AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 673 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'The Pacific' on HBO HD

10 Part Series, Sundays at 9pm ET, premier episode March, 14, 2010

1080i & DD5.1

The highly anticipated WWII companion piece to the highly acclaimed 'Band Of Brothers', 'The Pacific' will tell the stories of three Marines in the World War II Pacific theater of action; Eugene Sledge (With the Old Breed), Robert Leckie (Helmet for My Pillow), and John Basilone, and much more.

Part One: Shipping Out

The series begins in the aftermath of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and follows the 1st Marine Division landing on Guadalcanal in August 1942.

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's up in HD & DD5.1, on the HBO digital network.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Oh. my. god. That was an amazing first episode. In stunning HD nonetheless.

Edit: And obviously the great music that goes with this was done in part by Hans Zimmer.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
CLASSIC, Wow I loved "Band of Brothers", yet it didn't really take off untill the second episode. "The Pacific" begins on such a high note, with in my opinion just the right amount of character development. The HD visuals get a "10" the color timing was superb and slightly more saturated than "Band..O.B.". The music theme is real atmospheric and the sound was realistic and jarring at times. The pacing was perfect and action sequences put the viewer in the middle of WWII. If "The Pacific" can keep up this level of artistry (and from the looks of the preview it will) it may out do even the great "Band..O.B.".

·
Registered
69 Posts
FANTASTIC. "5 star" HD, audio, acting and script. 1st episode -- Riveting. Felt the "call to duty" America had post December 7, 1941.

Thank you Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Hanks --- again.

Something tells me I gonna have to cancel ALL plans for the next nine Sunday nights from 2100 - 2200.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Great start only complaint - too short. It would've been nice for at least a two-hour premiere but then I'd probably still be complaining when it went to the 1-hour schedule. It's a different feel when the episodes are 60 minutes or less. I prefer 90, give or take 15 minutes, to keep the story moving at less predictable pace.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
How long was the actual episode? With the 7 to 8 minute opening (credits and what not) and then it ending at 9:52. It was almost as long as a regular cable show...

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18312168

Great start only complaint - too short. It would've been nice for at least a two-hour premiere

Too short, too fast. They threw them into battle with hardly any character introduction. They went from Christmas 1941 to August 1942 in about five minutes.

I'm all for getting to the battle scenes but that jump seemed too jarring.

The rest of it was as expected. Atmopshere, visual effects, writing ... all excellent.

Reactions: OnePCWhiz

·
Registered
5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/18312264

Too short, too fast. They threw them into battle with hardly any character introduction. They went from Christmas 1941 to August 1942 in about five minutes.

I understand your gripe and felt the same way when I saw the August '42 caption too but then I thought, great, we don't need to see that long familiar voyage done countless times in WWII films and learn about the characters there. Let's get right to the theater of war and let the games begin.

Reactions: OnePCWhiz

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/18312264

The rest of it was as expected. Atmopshere, visual effects, writing ... all excellent.

I'm with you on this one. I would've like to see at least the first episode dedicated to getting to know the characters. They did a good job with this in band of brothers.

I think this series is going to be great!

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18312396

I understand your gripe and felt the same way when I saw the August '42 caption too but then I thought, great, we don't need to see that long familiar voyage done countless times in WWII films and learn about the characters there. Let's get right to the theater of war and let the games begin.

Except the problem with that is it gets to one of the major problems of any war movie much faster as well. Which is that in identical uniforms it's hard to tell one character from the next. Especially when it's dark and in a panic situation. At least when you have some non-combat situations to build up their identities you have more chance of recognizing who is doing what and where.

The only two guys I could identify throughout the first episode were William Sadler and the guy who played Chase on 24. The rest of the faces and voices all just became one blur.

I had no idea who the guy was cowering in the trench. He seemed to have been important, but I couldn't even remember if he had been in the episode earlier.

In BoB the first episode may have been a slower intro to the series, but by the time they hit Europe you could pick out their voices and personalities pretty easily amongst the chaos.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/18312461

Except the problem with that is it gets to one of the major problems of any war movie much faster as well. Which is that in identical uniforms it's hard to tell one character from the next. Especially when it's dark and in a panic situation. At least when you have some non-combat situations to build up their identities you have more chance of recognizing who is doing what and where.

The only two guys I could identify throughout the first episode were William Sadler and the guy who played Chase on 24. The rest of the faces and voices all just became one blur.

I had no idea who the guy was cowering in the trench. He seemed to have been important, but I couldn't even remember if he had been in the episode earlier.

In BoB the first episode may have been a slower intro to the series, but by the time they hit Europe you could pick out their voices and personalities pretty easily amongst the chaos.

So you have to work a little harder.
I think that's the filmmakers intent. We have to keep on our toes just like the characters.

And I thought the guy was their leader cowering in the foxhole. That was reinforced when they promoted one of the marines to corporal and mentioned that the other guy was relieved.

Like I said, I understand your point and was apprehensive too but this tension adds to the viewing experience for me.

Just give us more to sink our teeth into.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud /forum/post/18312542

... The guy in the trench was the gungho captain (you could see his bars).

Right, the guy barking all the commands.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18312528

And I thought it was the guy who was their leader cowering in the foxhole. That was reinforced when they promoted one of the marines to corporal and mentioned that the other guy was relieved.

Exactly! You "thought" it was him, but you didn't know for sure that it was. That kind of affects the dramatic atmosphere if you don't know the guy who just broke down is supposed to be leading them, and since they'll probably never feature him again it damaged the moment. Either because you couldn't recognize his importance or because you are thinking "Who is that guy? Is he one of the main characters?" instead of being caught up in the scene.

Anyway, it's a small annoyance and we are already head first into the chaos now. So they can't go back, and forward is still looking to be enthralling television.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/18312574

That kind of affects the dramatic atmosphere if you don't know the guy who just broke down is supposed to be leading them, and since they'll probably never feature him again it damaged the moment. ...

Exactly! (as you would say
), This is why the style is working for me. I was agitated too but not to the point where I was removed from the experience. I was sitting on the edge weaving and ducking like they wereand-- I gave the guy in the foxhole the same confused look as the character did who was looking down on him. It is brilliant so far.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/18312602

I gave the guy in the foxhole the same confused look as the character did who was looking down on him. It is brilliant so far.

Wouldn't it make more sense if the character (another unrecognizable one!) looking down did recognize him and wondered how their leader crumbled so quickly, instead of wondering who he was like you were?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I read somewhere that since the fight against Japan was more chaotic than the fight against Germany, this miniseries is going to be more chaotic than Band of Brothers. And that was a deliberate decision by Hanks, Spielberg, et al.

1 - 20 of 673 Posts