AVS Forum banner

11541 - 11560 of 23987 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Flip the door open, press and hold the Display button (small round one near the volume knob) and the Standby/On button (big square power button) at the same time. Release both then QUICKLY press the Tone button (under the door).

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk /forum/post/13273525

Flip the door open, press and hold the Display button (small round one near the volume knob) and the Standby/On button (big square power button) at the same time. Release both then QUICKLY press the Tone button (under the door).

Thanks... this is good information since I play my music and movies @ 0.0db for hours on end.

Does everyone using pc fan supplements have the air blowing out? I have 2 fans laying around and wondered if having one blow in and one blow out be a good idea or would that just increase the amount of dust on the boards in time?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there any way to change the rate that the volume goes up/down? It seems to go so slowly in either direction, whether by remote or volume knob.

I've seen some mention this before, but I've yet to see any fix or workaround...

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochmd /forum/post/13272217

After getting my 1080p TV and wanting a Blu-ray player I stumbled across needing a new Surround Sound system - it was presidents day and I jumped on the 805 sale at the time.

So - Ive found I got waaaaaaaaaaaay more than I know about and will prob never use this system to its fullest - however I have a few questions about getting the basics down:

1. My refurb came with the test microphone, so I ran the speaker setup routine.

At first it failed on the center speaker saying 'Retry' - it also emitted 2 chirps

I put the mic a bit higher and it got through L, C, R, SR(doesnt exist) and on the Rear Right it emitted 2 chirps and said 'Retry'

After some more adjustments I got it to the point where there was only 1 chirp for the speakers but it continues to fail on the Rear Right - I got no data except 'Retry' - Any suggestions? I performed a manual setup for all speakers (dont know what I am really doing
) and that seemed fine.

My speakers have an 8ohms impedence if that matters (they are from my old unit - 1 step at a time
)

So the test emits a chirp at each station and keep failing on the rear right
. The speaker is prob 8 feet from the microphone, 15 feet from the 805.

2. AM/FM tuner works great - on my old system I was able to set the speaker system to play through my 2 fronts/2 rears/sub woofer - I cant seem to get the 805 to broadcast the FM station to more than just the front speakers. Sounds alot more richer when sound is coming from 4 speakers in my room.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Make sure you wires aren't crossed. You know positive to positive and negative to negative. I had a Sony Receiver that use a setup similar to Audyssey and one of my speakers were wired wrong. It kept setting it up as out of phase. It took me a while to figure it out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk /forum/post/13273402

1)The video/etc boards are clearly on the back RIGHT and mine always runs hotter on the left (probably just because the right side is more open to the air in my rack).

2) The temps increase significantly when you turn the volume up, yet they do NOT decrease significantly when running in Pure Audio mode, which we know disables all that other circuitry.

edit: I just did a test, been listening to music all morning (pretty loud) in PLIIx Music mode, temps were 57/54. Switched to Pure Audio and checked SPL to confirm roughly the same volume level, temps changed to 56/56 after 10-15 mins. In other words the right side got HOTTER (or really, they equalized) .... Maybe the 2-ch amps are both on the right side? Either way, turning off the video/DSPs didn't lower the temps at all.

In other words, IMO the power amps are the major source of heat - or at least what the temp sensors read anyway..

walk,

I am getting similar numbers that you are getting but I am using the 805 as a pre-pro so the amps are not causing the increase in temperature. I have about 3 1/2" of clearance on the top of the 805 not the best per Onkyo. I added a small fan I had kicking around but it does not seem to be lowering the temperature that much.

I was listening to music in Pure mode yesterday (without the fan) for a few hours and the temperature was around 55/52 if IIRC. It is hard to explain where the heat is being generated as in Pure mode the video circuitry is supposed to be disabled. And using the 805 as a pre-pro the amps are not in play either (I would think). So it is hard figure why in my application the 805 is running as hot as it is

Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk /forum/post/13273402

Well I don't dispute these things, however....

1)The video/etc boards are clearly on the back RIGHT and mine always runs hotter on the left (probably just because the right side is more open to the air in my rack).

