AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 2885 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I recall reading that an owner or two had to send it in for repair of a specific part? I can't remember. I have a 3080 and haven't experienced any POP, but I also remember someone saying that by listening in "Straight Mode" - which I'm in 99% of the time, it doesn't occur.
FWIW, I almost never listen to my 3080 in "Straight Mode" (usually use DSU) and have never experienced any POPs.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I recall reading that an owner or two had to send it in for repair of a specific part? I can't remember. I have a 3080 and haven't experienced any POP, but I also remember someone saying that by listening in "Straight Mode" - which I'm in 99% of the time, it doesn't occur.
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Recently and friend (RX-A1080) and I (RX-A3080) have independently noticed infrequent & sporadic episodes where a loud "POP" is heard from the subwoofer channel. This is independent of source or the loudness which is playing at that time. We have both previously owned earlier Yamaha AVRs and have never experienced this issue. Has any other owner following this forum had a similar occurrence? Thanks!
As others around here with Yamahas x080's, got POP's in the beginning, until I figured out that on mine, those occurs ONLY when I have activated either the "Auto" on the SUR. DECODE or the AI function.
Watching/listening with any other decoder settings did NOT produced anymore POP-ing.
I usually watch movies/series with the SUR. DECODER on the Neural:X mode and even Atmos sounds little (marginal) better. But you need to circle switch trough (repeated press of the button on remote) SUR. DECODER settings while audio is already playing to actually get the Neutral:X with Atmos (and sometimes it doesn't actually work).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
No pops on my 1080, manufactured in December 2019. Using AI from the start for all video and 2ch stereo for audio
Sent in and had the sound card replaced, after 5 weeks it starting popping again. So have sent back and had receiver replaced with another one. I don't know if this one works only had it for a week. The sound board being replaced did not fix the problem.

·
Vendor
27,443 Posts
Sent in and had the sound card replaced, after 5 weeks it starting popping again. So have sent back and had receiver replaced with another one. I don't know if this one works only had it for a week. The sound board being replaced did not fix the problem.
Hopefully the new unit will be a winner :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
As others around here with Yamahas x080's, got POP's in the beginning, until I figured out that on mine, those occurs ONLY when I have activated either the "Auto" on the SUR. DECODE or the AI function.
Watching/listening with any other decoder settings did NOT produced anymore POP-ing.
I usually watch movies/series with the SUR. DECODER on the Neural:X mode and even Atmos sounds little (marginal) better. But you need to circle switch trough (repeated press of the button on remote) SUR. DECODER settings while audio is already playing to actually get the Neutral:X with Atmos (and sometimes it doesn't actually work).

Hope this helps!

Well as of 20 minutes ago experienced a rather obvious pop at low/moderate level in 2
CH mode fed via Sony XBR65Z9F Android Pandora app . All new equipment & cabling.
Heard this happen twice yesterday but was out of the LR when it happened. Front speakers are DefTech BP9020 set to SMALL with 80 HZ crossover. Switched to same Pandora app on ROKU Ultra to see if it happens again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well as of 20 minutes ago experienced a rather obvious pop at low/moderate level in 2
CH mode fed via Sony XBR65Z9F Android Pandora app . All new equipment & cabling.
Heard this happen twice yesterday but was out of the LR when it happened. Front speakers are DefTech BP9020 set to SMALL with 80 HZ crossover. Switched to same Pandora app on ROKU Ultra to see if it happens again.
I think it doesn't matter what source you use, just what decoder mode you do.
Re-read my message you quoted so that you know what to NOT use do that you don't have POP's.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it doesn't matter what source you use, just what decoder mode you do.
Re-read my message you quoted so that you know what to NOT use do that you don't have POP's.

