AVS Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
‘The Old Guard’: Charlize Theron Teases Sequel, Reacts to Film’s Massive Viewership (EXCLUSIVE)

By Marc Malkin

Charlize Theron is gobsmacked.

Even she can’t wrap her mind around Netflix’s prediction that her new movie “The Old Guard,” Gina Prince-Bythewood’s Netflix adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name, will reach out 72 million households in its first four weeks.

“It’s pretty nutty, right?” says Charlize Theron, who stars as the leader of a small group of immortal mercenaries. “It’s pretty crazy.”

However, Theron insists she wasn’t thinking about nor did she ask about numbers while making the film. “I’m not that brave,” she said with a laugh. “I don’t want to hear predictions. No, thank you.”

The Oscar winner also said that a sequel hasn’t been given the greenlight…yet. “We’re still pushing this one out,” she said. “Let’s have a little resting period, but just given the fact that all of us really want to do it, I’m sure when it’s the right time, we’ll start the conversation.”

“The Old Guard” isn’t the only movie on Theron’s mind right now. She’s hosting a drive-in screening of “Mad Max: Fury Road” on July 31 on the top floor of the parking structure at the Grove mall in Los Angeles to benefit the Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project, which helps fund youth organizations and programs in Theron’s native South Africa.

“I grew up with drive-ins,” Theron said. “We had to go back to the drawing board and be inventive. We had a to figure out a way that people could have a good time, but still be safe while raising money for much needed programs to help young people.”

Theron understands asking people for money isn’t the most comfortable thing to be doing during a time of so much uncertainty. “The most vulnerable among us continue to be the ones who fall through the cracks,” she said. “No matter how hard it is to ask, we can’t not ask because the work is too important.”

The evening includes a Q&A with Theron and her “Mad Max” co-star Nicholas Hoult as well as a dinner. For face masks, Theron is hoping for something themed for the night. “Wouldn’t it be great if we could do something with the muzzle that Max wears?” she said.

Sponsors of the benefit include Dior, CITI, Porsche, Icelandic Water and the Living Peace Foundation

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/old-guard-charlize-theron-sequel-netflix-1234712626/

(video interview in link above)

Discussion starter · #83 ·
An ‘Old Guard’ Sequel Seems Inevitable, But More Of Charlize Theron’s Netflix Franchise May Not Come Right Away – Comic-Con@Home
By Justin Kroll

Following massive viewership numbers and an end-credit scene suggesting the story isn’t finished being told, it would seem a sequel to the Netflix and Skydance action pic The Old Guard is a foregone conclusion. As the studio figures out next steps on where to take its team of immortals, it also appears to be true that fans of the first film shouldn’t expect another installment any time soon.

Sources say no talks have occurred with the film’s writer Greg Rucka, who also created the original graphic novel series, to return, but they add those talks could happen soon, with either Rucka returning or possibly a new scribe to take over. Either way, with multiple storylines from which to draw in the comic series, the real reason fans will have to wait a while before a sequel pops up on their Netflix queue has less to do with who is writing the sequel to the July 10-released Old Guard and more to do with the schedule of its star Charlize Theron.

Netflix would also love for director Gina Prince-Blythewood to return, and while her development slate could hold up the next film, it’s Theron’s future schedule that will decide when a likely sequel would go. Similar to the situation Netflix has with finding time for Will Smith to do a Bright sequel, Theron is an A-lister who is always in demand and has a number of films in development at any given time — including a sequel to 2017’s Atomic Blonde in which Netflix is also involved.

Theron also has tried to avoid doing back-to-back, action-heavy films over the years given the physical training that goes into those roles and would more likely look for something more character-driven like Lionsgate’s Bombshell, which earned her an Oscar nomination.

The other factor that isn’t as timely but just as complicated is the likely contract renegotiation Netflix will have to go through with Theron.

Netflix contracts are already lucrative and complicated the first go-round with A-list talent, as they factor in not just upfront money but back-end and other residuals that talent couldn’t get if something went to theaters. Everyone from Ryan Reynolds to Dwayne Johnson to Ryan Gosling have been landing hefty contracts of at least $25 million to cover the money they would be missing out on by the project not ending up in theaters.

Netflix has been able to get sequels to smaller films like The Kissing Booth and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, whereas the big-budget event films have been harder to turn around. The studio has never had a problem spending money on its big-budget movies in order to attract top talent, but execs still want to be fiscally responsible, and sequels to tentpoles in the industry almost certainly go up in budget with each installment.

Part of the reason they always seem to rise is the eventual contract renegotiation for the stars involved. In the cases of Smith and now Theron, both have serious leverage in getting significant raises as their roles in Bright and Old Guard, respectively, were big factors in audiences showing up in the first place.

Having said that, the Oscar-winning Theron is bringing her starpower today to Comic-Con@Home at 10 AM PST in a prerecorded panel entitled “Evolution of a Badass,” where Old Guard will certainly come up.

