AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 2727 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I tried to search the thread looking for this issue but did not see it so if its been discussed I apologize. I purchased the 1080 going from the 1060 primarily for the dual HDMI to run a TV and projector in the same room. I have a high speed HDMI cable that works for all 4K formats from my Sony 900E and a fiber HDMI OF 30 feet running to the projector. When both cables are plugged in I have intermittent issues of signal coming and going. The HDMI status indicator for 1/2 will flash on and off. It’ll sometimes work for quite a while or even for an entire movie and the other times will flicker every few seconds. When either HDMI is unplugged and the other remains then every operates normally. I’m stumped! Thanks for any suggestions.
Ensure the cables you're using are "Certified," there are ostensibly "4K UHD" cables out there that aren't always up to the task.

Sorry for being off topic; but are you really serious?

Use of an exclamation point/mark is not limited to "yelling". It's also used to show emphasis. I consider the post, prior to yours, use of "Thank you!" to be very appreciative and polite. Much more "appropriate" than jumping in to correct another person's comments.

Of course, my above is guilty of the same. Sorry again!
No worries, wasn't directed at you personally.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I purchased Yamaha Rx A3080 4 months back. It was working fine. From last 15 days the receiver switches off randomly. After 15 to 20 minutes it will switch on. Since yesterday it is not switching on and is in standby mode. I've disconnected all the connections ie., HDMI, Speaker connections etc.,. Still it is in standby mode. Any DIY solution or to contact the Yamaha Authorised Service Center. Please help.
Shashi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes all cables are certified high quality high speed. I guess it’s possible one is a dud. I’ll pick some other cables up and test. I sure hope it’s not a cable. I checked them prior to running through walls and ceilings and the problem didn’t present itself until after final install. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All very simply - you have a problem and warranty now. Fan not resolve problem, but remove a reason. Time is gone with warranty. And left you alone face to face with problem... It means - heating is reason, but problem may be more seriously... Fink abut this!
@dapakattack

I had a similar issue with my RXV-1085, the volume was jumping all over and at times sound only out of the center speaker or back sounds. After turning off /disconnect everything, reconnect it appeared to resume as normal, however over the course of a month or so, it became more frequent. It would happen with some reasonable quick changing of input sources, as if it couldnt keep up with the button pressing I was doing. It took two visits to the Yamaha service center, (I am not sure they believed me the first time around on the second visit they found what they called the 'connectivity' issue. Each visit they had the unit for a week of 'testing'. The repair guy didnt find it until at one point he touched the volume control on the unit and the unit went ballistic. They did a bit of work (mystery) but whatever it fixed the issue and I havent looked back.

so I think you should be off to the service center.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,
I purchased Yamaha Rx A3080 4 months back. It was working fine. From last 15 days the receiver switches off randomly. After 15 to 20 minutes it will switch on. Since yesterday it is not switching on and is in standby mode. I've disconnected all the connections ie., HDMI, Speaker connections etc.,. Still it is in standby mode. Any DIY solution or to contact the Yamaha Authorised Service Center. Please help.
Shashi
If you not radio-electronic engineer, like me - just come to service. Reason may be very simple - for example - short cut between speaker terminal one teen wire... Or not! But at now you AVR locked by protection. Previously I say ( https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3002676-official-yamaha-rx-a3080-rx-a2080-rx-a1080-aventage-avr-thread-35.html#post58127468 ) how you can come to service mode in this case. But think twice, before do it. This is your AVR, money and healthy!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I tried to search the thread looking for this issue but did not see it so if its been discussed I apologize. I purchased the 1080 going from the 1060 primarily for the dual HDMI
Did you check the resolution/frequency in the AVR menu for each? Maybe something with the up/scaling. I hav no problem with this, but I use 2 TVs at the same time (different source HDMI 1 out + HDMI 3 out (Zone)). The only problem usually is the different TV capabilities (FHD TV / 4K TV), so at first I had no signal (audio/video) on the FHD tv. I had to set up the related HDMI out (AVR or source like media player). I think the Projector's cabel is longer, first check that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried to search the thread looking for this issue but did not see it so if its been discussed I apologize.
Read this carefully - • When “OUT 1+2” is selected, the unit outputs video signals at the highest resolution
supported by both TVs (or projectors) connected to the unit. (For example, if you have
connected a 1080p TV to the HDMI OUT 1 jack and a 720p TV to the HDMI OUT 2 jack,
the unit outputs 720p video signals.)
P.58 Owner Manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Read this carefully - • When “OUT 1+2” is selected, the unit outputs video signals at the highest resolution
supported by both TVs (or projectors) connected to the unit. (For example, if you have
connected a 1080p TV to the HDMI OUT 1 jack and a 720p TV to the HDMI OUT 2 jack,
the unit outputs 720p video signals.)
P.58 Owner Manual.
Thanks for your input. I referred to that spot in the manual. I dont wish to view the tv and projector simultaneously so the way it’s worded there it appears that I should be able to function as I need it to. I believe my next course of action will have to be testing different cables unfortunately. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some hidden setting I was overlooking. Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you not radio-electronic engineer, like me - just come to service. Reason may be very simple - for example - short cut between speaker terminal one teen wire... Or not! But at now you AVR locked by protection. Previously I say ( https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3002676-official-yamaha-rx-a3080-rx-a2080-rx-a1080-aventage-avr-thread-35.html#post58127468 ) how you can come to service mode in this case. But think twice, before do it. This is your AVR, money and healthy!
Thanks a lot Torch60,
I'm not a radio Electronic engineer ..... so, I'm going to Yamaha Authorised service center...
Shashi

