 880 I had briefly.

2701 - 2720 of 2885 Posts