AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the highly underrated thriller THE OTHERS. Man I love this movie. Even though I knew the ending, the film was such a treat to see again. This is the way "horror" movies should be made ... show less, get more.

I do have to ***** about the choice of the "layer switch" though. I don't understand why this is so difficult for studios to understand. Put the damn layer switch in a spot that is not so noticeable!!! Sheesh!!! The layer switch on this disc is awful !!! Right in the middle of talking heads. If I didn't know any better, I would think this disc was defective and take it back for an exchange !!! Of course then I would watch it again and discover that the same thing happens on the new disc !!! Ugh !!!! This is such a drag to be so engrossed in a movie and then to run into this pathetic choice for a layer switch!!! The studios need to wake up !!!

On another note, did anyone else get a fair amount of "white specs" in the first half hour of this film? Well maybe 'fair amount' sounds a little much, but I did see a couple white specs here and there for the first half hour or so. This is probably just the nature of the transfer, but I thought I would check with everyone else just to make sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did anyone else find themselves constantly turning the volume up to hear the soft dialogue in "The Others", then back down when the music kicks in ?

Maybe it's just my lack of a good Center channel.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely low in the center channel ... I cranked it way up to hear and some parts (like the screaming) got really loud. I was wondering if this wasn't done for "effect" because turning it up really enhanced the back channel stuff like footsteps and whispering from channel to channel ... scared the hell out of me! I felt like someone was in the room with me. I loved it !! Actually I jumped out of my seat no less than 3 times and despite the fact that I knew the ending (because I had already seen it in the theater), I found that it didn't take away from my viewing pleasure at all ... this movie is just cool. The old school way of frightening ... show less, get more ...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
O/T Now you will understand why I like my listening to dolby surround in headphones.

On my Sennheser device I have the usual bass, volume, side control, besides 3 DSP (digital processing modes) Theatre, Hall, and Club atmosphere.

2 things I have you may or may not have. 1 to 20 red colored L.E.D. settings in 'ambience' and a 'front to rear' setting of 20 LED. The rear I normally keep at the bottom 1 for full sounding *rear*.

Ambience differs if the movie is set in a hollow or cave, do I *up* the ambience to make it come alive or visa versa if it's out in the open! :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
CROW331,

I noticed the white specs as well. I also noticed a bit of stuttering in the pans that I thought was a problem with my HTPC. I checked and doublechecked the HTPC settings (DMA and Hardware acceleration) and I tested another high motion DVD with no problem. I was about to return this DVD as defective, but now it seems more like bad authoring. Otherwise the movie content was a real thrill. I enjoyed it thoroughly as I had no idea about the ending. The soundtrack is especially great with bass shakers. I also thought it felt like someone else was in the room when those footsteps were in the rears and side surrounds. Very cool.

Dan

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Definitely low in the center channel and really bad layer change. I usually don't notice them but this one was bad. Very good movie though, I missed it in the theater but really enjoyed the dvd.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Does anyone know exactly where this layer change occured? Was it at 59 min into the movie, by chance?

I normally never see layer changes using my HTPC, but this time it acted like one, except that it stalled every few seconds after that until I finally ejected the disk and started again from chapter 12. It was fine from then on. It could have been just a defect in the rental disk. I was using the TT player with a LiteOn drive.

I also noticed the muted center channel and lots of EE too.

Carey

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The change occurs at 58 min and 50 seconds ... It was right after the father is hugging the children and it cuts to nicole kidman and the old woman in the kitchen ... they are moving for a second and then it freezes for a split second for the layer change. It's very annoying. It was only for a split second though, so I think maybe the problem you are talking about is much worse, though it does appear that the layer change is your catalyst.

Most of the time I never notice layer changes, but occasionally you get a bad one ... this is probably the absolute WORST I have ever seen!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation! I suspected the layer change triggered the series of pauses somehow, but had never seen that before. It must be one of the worst. I'm amazed how it can send the drive or the decoders into a frenzy that required a restart to fix.

·
Registered
977 Posts
This is the way ghost stories should be done...I loved this film!

There were a number of scenes that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It's too bad about the layer change...I was so transfixed by the story that even the bad layer change startled me. It caught me by surprise, but I shrugged it off and continued watching...this was the only significant sour note on this release.

H

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have only set-up my new ht system about two weeks ago - upgraded from an old prologic set-up: added 3802 and HSU vtf-2 sub, Tosh dvd.

I rented "The Others" last Saturday, and watched it that night with my wife after the kids went to bed.

In the scene where the Kidman character is complaining to the servant about the "running around" upstairs, she looks out the window and sees the two women helpers talking to each other (so it can't be them). Straight after that scene, the camera pans up to the ceiling and loud footsteps run from right front to right rear of the sound stage with very low base. My wife literally jumped off the couch, thinking someone was running down the side of our house (****, ****, **** were her exact words....)

It brought a very wide grin to my face and I think it was right at that point that, in my mind, I justified the expense of my ht upgrade!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I watched this one last night with my wife and we enjoyed it immensely. I guess one benefit of the HTPC is that I've never seen a layer change since I switched over from the DVD player. Never. Can I assume then that folks complaining about the layer change are *not* using a PC?

Cary

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think different DVD players handle layer changes differently.

Can anyone confirm this?

When I set up my HT (sony 1272, 45x80 screen) using a Proscan player (no DTS) for the first couple of months I never noticed the layer change. Then I switched to a Pioneer player and my girlfriend hollers out "layer change" on almost *every* dual layer movie, it's so noticeable.

Possibly I just didn't notice when I first set up the HT. Unfortunately I don't have the Proscan any more to do a test.

I am glad to hear that HTPC's do it seamlessly - this is my next step.

Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.