AVS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts
...what is wrong is reducing someone only to one parameter. Almost all actors are judged on looks.
I'm not going to disagree with your statement, however the quote I was referencing was doing exactly that, "objectifying" the named actresses.

SPOILER...do not read if you have not watched.....

I liked it........was not dongled full of propaganda .....you can tell it was not shoveled thru the hollywood garbage machine before production.

With creative freedom once again, now that many directors and actors are breaking the hollywood chains, we might get some great movies again.

Good simple action flic with a decent story, had some feel good to it and no forced garbage.....I enjoyed it.......

Looked like it was already planned for part 2 with bottom of the ocean girl at the end showing up. I am eager to find how warped 500 years on the bottom of the ocean can make a person....there has to be some pent up angst and ptsd there.

I thought this was average/bad. Certainly nothing special. Some spoilers here.....

It has the benefit of being on Netflix (huge hype) and Charlize Theron - everything else about it is bad.

I've read reviews from people who've read the comic this is based on and apparently the movie ignores and removed all the good bits.

These are 4 immortals who have no skills at all. Capturing them is trivial - they get caught multiple times and its a wonder how they ever made it so far. The concept of immortality is not new - in every other treatment of this concept, the immortal is wise, has used knowledge to learn how to survive, amass wealth, allies etc and are ultra powerful. Not this bunch.

The writing is generic PC nonsense. Of *course* you have a gay couple, and all the females are more powerful, and you need a 20 something girl to come to the rescue.

The music is annoying - instead of building tension with an actual soundtrack, you have these bad pop songs at the strangest times.

Near the end, very weird scene that has the streets of London empty during the day as if its an apocalypse then all of a sudden you have thousands of people and cops show up as soon as the main characters walk off.

When you consider the actual plot, things get worse - Copley/Booker are decent guys but betray them to the drug CEO, knowing full well they'll be tortured for decades. This is like someone who discovers a way to access all the worlds data, break all encryption, and then decides to hand it over to the enessayh/Mark Zuckerberg, in the hopes that they will use it to better humanity and bring equality !! Instead of say, making the info public or giving it to any number of public universities etc.

No one is that naive or stupid - esp not a former CIA guy, and someone who's 1000s of years old and has seen everything.

All in all, typical Netflix original with a massive budget, bad writing/directing. Clearly setup for a sequel as well.

(w.r.t Andy's age, its revealed in the comic, its ~6700 years)
I agree with you, watched last night and your summary is spot on. Great picture and sound, but just okay story, although I like Greg Rucka's work.

SPOILER...do not read if you have not watched.....

I liked it........was not dongled full of propaganda .....you can tell it was not shoveled thru the hollywood garbage machine before production.

With creative freedom once again, now that many directors and actors are breaking the hollywood chains, we might get some great movies again.

Good simple action flic with a decent story, had some feel good to it and no forced garbage
Well except for the homosexual dudes with the onscreen kiss, yeah no propaganda or forced garbage....

Well except for the homosexual dudes with the onscreen kiss, yeah no propaganda or forced garbage....

That`s pretty normal stuff now, plus I live in cali, so nothing new there.

........it certainly did not stand out to me .......it was presented well........unlike many aspects of many movies, which goes back to my original statement.

I am really liking the netflix entity allowing director/script/actor freedoms.......... hollywood has been digging its own grave for while, but has been the only game in town, so you play it.

Now I haven't seen the new film, but I am a fan of Theron and Scarlett, and apart from their obvious physical attractiveness, they are both excellent at their craft. Highlights for me are Theron in Monster, Prometheus and Atomic Blonde, and Scarlett in Lost in Translation, Ghost World and all of her Black Widow performances in the MCU.
No Scarlett in "Lucy" ?

I feel bad for all these actors nowadays. Before, to prepare for a role, you’d read the script, memorize your lines, and maybe shadow someone in real life that has the job that your character does to get a feel for your role. Now you have to go into boot camp, weapons training and 6 months of diet and fitness training.
Yep, they sure ask a lot of a person for only 10 million dollars or so a film.

I'll watch :) kind of/sort of reminds me of the Highlander series quite a while back
Highlander, great movie. Too bad they never made any sequels. I watched The Old Guard last night. Went in knowing nothing as I prefer to watch my movies that way.

You are spot on even if the rules of this universe are a little different. I felt especially reminded of Highlander by:

1. Carrying swords and such.
2. Being able to sense each other.

Part of what made Highlander great was the soundtrack (Queen). Unfortunately I thought the score on The Old Guard was its low point.

Plot Twist: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

That`s pretty normal stuff now, plus I live in cali, so nothing new there.

........it certainly did not stand out to me .......it was presented well........unlike many aspects of many movies, which goes back to my original statement.

I am really liking the netflix entity allowing director/script/actor freedoms.......... hollywood has been digging its own grave for while, but has been the only game in town, so you play it.
The issue is not if you think it 'stands out'.

And sorry, all this 'Hollywood didn't know how to make proper films, now all the Indie directors with fat budgets from Netflix/Amazon/Apple+, targeted at a different crowd, will show how its done' is nonsense.

The traditional way to make movies was - get good actors, good script, good director, make a film. Use test screenings and box office performance to judge how it did.

The new way - get an unknown director, pref female. Get a 'diverse' cast. Make sure your script ticks off all the checkboxes to make it 'socially relevant'. Get some hiphop music because thats what teenagers listen to so it'll be cool.

Never mind if the story is paper thin, or acting/directing is bad, or if the film is garbage. You can blame all that on audiences. Spend $$$ on social media campaigns, make sure anyone who dares criticize the movie is labeled a 'hater'.

And of course they still completely miss the point - these movies are just pandering to whatever the popular trend happens to be, its not like they are making any difference. They are just worse films.

Defcon;59940060 The traditional way to make movies was - get good actors said:
That`s exactly what hollywood has been churning out for years now......there are always exceptions to the rule.

As to the first part of your post I did not quote,....I never said that...........I said it was nice to NOT see what you said in the second part of your post.

Use test screenings and box office performance to judge how it did.

And if your goal is to make money on mass screenings/box office sales thats fine..........box office performance just shows it appeals to the masses......some of these block busters have been very poor movies.

There is room for everyone`s tastes, I was commenting on what I like and don`t like.........

But based on the metric of sales, it appears netflix is doing a great job ,by those standards . But those are not my standards...;)

I use box office sales to find what I might like,...blockbuster sales means I probably will not like it, poor box office performance means its probably worth checking out...........as always there are exceptions to the rule, thats just me, you are free to like whatever you want,...its all good......we can conversate about all points of view.

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it. No, it's not great art, but I don't think that was the point. It's a live-action comic book, with righteous heroes, dastardly villains, and leavened with some betrayal. That's what I was expecting and that's what I got.

Charleze was very good, as she always is. She's almost 45 now! Still looks great and still kickin' butt in these action roles. Clearly, they're set up for a sequel, and when it debuts, I'll be there.

One plot point that will make the sequel a bit different...

Now that Andy is not immortal anymore, she's going to have to be a lot more careful in future missions. They can't afford to get ambushed & all slaughtered up again.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.