AVS Forum banner

The Old Guard Movie on Netflix with Charlize Theron

7K views 98 replies 40 participants last post by  WilliamR 
#1 ·
This looks pretty good, looking forward to it.

‘The Old Guard’ Trailer: Charlize Theron Leads A Group Of Mercenaries In Netflix Action Thriller
By Amanda N'Duka

Netflix has released the first official trailer for The Old Guard, the Gina Prince-Bythewood-directed film adaption based on the acclaimed graphic novel by Greg Rucka. Charlize Theron stars as Andy, a warrior who leads a covert group of mercenaries with a mysterious inability to die and have committed to protect the mortal world for centuries.

KiKi Layne also stars in the sci-fi actioner alongside Marwan Kenzari, Luca Marinelli, Harry Melling, Van Veronica Ngo, with Matthias Schoenaerts and Chiwetel Ejiofor

When the team is recruited to take on an emergency mission and their extraordinary abilities are suddenly exposed, it’s up to Andy and Nile (Layne), the newest soldier to join their ranks, to help the group eliminate the threat of those who seek to replicate and monetize their power by any means necessary.

Greg Rucka wrote the screenplay which was produced by Theron, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, Don Granger, AJ Dix, Beth Kono, and Marc Evans.

Netflix will release the pic on July 10.

https://deadline.com/video/the-old-guard-trailer-charlize-theron-netflix-action-thriller/

Official trailer:

Netflix's The Old Guard - Official"Plane Fight" Clip

See less See more
#43 · (Edited)
SPOILER...do not read if you have not watched.....

I liked it........was not dongled full of propaganda .....you can tell it was not shoveled thru the hollywood garbage machine before production.

With creative freedom once again, now that many directors and actors are breaking the hollywood chains, we might get some great movies again.

Good simple action flic with a decent story, had some feel good to it and no forced garbage.....I enjoyed it.......

Looked like it was already planned for part 2 with bottom of the ocean girl at the end showing up. I am eager to find how warped 500 years on the bottom of the ocean can make a person....there has to be some pent up angst and ptsd there.

#45 ·
SPOILER...do not read if you have not watched.....

I liked it........was not dongled full of propaganda .....you can tell it was not shoveled thru the hollywood garbage machine before production.

With creative freedom once again, now that many directors and actors are breaking the hollywood chains, we might get some great movies again.

Good simple action flic with a decent story, had some feel good to it and no forced garbage
Well except for the homosexual dudes with the onscreen kiss, yeah no propaganda or forced garbage....

#56 ·
Defcon;59940060 The traditional way to make movies was - get good actors said:
That`s exactly what hollywood has been churning out for years now......there are always exceptions to the rule.

As to the first part of your post I did not quote,....I never said that...........I said it was nice to NOT see what you said in the second part of your post.

Use test screenings and box office performance to judge how it did.

And if your goal is to make money on mass screenings/box office sales thats fine..........box office performance just shows it appeals to the masses......some of these block busters have been very poor movies.

There is room for everyone`s tastes, I was commenting on what I like and don`t like.........

But based on the metric of sales, it appears netflix is doing a great job ,by those standards . But those are not my standards...;)

I use box office sales to find what I might like,...blockbuster sales means I probably will not like it, poor box office performance means its probably worth checking out...........as always there are exceptions to the rule, thats just me, you are free to like whatever you want,...its all good......we can conversate about all points of view.

#57 ·
Watched it last night. Enjoyed it. No, it's not great art, but I don't think that was the point. It's a live-action comic book, with righteous heroes, dastardly villains, and leavened with some betrayal. That's what I was expecting and that's what I got.

Charleze was very good, as she always is. She's almost 45 now! Still looks great and still kickin' butt in these action roles. Clearly, they're set up for a sequel, and when it debuts, I'll be there.

One plot point that will make the sequel a bit different...

Now that Andy is not immortal anymore, she's going to have to be a lot more careful in future missions. They can't afford to get ambushed & all slaughtered up again.

#62 ·
Watched last night. It was much better then I expected. Unlike so many action movies, there was some plot and character development. There was plenty of action, but also some dialog. Obviously set up for a sequel or a series. I just hope they do not ruin it by making it the typical chase, shooting, explosion movie that most sequwls become.

#65 ·
I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for all the non-spoiler reviews. I'm not sure whether to try it. Probably based upon whether I have nothing to otherwise do.

There have been a bunch of shows that I'm in the minority on and I guess I'm getting tired of seeing the "same old same old" done much more poorly than the original concept show. It would be nice to see some things with new ideas rather than recycled stuff.

