AVS Forum banner

17321 - 17340 of 23999 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmu77 /forum/post/15236798

I listen to mine 95% time at around -33 and later at night closer to -40 .. seems everyone else is listening much louder! So for the fun of it, turned my ohm setting to 4ohms for the speakers and in the past 20mins the temperature has dropped by 11 degrees (temp went down from 58 to 47).

Just remember that for maximum effectiveness, you will need to re-run Audyssey whenever you change the impedance setting (that is, if you're using Audyssey).

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsenNET /forum/post/15210635

I've had my 805 for just over a year and it's worked fine until tonight. It turns off and the standby light blinks. If I let it set for 30 minutes or so it will turn back on but do the same thing after a short while. I tried to call Onkyo but after being on hold for awhile it goes to dead air. Any ideas? The closest service center is 163 miles away.

Looks like mine is ok. I moved it elsewhere and left it unplugged all night. Then I plugged it in with nothing hooked up and it was fine for hours so I moved it to the same receptacle but not through the surge strip and it's been fine for a few days. Maybe it was a power issue.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch_204 /forum/post/15237130

I have a bd 30 and if they are similiar then the first thing that you need to turn the audio on .

make sure resolution is set to 720P or less.

joel

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur /forum/post/15241070

joel

Just curious, but does the 805 hdmi pass 1080i and/or 1080p?

·
Registered
930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur /forum/post/15241070

joel

Got it set at 720p.

Actually before I went to work this morning I managed to get the 805 setup screen on my pj screen. That part of my problem was a poor connection (I think) between my DVI plug and my HDMI/DVI adapter.

I can now see the BD35 setup menu on my pj screen, but it is very distorted - horizontal lines badly mis-aligned.

Swapping the cable today, and going to try again tonight.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo /forum/post/15243039

Got it set at 720p.

Actually before I went to work this morning I managed to get the 805 setup screen on my pj screen. That part of my problem was a poor connection (I think) between my DVI plug and my HDMI/DVI adapter.

I can now see the BD35 setup menu on my pj screen, but it is very distorted - horizontal lines badly mis-aligned.

Swapping the cable today, and going to try again tonight.

In the BD 35 thread in blu ray player a fellow found that automtatic always went to 1080p so the 605 never connected with his bd 35. Using composite to set the resolution fixed the issue. I suggested 720p just to give a number that should work. Check out the bd 35 thread in the blu ray fourm for the full details.

Originally Posted by jgilliam1955

I did a firmware update by internet on the Panny 35. Then I set the HDMI to Video OFF & Audio to HDMI. Then the thing worked. I know get video & sound through the HDMI of my Onkyo 605.

Hope this helps.

jgilliam, the only thing I have to say is...

YOU ARE A GENIUS.

I promise you my firstborn son and my eternal gratitude. This totally solved my problem!! I can't tell you how much this whole situation was sapping my energy and making me really crabby. Not to mention now I don't have to talk to Panasonic and Onkyo customer support!

HDMI Video Mode to "Off" - this is just flabbergasting to me. It's the absolute last thing I would have thought about trying, and honestly it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why this would Ungrey the HDMI Resolution. (P.S. make sure to turn it back to "On" once you've got the resolution where you want it).

I have posted a step-by-step on my website. I've also left up the description of the problems and pictures I took, in case future readers may find it useful. Thanks again jgilliam!!!

http://sites.google.com/site/lyranac...nection-issues

P.S. I know I've said it before, but just want to say again that I think this forum and its members are great, and I really appreciate having the resource.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by MichiganMan1; Yesterday at 04:21 PM..

MichiganMan1

View Public Profile

Send a private message to MichiganMan1

Find More Posts by MichiganMan1

Add MichiganMan1 to Your Contacts

View User's Ads

Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Joel

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonvr /forum/post/15239275

I think Californians are cursed. I posted last week that my front display went out at almost the 1 year mark (to the day). I called Onkyo and they said I can take it to a local service center vs shipping it to Onkyo. I'm going to have my wife take it in next week while I am out of town on buiness for the next 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I just looked at the Onkyo page and there are no local service centers up by you

I hope your wife's been weightlifting for a while, 60+lbs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got the tint this weekend and will apply it here in the next day or two. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr /forum/post/15239689

Damn, I thought that keeping it dimmed would eliminate this problem. So it must be something else causing it. Mine is still going, it's about 8 months old, but I'm tripping because should something happen, my only solution would be to ship it out which I dread doing.

It all goes back to dumb Onkyo customer service. You'd think at least some of the key cities would have an authorized service center. I mean, everywhere you go they service Panasonic, Pioneer, etc etc products but not Onkyos. I talked to a local shop and they dropped Onkyo for failing to provide support and parts
. C'mon now... Parts?? They said it took Onkyo weeks and in some cases months to provide simple replacement parts and this frustrates the heck out of these shops and implicitly their customers. I can see from what everyone's posting that this seems to be true all over the country with minor exceptions.

