AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 2712 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Anyone know how to connect more than two subwoofers? I’m trying to do 7.4.4. But, I’m stuck. What do I need for two additional subwoofer? A splitter? Another receiver?

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #662 (Edited)
Anyone know how to connect more than two subwoofers? I’m trying to do 7.4.4. But, I’m stuck. What do I need for two additional subwoofer? A splitter? Another receiver?
RCA Y-Splitter , or a miniDSP 2x4

I even add Y-Splitters to my Y Splitters :D
(doubles line signal if your sub has two available input jacks for a +6dB gain)

Y-Splitters will only work with a reasonable level of accuracy when your subs are co-located in pairs equidistant from the MLP.
If you have a different distance on each sub your Yamaha has no way to adjust time delays for that,
so you would want to run YPAO separately one sub at a time and average the final delay (distance) and maybe the phase, manually. PITA!

The Best way to accurately/effectively time align 4 Separate Sub locations and EQ each of them individually is through a miniDSP 2x4HD ($200)
(also requires a UMIK-1 mic (~$75) and download REW (Room EQ Wizard) as mentioned on the previous page)

I run my Yamaha's Front and Rear (Sub-1 and Sub-2) pre-outs into my miniDSP 2x4HD,
Then all 4 Outputs have their own time alignment/delay/PEQ settings...

input channels

output channels

House Curve Low Shelf Filter and BEQ adjustments can easily be made in the miniDSP software

:nerd:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
You need to select one of the DSP modes first for the screen to change and then you will have a choice between one finger adjust (bubble shown over listening area) or the advanced mode which is enabled after you touch on the pencil icon.
If you haven't already bookmarked or subscribed to the thread:

Simplified REW Setup and Use: Techniques and Interpretation Thread

(... removed, my goof...)

Ok thanks but there is no answer is this thread. I have read all the post about it and watched a video and still can't get it.
Sorry, perhaps it's one of the other threads, but I thought the video as well as H Stevens' directions would work for you.... Maybe play around and see if you can find it?
You need to select one of the DSP modes first for the screen to change and then you will have a choice between one finger adjust (bubble shown over listening area) or the advanced mode which is enabled after you touch on the pencil icon.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #664
If you're referring to the Yamaha AVR, 7 bands of PEQ is the usual. Check http://[your AVR's ip address]/Setup (should be the "Speaker" tab) to review your PEQ options.
There are 7 Bands for Speakers ONLY

For Sub's there are only 4 Bands of EQ available

Here you can see YPAO did next to nothing for my sub calibrations on my old Yamaha RX-A3050 :rolleyes:

Sub-1

Sub-2

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks. One of the DSP modes is highlighted with a blue outline, is that what you mean by select or is there another way to select the DSP to get that screen up? This can't be that hard and I watched the video on it and still can't get it.
Don’t worry about replying, found it.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #667

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Probably a redundant question here since most major players appear to be monitoring most of the Yamaha Aventage threads, but can anyone tell me if the Yamaha Enhanced DSP for 2018 (or 2017 for that matter) can handle DTS tracks (most specifically DTS-HD MA)? I read that Dolby has restricted their DSU from managing DTS material, but does that restriction carry to the Yamaha DSPs? (Thanks to @kbarnes701 for the reminder in the Atmos thread.)

@PioManiac I know you're aware that an inquiry led to me resurfacing recently after life kind of interfered (in good ways mostly) with my monitoring forums. I'm happy to discover that you yourself opened this thread. ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
There are 7 Bands for Speakers ONLY

For Sub's there are only 4 Bands of EQ available

Here you can see YPAO did next to nothing for my sub calibrations on my old Yamaha RX-A3050 :rolleyes:
and again:
the MAIN CORRECTION is done with the "invisible" R.S.C. part of YPAO and NOT via PEQ!
and there is NO R.S.C. for the subwoofer(s).

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
Probably a redundant question here since most major players appear to be monitoring most of the Yamaha Aventage threads, but can anyone tell me if the Yamaha Enhanced DSP for 2018 (or 2017 for that matter) can handle DTS tracks (most specifically DTS-HD MA)? I read that Dolby has restricted their DSU from managing DTS material, but does that restriction carry to the Yamaha DSPs? (Thanks to @kbarnes701 for the reminder in the Atmos thread.)

@PioManiac I know you're aware that an inquiry led to me resurfacing recently after life kind of interfered (in good ways mostly) with my monitoring forums. I'm happy to discover that you yourself opened this thread. ;)
Hey Rich, good to have you back my friend. :)

I looked pretty closely at the RX-A3080 (as an upgrade over my 3 y/o RX-A3050)
...and opted for picking up a heavily discounted/discontinued RX-A3070 instead.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The Yamaha Cinema DSP modes aren’t a decoder/upmixer so I expect that they’re immune from that Dolby upmixer restriction.

Reactions: richlife

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Hey, Pio -- thanks! :)

Yeah, I saw what you posted about your 3070 -- good move from my perspective also. That alternative is why I think that Yamaha's next top Aventage-level release will be a fully provisioned 11.2. Once you get to the 3060/70/80 level, small feature upgrades make it hard to justify upgrades at full list price over the previous model(s) -- something bigger/major is needed. And competitors are already there.

