AVS Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1838 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,723 (Edited)
Hush box assembled and trimmed. I rounded over the front edges to match the speakers; it will get the same paint after all... I have also hit the seams with some joint compound, as you see.

I picked up the joint compound while buying more electrical supplies for this weekend's lighting work. I think I have everything I need. We'll be running two new branches off two separate circuits for lights (with new switches), plus relocating two wall outlets, and replacing two switches as well as two fixtures. That will give me a total of 5 lights in the lobby, controlled via 4 Lutron Caseta switches, all linked together into one group for scenes.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,724
Follow-up hush-box question!

Here's the design I laid out years ago now, but it's close enough to current to be using for a conversation starter. In this image, the projector fits mostly to the left, with the exhaust coming out the front of the projector, also toward the left. Since the lens is not centered on the projector, but IS centered in the hush box, there is very little space between the left edge of the projector and the inside surface of the hush box. In contrast, there is 6-8 inches of open space inside the hush box on the right side of this image. The only substantial change between this image and reality is that the port for exhaust on the rear surface of the box is not centered as drawn, instead it is also all the way to the left.

So, the exhaust will exit the front of the projector on the left, and have very little space on the left side for air movement. The box outlet is also on the left, but on the rear of the projector. Where should the air inlets be?

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Looking at the intake and exhaust layout, it looks like the issue you're going to have is recirculating the exhaust back into the intake. I'm sure you are aware of that already, but saying (or in this case typing) it out loud helps me think through it.

How much room do you have above and below the projector once it's in the box? It looks like your box exhaust port is going to be lined up with one of the PJ intakes on the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I still say - quite emphatically - skip the hush box. Further "Do not install in an enclosed space" is pretty definitive.

If you follow through with the hush box installation:
- Are you offsetting the projection port so the Panasonic is centered inside the box or are you making the box just that much wider to work with a centered view port while maintaining sufficient air gaps?
- How do you plan to ventilate this space...passive ingress and powered egress?
- What's the point of the hush box in the first place if you must add a powered ventilation fan to the air egress? The projector's smaller and thermostatically controlled ventilation fan buried inside the projector will be significantly quieter than an exposed fan getting air out of the box.
- How do you plan to manage temperatures in the box, with a thermostatically controlled fan? Do you know the max BTUs of the projector? Do you know the min/max CFM of the projector's fan?
- Did you allow for sufficient space for the projector (minimum 4") PLUS the thickness of either one or two layers of Linacoustic / duct liner?

I ask these questions rhetorically because I've had to engineer these boxes in the past out of necessity when you had large CRTs with lots of heat and what amounted to a small tornado of fan noise. Quite a bit of engineering goes into these boxes and unless they are absolutely needed I couldn't be more opposed to their installation, especially with today's super quiet projectors. Wait until you install the carpet, chairs, acoustic treatments and enjoy your room for a few months before you decide it bothers you enough to install the hush box.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
TMcG has a good point. I was pretty dead-set on putting in a hushbox. Until I actually mounted my projector and listened to it. I run my PJ on flame thrower, and I don't hear the fan during a movie.

Your particular PJ looks like it's going to present some interesting design challenges for a hushbox. if you're going to build one, some dimensions on the box would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,734
The carpet guy certainly knew what he was doing. He was very thorough, and it took him a full day. Too bad for him: it was from noon until after 8. For anyone in Atlanta, I can say that the selection and general experience I had with carpet and carpet installation with Myers Carpet was quite good. I didn't do any real comparison shopping for price, but I found a carpet I like and got it very well-installed with minimal fuss and on-schedule. I had hoped I would get the seats unpacked and in tonight; alas I have other fish to fry (not related to the theater).

Also, we have tentative dates for a contractor to come in and finish the lobby, in late July. I would not recommend the Lowe's kitchen design services at this point in the process, though I suppose I may come around to thinking it was the greatest idea ever.... but I doubt it.

In any case, here is the only picture I took of the carpet after the installer left tonight. Axel seems to approve.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Love it! The carpet ties in with the walls beautifully. Nicely done!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,740
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm very happy with the way everything is coming out. I'm traveling for a few more days, so I haven't been able to hang out in the theater. I am looking for some assistance from folks I know with good cameras and short lenses to take some worthwhile pictures. I have a few things to take care of first: adjusting the screen (it's not level); adding outlet covers; unpacking the seats. Of course none of that should take long.

The real work left to do is finishing up the rack. I've got a few more pieces to buy, and a bunch of cable to terminate, and drywall to hang and finish.

I'm fully expecting to be able to show movies before August, but I'm not crazy enough to set a date.

1721 - 1740 of 1838 Posts