AVS Forum banner

2721 - 2740 of 2890 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Choose speakers at the main menu, then choose configuration, and then choose fronts. First choice gives you the option of large, small or none I believe. At least that's how it is on my 2080, and it was the same way on the 880 I had briefly.
Thanks! Couldn't find it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I'm going to give this one shot at trying to understand this :)
I used REW (tested) and got a Filters file. See image "Filters".
How do i apply this to my RX-A3080?
See Image "Yamaha PEQ"
The filters show Frequencies from 20 to 1,290.. 12 in total. The Yamaha PEQ has 7. Even if you go and Band 1 for example that shows 125, and try to go up or down, you will never get 92.90
So, how do you do this? I thought you could upload the correction filters into the RX-A3080. Is that possible? And if yes, how..

As hard as i try, i don't have hours and hours to pore over every detail and work thru every nuance of this. Too many other things to do. If there is no easy way to do this, I'll just give up and use YPOA again, (it detects all my speakers as "Large", I'll change to "Small" and use my SPL to match all channels to my Front Left with 75db as reference test tone volume, and just boost the Centre channel by 2db for better dialogue. That's it).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can unravel this for me.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Hi, I'm going to give this one shot at trying to understand this :)
I used REW (tested) and got a Filters file. See image "Filters".
How do i apply this to my RX-A3080?
See Image "Yamaha PEQ"
The filters show Frequencies from 20 to 1,290.. 12 in total. The Yamaha PEQ has 7. Even if you go and Band 1 for example that shows 125, and try to go up or down, you will never get 92.90
So, how do you do this? I thought you could upload the correction filters into the RX-A3080. Is that possible? And if yes, how..

As hard as i try, i don't have hours and hours to pore over every detail and work thru every nuance of this. Too many other things to do. If there is no easy way to do this, I'll just give up and use YPOA again, (it detects all my speakers as "Large", I'll change to "Small" and use my SPL to match all channels to my Front Left with 75db as reference test tone volume, and just boost the Centre channel by 2db for better dialogue. That's it).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can unravel this for me.

View attachment 3026424 View attachment 3026425
On my cheap Yammy AVR's remote:

On screen,
Setup,
Manual Setup,
Parametric EQ,
select Manual,
select speaker,
select Band number using L/R arrows,
settle on one of them, say Band #1, and leave it highlighted in green (I assume they use the same color on all models),
HIT ENTER repeatedly to toggle between Band, Frequency, and Q (the bandwidth of the adjustment),
settle on the word Frequency and they use the L/R arrows to select a frequency,

Use the up/down arrows to select the gain/cut.

Use "return" to back out of adjustments made to the previous screen.

The Subwoofer channel gets 4 Bands in total with frequency choices of 15.6Hz, 19.7, 24.8, 31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5, 78.7, 99.2, 125, 157.5, 198.4, and 250Hz.

The Front L (and I assume others) get 7 Bands total and can be adjusted over a differing range per Band number. Lower Band numbers are better for a full range of choices, 31 of them I believe, from 15.6Hz to 16kHz. High Band numbers (at least number 7 which I checked) are limited to upper frequencies only (16 or so choices from 500Hz to a max of 16kHz). In theory the number of options could vary based on how much adjustments have been done in other bands. That is, their processor may have a limited memory and can't quite deal with a complex use of all 7 bands, in all channels, and the 4 extra ones for the sub. It would have to be tested. [Just a theoretical warning. I have no evidence it works this way.]

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
On my cheap Yammy AVR's remote:

On screen,
Setup,
Manual Setup,
Parametric EQ,
select Manual,
select speaker,
select Band number using L/R arrows,
settle on one of them, say Band #1, and leave it highlighted in green (I assume they use the same color on all models),
HIT ENTER repeatedly to toggle between Band, Frequency, and Q (the bandwidth of the adjustment),
settle on the word Frequency and they use the L/R arrows to select a frequency,

Use the up/down arrows to select the gain/cut.

The Subwoofer channel gets 4 Bands in total and frequencies of 15.6Hz, 19.7, 24.8,
31.3, 39.4, 49.6, 62.5, 78.7, 99.2, 125, 157.5, 198.4, and 250Hz.

The Front L (and I assume others) get 7 Bands total and can be adjusted over a differing range per Band number. Lower Band numbers are better for a full range of choices, 31 of them I believe, from 15.6Hz 16kHz. High Band numbers (at least number 7 which I checked) are limited to upper frequencies only (16 or so choices from 500Hz to a max of 16kHz).
NOTE YOU MAY NEED YO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE TO THE LATEST TO HAVE ALL THESE RANGES. Earlier firmwares didn't go as low, down to 15.6Hz, as I understand it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here's one guy's review of the 3080:

He’s in love. If he ever makes it to Tokyo a glass of sake waiting for him at Yamaha HQ.

·
Vendor
27,516 Posts
Thanks guys for the answers. Helps a lot with setting things up, and I'll redo the calibration when I get home tonight.
If you feel your calibration is off, you can hire a pro to come and do it. He will not be using Yamaha's system. It is amazing what a pro can do for your audio. Not everyone listed does audio below, but I know Chad B does.

