AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Oppo/AIX Records – BR Music Sampler & Calibration Disc.

Just received the Disc. Setup & working on the using the calibration section.

Music is VERY nice...

db

Yes, his name is Dave, and Yes, he is blind, and Yes, he is leading the lost!

"ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you"

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
System Calibration Introduction

System Setup Tutorial

Channel Identification Tests /7.1/5.1/2.0

Speaker Balance Tests /7.1/5.1/2.0

Speaker Phase Tests /7.1/5.1/2.0

Frequency Sweep Tests

Subwoofer Sweep Test

Subwoofer Crossover Test

Samples:

Mercy Of The Wheels (Male Vocal/Acoustic 5-Piece Band)

Let Me (Female Vocal/Piano)

Henry's Farm (Acoustic Guitar)

Pachelbel Acoustica (Acoustic & Electric Guitar 7-Piece Band)

Primavera (Female Vocal/Acoustic 5-Piece Band)

Luxury Liner (Male Vocal/Electric 5-Piece Band)

Shostakovich Piano Quintet Op. 57 - Prelude (Piano/String Quartet)

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/16952211

What are the specs on the audio tracks?

--Bob

All seven video studio samples were offered in two audio formats:

96 Khz/24 bit /7.1 ch

Dolby True-HD "stage" mix

96 Khz/24 bit/2.0 ch

PCM Stereo Mix

Channel Test for example offers:

96 Khz/24 bit /7.1 ch Dolby True HD

96 Khz/24 bit /7.1 ch DTS-HD-MA

96 Khz/24 bit /7.1 ch LPCM

96 Khz/24 bit /5.1 ch LPCM

48 Khz/16 bit /5.1 ch Dolby Digital

48 Khz/24 bit /5.1 ch DTS

96 Khz/24 bit /2.0 ch LPCM

48 Khz/16 bit /2.0 ch Dolby Digital

I thought the introduction and tutorial was rather interesting as they kept showing a Oppo BDP-83 and Denon AVR-4308CI.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Oppo/AIX Records - BR Music Sampler & Calibration Disc.

First off,, I was looking forward to this disc. I have a number of AIX disc and have meet with Mark Waldrep, he is a very respectable guy.

The Music side, the Music sounds fantastic. If music could be liquid this would be one of the purest.

The calibration disc??? There are a few minor but nagging issues. If this is going to be reference quality calibration disc. that is one thing. If is just another test calibration discs'' that you get with many BR disc then it is what it is.

I'll look at all this again on Friday. ** This is all with * D2ch. & MCA

The screen Notes [the lettering] is a little small and hard to read at a distance.

1. Speaker Balance test. The test tones move from one speaker to the next- way to fast- I don't get it! By the time you get the AIX speaker tones going and then 5 clicks later to get to the Oppo speaker setup screen and Id. which speaker to trim. The test tone is onto the next speaker. This will be VERY FUSTRATING, for many new calibrators. And since the intro'' is gear towards someone who had never had a BR nor DVD player before, this isn't a good thing.

2. Speaker Balance test: could use a little better tutorial /explanation. For why/how you set your player or AVR to use LPCM.

96khz/24bit/7.1 LPCM- if you have 7.1 systems this for you

96khz/24bit/5.1 LPCM-

48khz/24bit/5.1 DD

3. Audio Menu Screen- where- Audio Setup- shows

96khz/24bit 7.1 DTrueHD'stage' mix

96khz/24bit 2.och PCM Stereo

The highlights are either white or teal- but you cannot determine which highlighted color gives what you want give us a sign!

4. In-phase- out-phasesexplain what you should and should not be hearing. And something is maybe off here I have no; In-phase- out-phases issues when using the AVIA test tones. But with AIX the surround phase do not change much.

5. Fix the 2.0 PCM test tones. - Mine seems Broken, but not for Jason.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB /forum/post/16952287

The screen Notes [the lettering] is a little small and hard to read at a distance.

Need Glasses?

Depends on the display type and viewed distance IMHO.

I though the second piece "Let Me" was wonderful and personal. I can see why he likes the natural reverberation of the recording environment which yields a superior sound quality against typical recording studio environments and mixing consoles used to artificially change the recordings.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants /forum/post/16952495

2 new threads today!

Thanks for the heads up DORKS!

...and screw all you people who live on the west coast and get to enjoy all this stuff days before I do.

Naughty people get shoved to the back of the line!

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I received it today and have played it through. I think a very nice job was done with this disc. As always, the AIX fidelity for the 7 music selections is first rate. I have 5 AIX DVD-A's and all are offer excellent fidelity. I am ready to absolutely leave DVD-A and SACD behind and only purchase any upcoming high resolution audio releases on Blu-ray, I hope there are going to be titles to purchase.

I can read the text easily on both displays I have played this disc. I sit about 7 feet from a 42" 1080p LCD and 11 feet from a 720p LCD front projector with 100" diagonal screen. I liked the way this disc was set up, the test tones, menu options and everything flowed easily for me. I am sure more technically inclined people can offer recommendations for improvements or additional test tones or technical data but for me, I found it informative and very easy to use. Both of my systems appear to set up properly which is good news since I really hadn't even used a test disc on my secondary system.

Chris

·
Read the FAQ!
35,937 Posts
As pointed out above, trying to use this disc while making adjustments in the Oppo's Speaker Configuration menu is going to be frustrating since the speaker volume balance tracks don't loop.

But as a workaround, I believe you can use the controls in the Oppo to set the Track to loop before you go into the Setup menu. You'll still have to wait for each speaker to come around again, but at least you don't have to rush to try to get into the menu while the tone is still playing.

--Bob

·
Registered
17,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV /forum/post/16955760

Naughty people get shoved to the back of the line!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/16956364

AIX disc and blue S&M filters arrived today on the east coast.

So if you don't have yours yet, well, lumps of coal probably take longer to get there....

--Bob

Well, some packages are so large and heavy (31.2 lbs), it just takes longer to get to the recipient.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AIX/Oppo CALIBRATION test #2.

Item one: relooked at the lettering issue, I had my display set for night and it was bright that afternoon and I put my on eyeglass - so lettering looks OK.

Item two: Fix the 2.0 PCM test tones. – Mine seems Broken, but not for Jason.

I retried this last night and it played fine, could not find or repeat my issues. For me yesterday, the test tones started and the stopped then started – 1.5 sec…

Item three: recalibrated this morning. Everything was fine. My setting remained the same.

One note, 96khz/24bit/5.1 LPCM- my dB setting w/ AIX are much different than with AVIA dB test tones. My L /R dB speakers are now _0_. & center> –2.5, SR> -0-, SL> 1.5. SW (in Oppo- 0-), At Knob plate remained same ~10:00am.

Item four: The Oppo repeat/loop seems not to function on this disc. I have/can use loop feature for speaker trim with AVIA. One can click

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The disc sounds great and looks great and now I am a fan of Carl Verheyen and The AIX

All Stars. According to this my system faired well except for the ultra low frequencies which I know my sub needs upgrading.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.