AVS Forum banner

6101 - 6120 of 6123 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah ok. That does still sound like one of the boards would be where the defect is. But the cause is probably a bad chip (integrated circuit), which means the whole board would need replaced.

My Onkyo TX-SR875 shows 7 blank squares of speakers icons, it doesn't detect audio input source and not let me go to change audio out source either with remote or with front panel button. Any suggestion highly appreciated.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My Onkyo TX-SR875 shows 7 blank squares of speakers icons, it doesn't detect audio input source and not let me go to change audio out source either with remote or with front panel button. Any suggestion highly appreciated.
That's not one of the more obvious failure types.. some more obvious ones are the HDMI board (HDMI input stops working) or part of the Amp circuit (channel goes out).

Can you change input at all? Like go to Tuner, and see if you get audio by tuning to an FM radio station?

If you can't control the receiver functions/settings at all, it sounds like the board the operates the front panel or main logic has an issue. Doesn't sound like the Amplifier circuits or inputs/HDMI board. I haven't ever tore one down myself, or know where you could get parts. You would probably need an authorized repair center to look at it. And if you need to ship it to get it to one, may not be worth fixing. If you have a local repair shop that can troubleshoot it, might have them give you an estimate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's not one of the more obvious failure types.. some more obvious ones are the HDMI board (HDMI input stops working) or part of the Amp circuit (channel goes out).

Can you change input at all? Like go to Tuner, and see if you get audio by tuning to an FM radio station?

If you can't control the receiver functions/settings at all, it sounds like the board the operates the front panel or main logic has an issue. Doesn't sound like the Amplifier circuits or inputs/HDMI board. I haven't ever tore one down myself, or know where you could get parts. You would probably need an authorized repair center to look at it. And if you need to ship it to get it to one, may not be worth fixing. If you have a local repair shop that can troubleshoot it, might have them give you an estimate.

As per technician Onkyo 875 Power Amp section is 100% perfect working. HDMI Video also works perfect. He successfully updated Main Firmware and HDMI Board Firmware but unable to update DSP Firmware because processor doesn't detect any input analog/digital audio signal. He said its very difficult to work on processor section. He tried with another working DSP Board but result was same no speakers icons and no audio detection. He said that there may be some issues with DSP Board detection signal, it may be either with Microprocessor board or with Optical Board but not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
As per technician Onkyo 875 Power Amp section is 100% perfect working. HDMI Video also works perfect. He successfully updated Main Firmware and HDMI Board Firmware but unable to update DSP Firmware because processor doesn't detect any input analog/digital audio signal. He said its very difficult to work on processor section. He tried with another working DSP Board but result was same no speakers icons and no audio detection. He said that there may be some issues with DSP Board detection signal, it may be either with Microprocessor board or with Optical Board but not sure.

Have you tried moving the DSP firmware chip from the "crackling" board to the "not working" board? It will be marked as Q3451.

Also, can you check the firmware revisions for DSP1,2 and 3 on the new (non working) board and post them?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you tried moving the DSP firmware chip from the "crackling" board to the "not working" board? It will be marked as Q3451.

Also, can you check the firmware revisions for DSP1,2 and 3 on the new (non working) board and post them?

DSP Firmware result is same for both DSP Board. Once I got succeed to update DSP Firmware with HDMI Firmware Update Utility where it has an option of DSP Firmware update. But still having blank speaker box icons and no audio. So I tried to update one more time but that time it quit the process within 2 or 3 seconds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tx-sr875-Surround Channels Drop Out.

Hi,
We have an Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver that after being on for a few hours, looses both surround channels. The sound is there when we first turn it on then after some time it just disappears. We’ve taken it in to be looked at by an Onkyo preferred repairer but they are not getting the same results, they say they have sound. I’m thinking they maybe aren’t running/testing it for a long enough period of time to get the same results as us.

Anyone had this same issue or know of a fix for it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Onkyo Tx-sr875 when switched off restarts in test mode or with sound delay

Hi All,

I have an intermittant problem with my Tx-sr875.

I set all my settings and then turn off the amp over night. 50% of the time I'll switch the amp and it will either start in test mode, or start with an AV delay.