2) The temps increase significantly when you turn the volume up, yet they do NOT decrease significantly when running in Pure Audio mode, which we know disables all that other circuitry.

edit: I just did a test, been listening to music all morning (pretty loud) in PLIIx Music mode, temps were 57/54. Switched to Pure Audio and checked SPL to confirm roughly the same volume level, temps changed to 56/56 after 10-15 mins. In other words the right side got HOTTER (or really, they equalized) .... Maybe the 2-ch amps are both on the right side? Either way, turning off the video/DSPs didn't lower the temps at all.

In other words, IMO the power amps are the major source of heat - or at least what the temp sensors read anyway..

First, the zone2 trigger - yes you have to turn on the zone. Hit zone2 on the remote then press "on". And yes you have to turn it off when you turn the main receiver off.

Regarding heat, I still claim that the main source at low/medium volumes are the DSP/video boards. I had the onkyo 885 pre/pro and it heated up as well in that location (it is built on the same chassis but no amps). If you look carefully each DSP/Video board has its own set of rectifiers and caps. There is nothing to turn those off when you select pure audio mode. The heatsink wall does not let air between the back and the front. The fans are on the front, the temperature probes are on the back and attached to the heatsink and they will eventually register the heat from the DSPs only because the air in the back chamber heats up. So, by the time the read outs reach 60+ C, the dsp/video boards are well frying.

The reason I place the fan in the back left quadrant (looking from the front) is so that it draws air into the rear right quadrant (where most of the heat is) and throws it from the rear left. Because of the heatsink in the middle, it will never draw air from the front of the amp.

V

·
Registered
3,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoltz /forum/post/13271452

Where is the best place to get one, other than ShopOnkyo.com? I see a few on StealBay for $675 or best offer.

I would rather get it from one of our sponsors, if they offer a better price.

Personally, I love www.ac4l.com . They're authorized. Give good, honest advice. And, have good prices (they sell mostly refurbs, but I dare anyone to tell their units from new).

Ask for Mark...great guy!

·
Registered
14,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture /forum/post/13275071

First, the zone2 trigger - yes you have to turn on the zone. Hit zone2 on the remote then press "on". And yes you have to turn it off when you turn the main receiver off.

Regarding heat, I still claim that the main source at low/medium volumes are the DSP/video boards. I had the onkyo 885 pre/pro and it heated up as well in that location (it is built on the same chassis but no amps). If you look carefully each DSP/Video board has its own set of rectifiers and caps. There is nothing to turn those off when you select pure audio mode. The heatsink wall does not let air between the back and the front. The fans are on the front, the temperature probes are on the back and attached to the heatsink and they will eventually register the heat from the DSPs only because the air in the back chamber heats up. So, by the time the read outs reach 60+ C, the dsp/video boards are well frying.

The reason I place the fan in the back left quadrant (looking from the front) is so that it draws air into the rear right quadrant (where most of the heat is) and throws it from the rear left. Because of the heatsink in the middle, it will never draw air from the front of the amp.

V

V,

Thanks for the info on the zone 2 trigger. I figured it out but can not figure how to turn zone 2 on and off with my Harmony 688. It is too bad that the there is not a 12v trigger for the main system. Most other receivers I have owned have had at least one 12v trigger for the main system, why Onkyo decided to make it for zone 2 only does not make any sense to me.

The 805, 875 and 905 have the same one 12v trigger and it is for zone 2 only
. But the 705 has one 12v trigger which is not labeled zone 2 so I assume it is for the main system. The Integra 8.8, 7.8 and 6.8 receivers all have what looks like 4 12v triggers (main, A,B and C) for the main system. So I am taken aback at Onkyo's thoughts on this. I could see if they thought well it is a receiver then a 12v trigger is not needed for an external amp. But their Integra line has 4 of them on their top 3 receivers

To trigger on my A52 amp I use a AC/DC wall wart that I plug into 805s AC outlet with a mini plug on the other end to the A52. I would like to get the BXT amp/cooler fan but I do not have a remote turn on/off option as the AC oulet on the 805 is being used to trigger my amp

Bill

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 /forum/post/13273594

Thanks... this is good information since I play my music and movies @ 0.0db for hours on end.

