141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
From HOTP thread:

TV Ratings: ‘The Outsider’ Finale Scores for HBO
By Will Thorne, Variety.com - Mar. 10, 2020

“The Outsider” may not have generated quite as much buzz as “Watchmen” or “True Detective,” but the Stephen King-based drama has drawn more viewers than both.

The Cynthia Erivo and Ben Mendelsohn series’ finale was watched by 2.2 million viewers across all platforms, per HBO, which represents a whopping 1 million viewer boost from the season premiere, hinting at the incremental, word of mouth nature of its success. That 83% gain is also the largest from a debut to a finale for any HBO series in its first season. A season high 1.37 million viewers tuned in during the finale’s initial airing.

Through its first nine episodes, “The Outsider” is currently averaging 9 million viewers across all platforms, the best performance for a new HBO drama series since the first season of “Westworld” in 2016. For comparison, “Watchmen” drew 1.6 million viewers across all platforms to its finale. The much talked about Regina King series averaged just over 7 million viewers per episode, while season 3 of “True Detective” averaged close to 8 million.

“The Outsider” stars Erivo as an unconventional investigator who helps out Ben Mendelsohn’s detective in a murder case in which Jason Bateman’s character is the main suspect. Holly (Erivo) encourages Ralph (Mendelsohn) to “believe the unbelievable.”

Bateman, who was instrumental in bringing the series together and also directed the first two episodes, said at the premiere for “The Outsider” that Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining” was the closest Stephen King adaptation in terms of tone.

“I was trying for ‘Shining’ in that there’s a certain kind of horror that exists in some of Stephen King’s books and there’s a certain kind of dread in others. This aligned better with the dread, the impending doom of the ‘The Shining,’ the moody, atmospheric kind of stuff,” Bateman said. “I’m a huge Kubrick fan composition-wise and in terms of lighting, he was a huge inspiration for me.”

The series hails from Civic Center Media in association with MRC Television.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the...gs-1203529133/

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
So HBO is going to try to make another season, just as they did with Big Little Lies, which was also based on a book without a sequel if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
That would be tough to pull off, because a lot of what drove this season was Ralph and others' skepticism in the supernatural.

Even the narrative, despite being based on a Stephen King story, sustained suspense about the nature of the villain for a good portion of the season.

Holly didn't even enter the picture until what, episode 3 or 4?

Obviously they can't do that again. But the big bad was already killed, unless we're suppose to believe he transferred to Holly. But then that wouldn't leave much suspense would it?

More than likely, if they want to use the same characters, who are now wise to El Cuco, they should come up with some other nemesis.

But maybe they should have a more conventional crime, like out of True Detective or Sharp Objects, than do another supernatural thing.

Since Holly and Ralph are believers now, a supernatural villain won't have the same impact.

·
Registered
20,442 Posts
The thing with supernatural beings, they are hard to kill. They may have killed it, but we don’t know for sure. I think the other series that Holly is in is the Bill Hodges trilogy, but I think that is being done by a different studio. They could do anthology type, but really it would be up to creators if they wanted to. Just because HBO wants to do another one, doesn’t mean one will happen.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
Lehane and Price May decline to do another season.

I believe the creative guy behind big Little Lies season 1 declined the second season.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The only way a Season 2 would make sense is if it becomes something like "The Adventures of Holly"... as she stated quite plainly that she and "it" were both "Outsiders."

The original book left no room in the story for the creature to reappear so if they diverge on that point then who knows where it would go.

·
Premium Member
35,429 Posts
The thing with supernatural beings, they are hard to kill. They may have killed it, but we don’t know for sure. I think the other series that Holly is in is the Bill Hodges trilogy, but I think that is being done by a different studio. They could do anthology type, but really it would be up to creators if they wanted to. Just because HBO wants to do another one, doesn’t mean one will happen.
This is based on personal experience or...?:p:D

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
El cuco is a beast of myth and legend. There is no way he/it is killed by a suburban cop who couldn't find his shoelaces if his life depended on it.

If there is a 2nd season I don't want to see Ralph or anyone as dull as him.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
El cuco is a beast of myth and legend. There is no way he/it is killed by a suburban cop who couldn't find his shoelaces if his life depended on it.

If there is a 2nd season I don't want to see Ralph or anyone as dull as him.
You continue to rag on Ralph. He was written that way by Stephen King. His character can only see black and white with actual facts that make sane sense. There is no sane sense in someone being in two places at the same time. He simply doesn't believe it because his common sense dictates that all the evidence points to one person no matter what hocus pocus seems to point out. The entire story is about his journey to come around to something that doesn't make sense to him. That journey leads him to toss his common sense out the window and try to believe in the impossible. It's a hard journey that is not easily travelled for him.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
It's also much easier to be critical when you are on your sofa and know so much more than the character.

It could be that I watched this series over the last 5 days without having to wait a week in-between to over-analyze everything, and while it wasn't perfect, I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Each night I looked forward to sitting down to see what happened next.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You continue to rag on Ralph. He was written that way by Stephen King. His character can only see black and white with actual facts that make sane sense. There is no sane sense in someone being in two places at the same time. He simply doesn't believe it because his common sense dictates that all the evidence points to one person no matter what hocus pocus seems to point out. The entire story is about his journey to come around to something that doesn't make sense to him. That journey leads him to toss his common sense out the window and try to believe in the impossible. It's a hard journey that is not easily travelled for him.
I haven't read this one but I've read plenty of Stephen King books, all I'll say is his characters tend to be a bit more complex, maybe its a case of book not translating well to the screen which is common.

My problem is not with him disbelieving the supernatural but how he patronizes his wife, won't apologize for his fatal mistakes, ignores and hides evidence, and is an incompetent cop when it counts (doesn't do any actual detective work, is totally useless in the shootout). None of that is about whether or not he believes. I just didn't find anything likeable about him except for the actor.

Perhaps its best if HBO don't make a 2nd season.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
The series was popular, got good ratings, in large part because of the cast.

So if they do another season, of course the main cast members will be back.

It did better than True Detective in the ratings so maybe HBO should make this the anthology mystery show.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I thought the ending was just OK...reread the last several chapters of the book and much preferred the book ending. Holly is more the hero in that version and much more time is given to the effort/conspiracy to clear Terry Maitland's name.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
So why did Outsider look like broadcast Directv over HBO Go, where other series like The Watchmen looks like a perfect Blu Ray. Artistic choices don't account for compression artifacts and grey blacks.

Excellent show btw, absolutely did the book justice!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I watched the first episode last night and read the first couple of pages of this thread to the point the discussion got spoilery. The sense I got was episodes 1 and 2 are good, show lots of promise; ep. 3 not as good, at which point the show starts to turn more toward the supernatural, which some here welcomed while others had misgivings.

So what was the final verdict on this? Thumbs up or thumbs down? At least as good as Castle Rock on Hulu? The professional reviews seem mixed, but lean positive.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I watched the first episode last night and read the first couple of pages of this thread to the point the discussion got spoilery. The sense I got was episodes 1 and 2 are good, show lots of promise; ep. 3 not as good, at which point the show starts to turn more toward the supernatural, which some here welcomed while others had misgivings.

So what was the final verdict on this? Thumbs up or thumbs down? At least as good as Castle Rock on Hulu? The professional reviews seem mixed, but lean positive.
It comes from a Stephen King novel, supernatural or horror should be expected. As a Stephen King reader and watcher of his video works I liked both Outsider and Castle Rock, especially season 2 of rock.

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #160

Huge thumbs up, in part too for the incredible cast. This is acted so well. Nice slow burn that is very interesting. I recommend it.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts