AVS Forum banner

6081 - 6100 of 6123 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Required V1.08/1.09 Firmware for Onkyo TX-SR875

Hi Tspeer,
I have Onkyo TX-SR875 which have issue with its Front Left and Front Right channel. It also having issue to play DSP sound mode. It works ok with multi channel analog input with either pure audio or direct audio mode. So I think there may be issue of firmware. Can you upload working link or ISO file of that firmware? You can mail me on [email protected]

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hi Tspeer,
I have Onkyo TX-SR875 which have issue with its Front Left and Front Right channel. It also having issue to play DSP sound mode. It works ok with multi channel analog input with either pure audio or direct audio mode. So I think there may be issue of firmware. Can you upload working link or ISO file of that firmware? You can mail me on [email protected]
I've reuploaded the firmware here: https://sabercathost.com/9e2e/xx5_Onkyo_UpdatesISO.zip

·
Registered
68 Posts
Main Firmware on Onkyo TX-SR875

Sir I tried to update Main Firmware of Onkyo TX-SR875 with USB to Serial Adapter via Windows 7 Desktop machine. As per given direction I did all like connecting properly USB to Serial Adapter with USB Cable, Select proper Com Port and Port Speed on App Updater, then Power on the AVR with holding Enter Button which gives me Main Firmware 1.01/07615L on display. But After clicking on update process Onkyo AVR shows "Searching F/W..." on display. No progress after that. So whats the problem with that? Am I missing something or done anything wrong?

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
As per few previous post some people says that they downgrade Onkyo TX-SR875 firmware from 1.08 to 1.07 to 1.04 and then re-update it to 1.04 to 1.07 to 1.08. So my question is how can i identify the firmware version before applying it to Onkyo?
Check Your existing firmware version:
=> Turn on Your unit, push & hold "Display", press "Standby", release buttons
=> To see additional firmware infos (DSPs etc) press button underneath "Tone" repeatedly ( don't wait to long)

It sounds like you are 1.01. You should update to 1.08. However, if I remember right, to do any serial port updating, you need the connector that plugs into the back, that puts it in update mode thru the serial port. It's called the dongle in the directions. It was a resistor and a wire on it, relatively simple. But to make it work we had to have small circuit boards made to plug into that port.
It's been a very long time since I updated mine so the details are foggy, but it is all explained in the documents in the ISO, which also includes the firmware. If your unit is at main 1.01, you probably also need the DSP update. That is one that has to uploaded by playing a special CD (optically connected I think also) that was burned with the DSP update iso file. Again, instructions are in the documents.

Once you make the dongle and plug it in, firmware update will proceed. You are almost there, just missed that one detail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check Your existing firmware version:
=> Turn on Your unit, push & hold "Display", press "Standby", release buttons
=> To see additional firmware infos (DSPs etc) press button underneath "Tone" repeatedly ( don't wait to long)

It sounds like you are 1.01. You should update to 1.08. However, if I remember right, to do any serial port updating, you need the connector that plugs into the back, that puts it in update mode thru the serial port. It's called the dongle in the directions. It was a resistor and a wire on it, relatively simple. But to make it work we had to have small circuit boards made to plug into that port.
It's been a very long time since I updated mine so the details are foggy, but it is all explained in the documents in the ISO, which also includes the firmware. If your unit is at main 1.01, you probably also need the DSP update. That is one that has to uploaded by playing a special CD (optically connected I think also) that was burned with the DSP update iso file. Again, instructions are in the documents.

Once you make the dongle and plug it in, firmware update will proceed. You are almost there, just missed that one detail.
I got following result.
1. DSP 1st: SR8051 08214A
2. DSP 2nd: SR8052 07518A
3. DSP 3rd: SR8053 07820B
HDMI: 1.01/07706A
Video: 07606E00924
Main: 87 1.08/08223A (But showing 1.01 when power up receiver with holding the Enter button on receiver)
HDMI 1.01/07706A
I tried to do main firmware update with USB to Serial Adapter but not get success. Sir after atteampting so many ideas my receiver still having issues with Digital Sound. This time I am sure that DSP Boards are ok (I tried 2 boards with latest firmware). All Amp Board also fine. So few doubt I have.
1. Digital Sound issue due to any kind of RELAY or some kind of DIR cheap which converts all sound in multichannel sound?
2. Bad Capacitors of HDMI Board cause this?
3. Corrupted Main Firmware cause this issue? Corrupted DSP Version identify with Question mark in firmware version but how to identify corrupt Main Firmware?

