AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Yamaha RX-A3080, RX-A2080 and RX-A1080 AVENTAGE AVR Thread

805K views 4K replies 592 participants last post by  budwich 
#1 · (Edited)

RX-A3080

Click Support Tab for PDF Manual
(North America/USA version)

Born from Engineering Performance. Our flagship 9.2-channel (11.2-ch processing)
AV receiver was bred for versatility and engineering performance with two ESS SABRE™ DACs (one ES9007S and one ES9026PRO),
seven HDMI inputs, three HDMI outputs, Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™, Multi-Zone functionality,
Phono input, Wi-Fi®, YPAO™ with Precision EQ and much more.

9.2-ch with (11.2-channel processing, 2-channel XLR) Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and CINEMA DSP HD3 with Zone 2/3/4
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, AirPlay®, Spotify Connect and MusicCast multi-room
New Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound in real-time
HDMI with HDCP 2.2 (7-in/3-out)
4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
ESS SABRE PRO ES9026PRO Ultra DAC and SABRE ES9007S DAC for high performance conversion
Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
YPAO R.S.C., Multipoint, 3D and Precision EQ
Voice control using your Alexa device like Echo or Echo Dot
Phono Input

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

RX-A2080

RX-A2080 AVENTAGE 9.2-Channel AV Receiver with MusicCast New

Unbridled Performance and Function. This 9.2-channel AV receiver harnesses dual ESS SABRE™ DACs,
seven HDMI inputs, three HDMI outputs, Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™, Multi-Zone functionality,
Phono input, Wi-Fi®, YPAO™ with Precision EQ and much more.

9.2-ch Dolby Atmos, DTS:X (7.2.2-ch or 5.2.4-ch) and CINEMA DSP HD3 with Zone 2/3/4
4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
HDMI with HDCP 2.2 (7 in/3 out)
Dual ESS SABRE ES9007S Premier Audio DACs for high performance conversion
YPAO R.S.C., multipoint, 3D and precision EQ
Phono input

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

RX-A1080

Architected for Performance. Constructed for performance, this 7.2-channel AV receiver
features an ESS SABRE™ DAC, seven HDMI inputs, three HDMI outputs, Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™,
Zone 2 function, Phono input, Wi-Fi®, YPAO™ with Precision EQ and much more.

7.2-ch Dolby Atmos, DTS:X (5.2.2-ch) and CINEMA DSP HD3
4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
HDMI with HDCP 2.2 (7 in/3 out)
ESS SABRE ES9007S Premier Audio DAC for high performance conversion
YPAO R.S.C., multipoint and precision EQ
Phono input

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Biggest change in 2018 is the addition of Surround Artificial Intelligence (AKA Sound AI)

2018 updates vs 2017 Aventage Models:

• Surround Artificial Intellegence
  • Wireless Multi-Cast Surround
  • 1-More HDMI Output (Zone 2) for 3 Total
  • 2-XLR Pre-Outs (Front L/R Speakers)
  • New Back-Lit remote, with 8 Scene buttons
  • Bluetooth version 4.2 (receiver only)
  • 5.8Ghz WiFi support added
  • Improved GUI (?)

Removed from 2017 Models:

• 1-HMDI input from Front Panel (absent on 2018 models)
  • Number of Scenes reduced from 12 to 8 (4 less on 2018 models)
  • Bluetooth V2.1 Receiver and Transmitter (Transmitter eliminated on 2018 models)
  • Up-Mixing of Dolby Digital, DD+ and TrueHD will be limited to Dolby Surround (or a Yamaha DSP mode) on New 2018 models
    (2017 models can still use Neural:X Up-Mixer on any sound format, up to 7.1.4)

2017 Aventage Remote (Left) 2018 Aventage Remote (Right)

3rd HDMI Out (New for 2018)

Rear Panel changes

Hidden Front panel changes (HDMI IN *Gone*)

So the HDMI IN count drops from 8 to 7, and they provide on extra HDMI Out instead.

I found the front HDMI access very handy to hook up a Laptop to run a quick REW sweep
or for a quick temporary hookup to an HDMI capable Camcorder/GoPro without pulling the AVR out of the rack.

....more to be added as I get time

:)

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
Mysteriously Missing from the 2018 User Manuals: Web Control Center
I'm not sure why it was not included, but I have heard it still works on the new 2018's, perhaps somewhat more limited though

Here's the instructions from the 2017 RX-A3070/2070 manual to access the app from a laptop via wifi router:

You can save as many backup files/speaker configurations and YPAO settings as your laptop can hold,
just make sure you name them appropriately in a file folder named for quick access.

