AVS Forum banner

1501 - 1520 of 2727 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hello Yamaha Aventage owners! I'm thinking of getting the RX-A2080...
I'm guessing you're waiting for Black Friday? Last year the 2080 was $1199 ...

Thank you so much for the response. Unfortunately, my room would not accommodate your suggestions, though I do like it.

I will never be able to have more than two presence channels in my HT space in any configuration (whether i be rear heights or a second pair of ceiling speakers if I do manage to get a first pair of ceiling speakers installed). Would you say that it's better just to have 5.1.0 than to have 5.1.2 with front heights angled down?
I was facing a somewhat similar dilemma. I wanted to at least try and take "some" advantage of Atmos but for me, mounting speakers in the ceiling is out of the question (wife says No Way!)... We just spent a chunk of change having the popcorn ceilings scrapped, skim coated and painted. The other problem is we don't have a wall to the left of our seating area. Also,due to a steeply angled ceiling Dolby Atmos enabled (i.e. angled up to bounce off the ceiling) was out. That left me with trying to front heights angled down. Big difference! So much so I'm looking at adding rear heights angled down.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I'm guessing you're waiting for Black Friday? Last year the 2080 was $1199 ...
Sales and bonuses and wife appeasement. :)

I was facing a somewhat similar dilemma. I wanted to at least try and take "some" advantage of Atmos but for me, mounting speakers in the ceiling is out of the question (wife says No Way!)... We just spent a chunk of change having the popcorn ceilings scrapped, skim coated and painted. The other problem is we don't have a wall to the left of our seating area. Also,due to a steeply angled ceiling Dolby Atmos enabled (i.e. angled up to bounce off the ceiling) was out. That left me with trying to front heights angled down. Big difference! So much so I'm looking at adding rear heights angled down.

I have the same situation except it's open on the right side.

That's encouraging! I'm going to go with the Polk Audio S10s - I think they will be plenty for my small room. Unfortunately, my seating is right up against the wall, so that is where my journey will end.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
As I mentioned above I used it for a year and I was happy with it. Now I changed my mind and turned off and we will see, but I can hear the - very small - difference. Literally you won't lose anything, because it adds "something more" to the sound. It's not black or white, so you may not even notice the difference. Try it in short scenes, when someone talks/walks in a big hall, conference room, tunnel or in MadMax, when Max "talking with the voices in his head".
Finally got my 3080 set up and you are correct about the widened sound field or bubble I guess it is. Played something I’m very familiar with Atmos app on XBox- War of the worlds I think it is. It sounded much wider. I really liked what it did. The only issue is that my Crowsons seemed to be less effective. Like I turned down the Crowson amp a click or two. I played it several times with AI on and off and there was a difference in bass. Not sure why but will experiment more. Didn’t notice much difference on the other scenes I tested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I turn off the LG TV it turns off the AVR, the Xbox also turns on/off the AVR, but the Yamaha remote only turns off the AVR, but not the TV. I think this is how it should work (the AVR contols only the AVR, but not the TV).
Exactly, same thing happens to me.

You're probably right, but, isn't there a way to use only 1 remote? I mean, I CAN use the samsung remote but I'm limited to like 3 commands on it.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Last question. Are the Polk Audio S10 book shelves too small for the RX-A2080 as front presence speakers? I'm looking for compact speakers since i have a small room (though I sometimes treat myself to loud movie sessions @ -6.0 db relative volume), but I'm also not looking to horribly mismatch. Based on my research, it seems like in general it's okay to have small speakers for these tertiary channels. What do you all think? Should I be looking at something like RTiA1 or RTiA3 instead?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Last question. Are the Polk Audio S10 book shelves too small for the RX-A2080 as front presence speakers? I'm looking for compact speakers since i have a small room (though I sometimes treat myself to loud movie sessions @ -6.0 db relative volume), but I'm also not looking to horribly mismatch. Based on my research, it seems like in general it's okay to have small speakers for these tertiary channels. What do you all think? Should I be looking at something like RTiA1 or RTiA3 instead?
I can't talk about the "match", but I think they are fine as height speakers. Just in case cut them at 120/160Hz, but as I know the height channel usually doesn't get info under 150-180Hz.