Just to dip my beak in controversy (pronounced the British way because I find that pronunciation so posh), I agree that actors are almost always hired because of their looks although the 70s saw the leading men get a break during the rise of the anti-hero and there have always been exceptions for comic actors/actresses. Even so, acting in movies/tv is such an odd skill because of the ability to stay in character when shooting small snippets of scenes that might be totally out of order and totally devoid of context that I couldn't imagine being able to act other than being an extra with no lines who just walks through. So, I guess I'm saying looks are important (especially for females) but skill is still required and, to be a star, you need (1) charisma plus (2) the camera loving you. I've heard (no first hand knowledge here) that for some people whom the camera loves, they look much better in the film/tv than they do in person for whatever that is worth.

#70 ·
Charlize Theron Teases Possible 'Old Guard' Sequel

Theron told 'Late Night' host Seth Meyers that she would like to explore relationships from the first movie in a follow-up and joked that a Grammy-winning friend should join the female-driven franchise.
Charlize Theron teased the possibility of a follow-up to her Netflix original action film The Old Guard. On Wednesday night’s episode of Late Night with Seth Meyers, the actress shared that there’s material and relationships from the first movie worth exploring in a sequel.

“There’s obviously a relationship there (between Van Veronica Ngo’s Quynh and Theron’s Andy) that we didn’t really explore in this film,” she said. “So I’m excited if we get the chance to make another one, to explore that, because then we’re just adding another female into the mix, which I think will make it really interesting.”

Theron who also produced the sci-fi action film about immortal soldiers, also shared that the Netflix movie stood out from the rest of her filmography. With Gina Prince-Bythewood in the director’s seat; herself, Ngo and Kiki Layne on camera and women behind the scenes, The Old Guard was noteworthy for its many women on set, Theron said.

“There’s a sadness attached because it does feel very unusual and that’s not right,” Theron told Meyers. “When I look back at my over-25-year career it’s really sad how little I’ve experienced with women than men. It was really nice to this to come on set and be surrounded by women — not just women but really talented women.”

Noting that there was a “different energy” about the female-driven cast and crew, Theron said finding skilled women to fill the ranks of all departments on a set, both on and off-screen, isn’t difficult. Instead, it’s more about putting pressure on the industry to hire these artists with the opportunity to practice their craft, she explained.

“I think we really do have to just…keep the pressure on our industry to kind of sustain this kind of storytelling, because it is really ****ing awesome.”

The actress also spoke to Meyers about her relationship with Rihanna, with whom she shares a publicist. Theron said she and singer share a friendship where they joke about who is their publicist's favorite client. The actress said she and Rihanna have also grabbed drinks in London together, making for some of "the best night drinking I've ever done in my life."

Theron brought Wednesday's interview to a close saying that if there is a second Old Guard movie, she'd like to bring her Grammy-winning friend on board.

"She needs to be in the next Old Guard," Theron joked of Rihanna.

Watch the interview below.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...n-future-old-guard-series-seth-meyers-1303427

#73 ·
Charlize Theron Netflix Movie ‘The Old Guard’ Heading To 72M Households To Rank Among Streamer’s 10 Most Popular Pics

By Anthony D'Alessandro

Netflix has posted on social media that the Charlize Theron Gina Prince-Bythewood Skydance movie The Old Guard could easily become one of the streamer’s top 10 original movies. With no small amount of fortune-telling, the streamer is estimating that the pic will be seen by 72M households withing four weeks.

Should those numbers bear out, Prince-Bythewood will become the first Black female director on that list.

The movie, based on Greg Rucka’s graphic novel, who also wrote the screenplay, follows a covert team of immortal mercenaries who are suddenly exposed and must fight to keep their identity a secret just as an unexpected new member is discovered.

Theron, who also produced the movie, teased about a sequel on Seth Meyers recently, saying, “There’s obviously a relationship there (between Van Veronica Ngo’s Quynh and Theron’s Andy) that we didn’t really explore in this film…so I’m excited if we get the chance to make another one, to explore that, because then we’re just adding another female into the mix, which I think will make it really interesting.”

Yesterday, Netflix dropped their most watched movies list below. Dominic Patten reported on the streamer’s most-watched series and movies during Q2 including the Mindy Kaling co-created series Never Have I Ever (40M households globally in its four weeks of after its April 27 release), Steve Carell and Greg Daniels’Space Force series (40M households since its launch on May 29), and the Spike Lee movie Da 5 Bloods drawing an audience of 27M since its June 12 debut.

Netflix’s top 10 pics are as follows in millions of households:

Extraction – 99M, director Sam Hargrave
Bird Box – 89M, dir. Susanne Bier
Spenser Confidential – 85M, dir. Peter Berg
6 Underground – 83M, dir. Michael Bay
Murder Mystery – 83M, dir. Kyle Newacheck
The Old Guard – 72M, dir. Gina Prince-Bythewood – projected
The Irishman – 64M, dir. Martin Scorsese
Triple Frontier– 63M, dir. J.C. Chandor
The Wrong Missy – 59M, dir. Tyler Spindel
The Platform – 56M, dir. Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia

Other Netflix streaming benchmarks:

–The Adam Sandler-Jennifer Aniston comedy Murder Mystery was watched by 31M accounts in its first two days on Friday and Saturday.