This is then only solved by doing a factory reset.

does anyone know how to solve this issue or has anyone heard of it before?

It's liveable but incredible stressful to do every day.

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm looking to buy an 875 locally for $100. Includes remote, calibration mic, and AM/FM antennas. For now, I'm building out a 2.1 system and may migrate to a 5.1 system eventually, but probably not until eARC becomes mainstream and I can get a new TV and used receiver that support it. My TV will be the source via optical or stero RCA, so it will be used for both movies and music. On the music side, I listen to a lot of EDM so bass performance is important, but I also listen to a lot of classical so dynamic range and detail is also important.

My question is, I know Onkyo has had issues with reliability in the past. I think the 875 falls into that period, but as their 2nd from the top line model in 2007-08, did it also suffer from issues? I've missed out on a couple great deals like a Yamaha V2700 for $100 and Yamaha A730 for $60, so even if I pass on this one, I hope that I'll continue to have the opportunity to pick up a high end receiver for cheap.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Yes, the SR875 and even NR905 still had faulty HDMI board issues. Still, an SR875 that's still fully functional for $100 is a decent roll of the dice as long as you remember it's a 13 yr old AVR and could go up in a puff of smoke at any minute. If you're feeding it via optical from your TV, though, even a dead HDMI board wouldn't render it inoperable. It's a lot of power for the money and has still passable room eq (MultEQ XT). I'd say go for it. For comparison, my NR905 is still running at 100% (including HDMI board) in my brother's theater.

I may be biased by good experience, but I got mine used for $300 about 7 years ago and thought it was a steal then (the only difference between it and the SR875 are the now useless network functions). I hated to see mine go when I upgraded for ATMOS and feel that upgrade likely wasn't worth the price/effort, but it was part of a larger 4K/HDR upgrade as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, apart from the HDMI issue its still a beast and worth $100. There are guides on You tube how to fix it. Mine went and I just replaced all the surface mount capacitors ( an hours work if you know what your doing)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Love my 875, have had it for years, and it's been terrific!

Recently, I did a major re-organization of my HT setup, and now, upon reconnecting everything, I'm having problems with the 875 converting and passing through analog video inputs (S-video and Composite video) to the HDMI output to my TV.

I have a bunch of HDMI sources, several of them through an external HDMI switcher - and they all correctly pass through and display on my TV. It's the analog video inputs taht aren't getting passed to teh HDMI output,

I have "HDMI monitor" set to "yes", but when i select my LD player (connected to the DVD S-video input) all i get is a blue screen, and no video.
Similarly, my VHS player, connected to the composite VCR input outputs a blue screen. I've gone through every setting that I can think of, and everything seems correct. Can anybody point to something else for me to look for as an error I'm making?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I currently own a 875 and so far it has worked for me at 100%. Only issue I ever had is one day the front display was out but I had a friend solder in a new resister for me and it has worked great since. Its dated but has a lot of power and still suits my needs in my home theater. I may consider upgrading when I get a 4K display and go 4K blu ray but the days of dumping 5K on theater hardware just so I can have the latest is kind of over.

I have decided to do a tune up and recalibrate Audyssey plus some other minor details. Problem is at some point in the past my wife while cleaning house tossed my microphone. The 875 uses an older style hockey puck sized microphone. Interestingly the very similar 876 uses an updated microphone and far more common microphone shaped like the Eiffel Tower. At first I thought an Audyssey microphone was an Audyssey microphone and I could just buy the updated verson and use it. However decided to research it and it turns out the old style hockey puck version is what you want to use and the newer microphone (MIGHT) not be compatible. Its an Onkyo microphone and the model is MIC-5000. I thought you could easily find a replacement on eBay or order one direct from Onkyo but despite being a popular microphone they have all vanished!

Reading on the internet some have used the newer Audyssey microphone with great results but the few post I have read can't comment on accuracy but the sound was richer and fuller then what the got with the MIC-5000 microphone. I parts company in Australia claims to have one in stock but have yet to reach them and trying to order online it did not have the ability for international shipping. A few years ago Wall Mart and Amazon had MIC-5000 microphones but now show as out of stock. One Ebay listing shows for sale but out of stock. Onkyo USA Parts shows it as discontinued without a replacement listed. A posting on a UK eBay site shows a Pioneer hockey puck style microphone and in the description says it also works with Onkyo receivers as well. The one on the UK eBay site actually looks just like the Onkyo part. Have also researched that some of the Denon microphones might work as well but no reference to which ones!