Hope this helps!
I re-read your post and pardon if I seem a little dense. I was listening in 2 CH Stereo when the POP occurred , SUB DECODE or AI was not engaged. To the best of my knowledge i don't believe that Pandora states that their narrowcast is in Dolby. I have the input source BraviaTV DSP set to Standard unless s source like AMZN Prime Video or NF specifies that 5.1 is in that particular show. Since I don't have ATMOS or presence speakers I wouldn't be using Neural:X in any event.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I re-read your post and pardon if I seem a little dense. I was listening in 2 CH Stereo when the POP occurred , SUB DECODE or AI was not engaged. To the best of my knowledge i don't believe that Pandora states that their narrowcast is in Dolby. I have the input source BraviaTV DSP set to Standard unless s source like AMZN Prime Video or NF specifies that 5.1 is in that particular show. Since I don't have ATMOS or presence speakers I wouldn't be using Neural:X in any event.
In this case, if you’re absolutely certain that you have the correct settings and decoder, I don’t know what else to say. Sorry!
And going further with the idea, if the POP’s come up now even when not using the Auto and/or AI, it seems that Yamaha instead of fixing this, is actually deepen the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
Has this problem ever been definitively diagnosed to be a problem with the AVR? I ask this because I own both a 3080 and a 2080 and use both DSU and Surround:AI on them most of the time and have not experienced the popping problem. It seems to me that something external to the AVR (on the input) could just as easily be creating the pops.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Has this problem ever been definitively diagnosed to be a problem with the AVR? I ask this because I own both a 3080 and a 2080 and use both DSU and Surround:AI on them most of the time and have not experienced the popping problem. It seems to me that something external to the AVR (on the input) could just as easily be creating the pops.
If you’re thinking about some rigorous and specialized diagnosis, I don’t think was done.
But for sure I can tell you what happened on my 2080, purchased sometime in November or October last year (2019), and I had popping even when nothing was playing, when I had as input my Oppo 203, or my Apple 4K, or the integrated Netradio.
Also, several others here and on other forums have confirmed that units produced after October-November 2019 were showing the problem while older produced (as I presume yours are), did not presented the popping.

Also, it seems that few post above, is someone that have his unit serviced, and the problem persisted after service, he asked for a complete replacement and got another one that also presented popping, and ultimately he just switched to a different brand.
The problem with this popping is that it is not easily reproduced since they appear mostly at random times, although I conversed with someone that said his unit was doing it all the times when he was watching/listening to something with Atmos, put pause, and then when resumed playing, the popping were unavoidable there.
I can also say that when I play something (video), no matter what format or decoder is used, when I pause or rewind for few seconds, the sound is perceivedly HIGHER level for few moments before going down to the same level as before; so I can presume this is a little bit a sort of an “baby-popping-issue”.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I don't doubt that you are having pops, and it could well be the AVR, but with out a real root cause analysis being performed, all we can do is speculate as to the cause. None of my Yamahas (AVRs and AVP) have done it. Perhaps I'm just lucky. ;)

Reactions: JRiggs

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't doubt that you are having pops, and it could well be the AVR, but with out a real root cause analysis being performed, all we can do is speculate as to the cause. None of my Yamahas (AVRs and AVP) have done it. Perhaps I'm just lucky. ;)
Indeed you might be lucky, as I know I am usually not.
Still, I can tell you that I also have (for several years) an Yamaha RX-A2040 and that one did not had this popping, but had something else.
Also, it was clear for me that the AVR (2080) was to blame when I was having it playing the integrated Net-Radio, and nothing else was powered on, not even the projector (I do not have a TV or monitor, nor that I want).
Furthermore, there are too many (at least around a dozen here) that confirmed this too, so definitely the Yamaha is the culprit and producing the popping!
You did not mentioned, what's the production period of your receivers? Maybe there is the answer...

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I don't know the production period of my units, I did buy them early when they first became available as I recall. As a 55 year computer engineer/programmer I have learned over the decades to not make assumptions regarding root cause analysis of problems. I long ago learned to rely on facts. I just don't think we have enough of the facts to know the answer. You say there are at least a dozen here that have had popping...how many here haven't? If it is a problem in the AVRs (I'm not ruling that out), perhaps it's an isolated issue that only affects some units and maybe not even most.

