AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 2701 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I am trying to decide between 2080 and 3080. Is the 400$ difference worth the upgrade to 3080? Please help. My setup.

LCR - KEF Ci4100
4 Height Speakers - KEF Ci200QR
Surround - KEF Ci160TS
Dual SVS SB-2000

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi, I am trying to decide between 2080 and 3080. Is the 400$ difference worth the upgrade to 3080? Please help. My setup.

LCR - KEF Ci4100
4 Height Speakers - KEF Ci200QR
Surround - KEF Ci160TS
Dual SVS SB-2000
I'm making the same choice myself. I think the main improvement the 3080 offers over the AVRs below it is the top tier YAPO.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the 1080 or 3080. Can anyone comment on the higher tier YAPO on the 3080 vs lower tiers? I wonder if it can finally compete, or pull ahead of, XT32 on the D&Ms..

The value for money is always in the 2xxx series. They are closer in specs to the 3xxx but closer in price to the 1xxx

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I'm making the same choice myself. I think the main improvement the 3080 offers over the AVRs below it is the top tier YAPO.
Correct, the 3080 uses 64 bit processing in its YPAO and eq calculations. Of course, the 3080 also supports 11 channels, though only has power amps for 9 (i.e., you need to use an external amp for two of them).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think I will able to connect external amp on both. They both are on sale now on amazon.
If you really want a sale price check out accessories4less.
I wouldn't deal with accessories4less. I bought a refurbished RX-A3070 from them that had issues. They were very slow to respond to emails, were rude (claiming I didn't know what I was doing), and after I confirmed the issue with Yamaha USA tech support and filled out accessories4less online RMA form they quit responding altogether. After seven days of no contact from them filed a chargeback and that eventually got their attention.

They wanted to charge me shipping both ways and a 20% restocking fee for a defective refurb. I don't know who does their refurbishing, but it is clear the refurbished units are not all 100% working. Eventually they took the defective unit back and I got a full refund and purchased elsewhere. They also have horrible online reviews. I will never use them again.

Stick to getting brand new unit from a reputable online dealer with good customer service and a good return policy, like Amazon.com

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think I will able to connect external amp on both. They both are on sale now on amazon.
If you really want a sale price check out accessories4less.
I wouldn't deal with accessories4less. I bought a refurbished RX-A3070 from them that had issues. They were very slow to respond to emails, were rude (claiming I didn't know what I was doing), and after I confirmed the issue with Yamaha USA tech support and filled out accessories4less online RMA form they quit responding altogether. After seven days of no contact from them filed a chargeback and that eventually got their attention.

They wanted to charge me shipping both ways and a 20% restocking fee for a defective refurb. I don't know who does their refurbishing, but it is clear the refurbished units are not all 100% working. Eventually they took the defective unit back and I got a full refund and purchased elsewhere. They also have horrible online reviews. I will never use them again.

Stick to getting brand new unit from a reputable online dealer with good customer service and a good return policy, like Amazon.com
Wow that's interesting to hear. I've bought 6 recievers from them without issue and they've been repsonsive to my emails and calls.

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts
I tried another one (same brand). Same issue.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in. There are plenty of A9G owners, but not many who have it paired with the Yamaha.
You can call up the manufacturer's and see what they say but the person below is right, ARC seems to work or or does not......

Well I have a Sony A8F and a yamaha 683 receiver and same cable as you have. I was told ARC can be difficult to get working properly so I never use it. Stream from a Roku connected to yamaha and have never had an issue. If I choose to use the Sony apps for any reason I have my audio coming from an optical out to yamaha.
Yes it can be and in some cases it just will not work....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is Amazon an authorized seller for these Yamaha receivers? I’ve been waiting for a sale on them somewhere like Crutchfeild or Best Buy but so far nada. I just don’t want to get screwed if there ends up being something to warranty.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is Amazon an authorized seller for these Yamaha receivers? I’️ve been waiting for a sale on them somewhere like Crutchfeild or Best Buy but so far nada. I just don’️t want to get screwed if there ends up being something to warranty.
Amazon is indeed an authorized Yamaha dealer. However, most other third-party sellers on Amazon are not. Just make sure the listing says ships from and sold by Amazon.com. See this link for more details:

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/unauthorized_sellers/index.html

Yamaha said:
We note that unauthorized sellers may appear on a marketplace site, hosted by companies such as Amazon.com or Bestbuy.com. While Amazon.com and Bestbuy.com themselves are authorized dealers, some sellers on their marketplaces are not, so you should always confirm that the seller is authorized by Yamaha.

