AVS Forum banner

2741 - 2760 of 2883 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
"Pure Direct" deactivates so many things at once that it's hard for anyone evaluating it by ear to properly assess exactly why they've heard a change. Sure you'll find lots of people who insist otherwise and make claims like "Boy their digital DAC and ADC chips sure have rotten sound because I can hear an improvement when they are bypassed.", but what they fail to understand is that even with every single circuit turned "off" there is often still a small level change when invoking "Pure Direct" and we know from research that humans often accidentaly misconstrue small level changes as qualitative differences when in truth they aren't.

This is a classic ploy used by unscrupulous audio gear retailers: they ever so slightly increase the volume of the device they want to push (say by a tiny fraction of a dB) when in truth it doesn't sound different at all. They then sit the customer down in the listening chair and hand them an A/B comparator button to listen to the two devices and the consumer, being a human being, will inevitably claim they hear a difference in the sound even though in truth it is just a change in level. It is an uncanny illusion and knowledge this illusion exists does not make one immune to it as many will claim.

Another trick they can use is to take advantage that consumers (and even many if not most professional audio magazine reviewers) don't realize that not all DACs, optical disc players, etc. spit out the exact same level, even when the rudimentary spec sheet claims the exact same, say, 2.0 V RMS output level. When you actually measure it you often find it strays from that value sometimes considerably.
Well, according to ASR - Review and Measurements of Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR

Pure Direct enabled or disabled does nothing for the DAC lol.
All it does is lower noise floor for the amp, slightly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw this review & I am thinking to upgrade my current 1060 to the 2080. But I feel the AVENTAGE has a more solid build than the DENON 3600 & even better sound quality...but i could be biased.

·
Vendor
27,412 Posts
Thanks for the list. Actually pretty happy with the way the most recent calibration turned out, especially after getting help from people on here.
If you ever feel you need to have a update/change and you are thinking speakers or a new receiver, I vote for in home calibration, you would be amazed at how your system "could" have sounded.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Recently and friend (RX-A1080) and I (RX-A3080) have independently noticed infrequent & sporadic episodes where a loud "POP" is heard from the subwoofer channel. This is independent of source or the loudness which is playing at that time. We have both previously owned earlier Yamaha AVRs and have never experienced this issue. Has any other owner following this forum had a similar occurrence? Thanks!

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Well, according to ASR - Review and Measurements of Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR

Pure Direct enabled or disabled does nothing for the DAC lol.
All it does is lower noise floor for the amp, slightly.
His measurements were of digital inputs (see my bold text in quote) hence the signal never had reason to pass through an ADC as analog inputs do (when not using Pure Direct):
"After all, the most common application is HDMI In, speakers out. But let's see how digital input and pre-amp output performs. , , ,"

Bypassing the ADC (when using analog ins) is largely why the noise goes down in Pure Direct mode.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
No, but but I did have a 880 briefly, and I believe it was the same on there as my 2080.
Units with true dual independent sub outs will have diagrams labelled , for example, "5.2.2" whereas others only show "5.1.2" . That middle number is the number of independently controlled subs.

Also the 5.2.2 capable units will have a discussion in the manual on how to configure the two independently controlled subs like this, from the RXA3080 manual I just copied:

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Recently and friend (RX-A1080) and I (RX-A3080) have independently noticed infrequent & sporadic episodes where a loud "POP" is heard from the subwoofer channel. This is independent of source or the loudness which is playing at that time. We have both previously owned earlier Yamaha AVRs and have never experienced this issue. Has any other owner following this forum had a similar occurrence? Thanks!
I have had something like this with my 2080. They've been quite infrequent (once every couple of weeks or so) and started when I added a 2nd subwoofer to setup. It has been sufficiently infrequent and unrelated to what I'm playing at the time, I've mostly just ignored it. Without the ability to reproduce it I find it unlikely I'd ever be able to track down the cause. Note that my 3080 in my den has never done this (and it also has two subs).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
On the Yamaha app, there is an option under Misc that says: "Main Unit Screen - ON or OFF" - Does anyone know what this does? I thought maybe I finally found a way to keep the front display to turn OFF except when you're giving it a command, but nothing happens when I use it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What is everyone using as a universal remote to control their Yamaha receiver and home theater components? I'm especially interested in remotes that allow us to use many of the functions of the receiver (not just turn on/off, volume, etc.). I have an RX-A1080, Sony TV, FireTV, and FIOS box.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
What is everyone using as a universal remote to control their Yamaha receiver and home theater components? I'm especially interested in remotes that allow us to use many of the functions of the receiver (not just turn on/off, volume, etc.). I have an RX-A1080, Sony TV, FireTV, and FIOS box.
I use Roomie Remote for most things related to my home theater control but I also break out the Yamaha app at times.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whoa! I just noticed that MusicCast is only queuing 200 songs from my playlists using Deezer. Is this a limitation of the Yamaha unit? I have playlists of hundreds and sometimes thousands of songs.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

Thanks!
I'm using a Harmony Elite, excellent remote, it works my complete system and more.