Occurring virtually this year due to coronavirus concerns, Comic-Con@Home runs through Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-ol...rlize-theron-netflix-negotiations-1202992096/

The wife wanted to watch this last night. It gets a big "Meh" from me. Not terrible, but not particularly good either. Pedestrian action, a really lame one-dimensional villain, and bunches of plot holes that feel like the writers didn't put much effort into thinking through the concept.

If their wounds heal instantly, how can Charlize have multiple ear piercings? How did no one in the entire production give any thought to details like that?

The evil pharma CEO actually introduces himself saying, "Hi, I'm the youngest CEO in pharma." WTF? Who talks like that? Especially since it was already established multiple times before then that he was a pharma CEO, and all the characters knew it. There was literally no point to him delivering that line.

Booker (Matthias Schoenaerts) gets banished for 100 years for betraying them, but Copley (Chiwetel Ejiofor) - who betrayed them arguably worse since he sent them into a death trap not 100% certain they were really immortal - gets invited to join the team as their Alfred Pennyworth? Really?

You know what, I take back what I said above. This is terrible.

'The Old Guard' Viewed By 78 Million Households in First Four Weeks, Says Netflix

Netflix, in its third quarter earnings report Tuesday, touted 'The Old Guard' as its most popular title of the summer quarter...

'The Old Guard' Viewed By 78 Million Households in First Four Weeks, Says Netflix

Netflix, in its third quarter earnings report Tuesday, touted 'The Old Guard' as its most popular title of the summer quarter...

I guess that pretty much guarantees it's cancellation then.

The thing about Netflix is, if you are on the site looking for a show to watch, one often finds that the only show that draws any interest at all is the one that's new, not necessarily a show that's any good. Though I did like the Old Guard, a show can draw big numbers just because there is nothing else to watch on the platform.

Quote-
I guess that pretty much guarantees it's cancellation then

It's a movie, not a series that wasn't drawing a huge audience.... 😉

Sequels are planned. Netflix wants to make a franchise out of it.
Yes, that's what I meant. The sequels that they are in discussion about, that Charlize has said she'd be interested in doing, will be "cancelled".

Netflix is increasingly taking a bottom line, quantity over quality approach. Churning out copious quantities of content and hoping a handful of them hit and give them the buzz they need to boost subscriber numbers. And even if they do, it's no guarantee they'll continue if they can't be made cheaply enough.

Discussion starter · #92 ·
Gina Prince-Bythewood, Dana Goldberg Talk Breaking New Ground for Women in ‘The Old Guard': ‘You’ve Got To Go in With Swagger’ (Video)

Power Women Summit 2020: “All we ask is, get us in the room, and then let us show what we can do,” Prince-Bythewood says of female talent

Diane Haithman

Discussion starter · #93 ·
New Old Guard anthology comic will tell stories about the immortal characters' pasts

'The Old Guard: Tales Through Time' will feature new stories not just from co-creators Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernández, but also Brian Michael Bendis, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Matt Fraction, and other writers and artists.

By Christian Holub

Victoria Mahoney to Direct Charlize Theron in ‘The Old Guard’ Sequel

Why a different director, Netflix? I liked the first one so I had hopes they would keep the original team for a second. Who knows, maybe the director change won't have a negative impact but Netflix doesn't have a good track record of creating great content. I thought the original was entertaining, meaning I didn't love it but I liked it enough to watch a sequel.

Why a different director, Netflix? I liked the first one so I had hopes they would keep the original team for a second. Who knows, maybe the director change won't have a negative impact but Netflix doesn't have a good track record of creating great content. I thought the original was entertaining, meaning I didn't love it but I liked it enough to watch a sequel.
Maybe this new one actually knows how to direct an action scene? That would be an improvement.

Oh, wait, looks like she was 2nd Unit Director on Rise of Skywalker, so probably not. :(

Reactions: halcyon_888
The wife wanted to watch this last night. It gets a big "Meh" from me. Not terrible, but not particularly good either. Pedestrian action, a really lame one-dimensional villain, and bunches of plot holes that feel like the writers didn't put much effort into thinking through the concept.

If their wounds heal instantly, how can Charlize have multiple ear piercings? How did no one in the entire production give any thought to details like that?

The evil pharma CEO actually introduces himself saying, "Hi, I'm the youngest CEO in pharma." WTF? Who talks like that? Especially since it was already established multiple times before then that he was a pharma CEO, and all the characters knew it. There was literally no point to him delivering that line.

Booker (Matthias Schoenaerts) gets banished for 100 years for betraying them, but Copley (Chiwetel Ejiofor) - who betrayed them arguably worse since he sent them into a death trap not 100% certain they were really immortal - gets invited to join the team as their Alfred Pennyworth? Really?

You know what, I take back what I said above. This is terrible.
The evil doctor remarks that the wond healed around the instrument used to pierce.

Thus the earing post can pierce the ear and heal around the piercing ear post.
IMHO what a tiny thing to nitpick about.

Wolverine can be pierced by a sword and the wound will heap around the sword.
Quick autoheal does not equate to invulnerable.

Just noticed who I'm replying too but meh it's already typed out and I'm too lazy to edit or delete as sometimes tablet does not permit edits or delete.
Anywho off to motley fool.

Discussion starter · #99 ·
81 - 99 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.