And I bet you won't turn the 2080 below -10-20 for long periods... I don't know the Onkyo, but the Yamaha sets the fronts to 0 and the rest get + dB, while Marantz sets the weakest speaker to 0 and the rest get -dB. So in the same place my fronts were -10dB and -2dB the heights with Marantz and 0 for the fronts and +7dB for the heights with the Yamaha. While I watched movies around -15-20dB with Marantz, I couldn't go under -30dB with Yamaha. For demos (test the system) sometimes I use -25dB, but just for minutes... not more.

Just watched the F&F Hobbs and Show, and there is a scene (2-3) where the voice of the BadBoss comes from "nowhere", exactly above. Quite good for checkig.

Thanks I checked it already, that receiver has power!

Reactions: Freddicus

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I can't talk about the "match", but I think they are fine as height speakers. Just in case cut them at 120/160Hz, but as I know the height channel usually doesn't get info under 150-180Hz. And I bet you won't turn the 2080 below -10-20 for long periods... On what receiver use that -6?
Thanks for the feedback. I'm on an Onkyo TX-NR1010 right now. My normal listening volume is around -23.0 db relative volume. When I'm alone in the house I watch movies at -6.0 db to 0.0 db. It's awesomely loud.

The rest of my setup is in my signature if you're curious. I'm going to add whatever speakers I get to that in the short term until I can afford the AVR upgrade.

So I'd like the speakers to be sufficient for those use cases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I purchased a used 3080 from a forum member on avs. Should be here by the weekend. Moving up from 3040. I am interested to know how this unit handles Atmos. On the 3040 it was a late software upgrade and you had to hit a few buttons for it to decode Atmos. Does the 3080 automatically detect it?
I just upgraded from a 2040 to a 3080 and the difference was huge. I have 2 atmos speakers in ceiling over my sofa and on the 2040 I’d struggle to tell if they are working, but with the 3080 playing some atmos demos from the atmos Xbox app it was a massive difference. In the ‘amaze’ demo the rain came from the ceiling and filled the room, but the best is the snowboarding intro, a few seconds in a handheld radio like voice comes directly from the ceiling. Never got that with the 2040.

I know the 2040 and 3040 aren’t the same system, but they are probably somewhat close. Very happy with my upgrade. Not just for atmos, but everything from the bass being way more balanced and powerful to the surround being more natural and impressive. Very glad I upgraded.

Reactions: ChromeJob

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I just upgraded from a 2040 to a 3080 and the difference was huge. I have 2 atmos speakers in ceiling over my sofa and on the 2040 I’d struggle to tell if they are working, but with the 3080 playing some atmos demos from the atmos Xbox app it was a massive difference. In the ‘amaze’ demo the rain came from the ceiling and filled the room, but the best is the snowboarding intro, a few seconds in a handheld radio like voice comes directly from the ceiling. Never got that with the 2040.

I know the 2040 and 3040 aren’t the same system, but they are probably somewhat close. Very happy with my upgrade. Not just for atmos, but everything from the bass being way more balanced and powerful to the surround being more natural and impressive. Very glad I upgraded.
Yes I agree. The overheads seem much more active with the 3080. I’m pretty happy with the upgrade. While my 3040 always did well with the Atmos stuff the 3080 overheads are more pronounced. Sometimes when testing my shakers or whatever I’ll play the Dolby Atmos app stuff and forget to turn on my additional amp that powers my 4 overheads. So I’m getting just the base layer and with the 3040 it’s noticeable that I am losing some sound but with the 3080 it’s a huge difference. Lot more sound coming from overhead.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I posted a few pages back seeking advice about a 1080 vs 2080 - but that was before I knew if Outlaw would be able to fix my amp (5000 model 120x5 five channel). They were successful at repairing it and I will be using it with whatever AVR I purchase. My Yamaha 1040 doesn't do Dolby Vision, hence the need to upgrade.