·
Registered
977 Posts
For Yamaha owners with a newer Sony model - A9G in my case. Sony advised me to erase the cache data on the problematic app (Netflix in my case) and be sure output is set to Auto 2 instead of Auto 1.

Switching to Auto 2 did not solve my audio dropouts via ARC. However, since clearing the cache, I have yet to experience any problems.

Fingers crossed that it solves the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The current sale says ships from and sold by Amazon. Does that mean I'm safe?
Yes, if it says it's sold by and ships from Amazon.com, you are safe, that's being purchased directly from Amazon.com, and they are an authorized Yamaha dealer. If you are an Amazon Prime member you also get free 1 or 2 day shipping (depending on where you live). Amazon.com as the seller also has the best return policy: free returns for any reason within 30 days.

-J.C.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm all of a sudden having HDCP problems with my 3080. My DirecTV works fine. However, all of a sudden my Oppo UDP-203 and my Roku Ultra are no longer coming up on my TCL tv through the 3080. I have hooked both directly to the tv and they work fine. I purchased the receiver this year at Best Buy and have the Geek Squad warranty. Should I pack the receiver up and take it to Best Buy? Any other thoughts what it might be. The cables work fine.

·
Registered
22,163 Posts
I'm all of a sudden having HDCP problems with my 3080. My DirecTV works fine. However, all of a sudden my Oppo UDP-203 and my Roku Ultra are no longer coming up on my TCL tv through the 3080. I have hooked both directly to the tv and they work fine. I purchased the receiver this year at Best Buy and have the Geek Squad warranty. Should I pack the receiver up and take it to Best Buy? Any other thoughts what it might be. The cables work fine.
What you should do is replace some HDMI cables. Get some Certified Premium cables from Monoprice or the like. Start with the cable that connects AVR to TV.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello. I have all Monoprice Certified cables hooked up all the way around. I went through and switched cables around to make sure there were none bad when hooking up directly to the TCL TV. The cables worked fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello. I have all Monoprice Certified cables hooked up all the way around. I went through and switched cables around to make sure there were none bad when hooking up directly to the TCL TV. The cables worked fine.
I'm having the same issue and posted about it a few posts back. It works fine and grabs on to the signal after a few seconds most of the time, but when it acts up, sometimes it requires powering everything on and off a few times before I can get it to lock into my signal. I've tried various resolutions and it made no difference, it even struggles with 1080p sometimes. I have all monoprice premium certified cables as well. I've also tried another brand, no difference. It's not the cables, the Yamaha AVRs seem to be a bit more finicky about HDMI than I've experienced with Onkyo and Denon. The 3080 is the only thing that has changed in my setup recently, replacing a Denon 4520CI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue and posted about it a few posts back. It works fine and grabs on to the signal after a few seconds most of the time, but when it acts up, sometimes it requires powering everything on and off a few times before I can get it to lock into my signal. I've tried various resolutions and it made no difference, it even struggles with 1080p sometimes. I have all monoprice premium certified cables as well. I've also tried another brand, no difference. It's not the cables, the Yamaha AVRs seem to be a bit more finicky about HDMI than I've experienced with Onkyo and Denon. The 3080 is the only thing that has changed in my setup recently, replacing a Denon 4520CI.
I am having the same issue with the RX-A1080 connected to my TCL 75R615-CA: When the receiver source is Chromecast, the TV works fine. When source is Roku Ultra, and HDMI mode is set to 1.4, the TV keeps hunting for signal for a few seconds before finally working. If HDMI mode is set to 2.0, the TV never "locks in" signal with the Roku Ultra. I found this partial solution after fiddling for hours with the settings on the receiver and the TV. I am wondering if there are other settings that might help.

1541 - 1560 of 2701 Posts