Chad B : [email protected]
D-Nice : [email protected]
Gregg Loewen : [email protected]
Kris Deering [email protected]

If all else fails master list :

<<< Click Here >>>

<<< Click Here >>>

·
Registered
24 Posts
NOTE YOU MAY NEED YO UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE TO THE LATEST TO HAVE ALL THESE RANGES. Earlier firmwares didn't go as low, down to 15.6Hz, as I understand it.
Thank you all for your responses. I'll give it a shot with the notes I've made. Cheers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you feel your calibration is off, you can hire a pro to come and do it. He will not be using Yamaha's system. It is amazing what a pro can do for your audio. Not everyone listed does audio below, but I know Chad B does.

Chad B : [email protected]
D-Nice : [email protected]
Gregg Loewen : [email protected]
Kris Deering [email protected]

If all else fails master list :

<<< Click Here >>>

<<< Click Here >>>
Thanks for the list. Actually pretty happy with the way the most recent calibration turned out, especially after getting help from people on here. The only thing I could improve on, is to add my sms-1 back into the mix. Took it out when I first installed the new receiver, couldn't find the instructions, and the pictures I took didn't tell me exactly how to hook it up. Other than that, I'm very happy with the way the new receiver sounds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Anyone else have an issue where the RX-A1080 doesn't "see" two subwoofers? I have a sub in each of my Def Tech BP2006 speakers and I have one plugged into each subwoofer out on the receiver. In setup it only shows one sub.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Anyone else have an issue where the RX-A1080 doesn't "see" two subwoofers? I have a sub in each of my Def Tech BP2006 speakers and I have one plugged into each subwoofer out on the receiver. In setup it only shows one sub.
Assuming they have an "auto on vs sleep mode" function is it possibe during the YPAO mic calibration one of them didn't wake up in time so YPAO didn't hear it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Assuming they have an "auto on vs sleep mode" function is it possibe during the YPAO mic calibration one of them didn't wake up in time so YPAO didn't hear it?
Ok. I'll try it again.

I should note that when I do the "test" tone, both subs play at the same time.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Ok. I'll try it again.

I should note that when I do the "test" tone, both subs play at the same time.
That sounds to me like the Yamaha is set in advance to think there will only be one sub so it sends the signal to both outs.

Some AVRs with two sub out ports don't actually ever send a different signal. It is like having a Y-cable splitting one out into two. Not sure about how yours works.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That sounds to me like the Yamaha is set in advance to think there will only be one sub so it sends the signal to both outs.

Some AVRs with two sub out ports don't actually ever send a different signal. It is like having a Y-cable splitting one out into two. Not sure about how yours works.
Ah. I guess the question is has anyone ever seen 2 subs listed in the picture of the setup in settings or does it always look like one?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe you have one of the subs as none in the speaker menu? Mine only shows sub 2 on the screen since I have sub1 turned off.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
By my read of the manual I just did, the 1080 does not have two, true, independent sub outs. It has two jacks but they are effectively just an internal Y-cable split, i.e. the same signal.

Yamahas with two true independent sub outs will have a setup page asking, a paraphrased: "Are the subs stereophonic, L and R? Are they for front channels vs surrounds? Are they dual mono but independently controlled?"

That last option is almost always the way to go, by the way.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Maybe you have one of the subs as none in the speaker menu? Mine only shows sub 2 on the screen since I have sub1 turned off.
I bet you don't have a RXA1080 though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
By my read of the manual I just did, the 1080 does not have two, true, independent sub outs. It has two jacks but they are effectively just an internal Y-cable split, i.e. the same signal.

Yamahas with two true independent sub outs will have a setup page asking, a paraphrased: "Are the subs stereophonic, L and R? Are they for front channels vs surrounds? Are they dual mono but independently controlled?"

That last option is almost always the way to go, by the way.
Ah thanks for that. I'm not sure if this is a dumb question ---- If I'm playing music, will the subs act appropriately if all the low end is sent to both speakers exactly the same (not really in stereo because it basically sends the same thing to both)? Does that make sense?

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Ah thanks for that. I'm not sure if this is a dumb question ---- If I'm playing music, will the subs act appropriately if all the low end is sent to both speakers exactly the same (not really in stereo because it basically sends the same thing to both)? Does that make sense?
Personally I'm not a believer in there being any audible benefit to stereophonic subs when using a typical crossover frequency of 80Hz or lower.

What you have now should be quite capable of good sound, although if you wanted more "oomph" you could optionally experiment with raising the Yamaha's sub level out 3 to 6 dB or so [Don't go too far though or male voices will sound like Darth Vader!]

You, of all people, are least likely to benefit from two distinct sub outs because your two subs are already naturally at the same distance to your listening position so there's little need for independent controls for "distance".

·
Registered
507 Posts
Personally I'm not a believer in there being any audible benefit to stereophonic subs when using a typical crossover frequency of 80Hz or lower.

What you have now should be quite capable of good sound, although if you wanted more "oomph" you could optionally experiment with raising the Yamaha's sub level out 3 to 6 dB or so [Don't go too far though or male voices will sound like Darth Vader!]

You, of all people, are least likely to benefit from two distinct sub outs because your two subs are already naturally at the same distance to your listening position so there's little need for independent controls for "distance".
Awesome. Thanks.

2721 - 2740 of 2890 Posts