AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
No box for the 24" and I have too many other things to do to go about paying for and building a huge box for it just to test it and then scrap it. I wouldn't hold your breath it will likely be months before it pans out.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
No box for the 24" and I have too many other things to do to go about paying for and building a huge box for it just to test it and then scrap it. I wouldn't hold your breath it will likely be months before it pans out.
We should all take a donation paypal thing for $10 to fund it. If I was closer I'd offer to build it too. I think enough would want to see you test it to help fund the process. I wish I could help but I think I am too far away.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1469039-stereo-integrity-24-subwoofer-not-kidding-8.html#post25794521

Probably continue discussion there. Sorry for thread jack :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Wow, it's been a while since this thread has floated to the top....

I absolutely love the Othorn - except I never have enough amplifier power. Usually the wall outlets are sagging so much that having a bigger amplifier really isn't going to help anyway.

My only complaint is that the motion of the driver is intense enough to get the whole bass cabinet hopping around the floor. I've been trying to find a pair of drivers that I could implement a dual opposed arrangement and modify the folding slightly, but then it really isn't an Othorn anymore. However, there's something about this design that isn't very tapped horn like and it would be great to quantify that so it can be applied elsewhere.

I suppose I could always just bolt two Othorns together so the drivers are moving in opposite directions from each other....that's not a bad idea actually - maybe could make it a clamping system so they're possible to move through doorways and all that.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

I absolutely love the Othorn - except I never have enough amplifier power. Usually the wall outlets are sagging so much that having a bigger amplifier really isn't going to help anyway.

My only complaint is that the motion of the driver is intense enough to get the whole bass cabinet hopping around the floor. I've been trying to find a pair of drivers that I could implement a dual opposed arrangement and modify the folding slightly, but then it really isn't an Othorn anymore. However, there's something about this design that isn't very tapped horn like and it would be great to quantify that so it can be applied elsewhere.

I suppose I could always just bolt two Othorns together so the drivers are moving in opposite directions from each other....that's not a bad idea actually - maybe could make it a clamping system so they're possible to move through doorways and all that.
It is kinda crazy watching a ~250lb sub move itself around. I was shocked when I saw it happen the first time.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts

Would heavier ply and more bracing help?

I think the bracing is 2 pieces over the 24" width so if thats sturdy enough it seems like more weight could help?

Not totally sure as I could use 3 "layers," of bracing also but I am assuming that is not needed. Between the 21" driver moving around I figure that is the main reason. I will be using an 18 for now but will be using marine ply in my build. It definitely weighs more than any other ply I have used before. It is extremely strong or dense which ever is correct. I figured this would help keep the cabinet "grounded."

I could always use a pair of tie down 8000lb straps I have to hold the pair together worst case scenario.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Yeah...I'm really stoked about how the Othorn turned out. As Mike says once you start getting it shoveling out the bass it wants to jump around. Bracing won't help as the forces involved are moving the entire mass of the system around. I really didn't expect that. Bolting or strapping 2 together in an opposed arrangement is probably the best option.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Agreed - it's not a bracing issue. That driver is just massive and pumps real hard.

Btw, is the sub really 240 lbs? I gotta imagine that it is way less. The MTL-4 cabs are much heavier from what I remember...

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
I'm not sure what they weigh. Let me see what Solidworks says...

Othorn cab 106lbs
Othorn v2 cab 111lbs
So...150ish with driver.

GH cab 178lbs
GH v2 cab 172lbs
260lbs or so with a 5400

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
How heavy is BB in a sheet 4x8?

Am I doing something wrong or forgetting something, The 18 Sound 21NLW9601 response is almost identical to the BC 152. The only difference is you need 163v to hit 20mm verse the 152 needing about 127v with Hpass in play. The 9601 is 8ohm and Re is 5.3 verse 4ohm 152 and Re 3.4. So what am I missing?

I thought 163v into 8 ohms was almost 5000watts. I have been in simulation land for a while now so its probably something simple I am forgetting. I would rather have the 6" VC also but will have to see how much the 9601 is. Last time I checked the 152 was cheaper delivered to my door than the 21 9601. Will most likely stick with the 18" 2500 but know its always best to buy once.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I knew that it worked I was just alarmed at the voltage it took to get to 20mm like the 152. The 152 takes less to get to 20mm compared to the 9601 21".

·
Registered
5 Posts
The othorn is an incredible sub. Here in austin we have several large dance rigs. 5 or 6 big "bassmaxx" ones and a Funktion one at various clubs. Bassmaxx HQ is here also, they make really nice giant dual 18" reflex bins. All that is great for what it is, but I would take the othorn(s) any day over a reflex bin. I instantly fell in love with the tapped horn/quarterwave design. The output is massive, just like a reflex bin, but the distortion levels seem to be much much lower. The extension is effortlessly low. Everyone who hears them falls in love with them. You cant really get an idea of it until you hear one. We have only made two, but I want lots more. Hey BTW Josh ricci!!! Clear out your inboxes!!!! :) here is a poor quality video for now. The rattling sound the the stage I didnt have alot of time to set em up and record. They gain at least 10db in "cool look" points.

http://vimeo.com/m/100388207

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Hey man I'm glad you like the subs. If you add another 2 someday I think you will really start having some fun.

I intentionally keep my in boxes full at a couple of forums because I don't frequent them much anymore or the inbox limit is too small. I can't even keep up with my PM's from just a couple of sites anyway so any PM's would probably not be answered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Brotha!! Ya I really want to build some more, hopefully I can figure out how to go the CNC route for sake of sanity ( are there plans?) . Im playing with various ideas of what a good live sound matching top would be for 2-4 othorns per side. Ive found the QSC pl380 to be a really good match. It cant push a pair of the BC 21-152-4s to the absolute max but it gets fairly close. I've put these things through their paces, and have been loaded in and out of my van like 50 times already. They have done 20-30 small gigs and not even a hiccup with power handling or over excursion. Had em going at a little psy trance gathering (really fast stuff) for 72 hours straight, without much heat buildup at all. I think the slightly less performance of the BC 21" vs the TC sounds 18" is made up for ten fold with the peace of mind gained knowing that the B&Cs aren't gonna suddenly give out.

While I would love to stack them sideways all the time like in that little video, I think it will prove difficult to get those hatch panels quiet without some weight. Im gonna brainstorm that one. Right side up they never make any noise and I have had zero issues with them wanting to move around. I have little black moving blankets they sit on. I saw a pic on the Danley website of that "hardpop" club in mexico. They have one TH on the bottom, upside down, and then another on top of it right side up. This seems pretty clever I hadn't even thought of it, would definitely want four per side when going that route if looking to stack a top on there to avoid tippage.

In my mind I'm kind of dreaming of four othorns with a danley Sh-96ho on top per side.......ugh....that would be heaven. :)

141 - 160 of 215 Posts