1721 - 1740 of 2815 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Not sure I care for the look of the new Aventage receivers. :(

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Damn I like it but WTF. They didn't learn from the sneaky Denon x3600 release. If they wanted to step it up and get Onkyo guys like me to jump onto the Yamaha train, the A4 (1080) should have been able to expand to 9 channels and the A6 (2080) should have been able to expand to 11.

I am sure they will still sell a **** ton of them and don't need my input, but that would have been awesome to see

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Yeah, as a long time Yamaha owner (like 3 decades now), I think the look is pretty ugly. Can't imagine what they were thinking...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Damn I like it but WTF. They didn't learn from the sneaky Denon x3600 release. If they wanted to step it up and get Onkyo guys like me to jump onto the Yamaha train, the A4 (1080) should have been able to expand to 9 channels and the A6 (2080) should have been able to expand to 11.

I am sure they will still sell a **** ton of them and don't need my input, but that would have been awesome to see

I hope the A8 is a true 11 channel powering + processing instead of 9 powering and 2 processing requiring an external amp. They need something along the lines of Denon 6500, Marantz 8012 and Anthem 1120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was about to sat that.
For me, that's the main point to find out about this 2020 line.

Actually, shame on they if they are advertising 11 channels (without some asterisk or something) and the thing actually amplifies for 9.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really did not like the smaller display. Always considered a premium feature bigger and clearer displays.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-A3030 which has “Multi Ch Inputs”, as well as Pre-Outs.

If i purchase a 3070 or 3080 to add Atmos and newer features to my system, can i repurpose the 3030 as an external amp to power (either LCR or 4 Atmos/surrounds?) and use the 3080 to power either/or.

The power rating is same for both AVRs and they have the same design so it would look flush.

Can I purchase the RX-V1083/RX-V1085 to utilise for features and Atmos, can i? The power rating on these models is 120wpc than 150wpc. Or connect mains to 3030 and surrounds/Atmos to 1083/1085?

*The 1083/1085 are Canadian version of RX-A1070/1080. If i understand correctly.

Any advice would be appreciated ! Thanks!

Do not think so. “Multi Ch Inputs” have volume control from 3030. You need direct amplifier input connected straight to pre-aut 1080. If you do not want have trouble - look at 2080 or 3080.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi guys.

I currently power a Klipsch Reference II 5.2 system (2 sw115 subs) with an A2020 Yammy I bought back in 2012. Everything is great, and I love the system. But I am thinking of taking the plunge into Dolby Atmos...

I am looking at picking up 4 Klipsch RP-500SAs, to either fire up, and/or high wall mount them.

I think I like the specs of the Yamaha RX-A3080. The receiver is 9.2 channels, so I should be good right? 9 speakers and two subs? And I will plug the RF500As into the 2 front presence and 2 rear presence posts, right?

I will be playing 4k Blu Rays from a Panasonic UB9000, running sound to the A3080.

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do not think so. “Multi Ch Inputs” have volume control from 3030. You need direct amplifier input connected straight to pre-aut 1080. If you do not want have trouble - look at 2080 or 3080.

So that would mean I can’t repurpose an AVR as an amp ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
So that would mean I can’t repurpose an AVR as an amp ?

You can use AVR us AMP with source have fixing output signal level, as CD pleer for example. Output signal changed on pre-out AVR and coressponding with common volume level. Of couse, you can fix Volume Level at 3020 at max, but on my opinion this is not good choice. Just change it for same level from 80 linear.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Chromecast Ultra through Yamaha RX-A 1080

Hello!

[Note: I've also posted this in the Chromecast area but decided to post it here too in the hopes that a fellow RX-A 1080 owner might have some ideas.]

My HDMI stream is Chromecast Ultra > Yamaha RX-A 1080 > JVC DLA-X550R Projector. All devices are 4k capable. This equipment chain always shows 'No Input' on screen. Audio can be cast OK.

I tested and the Ultra 4k video works properly when connected directly to the JVC DLA-X550R Projector or via the HDMI cable from the AVR to the PJ. In other words, I eliminated the AVR from the stream, so it's not the cable or the projector. Checked all settings on the Yamaha AVR that I could think of without positive results. The AVR is at the latest firmware. Also, the AVR (and HDMI stream of components) works without issue with these other 4k devices as sources: Roku 4 - HD and 4K UHD Streaming Media Player, Samsung UBD-M8500 4k Blu-Ray Player and Roku Premiere 4K Streaming Media Player.