Given that I'm using an amp and only running 5.1 and that will not be changing - is there any incentive to spring for a 2080 or 3080 over a 1080? I mean, I'm not restricted by a budget, but would I honestly see any noticeable difference between them with running a 5.1 using my amp?

I would think spending more for a 2080 or 3080 would be pointless - but is there something I'm overlooking?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I currently have an old Emotiva receiver that will be getting upgraded for an Atmos enabled receiver. One feature my Emotiva has is called "last digital" which allows me to watch TV and listen to music from a different input. I often like to watch sporting events (Directv) and listen to music (from either my CD player or stream music from my iMac's iTunes library). Has anyone tried this with their Marantz? I'm thinking it could be possible utilizing the 2nd HDMI out (the non-ARC one). Thanks.

I realize Yamaha's version of room correction is YPAO, what's the word on the different versions? I see the 3080 has "Ultra Premium" the 2080 has "Premium" and the 1080 apparently has the base version of YPAO. I'm guessing there has been discussion of this vs Dirac and Audyssey. I'll do some searching the threads.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I. I often like to watch sporting events (Directv) and listen to music (from either my CD player or stream music from my iMac's iTunes library). Has anyone tried this with their Marantz? I'm thinking it could be possible utilizing the 2nd HDMI out (the non-ARC one).
When on an audio source you can use the option button and select one of the 7 HDMI inputs to simultaneously display. So watch the match and listen to the internet radio commentary or music etc...

·
Registered
833 Posts
I currently have an old Emotiva receiver that will be getting upgraded for an Atmos enabled receiver. One feature my Emotiva has is called "last digital" which allows me to watch TV and listen to music from a different input. I often like to watch sporting events (Directv) and listen to music (from either my CD player or stream music from my iMac's iTunes library). Has anyone tried this with their Marantz? I'm thinking it could be possible utilizing the 2nd HDMI out (the non-ARC one). Thanks.

I realize Yamaha's version of room correction is YPAO, what's the word on the different versions? I see the 3080 has "Ultra Premium" the 2080 has "Premium" and the 1080 apparently has the base version of YPAO. I'm guessing there has been discussion of this vs Dirac and Audyssey. I'll do some searching the threads.
I didn’t even realize there was another tier of ypao. I thought the 2080 and 3080 had the same version . Wonder what I’m missing out on now. Lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
I didn’t even realize there was another tier of ypao. I thought the 2080 and 3080 had the same version . Wonder what I’m missing out on now. Lol
I too thought YPAO with Reflective Sound Correction was the highest version. I think there's also YPAO without RSC but those are the only 2 I'm familiar with. I have not seen a "premium" above YPAO with RSC but will take a look now.

I have YPAO with RSC in my A2080 and it works great. Excellent clarity and imaging when enabled. I did demo a Denon X4400 and it had a little more slam in the bass but the audio was also a little more "muddy." I preferred the clarity of the Yamaha and YPAO with RSC overall however I think Denons top tier Audyssey could take the edge for movies.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've had the A1080 for about 9 months and I've had to change the batteries in the remote 3 times. Usually remote batteries last a long time. Is it maybe because it is backlit? Anyone else's remote having that issue?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've had the A1080 for about 9 months and I've had to change the batteries in the remote 3 times. Usually remote batteries last a long time. Is it maybe because it is backlit? Anyone else's remote having that issue?
I've had mine for about the same, couple months longer maybe. Not heavy use maybe 4-5 times week for a few hrs... Batts still good. Probably depends on useage..

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have two A3010s purchased in 2010, an A3040 purchased in 2014, and an A3070 purchased this year. I hardly ever use the remotes, but all are still on their factory original batteries.

There must be something wrong with your remote, or you use it very frequently. You can always get a universal remote, like a Harmony, and do away with using your A1080 remote.

-J.C.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My one year old 2080 remote's factory batteries are still working.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Quick question on the 3080 and watching Netflix with Atmos on Xbox or Appletv. Should the 3080 be set to straight or surround decode?

1501 - 1520 of 2727 Posts