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
My local dealer is offering a great price on the 3080. I’m very tempted but wondering to wait a little longer for the 3090 which might be around Sept. Anyone have any news on the replacement model coming?
Those come out July/August, don't expect and major changes and no HDMI 2.1

Sure, I hear you, but here in Australia there is a real price disparity regardless of which direction you go.

Marantz SR-6013- $2400
Yamaha TX-A3080- $3300
Marantz SR-7013- $4500
Don't over buy, if you are not using any more of the added technology for the price difference, no need to get the more expensive unit, save it for the next upgrade ;)

Yes all cables are certified high quality high speed. I guess it’s possible one is a dud. I’ll pick some other cables up and test. I sure hope it’s not a cable. I checked them prior to running through walls and ceilings and the problem didn’t present itself until after final install. Thanks for your response.
Yep make sure they have this badge below

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
I picked up an RX-A1080 tonight. Hooked it up, updated the firmware, reprogrammed all of the activities on my Harmony remote and everything seems to be working great (aside from my recently deceased sub-woofer - ugh, my next purchase). My wife is out of town until Monday so I have all weekend to go into a deep dive and tweak things!

I guess I need to read this thread to get up to speed on things!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I searched this thread with no luck, maybe someone can help.

I can't seem to get Apple TV 4k HDR content to pass through my RX A2080. When I go into the Apple TV 4K settings for the standard "lets see if you can get a great picture" stuff, it tells me it's reverting back to lower quality.

Has anyone successfully got 4k HDR content through the 2080 using apple tv?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
I searched this thread with no luck, maybe someone can help.

I can't seem to get Apple TV 4k HDR content to pass through my RX A2080. When I go into the Apple TV 4K settings for the standard "lets see if you can get a great picture" stuff, it tells me it's reverting back to lower quality.

Has anyone successfully got 4k HDR content through the 2080 using apple tv?

My Apple TV has no issues passing 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision through my 3080.

There should be no difference between the two.

Check to make sure the 4K mode is set properly on the Yamaha. See the owners manual for help :)

I assume that the Apple TV works properly when connected directly to your displays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Apple TV has no issues passing 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision through my 3080.

There should be no difference between the two.

Check to make sure the 4K mode is set properly on the Yamaha. See the owners manual for help :)

I assume that the Apple TV works properly when connected directly to your displays

Thanks. Yeah, I have everything set to pass through, not sure why the Apple TV is being fussy. It works fine when not connected to the AVR.

I've now read the whole "hold power and straight button" to switch modes. I'm hoping that doesn't force the AVR to upconvert everything to 4k (I'd prefer my TV do that for regular HD programming).

·
Registered
792 Posts
i recently picked up a 3080. would i gain a while lot by adding an MX-A5000/5200 other than the 2 additional channels?
I have a 3050 and have exactly the same question. I wonder how much better it can get :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my RX-A1080 for a few months now. I like the unit. Running it in bi-amp mode with my Paradigm Symphony speakers in a 5:1 setup and it sounds sweet and integrates well with an Apple TV 4K and LG OLED77C8PUA 77" OLED (love that thing).

I have been using the receiver's built-in AirPlay as a node when playing music from iTunes on a couple of Macs (via wired Ethernet to the receiver, not wi-fi), and that's been working fine until I just upgraded the receiver's firmware to 1.65, which now supports Airplay 2. Now, when it first starts playing content to the receiver, I get a dialog in iTunes saying "There are no speakers connected to the AirPlay device "RX-A1080." It plays just fine, but it's an annoying dialog. (It does self-immolate after about 30 seconds.)

Yamaha tech support said call Apple, and they had no answer, and I am willing to bet it is a bug in the receiver's AirPlay 2 implementation, perhaps because I am using wired Ethernet rather than wi-fi.

Is anyone else seeing this message with the AirPlay 2-enabled firmware?

Attachments

1061 - 1080 of 2727 Posts