–Netflix reported that the first week of the Sandra Bullock thriller Bird Box was watched by 45M global accounts during its first seven days. Nielsen later reported that 26M U.S. subscribers tuned into Bird Box in its first week

–The first 3-days of the Will Smith 2017 fantasy action movie Bright was reported at 11M.

Earlier today, Deadline broke the story that Netflix has packaged its biggest movie ever, the Joe and Anthony Russo directed $200M spy feature The Gray Man based on the 2009 Mark Greaney novel starring Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/charli...-viewership-top-10-netflix-movies-1202988858/

#74 ·
Good, not great. I almost think this concept warrants a miniseries because there are endless possibilities to explore, which was certainly buoyed by the evidence presented by Copley. Each episode could do a deep dive into the ripple effects of a life saved while continuing to build the mythology behind their existence and filling in those enormous gaps. The source material must address how/why these beings come to be. There's gotta be a system like the reason Nile emerges is because
Andy is on her way out, or something.

The villain (evil pharma bro) was kind of an empty suit, but he sure did have a great face for the role. I can't remember a more punchable face in recent memory, well, besides Martin Shkreli himself...

Also, just to mention, when presented with such creatures in movies and TV, I always find myself wondering why they don't just toss them into a corpse grinder. Immortal eh? Not if you're sausage...They always waste so much ammo. Maybe an incinerator... ha ha ha, sorry.

Anyway, I think the 6.7 on IMDb is warranted. I would probably bump it up to 7 for the production value alone.

#80 ·
It could be that they would live as a disembodied head, which might not be too fun.

Hmm, I'm tired of living, what should I do? I think I'll turn traitor and have my life long friends captured by punch face above. :) That's a good plan. Perhaps, if he threw himself into the nearest active volcano, he might find the end he's looking for.

#81 ·
‘The Old Guard’: Charlize Theron Teases Sequel, Reacts to Film’s Massive Viewership (EXCLUSIVE)

By Marc Malkin

Charlize Theron is gobsmacked.

Even she can’t wrap her mind around Netflix’s prediction that her new movie “The Old Guard,” Gina Prince-Bythewood’s Netflix adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name, will reach out 72 million households in its first four weeks.

“It’s pretty nutty, right?” says Charlize Theron, who stars as the leader of a small group of immortal mercenaries. “It’s pretty crazy.”

However, Theron insists she wasn’t thinking about nor did she ask about numbers while making the film. “I’m not that brave,” she said with a laugh. “I don’t want to hear predictions. No, thank you.”

The Oscar winner also said that a sequel hasn’t been given the greenlight…yet. “We’re still pushing this one out,” she said. “Let’s have a little resting period, but just given the fact that all of us really want to do it, I’m sure when it’s the right time, we’ll start the conversation.”

“The Old Guard” isn’t the only movie on Theron’s mind right now. She’s hosting a drive-in screening of “Mad Max: Fury Road” on July 31 on the top floor of the parking structure at the Grove mall in Los Angeles to benefit the Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project, which helps fund youth organizations and programs in Theron’s native South Africa.

“I grew up with drive-ins,” Theron said. “We had to go back to the drawing board and be inventive. We had a to figure out a way that people could have a good time, but still be safe while raising money for much needed programs to help young people.”

Theron understands asking people for money isn’t the most comfortable thing to be doing during a time of so much uncertainty. “The most vulnerable among us continue to be the ones who fall through the cracks,” she said. “No matter how hard it is to ask, we can’t not ask because the work is too important.”

The evening includes a Q&A with Theron and her “Mad Max” co-star Nicholas Hoult as well as a dinner. For face masks, Theron is hoping for something themed for the night. “Wouldn’t it be great if we could do something with the muzzle that Max wears?” she said.

Sponsors of the benefit include Dior, CITI, Porsche, Icelandic Water and the Living Peace Foundation

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/old-guard-charlize-theron-sequel-netflix-1234712626/

(video interview in link above)

#83 ·
An ‘Old Guard’ Sequel Seems Inevitable, But More Of Charlize Theron’s Netflix Franchise May Not Come Right Away – Comic-Con@Home
By Justin Kroll

Following massive viewership numbers and an end-credit scene suggesting the story isn’t finished being told, it would seem a sequel to the Netflix and Skydance action pic The Old Guard is a foregone conclusion. As the studio figures out next steps on where to take its team of immortals, it also appears to be true that fans of the first film shouldn’t expect another installment any time soon.

