AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 2712 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
I recently got a refurb RX-A3070 from Accessories4less with a problem (left main preamp out was only the right channel's bass, and right main preamp out was the right channel's audio without bass, and the left channel's audio came out of neither preamp out). They told me that wasn't possible and argued with me telling me I didn't know what I was doing (I've owned Yamaha receivers for 35 years). They gave me the run-around having me do days of tests, and I also confirmed with Yamaha USA support (who are awesome). This all ended up with me being correct about the problem in the first pace. I opened an RMA on their website. They then stopped replying to my emails and phone calls altogether. After a week of no response I ended up opening a dispute/chargeback and that got their attention and they processed by RMA and sent me a label. I ended up purchasing a different RX-A3070 from IQ Home Entertainment, and authorized dealer, who has been awesome in post-sales support. My card company eventually ruled in my favor and I got all my money back. So, I will never again buy from them. I should have trusted all the bad reviews, and there are dozens of them.

I don't know if all their "refurb" units have been through Yamaha's authorized repair and were certified working through rigorous testing, but they seem to sell a lot of refurbs that actually have some kind of problem that didn't get caught or repaired during the refurb process.

So, it is likely you received a bad refurb unit from Accessories4less. Contact them with your issue and get the process started of exchanging it. They have a horrible return/restock process, buyer pays all shipping both ways and a 20% restocking fee! If they can take your refurb back and trade you up to a new unit instead, I'd go that route.
Man, if it’s that much of a pain to get an exchange from them I guess I’d be better off keeping it and just use the manual peq. And hope that’s the only problem it has

·
Registered
205 Posts
YPAO always sets the mains at 0 for reference level of 75db, and adjusts other channels accordingly. That's why you may notice the -10db point on your volume knob be different after a YPAO pass. I usually have to bump the sub levels 3-6db over what YPAO set it at... It always sets them low. You are seeing it set them to +14db, that's extremely unusual for YPAO (most report it sets the sub too low). But the other channels are usually within 1-3db of correct. I also double check the distance measurements and tweak, and push the subs out 4-5 feet more than actual.
Can you clarify a bit how YPAO sets reference level? I believe audyssey sets reference level (ie 85db) to 0db on volume control. I have read that when YPAO sets level it just adjusts all other speakers to match the mains, but it doesn't actually adjust overall output to any particular calibration. Are you saying it does? If so, what is reference level supposed to be on the volume control? I have an SPL meter and it suggests that reference level is closer to -15db on my 3080. That means 85db on average with peaks well above that in dBA. With dBC weighting so it's measuring the subs more, I am hitting over 120dB at -15dB on volume control during loud explosions. Going to 0dB would be extremely loud and I think I would risk damaging speakers/subs at that point (not mention my hearing lol). FYI I sit about 9ft from LCR, 11ft from equidistant subs. Room is ~20x12 but completely open on one side to the rest of the house.

Another issue I have is how YPAO is settting sub levels. I have 2 subs - it sets the sub levels hot - about 6db hot to my ears (I don't have REW). If I compare bassy music with pure direct mode vs using the subs, I have to run sub trim down 6dB to get a similar sound. I do this for music for a natural mix, but go back to 0dB on sub trim (which is actually like a +dB boost) for movies. It seems like YPAO sets the appropriate level for EACH sub but not for both subs combined.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Can you clarify a bit how YPAO sets reference level? I believe audyssey sets reference level (ie 85db) to 0db on volume control. I have read that when YPAO sets level it just adjusts all other speakers to match the mains, but it doesn't actually adjust overall output to any particular calibration.
Your understanding is correct. YPAO does not target any reference level - just sets speakers relative to each other.

