AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't think I have seen a really bad review of this yet, which makes me more hopeful and excited to see it.

‘The Old Guard’ Review: Charlize Theron Is Immortal In Winning Comic Book Action Flick That Should Spark Netflix Franchise

By Pete Hammond

Smartly diverse casting in front of and behind the scenes adds a whiff of freshness to the comic book genre with The Old Guard, an action entry likely to kick off a smart genre franchise for Netflix, which starts streaming it Friday. Charlize Theron is the veteran leader of a pack of immortal mercenaries, a ragtag quartet who were once killed but quickly returned to life and have bonded over the centuries to fight crime where it needs to be fought, but seem weary that human history just can’t seem to stop repeating itself. In The Old Guard, she proves again she is tops in the action field, as if that needed proving after stints in Atomic Blonde, The Fate of the Furious, and of course, Mad Max: Fury Road.

Here as Andy, who first learned she couldn’t die centuries before as we see on a battlefield with her close dying companion Quynh (Van Veronica Ngo) in occasional flashbacks that still haunt her, Theron has a been there-done that attitude as she takes on what is thought to be an assignment to help a number of teens in South Sudan as the bequest of ex-CIA’er Copley (a shrewdly cagey Chiwetel Ejiofor). That doesn’t turn out to be the case, and is actually a ruse to try to capture some of her troupe for DNA experiments by the head of a pharmaceutical company, and our chief villain Merrick (Harry Melling of Harry Potter fame). He wants the info and key to what makes them tick and will stop at nothing to get it.

In no time he has compromised immortals Joe (Marwan Kenzari) and Nicky (Luca Marinelli), who have been joined at the hip since falling in love during the Crusades. Putting a gay couple in key action roles in a franchise-wannabe like this is not only different, it is refreshing, just one of the nice diverse touches in Greg Rucka’s adaptation of his graphic novel. Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love & Basketball, Beyond the Lights) is also an inspired if unexpected choice to direct, and she acquits herself nicely behind the camera on this large-scale production, deftly balancing big martial arts-style action with well-developed character scenes.

At any rate, that stop in South Sudan leads to the rare discovery for Andy of yet another immortal who unknowingly is about to be indoctrinated into her never-ending life, the first they have come across in roughly 200 years. That would be U.S. Marine Nile Freeman (KiKi Layne), a kickass recruit who becomes a very reluctant mentee in this fight. Layne (If Beale Street Could Talk) demonstrates talents she didn’t get to show in that Barry Jenkins film, and she electrifies the screen here, a perfect match for Theron. The other component of this group is Booker (an excellent Matthias Schoenaerts), a somewhat morose guy who can’t help dwelling on his past(s) that started for him during the Napoleanic Wars.

Somehow there is lots of excitement here, even though at its heart we know there is no way they can kill our heroes, whether by stabbing, shooting, beating up or any other method, and I suppose that, like X Men, is why it makes for an irresistible franchise candidate. Certainly this is a very watchable and likeable bunch, and if you stick through the credits you will see their numbers could be ripe to grow. For those who need a summer comic book fix, this hits the mark nicely.

Theron, A.J. Dix, Don Granger, David Ellison, Marc Evans, Dana Goldberg and Beth Kono are producers of the Netflix and Skydance enterprise. Check out my video review above with scenes from the film.

https://deadline.com/video/the-old-guard-review-charlize-theron-netflix/

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Theron played a similar character in Hancock with Will Smith in that they were powered entities that lived for centuries.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I just read an article that Theron really injured herself doing the fight scenes. She had to have surgery on her left thumb and elbow after filing was complete. That’s definitely more extreme than shooting a period piece where the only hardship is getting cinched up into a corset and riding a horse side saddle.
I am not saying they don't go through a lot for their job, I am just saying they are usually very well compensated compared to a lot of jobs. I know plenty of people that have had job related injuries that don't take home millions of dollars at a time. I certainly never said anything about the ease of their jobs, or about corsets, so I am not sure where that came from.

Reactions: Ben23

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I am not saying they don't go through a lot for their job, I am just saying they are usually very well compensated compared to a lot of jobs. I know plenty of people that have had job related injuries that don't take home millions of dollars at a time. I certainly never said anything about the ease of their jobs, or about corsets, so I am not sure where that came from.
Wow, you really took my original comment seriously. That was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek, poking fun at the actors’ situations these days. I am not some Hollywood rights activist complaining about working conditions of these poor thespians.

And the corsets comment came from the fact that I said they now had to go through arduous training instead of just showing up to set in a period costume to recite their lines.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Wow, you really took my original comment seriously. That was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek, poking fun at the actors’ situations these days. I am not some Hollywood rights activist complaining about working conditions of these poor thespians.

And the corsets comment came from the fact that I said they now had to go through arduous training instead of just showing up to set in a period costume to recite their lines.
Well, yes, it is often difficult to recognize sarcasm or people being facetious when reading words. I understand now, and apologize.