Sources say no talks have occurred with the film’s writer Greg Rucka, who also created the original graphic novel series, to return, but they add those talks could happen soon, with either Rucka returning or possibly a new scribe to take over. Either way, with multiple storylines from which to draw in the comic series, the real reason fans will have to wait a while before a sequel pops up on their Netflix queue has less to do with who is writing the sequel to the July 10-released Old Guard and more to do with the schedule of its star Charlize Theron.

Netflix would also love for director Gina Prince-Blythewood to return, and while her development slate could hold up the next film, it’s Theron’s future schedule that will decide when a likely sequel would go. Similar to the situation Netflix has with finding time for Will Smith to do a Bright sequel, Theron is an A-lister who is always in demand and has a number of films in development at any given time — including a sequel to 2017’s Atomic Blonde in which Netflix is also involved.

Theron also has tried to avoid doing back-to-back, action-heavy films over the years given the physical training that goes into those roles and would more likely look for something more character-driven like Lionsgate’s Bombshell, which earned her an Oscar nomination.

The other factor that isn’t as timely but just as complicated is the likely contract renegotiation Netflix will have to go through with Theron.

Netflix contracts are already lucrative and complicated the first go-round with A-list talent, as they factor in not just upfront money but back-end and other residuals that talent couldn’t get if something went to theaters. Everyone from Ryan Reynolds to Dwayne Johnson to Ryan Gosling have been landing hefty contracts of at least $25 million to cover the money they would be missing out on by the project not ending up in theaters.

Netflix has been able to get sequels to smaller films like The Kissing Booth and To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, whereas the big-budget event films have been harder to turn around. The studio has never had a problem spending money on its big-budget movies in order to attract top talent, but execs still want to be fiscally responsible, and sequels to tentpoles in the industry almost certainly go up in budget with each installment.

Part of the reason they always seem to rise is the eventual contract renegotiation for the stars involved. In the cases of Smith and now Theron, both have serious leverage in getting significant raises as their roles in Bright and Old Guard, respectively, were big factors in audiences showing up in the first place.

Having said that, the Oscar-winning Theron is bringing her starpower today to Comic-Con@Home at 10 AM PST in a prerecorded panel entitled “Evolution of a Badass,” where Old Guard will certainly come up.

Occurring virtually this year due to coronavirus concerns, Comic-Con@Home runs through Sunday.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/the-ol...rlize-theron-netflix-negotiations-1202992096/

#85 ·
The wife wanted to watch this last night. It gets a big "Meh" from me. Not terrible, but not particularly good either. Pedestrian action, a really lame one-dimensional villain, and bunches of plot holes that feel like the writers didn't put much effort into thinking through the concept.

If their wounds heal instantly, how can Charlize have multiple ear piercings? How did no one in the entire production give any thought to details like that?

The evil pharma CEO actually introduces himself saying, "Hi, I'm the youngest CEO in pharma." WTF? Who talks like that? Especially since it was already established multiple times before then that he was a pharma CEO, and all the characters knew it. There was literally no point to him delivering that line.

Booker (Matthias Schoenaerts) gets banished for 100 years for betraying them, but Copley (Chiwetel Ejiofor) - who betrayed them arguably worse since he sent them into a death trap not 100% certain they were really immortal - gets invited to join the team as their Alfred Pennyworth? Really?

You know what, I take back what I said above. This is terrible.

#98 ·
The wife wanted to watch this last night. It gets a big "Meh" from me. Not terrible, but not particularly good either. Pedestrian action, a really lame one-dimensional villain, and bunches of plot holes that feel like the writers didn't put much effort into thinking through the concept.

If their wounds heal instantly, how can Charlize have multiple ear piercings? How did no one in the entire production give any thought to details like that?

The evil pharma CEO actually introduces himself saying, "Hi, I'm the youngest CEO in pharma." WTF? Who talks like that? Especially since it was already established multiple times before then that he was a pharma CEO, and all the characters knew it. There was literally no point to him delivering that line.

Booker (Matthias Schoenaerts) gets banished for 100 years for betraying them, but Copley (Chiwetel Ejiofor) - who betrayed them arguably worse since he sent them into a death trap not 100% certain they were really immortal - gets invited to join the team as their Alfred Pennyworth? Really?

You know what, I take back what I said above. This is terrible.
The evil doctor remarks that the wond healed around the instrument used to pierce.

Thus the earing post can pierce the ear and heal around the piercing ear post.
IMHO what a tiny thing to nitpick about.

Wolverine can be pierced by a sword and the wound will heap around the sword.
Quick autoheal does not equate to invulnerable.

Just noticed who I'm replying too but meh it's already typed out and I'm too lazy to edit or delete as sometimes tablet does not permit edits or delete.
Anywho off to motley fool.

#86 ·
'The Old Guard' Viewed By 78 Million Households in First Four Weeks, Says Netflix

Netflix, in its third quarter earnings report Tuesday, touted 'The Old Guard' as its most popular title of the summer quarter...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.