Sorry for too much questions. I asked these because local repairer in India cant goes in to root of cause they basically ask for change whole board or exchange this type of amp with other low grade amp.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I got following result.
1. DSP 1st: SR8051 08214A
2. DSP 2nd: SR8052 07518A
3. DSP 3rd: SR8053 07820B
HDMI: 1.01/07706A
Main: 87 1.08/08223A (But showing 1.01 when power up receiver with holding the Enter button on receiver)
HDMI 1.01/07706A
I tried to do main firmware update with USB to Serial Adapter but not get success. Sir after atteampting so many ideas my receiver still having issues with Digital Sound. This time I am sure that DSP Boards are ok (I tried 2 boards with latest firmware). All Amp Board also fine. So few doubt I have.
1. Digital Sound issue due to any kind of RELAY or some kind of DIR cheap which converts all sound in multichannel sound?
2. Bad Capacitors of HDMI Board cause this?
3. Corrupted Main Firmware cause this issue? Corrupted DSP Version identify with Question mark in firmware version but how to identify corrupt Main Firmware?

Sorry for too much questions. I asked these because local repairer in India cant goes in to root of cause they basically ask for change whole board or exchange this type of amp with other low grade amp.
Ok. I checked my firmware versions on my unit, I think all you need is the HDMI update. Also. the number after the 1.08/ is different on mine, and I am not sure what that second number means. If you can get the updates to start loading, I think all you need is the HDMI update. If I remember right, all that the HDMI update does is make it lock on to hdmi signals a little faster (still kinda slow), and perhaps a bit more compatible to certain problem tv's or other components.

But regarding the HDMI... I looked around in the folders I have from way back then, and it would appear I only have an HDMI for a different model Onkyo, and it is only v1.01 anyway. If it is even possible to update the HDMI firmware, it isn't likely to fix any issues. Your DSP's are already up to date.

My firmware versions are at:
Main: 87 1.08/08414A
DSP 1st: SR8051 08214A
DSP 2nd: SR8052 07518A
DSP 3rd: SR8053 07820B
HDMI: 1.02/08528A

I did the Main update on mine for sure. I think it had 1.06 when I bought it. Can't recall if the HDMI updates as part of the Main update. It might, so it wouldn't hurt to try applying the Main 1.08 update to yours, to see if the HDMI version changes, or if that number after the 1.08 changes..

But if you are trying to fix the Front Left/Right still, I don't think its your firmware. Also, I wasn't sure if your front left/right DID work, while in multichannel input mode, and in Direct/Pure mode?

If so, that does sound like the main Amp circuits are good, but your signal processor has some issue. If they can determine which board you need, you might be able to find it on Ebay. But replacing it is likely the only way to fix that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok. I checked my firmware versions on my unit, I think all you need is the HDMI update. Also. the number after the 1.08/ is different on mine, and I am not sure what that second number means. If you can get the updates to start loading, I think all you need is the HDMI update. If I remember right, all that the HDMI update does is make it lock on to hdmi signals a little faster (still kinda slow), and perhaps a bit more compatible to certain problem tv's or other components.

But regarding the HDMI... I looked around in the folders I have from way back then, and it would appear I only have an HDMI for a different model Onkyo, and it is only v1.01 anyway. If it is even possible to update the HDMI firmware, it isn't likely to fix any issues. Your DSP's are already up to date.

My firmware versions are at:
Main: 87 1.08/08414A
DSP 1st: SR8051 08214A
DSP 2nd: SR8052 07518A
DSP 3rd: SR8053 07820B
HDMI: 1.02/08528A

I did the Main update on mine for sure. I think it had 1.06 when I bought it. Can't recall if the HDMI updates as part of the Main update. It might, so it wouldn't hurt to try applying the Main 1.08 update to yours, to see if the HDMI version changes, or if that number after the 1.08 changes..

But if you are trying to fix the Front Left/Right still, I don't think its your firmware. Also, I wasn't sure if your front left/right DID work, while in multichannel input mode, and in Direct/Pure mode?