I just assume keep it simple and get the original Onkyo MIC-5000 version and call it good. However as of right now this may not be an easy option. I will either need an alternative that actually works or just not bother with it which I don't want to do. Its a bit odd these MIC-5000 or a generic copy is not available. It was used on a lot of Onkyo receivers for a few years. Onkyo decided to standardize it when the 876 came out. Its not out of the realm of possibility that the updated ACM1H (currently a dime a dozen out there) works fine as it does on the 876 but not much data out there that supports it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

i think mine just took a crap today. was always waiting for the hdmi section to die, didnt expect the dsp to go, but i think i had a power surge today while i was at work. im going to stop by the onkyo repair station near me to see if they can service this or diagnose it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you feel brave enough open it up and replace the caps on the HDMI board yourself, it'll take a couple of hours and the cost is very low. If that does not work apply heat to the DSP chip. Take your time and take lots of pictures before disassembly

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own a 875 and so far it has worked for me at 100%. Only issue I ever had is one day the front display was out but I had a friend solder in a new resister for me and it has worked great since. Its dated but has a lot of power and still suits my needs in my home theater. I may consider upgrading when I get a 4K display and go 4K blu ray but the days of dumping 5K on theater hardware just so I can have the latest is kind of over.

I have decided to do a tune up and recalibrate Audyssey plus some other minor details. Problem is at some point in the past my wife while cleaning house tossed my microphone. The 875 uses an older style hockey puck sized microphone. Interestingly the very similar 876 uses an updated microphone and far more common microphone shaped like the Eiffel Tower. At first I thought an Audyssey microphone was an Audyssey microphone and I could just buy the updated verson and use it. However decided to research it and it turns out the old style hockey puck version is what you want to use and the newer microphone (MIGHT) not be compatible. Its an Onkyo microphone and the model is MIC-5000. I thought you could easily find a replacement on eBay or order one direct from Onkyo but despite being a popular microphone they have all vanished!

Reading on the internet some have used the newer Audyssey microphone with great results but the few post I have read can't comment on accuracy but the sound was richer and fuller then what the got with the MIC-5000 microphone. I parts company in Australia claims to have one in stock but have yet to reach them and trying to order online it did not have the ability for international shipping. A few years ago Wall Mart and Amazon had MIC-5000 microphones but now show as out of stock. One Ebay listing shows for sale but out of stock. Onkyo USA Parts shows it as discontinued without a replacement listed. A posting on a UK eBay site shows a Pioneer hockey puck style microphone and in the description says it also works with Onkyo receivers as well. The one on the UK eBay site actually looks just like the Onkyo part. Have also researched that some of the Denon microphones might work as well but no reference to which ones!

I just assume keep it simple and get the original Onkyo MIC-5000 version and call it good. However as of right now this may not be an easy option. I will either need an alternative that actually works or just not bother with it which I don't want to do. Its a bit odd these MIC-5000 or a generic copy is not available. It was used on a lot of Onkyo receivers for a few years. Onkyo decided to standardize it when the 876 came out. Its not out of the realm of possibility that the updated ACM1H (currently a dime a dozen out there) works fine as it does on the 876 but not much data out there that supports it.
Look for the "audyssey microphone". That one is used by Onkyo and other brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you feel brave enough open it up and replace the caps on the HDMI board yourself, it'll take a couple of hours and the cost is very low. If that does not work apply heat to the DSP chip. Take your time and take lots of pictures before disassembly
If only I knew that (Onkyo+quality) before I bought myself an Integra atmos 11:2....and it failing (DSP chip) just outside the guarantee period...

·
Registered
4 Posts
If only I knew that (Onkyo+quality) before I bought myself an Integra atmos 11:2....and it failing (DSP chip) just outside the guarantee period...
ya after this, i'll probably be switching to separates and just pony up for an audiocontrol processor.

6101 - 6120 of 6123 Posts