·
Registered
283 Posts
YPAO always sets the mains at 0 for reference level of 75db, and adjusts other channels accordingly. That's why you may notice the -10db point on your volume knob be different after a YPAO pass. I usually have to bump the sub levels 3-6db over what YPAO set it at... It always sets them low. You are seeing it set them to +14db, that's extremely unusual for YPAO (most report it sets the sub too low). But the other channels are usually within 1-3db of correct. I also double check the distance measurements and tweak, and push the subs out 4-5 feet more than actual.
Can you clarify a bit how YPAO sets reference level? I believe audyssey sets reference level (ie 85db) to 0db on volume control. I have read that when YPAO sets level it just adjusts all other speakers to match the mains, but it doesn't actually adjust overall output to any particular calibration. Are you saying it does? If so, what is reference level supposed to be on the volume control? I have an SPL meter and it suggests that reference level is closer to -15db on my 3080. That means 85db on average with peaks well above that in dBA. With dBC weighting so it's measuring the subs more, I am hitting over 120dB at -15dB on volume control during loud explosions. Going to 0dB would be extremely loud and I think I would risk damaging speakers/subs at that point (not mention my hearing lol). FYI I sit about 9ft from LCR, 11ft from equidistant subs. Room is ~20x12 but completely open on one side to the rest of the house.
First, here's a useful article on what is supposed to be done (not all AVRs do this automatically).

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314thx-reference-level/

And second, this is a disclaimer. I don't have Yamaha documentation which lays all this out. This is based upon my 30 years of experience with Yamaha products including the RX-A3070, RX-A3040, and RX-A3010 (of which I have all three active now). I've had an RX-Z9, DSP-A1, and many others.

Now, the pink noise the Yamaha generates is at -30db (for all channels except subwoofer, which is played back at -20db since the LFE channel is recorded at -10db to the other channels). This makes configuration for all channels easier. If you set it manually for 75db at 0db on the volume dial that will correspond to 105db average listening level when sources are played back. When YPAO runs, the volume dial position doesn't matter. Of course, sources vary, and source materials vary, so that's where you can use the input trim selectable for each input. You'll need a way to get similar -30db test tones through each input to calibrate the individual input levels. I would strongly urge against tuning levels at reference with no attenuation of the pink noise in the source. It can damage speakers and your hearing trying to tune at 0db on the volume knob at 105db pink noise.

YPAO will adjust the volume scale so that the 0db point for your mains is at 75db pink noise (you'll always see them at 0db setting after YPAO is complete) and all the other channels will be adjusted up or down relative to the mains. And if you did any amount of listening before YPAO you'll notice that your volume scale will be different. And I'm pretty sure this happens. You can swap between the two configurations, one where YPAO was run, and the other where it was not (factory default, or manually configured with mains at 0db level), and hear a significant difference in the volume with the volume knob at the same setting. For me, the difference between the configuration where YPAO was run vs the configuration where it was not is over a 10db in SPL level for the same volume knob position.

If you ignore YPAO for configuration 2, and do everything manually with a tape measure and REW (what I do), you will most likely end up with mains NOT at 0db adjustment because you can't manually set the scale for the volume knob. Only YPAO can do that. Unfortunately, there's no manual way to configure it.

I have a very similar room setup to you, 22' wide x15' deep room with 12' ceilings and open on one side and the back to other rooms. My RX-A3070 YPAO does a good job of getting all speakers close to 75db at reference level, as verified by REW, except for my dual subs, which I normally have to boost after YPAO because it sets them too low. I normally listen to movies at about -10db on the volume knob, which corresponds to a 95db average listening level with 30db of headroom. Different movies and different TV channels have different "average" volume levels though, and I would say my listening level fluctuates between -20db and -10db.

Another issue I have is how YPAO is settting sub levels. I have 2 subs - it sets the sub levels hot - about 6db hot to my ears (I don't have REW). If I compare bassy music with pure direct mode vs using the subs, I have to run sub trim down 6dB to get a similar sound. I do this for music for a natural mix, but go back to 0dB on sub trim (which is actually like a +dB boost) for movies. It seems like YPAO sets the appropriate level for EACH sub but not for both subs combined.
I believe you are correct here, if you connect one sub to each of the Yamaha's sub outputs (one on sub 1 out and one on sub 2 out). YPAO sets levels, distances, and PEQ individually for each sub and does not compensate for the gain produced by multiple subs, which can be from +3db to +6db depending on how they are located. And YPAO normally does a poor job of bass PEQ. And it never does any tuning with both subs playing together. If your subs are colocated, you can get slightly better results by feeding them both from the same subwoofer output and letting YPAO tune them as a single sub.

I am upgrading to four subs and will use a MiniDSP 2x4 HD to set levels and distances for each sub, tune them all as one with MiniDSP PEQ and REW, and then connect that to a single sub output on the AVR and run YPAO, but then after verify its distance and levels, and discard it's PEQ. From what I have read that's the recommended way of integrating multiple subs with AVRs.