Reactions: exander

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone help me to fix one issue with HDMI OUT. I have set 8 scenes and some of them (like Radio, Server, Audio Chromecast) have HDMI OUT set to OFF (just not to bug me with this red blinking notification sign on the display of AV, while listening with turned off TV). The problem now is that if my last scene that I used was let's say Radio or any other that has HDMI OUT set to OFF and now I want to watch video from let's say Video Chromecast, than my receiver won't change input and every time I have to manually press corresponding Scene button in order to turn HDMI OUT ON again.
It seems receiver memorizes last input/scene and if it had HDMI setting set to OFF, next time it won't turn it on and CEC won't work properly.
Is there any way to make receiver turn HDMI ON even if my last source had it set to OFF. I don't want every time to manually press Scene button of "Video Chromecast" if I cast YouTube from my phone.
If last input/scene I have watched was let's say Blu-ray player which has HDMI 1+2 OUT set to ON when it works fine.
I know that workaround would be to make all my scenes with a setting HDMI OUT 1+2, but when I get this annoying blinking red badge if I listen to the source with TV screen turned OFF.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Units with true dual independent sub outs will have diagrams labelled , for example, "5.2.2" whereas others only show "5.1.2" . That middle number is the number of independently controlled subs.

Also the 5.2.2 capable units will have a discussion in the manual on how to configure the two independently controlled subs like this, from the RXA3080 manual I just copied:
View attachment 3027359

I ordered this AV receiver and am trying to get my wires all set up before it comes. The sub parts confuses me still but this helps. Also, on page 32 of the manual for 7.2.2 speaker setup it doesnt have my configuration. It all looks identical except that instead of the 2 front 'presence' speakers I have 2 Atmos speakers in the ceiling.... no picture looks like that , in fact IO could see nothing that spoke of in ceiling atmos speaker setup for this receiver. Will the YPAO and software pick this up and direct sound to the proper channels? Or do I have to start rewiring?

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Will the YPAO and software pick this up and direct sound to the proper channels? Or do I have to start rewiring?
I'm not sure. If this is one that comes with the fancy pyramid shaped mic stand, like their CXA5200 prepro, it may be able to triangulate and figure it out on its own but otherwise you have to go into one of the configuration menus and manually insert where your speakers are.

I'm 99% sure it in some way can deal with a pair of ceiling placed speakers. My cheaper one can but I had to tell it where they are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered this AV receiver and am trying to get my wires all set up before it comes. The sub parts confuses me still but this helps. Also, on page 32 of the manual for 7.2.2 speaker setup it doesnt have my configuration. It all looks identical except that instead of the 2 front 'presence' speakers I have 2 Atmos speakers in the ceiling.... no picture looks like that , in fact IO could see nothing that spoke of in ceiling atmos speaker setup for this receiver. Will the YPAO and software pick this up and direct sound to the proper channels? Or do I have to start rewiring?
I'm not sure what you are asking, but there is an option in the setup menu to tell it where the front presence speakers are, including ceiling mounted. Don't know if the software will automatically set it though.

I gotta say, the longer I have my 2080, the more I like it. Didn't think I would care for the AI, but it does seem to add something positive to the mix. Even 2 channel listening with AI activated, seems pretty good. Not a true surround mix, but just enough that it gives quite a bit of depth to the sound stage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Basically, what I am asking is if my current setup will work. All the options listed in the manual's pictures show 'front presence' speakers actually in front, above the main L R speakers and to either side of the TV (I have large towers) ... however, I do not have these 'front presence speakers' hooked up like this. I have two 8 inch Klipsch in ceiling speakers mounted above and only slightly ahead of the listener for atmos height. If the AV sends a signal meant for right in front of the listener just to either side of the TV as shown... but sends it to over your head it will be weird and useless or worse. The question is does the AV receiver recognoze this or allow for and support this setup or do I need to start rewiring stuff?

2741 - 2760 of 2883 Posts