Reactions: hooked01

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Very well done. I enjoyed it a lot. Not exactly breaking new ground, but the potential for increasingly complex historical convolution is (almost literally) infinite. I imagine the source comic (unfamiliar to me) is already well into all that, but the movie was nicely self-contained.

Having had candy before does not make me want more candy any less.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as Charlize always transforms herself for the role and completely immerses herself in it. I will definitely be watching this one again! :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Saw this last night and thought it was ok. There are several women in entertainment that many feel are some of the most beautiful woman of all time. Charleze being one of those. I find her just ok. In fact I found her to be just the best looking guy in this film. Granted with a few extra assets and a very long neck.

The other is Scarlett Johannson. To me again just ok. YMMV.

Mark

Reactions: shivaji

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Enjoyed this last night. Good, not great. Would welcome more based on how the narrative played out and the way it ended.

Does anyone know if this was intended as the first of a series of movies, if received well, or a set up movie for an eventual series/season treatment?

·
Registered
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Excellent movie with some amazingly deep backstory available that could go on a long time. Charlize rocks!

Any guesses on how old her character really is?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Saw this last night and thought it was ok. There are several women in entertainment that many feel are some of the most beautiful woman of all time. Charleze being one of those. I find her just ok. In fact I found her to be just the best looking guy in this film. Granted with a few extra assets and a very long neck.

The other is Scarlett Johannson. To me again just ok. YMMV.

Mark
Sorry to be, "that guy," but we, as guys, really shouldn't be judging female actors based on their attractiveness (hang with me, I'm learning too). Save this kind of talk for when you and your buddy are sitting around the campfire after a few too many, and NO ONE ELSE IS AROUND. Time and place for everything mate.

Now I haven't seen the new film, but I am a fan of Theron and Scarlett, and apart from their obvious physical attractiveness, they are both excellent at their craft. Highlights for me are Theron in Monster, Prometheus and Atomic Blonde, and Scarlett in Lost in Translation, Ghost World and all of her Black Widow performances in the MCU.

Reactions: llang269 and iamian

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I thought this was average/bad. Certainly nothing special. Some spoilers here.....

It has the benefit of being on Netflix (huge hype) and Charlize Theron - everything else about it is bad.

I've read reviews from people who've read the comic this is based on and apparently the movie ignores and removed all the good bits.

These are 4 immortals who have no skills at all. Capturing them is trivial - they get caught multiple times and its a wonder how they ever made it so far. The concept of immortality is not new - in every other treatment of this concept, the immortal is wise, has used knowledge to learn how to survive, amass wealth, allies etc and are ultra powerful. Not this bunch.

The writing is generic PC nonsense. Of *course* you have a gay couple, and all the females are more powerful, and you need a 20 something girl to come to the rescue.

The music is annoying - instead of building tension with an actual soundtrack, you have these bad pop songs at the strangest times.

Near the end, very weird scene that has the streets of London empty during the day as if its an apocalypse then all of a sudden you have thousands of people and cops show up as soon as the main characters walk off.

When you consider the actual plot, things get worse - Copley/Booker are decent guys but betray them to the drug CEO, knowing full well they'll be tortured for decades. This is like someone who discovers a way to access all the worlds data, break all encryption, and then decides to hand it over to the enessayh/Mark Zuckerberg, in the hopes that they will use it to better humanity and bring equality !! Instead of say, making the info public or giving it to any number of public universities etc.

No one is that naive or stupid - esp not a former CIA guy, and someone who's 1000s of years old and has seen everything.

All in all, typical Netflix original with a massive budget, bad writing/directing. Clearly setup for a sequel as well.

(w.r.t Andy's age, its revealed in the comic, its ~6700 years)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Sorry to be, "that guy," but we, as guys, really shouldn't be judging female actors based on their attractiveness (hang with me, I'm learning too). Save this kind of talk for when you and your buddy are sitting around the campfire after a few too many, and NO ONE ELSE IS AROUND. Time and place for everything mate.

Now I haven't seen the new film, but I am a fan of Theron and Scarlett, and apart from their obvious physical attractiveness, they are both excellent at their craft. Highlights for me are Theron in Monster, Prometheus and Atomic Blonde, and Scarlett in Lost in Translation, Ghost World and all of her Black Widow performances in the MCU.
Female celebs ARE going to be judged on looks, its a big part of why they are celebs to begin with. Doing so is not inappropriate or sexist, what is wrong is reducing someone only to one parameter. Almost all actors are judged on looks.

Another great and unknown Theron movie is Aeon Flux - she plays a very similar character.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Charlize Theron as Andy....she was excellent . I thought the film was great ; with an impressive array of layered performances and action-packed fight sequences, The Old Guard proves an interesting take on the action, fantasy genre. One of the better Netflix adaptations, fingers crossed there is a second installment.

Some of my favorite Charlize Theron film in the last few years. Both gems.​

21 - 40 of 85 Posts