Reactions: Peter Hayes

·
Semi-Advanced Member
562 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Looks like still no dts neural-x upmixing of dolby signals? (that we lost in the xx80's...)
Is it even possible for them to change this?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
So I purchased a used 3080 from a forum member on avs. Should be here by the weekend. Moving up from 3040. I am interested to know how this unit handles Atmos. On the 3040 it was a late software upgrade and you had to hit a few buttons for it to decode Atmos. Does the 3080 automatically detect it?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I though they didnt add atmos until the 3060 model as the cx 5000 did not have it either. introduced with cxa5100. I am not an expert only from my research.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I though they didnt add atmos until the 3060 model as the cx 5000 did not have it either. introduced with cxa5100. I am not an expert only from my research.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nope 3040 has it but it came later through software update. You have to hit the surround decoded button on remote several times to activate it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nope 3040 has it but it came later through software update. You have to hit the surround decoded button on remote several times to activate it.
Nothing needed to "activate" it. Also worked that way on the x050's. There is an auto setting that upmixes Dolby sources and also DTS sources and will also pass through Atmos and DTS-X.

Reactions: keeper

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nothing needed to "activate" it. Also worked that way on the x050's. There is an auto setting that upmixes Dolby sources and also DTS sources and will also pass through Atmos and DTS-X.

This is not correct.

The AUTO setting only appeared from the x070 series onwards.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I’m interested in trying out the AI dsp I guess it is. Anyone have an opinion on this feature? Can it be used for everything including Atmos and DTS X?

·
Registered
674 Posts
This is not correct.

The AUTO setting only appeared from the x070 series onwards.

The original question came from someone that just purchased a 3080.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I upgraded my router to 5 GHz band.
Perform login into a new network. Yamaha find network properly but AV controller do not see Yamaha thus made same changing - network 5 GHz in my iphone. I reckon the problem seems to be wrong/old IP address in AV Controller.
Question: were find a new ip address in Yamaha settings and put it in to AV controller?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Got the 2085 , and really digging it compared to the Onkyo rz830. But one issue is the fact that ypao doesn’t account for two subs when measuring the levels. Why give the option of having two independent subs and being able to set distance, but not being able to combine them on a spl measurement. Ypao got my sub levels totally wrong, but other post have said ypao doesn’t seem to account for the the additional spl of the second sub. In order to to get a spl reading of the the two combined, I need to use a splitter on one channel with both subs? Am I missing something? Makes no sense to have the ability of individual subs but no way to calibrate them. Hope I’m just missing something

·
Registered
231 Posts
Got the 2085 , and really digging it compared to the Onkyo rz830. But one issue is the fact that ypao doesn’t account for two subs when measuring the levels. Why give the option of having two independent subs and being able to set distance, but not being able to combine them on a spl measurement. Ypao got my sub levels totally wrong, but other post have said ypao doesn’t seem to account for the the additional spl of the second sub. In order to to get a spl reading of the the two combined, I need to use a splitter on one channel with both subs? Am I missing something? Makes no sense to have the ability of individual subs but no way to calibrate them. Hope I’m just missing something
A side note about this; I bought Y-splitters and run dual subs from my Yamaha A2080. It seems to me that when I run YPAO with the splitters installed it just reduces each subs output from the LFE out because it recognizes the increased db when inputting the signal into the L/R of the sub via y-splitter. In other words, YPAO will equalize the output whether you use a single input to sub or dual split input.. Maybe someone could confirm my thoughts.

·
Registered
828 Posts
A side note about this; I bought Y-splitters and run dual subs from my Yamaha A2080. It seems to me that when I run YPAO with the splitters installed it just reduces each subs output from the LFE out because it recognizes the increased db when inputting the signal into the L/R of the sub via y-splitter. In other words, YPAO will equalize the output whether you use a single input to sub or dual split input.. Maybe someone could confirm my thoughts.
So your using splitters on each sub so you don’t have to raise the gain as much on the subs?

·
Registered
980 Posts
That's because with Yamaha's logic, if you're choosing 2 independent subs - it means you are placing them at 2 different places. Summing up the SPL for 2 subs in 2 different locations means the user is responsible to set the appropriate gain value on the sub itself. Yamaha has been doing it this way since... more than a decade ago.

1461 - 1480 of 2712 Posts