Does everyone using pc fan supplements have the air blowing out? I have 2 fans laying around and wondered if having one blow in and one blow out be a good idea or would that just increase the amount of dust on the boards in time?

I would not have them blowing in and out at the same time. Just have both fans blow the air up away from the receiver.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the last month or so, I've owned the 705. It's a great receiver, but I've been getting this slight "humming" sound out of my Front Speakers. It's clearly audible up close, when I have the volume set betwee 65-70 in Absolute.

Anyway, I finally gave up on trying to figure it out and upgraded to the 805. It will be here in 2 weeks, but I wanted to know if anyone with an 805 experiences any "humming" coming from their fronts? Or, did anyone have a different receiver, including a lower model Onkyo, that produced a "humming" sound and then went to the 805 where it disappeared?

I'm truly hoping the 805 takes care of this. Although my wife can't notice it, I can and it's been bothering me for the last month. I spent so much money on upgrading my HT recently, including having my display calibrated, that I just want it to work the way it should.

Looking forward to being part of the 805 family. Now I just hope I don't have any issues with the "Lip Sync" problems I read about on some reviews. Hahahaha! That would just add to my frustration!

·
Registered
833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/13275558

V,

Thanks for the info on the zone 2 trigger. I figured it out but can not figure how to turn zone 2 on and off with my Harmony 688. It is too bad that the there is not a 12v trigger for the main system. Most other receivers I have owned have had at least one 12v trigger for the main system, why Onkyo decided to make it for zone 2 only does not make any sense to me.

. But the 705 has one 12v trigger which is not labeled zone 2 so I assume it is for the main system. The Integra 8.8, 7.8 and 6.8 receivers all have what looks like 4 12v triggers (main, A,B and C) for the main system. So I am taken aback at Onkyo's thoughts on this. I could see if they thought well it is a receiver then a 12v trigger is not needed for an external amp. But their Integra line has 4 of them on their top 3 receivers

To trigger on my A52 amp I use a AC/DC wall wart that I plug into 805s AC outlet with a mini plug on the other end to the A52. I would like to get the BXT amp/cooler fan but I do not have a remote turn on/off option as the AC oulet on the 805 is being used to trigger my amp

Bill

The 705's trigger is also only for zone2. And even worse for me, the australian 705 model doesnt have the powered outlet on the rear... so even if i used a "wall wart" plug to power some computer fans, i have no easy way to switch it on/off with the receiver

·
Registered
5 Posts
For some reason, for the past few days I have been unable to get any display of text/settings on the front of my 805 - just the blue light around the volume knob and around the Pure Audio button when I engage that feature. I have made sure that the unit is not in Pure Audio, and have cycled through the Display and Dimmer button options, as well as through the various audio options. I have even re-set the unit to the factory default settings - but I cannot get any display. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 /forum/post/13275866

The 705's trigger is also only for zone2. And even worse for me, the australian 705 model doesnt have the powered outlet on the rear... so even if i used a "wall wart" plug to power some computer fans, i have no easy way to switch it on/off with the receiver

Do they have anything like this in Australia? It would work for you. I used to use one to turn on bias lighting behind my tv when I would turn the tv on.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg12y /forum/post/13275931

For some reason, for the past few days I have been unable to get any display of text/settings on the front of my 805 - just the blue light around the volume knob and around the Pure Audio button when I engage that feature. I have made sure that the unit is not in Pure Audio, and have cycled through the Display and Dimmer button options, as well as through the various audio options. I have even re-set the unit to the factory default settings - but I cannot get any display. Any ideas?

Thanks

I saw some posts on our Aussie DTV forums about this issue. They mentioned that there is a 10 ohm .25w resistor feeding the LED unit, which needs to be replaced with a .50w one. This is info from a service centre over here. This guy fixed his himself, but i guess you could also send it to service centre

Have a read of posts 700 to about 714 here: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s...c=51983&st=680

Hope that helps

·
Registered
833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logmecode3 /forum/post/13275981

Do they have anything like this in Australia? It would work for you. I used to use one to turn on bias lighting behind my tv when I would turn the tv on.