If so, that does sound like the main Amp circuits are good, but your signal processor has some issue. If they can determine which board you need, you might be able to find it on Ebay. But replacing it is likely the only way to fix that.
Sir I updated Main Firmware to V1.05 to latest 1.08, I tried to update HDMI Version from 1.01 to 1.02 but not succeed. As I said previously Onkyo TX-SR875 works ok in all kind of analog and digital input and give output to all speakers except popping/crackling sound in Front Left and Surround Right Channel, so I thought may be there was issue of DSP Board and bought another used board from Ebay. And day by day Onkyo facing weird problems, like it stop working in digital input, then it stop working in multichannel input and didnt give preouts signals. Now Its works only in CD, Tape, other kind of analog stereo input and give sound only in PURE AUDIO or DIRECT MODE. But sound is not pure crystal clear I mean to say it sounds like speakers covers with heavy blanket. And many times Onkyo suddenly shuts off in stand by mode. I already placed 140mm high speed low noise DC fan exactly on HDMI Board.
From last few weeks I read Service manual and comments of users on Onkyo 875 and I thought that there may be issue of Amplifier PC Board (U06-NAASP-9050) which has Q4029, Q4304, Q4305, Q4306 which all gets analog and digital signals from sources and give output to speakers. Its just my observation, I am not sure about this.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok, good. At least you managed to get the firmware updated.

The popping/crackling could be one of the boards... but, since you get that in Pure mode too, which should bypass the circuits, it could be the amp circuits themselves for those channels causing it.

This is a good video on how to fix a cause of digital noise:
He is fixing a different receiver, but it's the same family. If the noise appeared in 2 channels at once, then a fix like he did could very well fix yours, as he basically fixed the power filtering on a 3.3v regulator that was in the early portions of the signal chain. With the service manual and the right equipment (oscilloscope) the source of the issue could probably be located and then fixed. I would check the pre-outs to see if those also have the noise: use something like headphones on each of the possibly affected pre-amp output channels. If the noise is there too, it is much more likely that the cause is one of the processing boards.

But as old as these receivers are, depending on the cost to fix it at some point it isn't worth it to try to repair. But if you are finding parts on ebay, and you can determine which part/board is the cause, probably be cheaper to fix than a new or used receiver.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok, good. At least you managed to get the firmware updated.

The popping/crackling could be one of the boards... but, since you get that in Pure mode too, which should bypass the circuits, it could be the amp circuits themselves for those channels causing it.

This is a good video on how to fix a cause of digital noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5UsS49170
He is fixing a different receiver, but it's the same family. If the noise appeared in 2 channels at once, then a fix like he did could very well fix yours, as he basically fixed the power filtering on a 3.3v regulator that was in the early portions of the signal chain. With the service manual and the right equipment (oscilloscope) the source of the issue could probably be located and then fixed. I would check the pre-outs to see if those also have the noise: use something like headphones on each of the possibly affected pre-amp output channels. If the noise is there too, it is much more likely that the cause is one of the processing boards.

But as old as these receivers are, depending on the cost to fix it at some point it isn't worth it to try to repair. But if you are finding parts on ebay, and you can determine which part/board is the cause, probably be cheaper to fix than a new or used receiver.
Sir I see that video but if I am not wrong this is for Digital noise cause by faulty components of HDMI Board, and my avr doesn't face digital noise issue. As I said it works only in Stereo channels in pure audio or direct audio mode. Doesn't output any signal from remaining channels as well as 7.1 preouts.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ah ok. That does still sound like one of the boards would be where the defect is. But the cause is probably a bad chip (integrated circuit), which means the whole board would need replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just founded out that this receiver has a fan in it, hadn't noticed because it has never worked. Are there any known issues with the fans in the 875

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Help:
I had re-connected my Onkyo TX-SR875 to my humble 4K UHD TV. BTW I had done it before. The minor problem all of sudden is the AVR screen shows continuously HDMI through instead of the sound in use like Dolby D for Dolby Digital or DTS HD Master, etc.
I have gone through the setup menu a couple of times without any success. I never had this problem before with the setup with two different TVs. What have I done wrong?
Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
Some HDMI cables are directional, meaning a specific end is the input, and the other is the output. You might check that.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Help:
I had re-connected my Onkyo TX-SR875 to my humble 4K UHD TV. BTW I had done it before. The minor problem all of sudden is the AVR screen shows continuously HDMI through instead of the sound in use like Dolby D for Dolby Digital or DTS HD Master, etc.
I have gone through the setup menu a couple of times without any success. I never had this problem before with the setup with two different TVs. What have I done wrong?
Thanks

Check the source device... They could be configured wrong

6081 - 6100 of 6123 Posts