So, it appears that the Chromecast Ultra does not properly feed/handshake with the Yamaha RX-A 1080 - even though the AVR works fine with three other 4k source devices that I own.

I then chatted with Google's Chromecast Support line. In a nutshell, they say that Chromecast (of any type or level) doesn't support connections to anything other than a TV/projector. Although I have another, non-4k, Chromecast that works fine connected to an AVR, that doesn't mean that it's a supported configuration. This stance from Google/Chromecast seems ludicrous to me, but if that's their stance, is there any hope for my setup to work?

TIA.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I then chatted with Google's Chromecast Support line. In a nutshell, they say that Chromecast (of any type or level) doesn't support connections to anything other than a TV/projector. .
"Doesn't support" doesn't mean the same thing as "doesn't work", it just means they won't support it officially. Typical CSR cop-out.
Black screen with audio is usually due to an HDCP handshake fail. HDMI cable is the first thing to rule out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
"Doesn't support" doesn't mean the same thing as "doesn't work", it just means they won't support it officially. Typical CSR cop-out.
Black screen with audio is usually due to an HDCP handshake fail. HDMI cable is the first thing to rule out.
Thanks for your response. I agree with you - which is why I tested that possibility:

I tested and the Ultra 4k video works properly when connected directly to the JVC DLA-X550R Projector or via the HDMI cable from the AVR to the PJ. In other words, I eliminated the AVR from the stream, so it's not the cable or the projector. Checked all settings on the Yamaha AVR that I could think of without positive results. The AVR is at the latest firmware. Also, the AVR (and HDMI stream of components) works without issue with these other 4k devices as sources: Roku 4 - HD and 4K UHD Streaming Media Player, Samsung UBD-M8500 4k Blu-Ray Player and Roku Premiere 4K Streaming Media Player.
So, not only did I successfully prove that the cables aren't an issue - and that my other 4k devices work with my existing cables as well as my Yamaha, I narrowed the issue to the Chromecast Ultra not properly handshaking with the Yamaha.

What I'm now trying to learn is if there's a way around this impasse.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello!

[Note: I've also posted this in the Chromecast area but decided to post it here too in the hopes that a fellow RX-A 1080 owner might have some ideas.]

My HDMI stream is Chromecast Ultra > Yamaha RX-A 1080 > JVC DLA-X550R Projector. All devices are 4k capable. This equipment chain always shows 'No Input' on screen. Audio can be cast OK.

So, it appears that the Chromecast Ultra does not properly feed/handshake with the Yamaha RX-A 1080 - even though the AVR works fine with three other 4k source devices that I own.

I then chatted with Google's Chromecast Support line. In a nutshell, they say that Chromecast (of any type or level) doesn't support connections to anything other than a TV/projector. Although I have another, non-4k, Chromecast that works fine connected to an AVR, that doesn't mean that it's a supported configuration. This stance from Google/Chromecast seems ludicrous to me, but if that's their stance, is there any hope for my setup to work?

TIA.
May by try to use suitable HDMI splitter, 1x2 Dr SP 125 SL/ HDMI ver.2.0 for example?

·
Registered
557 Posts
May by try to use suitable HDMI splitter, 1x2 Dr SP 125 SL/ HDMI ver.2.0 for example?
Thank you for your response. I've read elsewhere that adding a HDMI splitter to the HDMI stream may help the Chromecast Ultra to function through the AVR but I'm unsure why that might help. I'm not at all saying it won't, but I don't understand why it will - or at least could. Any insight?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you for your response. I've read elsewhere that adding a HDMI splitter to the HDMI stream may help the Chromecast Ultra to function through the AVR but I'm unsure why that might help. I'm not at all saying it won't, but I don't understand why it will - or at least could. Any insight?
Cose Chromecast Ultra connected to TV from output 1 and for AVR input from splitter out 2. In this case you split video (for TV) and audio (for AVR)

1721 - 1740 of 2815 Posts