Interesting concept... i certainly havent seen any power strips like that here, not to say there arent any though. I already have an 8 way isolated/surge protector board though, so not too keen on getting another one, for space and $$ reasons

If i decide to hookup fans i will probably just leave them running all the time, or I guess i could rig up a relay off the 12V zone 2 trigger, to power the fans... Messy though. Wish there was an off the shelf 12V relay switched power outlet. And that would still be annoying having to have zone2 on to use the trigger though.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/13275558

V,

Bill

Bill, not too familiar with the Harmony 688 but can't you get an activity or a macro going that says "fan on" and "fan off" that will do "Zone2" -> "On" -> "Receiver" and then for off "Zone2" -> "standby" -> "receiver"?

If that does not work, maybe hitting zone2 on the remote switches the codes that get emitted from the remote (as opposed to putting the receiver in a mode to receive commands intended for zone2) while the zone2 button is lit up? Just a guess.

V

·
Registered
14,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture /forum/post/13276094

Bill, not too familiar with the Harmony 688 but can't you get an activity or a macro going that says "fan on" and "fan off" that will do "Zone2" -> "On" -> "Receiver" and then for off "Zone2" -> "standby" -> "receiver"?

If that does not work, maybe hitting zone2 on the remote switches the codes that get emitted from the remote (as opposed to putting the receiver in a mode to receive commands intended for zone2) while the zone2 button is lit up? Just a guess.

V

V,

Good idea. I am sure I could work something out as the Harmony is very tweakable if you have the patience. I really would like to use the 12v trigger for my amp and the switched outlet for the fan. Or maybe some type of slim duplex 2x1 plug for both the wall wart and the fan. Where there is a will there is a way
!

Bill

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mine is running on the warm side.

Right now, after watching a move (2 1/2 hours) on DolbyDigital My temps are 65/61. I'm running 5.1; Polks RTi8s & center CSi3, surrounds from my Polk RM7200 system.

Yesterday it let it run at least 5-6 hours at -10 to 0db just in stereo mode......wanted to 'break-in' both the Onkie and the front Polks. Temps were about the same as now, would get higher, but never saw it at 69.

It's sitting on the floor at this point. I want this thing to get used a lot in this first month. Then it will sit until I get the basement (semi)-theater done. I couldn't pass up the shoponkyo deal on Presidents day.

Having watched a couple of movies the last 2 days, I found :

I had to adjust the lip sinc for both the DVD input and the Game/TV input. I set both to zero, and it is close enough not to notice. I am running the HDMI from the DVD player to the 805, then to the Sammy DLP. I am running Optical to the 805 from the Sammy DLP; just have OTA TV.

Second thing, I don't care for the THX Cinema surround; not enough bottom end; actually sounds shallow compared to either PLXII and DolbyDigital, IMO.

·
Registered
14,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 /forum/post/13275866

My mistake. When I looked at the back of the 705 (on Onkyo's site) it is not labeled as zone 2. Too bad yours does not have the switched outlet. Are the outlets omitted from other manufactures receivers sold in Australia as well?

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVC /forum/post/13275787

For the last month or so, I've owned the 705. It's a great receiver, but I've been getting this slight "humming" sound out of my Front Speakers. It's clearly audible up close, when I have the volume set betwee 65-70 in Absolute.

Anyway, I finally gave up on trying to figure it out and upgraded to the 805. It will be here in 2 weeks, but I wanted to know if anyone with an 805 experiences any "humming" coming from their fronts? Or, did anyone have a different receiver, including a lower model Onkyo, that produced a "humming" sound and then went to the 805 where it disappeared?

I'm truly hoping the 805 takes care of this. Although my wife can't notice it, I can and it's been bothering me for the last month. I spent so much money on upgrading my HT recently, including having my display calibrated, that I just want it to work the way it should.

Looking forward to being part of the 805 family. Now I just hope I don't have any issues with the "Lip Sync" problems I read about on some reviews. Hahahaha! That would just add to my frustration!

Humming is a not-so-uncommon issue and could very well be caused by something else besides your receiver: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=audio+hum

Good luck.

11541 - 11560 of 23987 Posts