**Now to go one step further, that worked on the Previous Generation Yamaha's (Yet to be confirmed on the 2018 Models)
If you enter "/Setup" after your Yamaha's IP in your browsers address bar, You get every possible setting in your AVR

How to Find your AVR's IP address (after you have it setup on your Network)
Instructions Here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2831721-yamaha-rx-a3070-a2070-a1070-aventage-owners-thread-47.html#post55269990

...a few screen shots of my laptop from my Old RX-A3050:

Once I get more information/confirmation I will update the first reserved spot

;)

#21 ·
Mysteriously Missing from the 2018 User Manuals: Web Control Center
I'm not sure why it was not included, but I have heard it still works on the new 2018's, perhaps somewhat more limited though

Once I get more information/confirmation I will update the first reserved spot

;)

I posted about this earlier in the other thread (2018 Yamaha RX-A Line). The main web control interface is gone, reduced to a text menu with a few options. The advanced setup menu accessed by putting "Setup" in the URL, like in your picture above, is still there and appears to be fully functional.

#9 · (Edited)
Wow, that's extremely disappointing
(as a long time Yamaha user (4 decades), and notorious settings tweeker)
Maybe that's why its been omitted from the new 2018 user manuals :rolleyes:

Setting your own PEQ values was a breeze with the web controller interface,
I sure hope Yamaha doesn't do that to the their 2018 Flagship CX-A5200 Pre/Pro too ...

As many know, YPAO is notoriously weak when it comes to Sub EQ, only 4 Bands of Sub EQ and limited to >31.3Hz
and many turn to a better mic like a UMIK-1/Omni Mic and use REW to make manual PEQ corrections down to 16Hz
Some even turn to an external DSP like miniDSP/Antimode for multiple sub configurations. (Guilty on all counts!)

Can you access this menu?

#17 ·

#19 ·
Who knows... this is disappointing. I have never owned a Yamaha before but the web feature was definitely something I would want to use if I get one. I am seriously leaning towards a 3080.

Silly question, but you can still access all of the PEQ settings in the GUI, correct?

#28 ·
I am thinking about purchasing either the 1080 or 2080. I understand the 2080 EQ's duel subs individually whereas the 1080 does not. My set-up has two identical subs equal distant from the MLP. Considering this, would it be beneficial to go with the 2080 or ''get by'' with the 1080? Thanks in advance.

#29 ·
No real benefit going to the 2080 for Sub EQ alone for your setup.

...but if you ever plan to venture down the ATMOS path
a 9 Channel AVR is preferred over a 7 channel.

5.1.4 > 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 or 7.1

...and only the 2080/3080 can do 5.1.4

You can't add an external amp to a 1080 for 5.1.4 like many Denon/Marantz models.

..also worth noting, Only the 3080 can expand to 7.1.4 (11 channel processing)
with the addition of an external amp. (The 2080 will always be limited to 9 channels 5.1.4 or 7.1.2)

#32 ·
Well most on AVS are reporting the Surround AI is useless,
So are there any other things on the list you gain worth what you have to give up?
Only you can decide.

Some here would have you believe its worth it just for the remote alone,
So I guess it all depends on what your priorities are, not ours :p

From the First Post:

The 3060 and 3070 are pretty much the same,
and the only major difference from those over the 3050 was Dolby Vision
...and the Enhanced DSP mode.

Attachments

#33 ·
How to pair bluetooth headphones to new Yamaha receiver

Hi there,
I've utilized the info in the AVS Forum for a long time, but this is my first post.
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-A1080 AV receiver to upgrade my system to 4K.
One feature I was attracted to was the ability to listen to my audio with bluetooth headphones, but despite my best efforts I cannot figure out how to pair my headphones with it! I've gone through the very long user manual, but they don't really discuss it. There are several long menus, but I can't find a bluetooth transmitter option.
I've seen some mention online of using Zone 2, but again, I can't find anything on my system.
Does anyone know how to do this? I'm pretty sure it's been a feature on the last few upper-line Yamaha receivers.
Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

#471 ·
Hi there,
I've utilized the info in the AVS Forum for a long time, but this is my first post.
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-A1080 AV receiver to upgrade my system to 4K.
One feature I was attracted to was the ability to listen to my audio with bluetooth headphones, but despite my best efforts I cannot figure out how to pair my headphones with it! I've gone through the very long user manual, but they don't really discuss it. There are several long menus, but I can't find a bluetooth transmitter option.
I've seen some mention online of using Zone 2, but again, I can't find anything on my system.
Does anyone know how to do this? I'm pretty sure it's been a feature on the last few upper-line Yamaha receivers.
Thanks very much for any help you can provide!
Focal makes a plug in APTX BT transmitter that would get you where you want to go. You can pick them up through Crutchfield I believe.

#36 ·
Thanks to all of your for your responses.
That's just so frustrating. I'm positive that streaming to a Bluetooth headset was listed as a feature when I was doing my research, but it seems sites have since changed that. It's so irritating that a useful feature like that was discarded.
I really like the new Surround Ai feature in the 1080, and I got a good price, so I guess I'll probably just run a long headphone cable when I want to use it..
Thanks again for your info though!

