AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
We actually EQ'd it to be flat all the way up to 300Hz before adding the lowpass filter. I was intending to xover at 80Hz from the get go, but we did do some listening with 60Hz and 120Hz xovers too.

I'm waiting on a coworker to bring over some of his big amplifiers so we can lean on it. He's also going to bring some speakers that will keep up in the MF/HF department and we'll do some shootouts against his MTL-4 bass bins.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Ricci I noticed your horn subs are black and wanted to know what did they use to paint them? As in Duratex or something else?

They have Duratex here but wondered what you have on yours.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Ricci does the SW152 model differ much from the SW150 model?

I only ask because they are selling them for very cheap here in OZ. A company here has some of them and they are selling them for about 250 less than I can get the 152 model.

·
Registered
952 Posts
MTL-4 vs. Othorn - was a way closer comparison than I expected....until you got into that bottom octave. I think it would help the Othorn to have dual opposed drivers in that cabinet - we had the whole thing hopping off the dolly with the right music. The Behringer inuke was garbage when we drove it hard though - the thing would just click off.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I am assuming the Othorn killed it in the bottom octave? Don't forget the MTL-4 with 4 18's is a 20% larger and much heavier cab. Yeah there is a lot of force in that cab at war volume it is best to put something heavy like more cabs on top. Also the bracing in the front of the mouth keeps that panel from flapping in the breeze. Otherwise just sit the cab on that panel. (Driver down) That is why I went with the hatch design not to mention it is easier to mount the driver. Dual opposed drivers would never work or fit in this cab. Hope you are having fun with it Mike.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Something like what?

The Othorn could be used for HT. It goes low enough and with residential room volumes and gain would be no different than a commercial cinema. BUT a lot of people want lower than 20hz and thats where the Ghorn is better.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I feel ashamed that I have not built mine yet. :(

BUT I am finally going to get started in a few months. Drivers will be made in September. 18 Sound 18LW2500. They are cheap for me and I can build a pair of these beasts. FINALLY. Ricci sorry it has taken this long.

Ricci no revisions since 2013 correct?

Also MBentz how are yours treating you?

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Did you model the new 18 sound driver in this cab? I haven't.

No revisions worth getting crazy about. Just incremental stuff like the bracing.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
18 LW2500 models terrific in this horn. I was very happy to see. This is the 1watt(2.83 vs 2v) Almost as sensitive. Probably a variable in there that I missed but they are close enough for me. The 8ohm 2500 will take 97v while the 21 will do 127 I believe. About 5dbs more but I can buy a pair of these 18's for the price of the single 21. Maybe down the road when I have more money I can buy the 21's.

I only wonder does the adapter plate have the 18 at the same throat entrance as the 21? Confusing question to ask.

Does the plate go inside the whole of the 21 opening so the 18 is exactly where the 21 would be? Does this make sense?

Sorry the attachment has the 152 in bold and the 2500 in gray. The 2500 has 290gr Mms, 30 Bl and 14mm Xmax. SO a hefty improvement over the 2400 and all for the same price.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
18 LW2500 models terrific in this horn. I was very happy to see. This is the 1watt(2.83 vs 2v) Almost as sensitive. Probably a variable in there that I missed but they are close enough for me. The 8ohm 2500 will take 97v while the 21 will do 127 I believe. About 5dbs more but I can buy a pair of these 18's for the price of the single 21. Maybe down the road when I have more money I can buy the 21's.

I only wonder does the adapter plate have the 18 at the same throat entrance as the 21? Confusing question to ask.

Does the plate go inside the whole of the 21 opening so the 18 is exactly where the 21 would be? Does this make sense?

Sorry the attachment has the 152 in bold and the 2500 in gray. The 2500 has 290gr Mms, 30 Bl and 14mm Xmax. SO a hefty improvement over the 2400 and all for the same price.
Yes the adapter mounts directly to the 21" driver cut out. Tested it with the 5100 and it worked like a champ. Almost exactly as modeled.

I will have to look at the new 18 sound drivers. It has been a while.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I simulated the 21LW1400 specs from DB and that did just a little more than the 2500. The 1400 rolled off quicker by a few Hz. Other than that the only option is the 9601 series which are not cheap at all. 750 dollars for a 9601 18" or 940 dollars for the BC 21. SO when looking at the 2500 costing about 400 dollars I was very happy.

I am not sure why the 21 LW1400 didnt do better than it did compared to the 2500 though. I pushed the excursion to about 17mm on both the drivers. 113v vs 97v.(21 vs 18) The 152 went to about 127v and 20mm. Whatever the reason I think the 21 LW1400 were about 550 each. I think. Would have to ask again.

I will have to look at that adapter plate again. I think that will be the hardest part to make for me. Getting everything perfectly lineup and sealed. In bold is the 2500 17mm and the 1400 17mm.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 215 Posts