What's their excuse?

There's an easy way to fix this without taking your 805 to a repair center.

All you need is some basic soldering skill and a trip to your local Radio Shack store for a resistor. Onkyo uses a weak resistor on the board responsible for the display. You would of course have to open up your onkyo. So if you are concerned about voiding your warranty, don't do this.

Finding the failed resistor is not simple. If you guys are interested in doing this, I can open up my onkyo and show you the steps with pictures and illustrations.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmu77 /forum/post/15236798

I listen to mine 95% time at around -33 and later at night closer to -40 .. seems everyone else is listening much louder!

I'm in the same boat. I generally have it running around -36 and closer to -40....seems everyone is way louder than I am. Of course, my wife wants to be able to talk to me during TV shows / movies.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambrian /forum/post/15246916

All you need is some basic soldering skill and a trip to your local Radio Shack store for a resistor. Onkyo uses a weak resistor on the board responsible for the display. You would of course have to open up your onkyo. So if you are concerned about voiding your warranty, don't do this.

Finding the failed resistor is not simple. If you guys are interested in doing this, I can open up my onkyo and show you the steps with pictures and illustrations.

(Emphasis added.)

Undoubtedly this was written with the absolute best of intentions, but this isn't "easy" for most people irrespective of any warranty issues. That said, an illustrated instructional for those who are so inclined would indeed be a great idea.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evena /forum/post/15247009

I'm in the same boat. I generally have it running around -36 and closer to -40....seems everyone is way louder than I am. Of course, my wife wants to be able to talk to me during TV shows / movies.

Wow! At -40, sounds to me like the wife wants to be the focal point and not the movie itself. Calibrated to 0 reference, -40 comes damn close to the equivalent of hitting the mute button in my setup. Perhaps you have speakers in the efficiency range of the mid to upper 90's(dB) or so. Otherwise, how does one realize any real semblance of surround envelopment at that level?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak /forum/post/15247173

Calibrated to 0 reference, -40 comes damn close to the equivalent of hitting the mute button in my setup. Perhaps you have speakers in the efficiency range of the mid to upper 90's(dB) or so. Otherwise, how does one realize any real semblance of surround envelopment at that level?

That might be it, I haven't actually done any calibrating beyond my initial setup disc. I did not do the 0 reference calibration: are you referring to the Audyssey setup with this or something else? Not the efficiency either as I'm running a Polk on wall setup with efficiency rated of 89 per speaker.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambrian /forum/post/15246916

please do...or pm me w/ pics and details...thx....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak /forum/post/15247173

Wow! At -40, sounds to me like the wife wants to be the focal point and not the movie itself. Calibrated to 0 reference, -40 comes damn close to the equivalent of hitting the mute button in my setup. Perhaps you have speakers in the efficiency range of the mid to upper 90's(dB) or so. Otherwise, how does one realize any real semblance of surround envelopment at that level?

Yes, -40 is very quiet. I have my 805 startup volume set to -42. The only reason for that is that I often listen to cable music stations if I'm having trouble sleeping. I have a macro on my remote that turns the 805 on (at -42), selects the cable input, then goes to my favorite music channel....really handy to have to push only one button when you're half asleep. Anyway, -42 is just enough that it is a nice background sound, but there is no way I could even begin to watch a movie at that level.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As promised, here's the tutorial to the display burnout fix.

Disclaimer: Doing this will probably void your warranty. It's not 100% that this will fix your burned out display as there might be other reasons for it. If you do this and fail to fix it, sending the unit back to onkyo might be a risky proposition.

There's high voltage within this unit, so be careful when navigating it and not to get shocked! Ground yourself!

Things you'll need:

-Two 10-ohm 1W resistors; obtained at your local radioshack. The original 805 resistors are 1/4W I believe, which explains their early burnout.

-small plier

-A soldering iron; can also be obtained at your Radioshack.

-Solder; preferably a medium-small diameter

-A pencil or marker to mark orientation of cables so you can plug them back in.

-A basic knowledge of soldering. This is very important as it is the most difficult of the procedure. You can accidentally burn your board if not careful. Youtube soldering to learn basic skills. I suggest you practice soldering on some old PCB's that you have lying around.

Step 1: Open your 805 chassis. If you look at your unit from its rear, you'll notice a green PCB (board) at the top left corner.

Step 2: Notice the hi-lighted components. You will need to unplug the 3 cables. You'll also need a plier to squeeze those white retention pins at the corners. Take note of the circled resistors.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Step 3: PUll out the cable on the right side

Step 4: Push on the white cable retainer in the direction toward the PCB. Then gently pull out the cables. Take note of the orientation of the polarity so you don't plug it back in

the opposite polarity.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Awesome writeup thanks a million. I'll have to keep this in the back of my mind in case of emergency.

17321 - 17340 of 23999 Posts