That still leaves me with the non-support for DTS in Dolby's DSU (and what about the Yamaha DSPs. I think Dolby made the DSU decision AFTER the 3070, but I expect the 3080 DSU may be affected. Yamaha is not Dolby and certainly has the right to provide what they want in their DSPs, but Dolby could (possibly) influence even that. However, from what I've heard from the Enhanced DSP with DTS sources (and anything else), THAT could be a challenger to the DSU.

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts

Yep, there are a few of those bugger's left. That will make sense to a lot of people.....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Turns out these models will not be discontinued in 2019, but rather will continue with no new replacements until 2020 (most likely when HDMI 2.1 is released).
Hey, JD. @jdsmoothie Makes sense to me especially the HDMI 2.1 part. I still think it will be very interesting what models/features come out then. I wonder if it will still be the Aventage line? Not looking for an answer -- suspect that's Yamaha trade secret.

But btw, do you happen to know if the 3080 Enhanced DSP will handle DTS tracks? I'm just setting out to see if Dolby is trying to go beyond their own DSU exclusion of DTS. (Always willing to take the easy way out and get an answer from "one who knows". :p )

·
Premium Member
87,928 Posts
Hey, JD. @jdsmoothie Makes sense to me especially the HDMI 2.1 part. I still think it will be very interesting what models/features come out then. I wonder if it will still be the Aventage line? Not looking for an answer -- suspect that's Yamaha trade secret.

But btw, do you happen to know if the 3080 Enhanced DSP will handle DTS tracks? I'm just setting out to see if Dolby is trying to go beyond their own DSU exclusion of DTS. (Always willing to take the easy way out and get an answer from "one who knows". :p )
No, rather that would be better answered by a A3080 owner.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

No, rather that would be better answered by a A3080 owner.
Ok, would be good to know. My searches came us with the basic info as it was released by Dolby in May 2018. Maybe, kinda, sorta answers some of my question partially, but still would like to have a verified answer from a A3080 owner as you said. (And xx80 owners may want to be selective about applying firmware updates if this matters to them.)

I've extracted the key information on the subject from this article. So far have not found anything further so, for now, it remains an open question. Very interesting article though. (I added bold to one paragraph.)

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-non-native-upmixing-atmos Gene DellaSala — May 30, 2018

He brings up this reference: [everything here quoted from the article -- for the complete content, see the link above]

...new Dolby mandate that restricts how you will be able to upmix native Dolby content that will take effect on all NEW Atmos-based products (ie. receivers, processors and soundbars) coming in 2019 and current 2018 products that are able to receive firmware updates.

Dolby Changes The Game With Mandate To All Licensing Partners

Native Dolby Atmos content shall NOT be up-mixed, surround or height virtualized by any 3rd party competitor upmixer (ie. DTS or Auro-3D).
Channel-Based DD/DD+, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and 7.1 codecs shall not be height virtualized by any 3rd party upmixer (ie. DTS). (This implies height virtualization without height speakers. DTS has this capability but Auro-3D does not).
Note: This includes carry over devices from previous years in CY 2018.

Interestingly, Dolby will permit 3rd party upmixing and/or surround virtualization of channel-based codecs that support Dolby Atmos rendering as long as the 3rd party doesn't license their own upmixing technologies to 3rd parties. In other words, you can't upmix a Dolby signal with a DTS:X or Auro-Matic upmixer but if you own a Yamaha receiver or Logic7-based Harman processor, you can still overlay their proprietary DSP over a Dolby signal.

Note: Maintaining native format and upmixing is something that has always been in the Dolby guidelines for licensees, but apparently never enforced until now.

Why is Dolby Issuing this Mandate to its licensees?

I believe Dolby maybe enforcing it in future products that bear its logo for two reasons:

Control quality of content so that their upmixer is only used with their software.
Put an end to Auro-3D and strike a blow to DTS.

Dolby lost the audio battle to DTS with Blu-ray and may be taking a different, more aggressive stance with their current lead in 4K/UltraHD Blu-ray.

But that begs another question: If Dolby truly wants to maintain quality control, why would they still allow 3rd party DSP overlay of their signals which can potentially do more harm than having a competitor codec do the upmixing? Dolby is either being extremely generous to its licensee partners by allowing them to offer processing enhancements to increase the appeal of their products or they really want to win the no-win scenario by changing the conditions of the test - eliminate the competition.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm using a Fire TV Stick 4K plugged directly into my 3080 and it works fine. My TV is an LG UH8500 though. Make sure the 3080 is set to 4K Mode 1 (pg. 161 in the manual). Other than that, my only guess is something to do with Dolby Vision. The Fire TV stick defaults to DV for the home menu. I know the Sonys use a different DV profile from everyone else, so assuming your A9F has the DV firmware update, maybe there's an incompatibility somewhere in the chain? I don't have a Sony, so I have no way to test that.
Thanks I sol v Ed it, I replaced the cable from the 3080 to the TV and that was the problem. Weird, it was already a high-speed HDMI cable and it worked with four or five other devices, but not with the fire stick. Mono price HDMI cable solve the issue

661 - 680 of 2712 Posts