#37 ·
A lot of website simply cut and paste last years info, add in a few new additions and then whack up a price on their site to attract buyers.
Putting it simply, they don't fact check or read manuals as it takes them too long - meaning they end up annoying customers.

Why remove Bluetooth output?
A lot of people wanted to watch TV and listen through Bluetooth headphones, however as you can't guarantee lip sync it would only serve to annoy people.
When Yamaha first released amps with the Bluetooth transmit functionality you could end up with lag that was close to 2 seconds! The latest generation to feature the tech was a lot better though, sometimes the lip sync would be out, but it would quickly catch back up. Still, it wasn't perfect so I'm guessing Yamaha wrote it off as a 'good idea', but 'not quite right'.

#39 · (Edited)
Got my new 3080 hooked up yesterday and ran YPAO. I was expecting pretty much the same sonic experience as my 3050, but it is definitely different. I don't know if it is a difference in YPAO causing it, but my speakers are even brighter and more forward then before. I need to hook back up my 3050 and look at the speaker settings to see what is different. I did watch Solo on it last night in Atmos and the experience was pretty good, but I would be curious how it compares to my 3050 now. I know music is a real mixed bag on it.

To backup the point around Surround: AI I would also agree it is pretty useless. Not sure what the point even is. Also, the remote is NOT aluminium as someone previously stated. It is 100% plastic, but still feels nice in the hand and I do appreciate the new backlighting. I do NOT like the flush, membrane buttons as it is much harder to tell exactly where my thumb is which sometimes leads to mistakes. I like the "improved" interface over my 3050, but I have no idea if it is any different than what was on the 3070/3060. The only trivial thing that has gotten under my skin is the use of 'Dsur' for Dolby Surround on the front display. My 3050 had the Dolby logo and 'Surround' after it. I don't care for it..... just feels kind of cheap.....

Reactions: Reynaldo
#40 ·
On page 60 of the 1080 manual it states that ''Dolby Atmos contents are decoded as Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus (when) neither surround back nor presence speakers are used.'' Does this mean that if you have front presence but no surround back speakers (in my case) that you won't be able to obtain Dolby Atmos?

#45 ·
There are some reports in forums that the audio quality of the A3070 is lower than the A3060. I do not know if this is true.
As I have the A3060 and I like its quality too much, I'm afraid to switch to the A3080.
I have a doubt with regard to the A3080, it does not further decode Dolby Digital, DD + and Dolby TrueHD? Now it's Dolby Surround?

#46 · (Edited)
The sound from the 3060 to 3070 is identical,
WhatHiFi simply got their review wrong, when they gave it a 3 star initial rating,
and later released a correction and apology for the low rating on the 3070.

Source: https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a3070/review

All new 2018 Yamaha's still decode DD, DD+ and TrueHD
...the limitation is that you can no longer use a DTS based up-mixer (AKA Neural:X) on those sources.
Only Dolby Surround can be applied to a Dolby based audio source, or a standard Yamaha DSP mode.

This is imposed by Dolby, not Yamaha.

You cad still apply Dolby Surround on any audio source, even a DTS based format.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#57 ·
Did you Really need to quote the entire first post to ask a one line question?

#58 ·
MultiCast Surround

I just went over this in the lower 2018 Aventage thread and worth discussing here as well. Although the lower "A" models shipped with this feature on board, these higher models will receive the feature via a future firmware update (ETA unknown). Note however, that when using MusicCast speakers as wireless surrounds, you are limited to a 5.1 setup only.

#62 ·
I just went over this in the lower 2018 Aventage thread and worth discussing here as well. Although the lower "A" models shipped with this feature on board, these higher models will receive the feature via a future firmware update (ETA unknown). Note however, that when using MusicCast speakers as wireless surrounds, you are limited to a 5.1 setup only.

Although it wasn't an RX-A1080/2080/3080... I did play with a wireless rear speaker today on an RXV685.
It was setup in a 5.1.2 configuration and the rear speakers worked happily during the ATMOS demo disc.
However, when I reconfigured it to run 7.1, the amplifier wouldn't allow me to use surround backs as well as the WX050 speaker.
Sooooo - it appears that you can run L/C/R and SR / SL + front heights...
But not L/C/R/SR/SL/RL/RR...

#59 ·
On the 3080, you can easily identify the incoming audio format via the onscreen display, but only when the display is set to the HDMI input for the receiver. Is there any way to get information on the audio format/channels when the display is on another input with the audio going to the Yamaha via ARC? I was hoping maybe the AV controller app would have that, but it doesn’t seem to.

#67 ·
Hello, does anyone know if the 3080 can apply dolby surround to a dts signal and apply dts neural to a dolby signal?
You can use Dolby Surround on any bitstreamed source, even a DTS signal,
But you cannot use DTS based Neural:X on any Dolby Digital, DD+, or Dolby TrueHD bitstream on any 2018 Yamaha model.
(only models 2017 or lower can do both with either format)