Reactions: JRiggs

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tough time to be in the market for a Yamaha. Supply of existing models is drying up everywhere and backorders seem to be going indefinite with no sign of the 2020s. I was thinking about picking up a 3080 but I'm starting to wonder if there's going to be enough of them around for anyone to justify a fire sale when the replacements arrive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tough time to be in the market for a Yamaha. Supply of existing models is drying up everywhere and backorders seem to be going indefinite with no sign of the 2020s. I was thinking about picking up a 3080 but I'm starting to wonder if there's going to be enough of them around for anyone to justify a fire sale when the replacements arrive.
What exactly is the point if this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know the production period of my units, I did buy them early when they first became available as I recall. As a 55 year computer engineer/programmer I have learned over the decades to not make assumptions regarding root cause analysis of problems. I long ago learned to rely on facts. I just don't think we have enough of the facts to know the answer. You say there are at least a dozen here that have had popping...how many here haven't? If it is a problem in the AVRs (I'm not ruling that out), perhaps it's an isolated issue that only affects some units and maybe not even most.
well said. I have owed several of the xx80 line AVRs and have run them all sorts of ways. Never had a pop or any other issue.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
What exactly is the point if this?
Someone was hoping to get a receiver on close out when the new models come out. Just that with them all sold out, that strategy doesn't work since no one has any units to close out. If you want to save a few bucks, buying the old model can work. If you can find any.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wonder, what assumption you saw me (or anyone else that have this issue) doing? Or have you seen me done any analysis of the root cause of the problem? No, I've only stated the FACT that I (and others) have this popping issue. And if you and most of you don't have it, you could consider lucky and be happy with this, but denying THE FACT that some (maybe a minority) DO HAVE this issue, doesn't mean that anyone made any assumption let alone analyzing the root cause of the problem. But INDEED we (the one that have the popping issue) had shared here some of our experiences and tried to come up with tests and tries that could help us verify what and how this issue appear among our various setups, and we come up with the only common item, which is this receiver, and with the common identification as units purchased after October-November 2019, no matter the continent.
Also, we all, in our "quest" to figure out what is wrong and what can we do to eliminate this issue, have NEVER said Yamaha is a bad company or that this specific series is a bad one, overall not doing "blaming" nor "bad-wording" in any way the company or the product.

Sure, we acknowledge that we are a minority of users that got such units, we never said it otherwise, and, in fact, we are actually "jealous" of you the ones that have good units. ;):ROFLMAO:
If you and many others don't have the issue, doesn't mean that me and others don't, also, there could be many that do have units prone to this popping issue but never use the units with the "AUTO" or "AI", hence never encountered it, as it could be a lot of others that have it but did not bothered with any forum at all. Have you pondered on that too, mr. IT guy? I think not (I am also IT ;):ROFLMAO:, but along the years I learned [not only from IT profession], to broaden my view and perspective on everything and take into account as many possibilities I could conceive without considering it exhausted and be prepared to find out even more possibilities that I didn't thought of).
There was here some time ago, another guy which ranted against us the ones that DO HAVE this issue instead of coming up with something USEFUL for us to figure out what can we do to eliminate it (as you seems to be doing now), and an admin took care of him, deleting all its posts with that ranting, and blocking him to post here on this specific thread. Therefore, PLEASE (I really do ask you kindly), try to conceive there are others (even being a minority) that DO HAVE this popping issue, and if you do not have it (again) consider yourself lucky and if you can't come up with something USEFUL and HELPFUL for us to say, please do refrain of saying anything on this matter, WE KNOW there are many of you that don't have the issue, it is not need it for you to say you don't, we get it.
Thanks for your understanding!
I for one would not argue anymore with anyone here on this matter, whatever anyone will say against us the ones that do have popping issue, I'll just let it be and consider it useless to argue against those ones.

2801 - 2820 of 2885 Posts